If you're curious about the nuts and bolts behind the phaser construction from this week's episode of The Escapist Show, you've come to the right place. Here you'll find a list of all the materials you'll need for the project, as well as step-by-step instructions. Please remember to follow all necessary safety precautions and don't use your phaser to rob a bank, or anything.
Let's start with a list of the items you'll need.
- Star Trek toy phaser (www.thinkgeek.com)
- Laser diode module (www.laserdiy.com)
- Laser driver circuit (www.laserdiy.com)
- 4Ω(Ohm) resistor (www.laserdiy.com, www.digikey.com)
- Single channel optoisolator (www.sparkfun.com , www.digikey.com)
- 3v coin cell battery w/ holder (Radio Shack #2032)
- Soldering iron with temperature control
- Wire strippers/cutters
- Sturdy razor or utility knife
- Non-conductive glue (cyanoacrylate recommended)
- Safety glasses, for use with power tools
- Safety goggles, for use with lasers (must block the specific frequency of your laser, and should cover your peripheral vision, too)
(Note: I used welding goggles with a special plate. They function both as safety glasses, and very effective laser protection.)
Now that you've got the equipment you'll need, let's move on to the actual construction.