Rick and Morty Season 3 Talk

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Honestly, despite that the episode was pretty awesome ... I really feel disgusted with Rick himself. He went from "Selfish geezer that wanted to make up to his family by sacrificing himself" to "Selfish geezer that uses everyone to get what he wants with 0 f***s given".

It ruined his redemption, his moment of character development in the finale of Season 2. It was all a lie just to get Jerry to move out, causing greater stress and heartache on his family. Sure Jerry wasn't the best father but he didn't deserve that crap. I know my rant is mainly on Rick but .... the build up of character development was shot down by Season 3, which makes me uninterested in Rick entirely.

Makes me wonder what's the point. I'm mostly watching the show now to see if karma bites Rick in the @$$ hard, like Morty getting fed up and killing him or if Evil Morty will do the job instead. As odd as it sounds, I want to see Rick get punished for being such a huge dick to his family, letting things escalate and risk Morty's sister from dying or anything happening to her overall. Hell, what if Morty died in that arena? Rick just isn't likable or unique like he was back then ... he's just a huge prick, so it's hard to root for him.

About the episode itself, my favorite part was Summer walking home and arguing with her husband about his lack of motivation to murder people. It was just odd but hilarious at the same time.

I suspect the angle that will be played will be you don't know what you got till it's gone. Rick believes that remvoing Jerry from the picture is going to give him everything he wants, but I suspect that as the series goes on it will start to show that while Jerry was indeed a drag he was also an integral part of the machine and that by removing him Rick has actually made things worse. It would also be an interesting twist to see Rick, someone who considers himself so smart and never wrong to come to the conclusion that getting rid of Jerry was actually the wrong thing to do.

The first episode hinted at this when the Summer and Morty robots he built to try and reinforce to Beth that she doesn't need Jerry and that the family is actually better without him actually end up making her want to talk to him.

Loved the inro and outro scenes with the wind whispering 'looser'.

Rick has always been the villain of the show. It was obvious his redemption arc was never real. Hell, he's created an entire universe to enslave them to power his car! I wouldn't be surprised if he's not really Rick c-137 at all. Maybe he killed that particular Rick, maybe that Rick was never intending to come back, and TV show Rick is just using a spare family to do his shit for a spell.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if season 3 ends with Morty and Summer dead, Rick just shrugs, uses his portal to go to a new reality, and the show just picks up there, new Smith family, same old Rick using them.

Laughing Man:
I suspect the angle that will be played will be you don't know what you got till it's gone. Rick believes that remvoing Jerry from the picture is going to give him everything he wants, but I suspect that as the series goes on it will start to show that while Jerry was indeed a drag he was also an integral part of the machine and that by removing him Rick has actually made things worse. It would also be an interesting twist to see Rick, someone who considers himself so smart and never wrong to come to the conclusion that getting rid of Jerry was actually the wrong thing to do.

The first episode hinted at this when the Summer and Morty robots he built to try and reinforce to Beth that she doesn't need Jerry and that the family is actually better without him actually end up making her want to talk to him.

It's very clearly rick's voice.
Between the wind and the wolf, I assume rick's using science to covertly sabotage Jerry from behind the scenes.

Souplex:

Laughing Man:

Between the wind and the wolf, I assume rick's using science to covertly sabotage Jerry from behind the scenes.

If that turns out true, then wow ... Rick's kicking a man while he's down at this point. Why would he need to do that, when Jerry is already out of the picture? I mean christ, let the man redeem himself as a father, not ruin his entire life despite losing his family.

I dunno what you're talkin bout fam, Rick's just as much of an asshole as he always was. No more, no less.

Favorite part of the episode was Summer and Jerry's moment near the end. As much of a poor father figure Jerry is, he's still fun to watch, and I hope they don't actually remove him from the show.

Meh, Rick is Rick and I hadly doubt they will changed the status quo in just 3 seasons!

Beside with only 3 seasons in so far, Rick is still an enigma even with his "origin" story at the season 3 premier.

Scarim Coral:
Meh, Rick is Rick and I hadly doubt they will changed the status quo in just 3 seasons!

Beside with only 3 seasons in so far, Rick is still an enigma even with his "origin" story at the season 3 premier.

I don't think he's much an an enigma, its just everyone around him is mentally ill(Beth certainly, arguably Summer) or plain stupid(Morty and Jerry). Any reasonable person would see Rick as the controlling, egotistical, anti-social, manipulative sociopath he doesn't even try to hide and just move on.

