Op-EdInstructions for Making a Star Trek PhaserOp-Ed - RSS 2.0
If you're curious about the nuts and bolts behind the phaser construction from this week's episode of The Escapist Show, you've come to the right place. Here you'll find a list of all the materials you'll need for the project, as well as step-by-step instructions. Please remember to follow all necessary safety precautions and don't use your phaser to rob a bank, or anything.
Let's start with a list of the items you'll need.
- Star Trek toy phaser (www.thinkgeek.com)
- Laser diode module (www.laserdiy.com)
- Laser driver circuit (www.laserdiy.com)
- 4Ω(Ohm) resistor (www.laserdiy.com, www.digikey.com)
- Single channel optoisolator (www.sparkfun.com , www.digikey.com)
- 3v coin cell battery w/ holder (Radio Shack #2032)
- Soldering iron with temperature control
- Wire strippers/cutters
- Sturdy razor or utility knife
- Non-conductive glue (cyanoacrylate recommended)
- Safety glasses, for use with power tools
- Safety goggles, for use with lasers (must block the specific frequency of your laser, and should cover your peripheral vision, too)
(Note: I used welding goggles with a special plate. They function both as safety glasses, and very effective laser protection.)
Now that you've got the equipment you'll need, let's move on to the actual construction.