Caramel Frappe:

Souplex:

Laughing Man:

If that turns out true, then wow ... Rick's kicking a man while he's down at this point. Why would he need to do that, when Jerry is already out of the picture? I mean christ, let the man redeem himself as a father, not ruin his entire life despite losing his family.

That's exactly Rick's style. It's never enough to just prove that he's right. He'll make you pay for it too.

You're annoyed by Rick being a selfish bastard?

I mean, okay, you do you, but it makes me wonder what show you've been watching up until now.

Personally I was a bit miffed about the status quo reset. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry moves back in within a couple of episodes. Apart from that it's just more of the same, which I'm fine with.

Caramel Frappe:
Honestly, despite that the episode was pretty awesome ... I really feel disgusted with Rick himself. He went from "Selfish geezer that wanted to make up to his family by sacrificing himself" to "Selfish geezer that uses everyone to get what he wants with 0 f***s given".

It ruined his redemption, his moment of character development in the finale of Season 2. It was all a lie just to get Jerry to move out, causing greater stress and heartache on his family. Sure Jerry wasn't the best father but he didn't deserve that crap. I know my rant is mainly on Rick but .... the build up of character development was shot down by Season 3, which makes me uninterested in Rick entirely.

Makes me wonder what's the point. I'm mostly watching the show now to see if karma bites Rick in the @$$ hard, like Morty getting fed up and killing him or if Evil Morty will do the job instead. As odd as it sounds, I want to see Rick get punished for being such a huge dick to his family, letting things escalate and risk Morty's sister from dying or anything happening to her overall. Hell, what if Morty died in that arena? Rick just isn't likable or unique like he was back then ... he's just a huge prick, so it's hard to root for him.

About the episode itself, my favorite part was Summer walking home and arguing with her husband about his lack of motivation to murder people. It was just odd but hilarious at the same time.

Maybe evil Morty is secretly good Morty but we didn't know that because we were viewing everything from a perspective where Rick was the good guy (sort of) because that's the common trope for the protagonist?

DraconianMod:

Maybe evil Morty is secretly good Morty but we didn't know that because we were viewing everything from a perspective where Rick was the good guy (sort of) because that's the common trope for the protagonist?

I'm not one for Youtube theories, but this one is...interesting.

Might as well make this series talk. I didn't really like the 3rd episode (or the second for that matter). I felt the concept only exists for memes' sake and the violence and gore crossed the point of being disturbing into just monotonous with most of the episode not being that funny. Beth becomes pretty much unsalavgable as a character as at least Jerry cares for his kids.

So Pickle Rick has come and gone and wow, they weren't kidding when they said this is the darkest season yet.

Rick has gone from an eccentric, if unpredictable, old fuck to a straight up emotional dictator. He effortlessly cock-blocks the therapist from helping Morty and Summer, both of whom want to go back to discuss their problems, but nope, Rick invites Beth out for drinks, and as the 'good' mother she is, she doesn't want to deal with other people's problems, just get validation for her choices.

Seriously Beth has gone from longing for Rick's approval to straight out loving him. And not the father/daughter way. I'm getting serious romantic feelings vibes. She throws away her husband, her children, objective reality and facts to please him, and seems willing to go to any lengths to make sure Rick is happy over everyone else. She's obsessed with his feeling and approval, and I'm calling it now when Summer and Morty inevitably force her to choose, she's gonna choose Rick.

Also sadly they forgot to do the comedy part. Pickle Rick got old really fast, the weird European prison part was boring and predictable, and the therapy session was just uncomfortable.

I give Pickle Rick a 5/10.

Yeah it was weird Rick says something along the lines of he turned himself in to a pickle because he could but no one else could and the episode kind of came off as we can have Rick do all this uber gore killing and blowing stuff up because we can, the set up felt like it was exactly that a set up to get him in a situation where he could do all this stuff rather than a progressive set of circumstances that naturally lead to him having to do what he had to do to get free.

Though I am getting a build up to event feeling here, this episode showed two real extremes. You had Beth going headlong in to just putting up with any and all sh*t Rick will get up to and you had Rick showing what he is willing to do to try and circumvent talking or resolving the issues the family has and at some point as Silentpony said their will come a moment where Beth has to choose however unlike Silentpony I suspect that Beth will suddenly see sense and choose the other option, the non Rick option.

Laughing Man:
SNIP

I disagree. Beth had already made it clear she'd rather the entire family remain in hiding, her children forgoing their entire lives, as long as Rick is there. Beth is literally obsessed with Rick staying, no matter the price.
She was 100% willing to throw away the futures of Morty, Summer, Jerry, and herself to keep Rick around. And then she threw away Jerry all together.
And ep3 shows reality and her family's mental health take a backseat, literally, to Rick's happiness.
I mean I can't think of a better metaphor for this photo.

Morty is pissing himself with stress, Summer is doing whatever it takes to get high and ignore reality, both want to keep seeing the therapist for mental stability, and Beth is obsessed with ditching the kids and getting a drink with her naked father. I mean...come on!

I disagree. Beth had already made it clear she'd rather the entire family remain in hiding...

That's the hook though, Rick knows he can get away and do whatever he wants and Beth will keep the family in tow, to the extent that she will actually ignore the requests of her children to get the help needed to help fix them and at some point, not sure when but I would guess a few episodes from now something will happen that Beth cannot ignore and just flip round. She'll come to the conclusion that while she considers Rick to be important in her life we already know how important Rick considers her and her family, like he said he literally left HIS Beth in a universe that he cronenberged.

The problem is Beth at the moment doesn't see this, it will roll round to a point where Beth tells Rick, I while put up with your shit but only to the extent that it isn't pulling our lives apart and if you can't deal with that then you'll need to leave, the big twist being that a guy who has shown throughout that he really doesn't give a f*ck will suddenly have come to terms with having limitations placed on him, weather we see him chose to agree or leave, well seems like a nice end of season hook.

I could be wrong it may not happen things may stay as they are the problem is that the characters don't grow or change. Beth has always wanted to do whatever she can to keep her father in the family and Rick has always had a care free do whatever the f*ck I like because I don't care about anyone attitude and you have to agree that this episode took both those character arcs to their limit.

Maybe the point is parents are terrible and this show isnt the Simpsons where it tries to justify its dysfunctional family as somehow a "good thing"?

Silentpony:
So Pickle Rick has come and gone and wow, they weren't kidding when they said this is the darkest season yet.

Rick has gone from an eccentric, if unpredictable, old fuck to a straight up emotional dictator. He effortlessly cock-blocks the therapist from helping Morty and Summer, both of whom want to go back to discuss their problems, but nope, Rick invites Beth out for drinks, and as the 'good' mother she is, she doesn't want to deal with other people's problems, just get validation for her choices.

Seriously Beth has gone from longing for Rick's approval to straight out loving him. And not the father/daughter way. I'm getting serious romantic feelings vibes. She throws away her husband, her children, objective reality and facts to please him, and seems willing to go to any lengths to make sure Rick is happy over everyone else. She's obsessed with his feeling and approval, and I'm calling it now when Summer and Morty inevitably force her to choose, she's gonna choose Rick.

Also sadly they forgot to do the comedy part. Pickle Rick got old really fast, the weird European prison part was boring and predictable, and the therapy session was just uncomfortable.

I give Pickle Rick a 5/10.

European prison? I thought it was south American?
just had the stereotypical English bad guy.

the episode would have been better if they hadn't shown all the best bits. it also looks like they cut a few things out. that part with the big rat and rick is saying 'I didn't give you a name' looked like there may have been a build up.

the problem i'm having with this show is that there is a lot going on now and they just don't have the time to go into depth about it.

Laughing Man:

I disagree. Beth had already made it clear she'd rather the entire family remain in hiding...

That's the hook though, Rick knows he can get away and do whatever he wants and Beth will keep the family in tow, to the extent that she will actually ignore the requests of her children to get the help needed to help fix them and at some point, not sure when but I would guess a few episodes from now something will happen that Beth cannot ignore and just flip round. She'll come to the conclusion that while she considers Rick to be important in her life we already know how important Rick considers her and her family, like he said he literally left HIS Beth in a universe that he cronenberged.

The problem is Beth at the moment doesn't see this, it will roll round to a point where Beth tells Rick, I while put up with your shit but only to the extent that it isn't pulling our lives apart and if you can't deal with that then you'll need to leave, the big twist being that a guy who has shown throughout that he really doesn't give a f*ck will suddenly have come to terms with having limitations placed on him, weather we see him chose to agree or leave, well seems like a nice end of season hook.

I could be wrong it may not happen things may stay as they are the problem is that the characters don't grow or change. Beth has always wanted to do whatever she can to keep her father in the family and Rick has always had a care free do whatever the f*ck I like because I don't care about anyone attitude and you have to agree that this episode took both those character arcs to their limit.

I don't see that in her. I think Beth could catch Rick conducting a vivisection on Morty, and her mania would simply shut it out. She wouldn't recognize the blood and screams for what they were, and instead as Rick if he needs a sandwich or a soda and then comment how glad she is he's back.
Beth doesn't have it in her to do anything that might drive Rick away.

Silentpony:

Laughing Man:

I don't see that in her. I think Beth could catch Rick conducting a vivisection on Morty, and her mania would simply shut it out. She wouldn't recognize the blood and screams for what they were, and instead as Rick if he needs a sandwich or a soda and then comment how glad she is he's back.
Beth doesn't have it in her to do anything that might drive Rick away.

Hmmm perhaps, I dunno the weird thing is if you take a look back at the first episode of this season, to the scene with Summer and Morty revisiting what would essentially be Rick's real family back on Cronoberg Universe the scene where Jerry smashes Rick's portal gun, saying 'it stinks of Rick' you can actually see Beth sitting at the side with a smile on her face, she seems to glad about the destruction of anything related to Rick. I am not going to read to much in to the reasons why she smiles but surely she should be a bit shocked about Jerry destroying the only thing that could bring Rick back to her.

So their is at least one Beth somewhere, a Beth that also happens to BE Rick's Beth that has come to terms with the disappearance of her father again.

It's just the concept of a Rick that has no boundaries to what he can get away with is a bit boring. Having him leashed lends a degree of conflict to what he can and can;t get away with, a good example of the fact that he does care, at least about something is the scene where he kills King Jelly Bean, he benefited in no way from doing this, Morty was unlikely to go screaming to his mother about it in fact Rick could have used it as an opportunity to rub it in that Morty's adventure sucked but he didn't he didn;t even do it in front of Morty to win favour with him. Somewhere Rick cares it's just waiting to see what that limit that triggers him is.

So...again, I'm not sure how I feel about this newest episode. The joke of the totally not Avengers getting the Saw treatment was funny for like a minute.
And Rick going to such extremes to kill the people Morty idolizes is just...lame. It was a lame idea, poorly executed.

Also it felt very snotty. Like one of the writers wanted to write for Marvel, but didn't make the cut, so they just made an episode bitching about how all super heroes are the same and aren't very heroic at all.

Silentpony:
So...again, I'm not sure how I feel about this newest episode. The joke of the totally not Avengers getting the Saw treatment was funny for like a minute.
And Rick going to such extremes to kill the people Morty idolizes is just...lame. It was a lame idea, poorly executed.

Also it felt very snotty. Like one of the writers wanted to write for Marvel, but didn't make the cut, so they just made an episode bitching about how all super heroes are the same and aren't very heroic at all.

Yeah, once again it's not a funny episode besides very few moments, didn't have any clever point that wasn't done to death a billion times already in a better way and Rick just feels hollow in how much of an asshole he is. It's like they took "Meeseeks and Destroy" and removed everything witty or emotional about it (and that's without talking about the excellent B-plot, meaning that half episode is better than this full episode).

What happened to the writing team? Did they stop giving a shit once they realized they got the hype to self perpetuate themselves?

inu-kun:

Silentpony:

Yeah, once again it's not a funny episode besides very few moments, didn't have any clever point that wasn't done to death a billion times already in a better way and Rick just feels hollow in how much of an asshole he is. It's like they took "Meeseeks and Destroy" and removed everything witty or emotional about it (and that's without talking about the excellent B-plot, meaning that half episode is better than this full episode).

What happened to the writing team? Did they stop giving a shit once they realized they got the hype to self perpetuate themselves?

I wonder if they jumped the shark with the season premiere? Like Rick destroys the federal government, kills countless millions of Ricks and Mortys, and deliberately breaks up his daughter's marriage just to ensure no one calls him on his bullshit.
There isn't much more you can do with a character after that.

On top of that he went out of his way to sabotage his own grandchildren's therapy session so, again, no one calls him on his bullshit.

I remember hearing from one of the Cons that the reason season 3 was delayed so long was because it took so long to write. They really fine-tuned these scripts. And I honestly don't see it.
Rick is a pickle.
Lets do Fury Road.
What if the Avengers were assholes.

These plot-lines would take a 14 year old a single robitussin fueled afternoon to write.

Side-note: I feel...uneasy that the teasers for this episode had the producers and writers talk about the world eater guy as some huge badass for the season and how they're expanding the cast, etc...only for it all to be lies. It's simply misleading, like when Marvel said the villain of Iron Man 3 was the Mandarin.

Silentpony:

I wonder if they jumped the shark with the season premiere? Like Rick destroys the federal government, kills countless millions of Ricks and Mortys, and deliberately breaks up his daughter's marriage just to ensure no one calls him on his bullshit.
There isn't much more you can do with a character after that.

On top of that he went out of his way to sabotage his own grandchildren's therapy session so, again, no one calls him on his bullshit.

I remember hearing from one of the Cons that the reason season 3 was delayed so long was because it took so long to write. They really fine-tuned these scripts. And I honestly don't see it.
Rick is a pickle.
Lets do Fury Road.
What if the Avengers were assholes.

These plot-lines would take a 14 year old a single robitussin fueled afternoon to write.

Side-note: I feel...uneasy that the teasers for this episode had the producers and writers talk about the world eater guy as some huge badass for the season and how they're expanding the cast, etc...only for it all to be lies. It's simply misleading, like when Marvel said the villain of Iron Man 3 was the Mandarin.

At the rate this is going the only way to salvage this season (if not the show) is having Rick call out fans still praising it to having shitty taste and laughting at reference humour (like that reference humour joke they did in a previous season).

inu-kun:
SNIP

Honestly, and maybe this is just my bitterness, I'd like to see Jerry get a win. During the divorce he gets fully custody of the kids(cause he at least loves them, which is more than I can say for Beth), Rick is forced into an old person's home, and Beth is left emotionally devastated when it turns out the kids are happier and healthier without her.

Also the Israel comment just got me confused. If I'm being optimistic it might have been the writer critcizing superheroes not touching current problems that are more than black and white (though Marvel does it but just turns it into black and white morality anyways). If not then one of the writers is getting it's politics on Marvel style (which is another step down in the show's quality) but then he uses fucking Rick as way to put a message-a guy with absolutely no sense of morality, should we take his opinion or take the opposite opinion?
And I don't think Rick ever mention political issues besides that, especially blatantly like this (which conflicts with his nihilism) so it's not even in character for him.

inu-kun:
Also the Israel comment just got me confused. If I'm being optimistic it might have been the writer critcizing superheroes not touching current problems that are more than black and white (though Marvel does it but just turns it into black and white morality anyways). If not then one of the writers is getting it's politics on Marvel style (which is another step down in the show's quality) but then he uses fucking Rick as way to put a message-a guy with absolutely no sense of morality, should we take his opinion or take the opposite opinion?
And I don't think Rick ever mention political issues besides that, especially blatantly like this (which conflicts with his nihilism) so it's not even in character for him.

It was just a joke in reference to a real-life Rick Sanchez, a reporter fired from CNN due to alleged anti-semitism.

Johnny Novgorod:

inu-kun:

It was just a joke in reference to a real-life Rick Sanchez, a reporter fired from CNN due to alleged anti-semitism.

At least it's not as bad as I thought but once again it's reference humour, the (currently) lowest form of humour. And an out of character one at that

Finally a decent episode, had a cool idea (which was a bit underutilized) and Beth gets called on her shit.

Finally a decent episode, had a cool idea (which was a bit underutilized) and Beth gets called on her shit.

Which one the immortality field or the bit where they all meld in to one being inside the wormhole? It was a fun episode I just found the way Rick suddenly became all pally with Jerry a bit weird but I guess we got a bit of an insight as to why Rick really hates Jerry.

Funniest bit of the episode,

- do you see the button
- yes
- push the button (Beth pushes the button and a door on the side opens)
- We're FREEEEEEEE!

inu-kun:

It was an actually good episode! Jerry and Rick finally buried the hatchet. And Morty just giving his mom the works was great! Beth is terrible.

Laughing Man:

Which one the immortality field or the bit where they all meld in to one being inside the wormhole? It was a fun episode I just found the way Rick suddenly became all pally with Jerry a bit weird but I guess we got a bit of an insight as to why Rick really hates Jerry.

Funniest bit of the episode,

- do you see the button
- yes
- push the button (Beth pushes the button and a door on the side opens)
- We're FREEEEEEEE!

The murder resort idea, I wish they played with it a bit more but on the other hand the violence has got extreme for the sake of being extreme this season, they need to save it for the appropriate moment.

Also the joke was kinda stolen from Men in Black 2.

Another good episode, that gap in quality is really weird.

inu-kun:
Another good episode, that gap in quality is really weird.

Right? Its really jarring.

Also this episode makes me wonder at the origin of Evil Morty. Like what if evil Morty is healthy Morty with Rick's toxins?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here