Rick and Morty Season 3 Talk

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Silentpony:

inu-kun:
Another good episode, that gap in quality is really weird.

Right? Its really jarring.

Also this episode makes me wonder at the origin of Evil Morty. Like what if evil Morty is healthy Morty with Rick's toxins?

I think evil Morty will just be an anticlimax in both origins and future because that's the show's favourite move.

It's interesting that Rick thinks as Morty as his weakness, it's logical and tones down a bit the vileness he had for the past season. Hopefully the writers will keep in mind as Rick started bacoming just straight uncomfortable. Also the opening for the episode was excellent.

inu-kun:

Silentpony:

inu-kun:
Another good episode, that gap in quality is really weird.

Also this episode makes me wonder at the origin of Evil Morty. Like what if evil Morty is healthy Morty with Rick's toxins?

I think evil Morty will just be an anticlimax in both origins and future because that's the show's favourite move.

It's interesting that Rick thinks as Morty as his weakness, it's logical and tones down a bit the vileness he had for the past season. Hopefully the writers will keep in mind as Rick started bacoming just straight uncomfortable. Also the opening for the episode was excellent.

Yeah the show has gotten dark, and not in a good way. Like you said, uncomfortable. Rick and Beth are just nasty people who never seem to get their comeuppance.

Silentpony:

inu-kun:

Silentpony:

Yeah the show has gotten dark, and not in a good way. Like you said, uncomfortable. Rick and Beth are just nasty people who never seem to get their comeuppance.

An interesting thing I noticed is that toxic Morty is very similiar to Jerry with his weakness and neuroticism, not very surprising when considering his criticusm to his father.

PICKLE RICK!!!

I loved it! I hate Rick, and love seeing Morty's develop their own identity and culture. Ricks understand Ricks only. Mortys understand Mortys and Ricks, and have an untold advantage. And I love the idea of Mortys/Ricks going to school to deal with a newly assigned partner.

Also Evil Morty as President is amazing! I hope he kills show Rick, Beth and Summer, and takes Show Morty as a VP and ushers in a new age of Ricks and Morty's existing as equals, not devil gods vs punching bags.

The last few episodes have impressed me so far, and I'm looking forward to the next one. And a certain plot twist has really gotten my interest...

Now that was an interesting, awesome and very evil way to reintroduce Evil Morty.

It was also an interesting, crazy and sometimes depressing way to show the life and times of all the other Ricks and Mortys on the Citadel of Ricks.

I liked the last couple of episodes - Rick and Jerry, and the Citadel episode. On the whole every episode is a fun 20 minute stream of consciousness improv routine supported by an "anything you say" style of animation, where no idea is too crazy to animate. But in terms of plot and character I find myself caring less and less. Anything goes and everything is played for laughs sooner or later. Why would anybody care?

Okay, I realise I'm overthinking this, but why the fuck does a citadel with a population that is about 50% super-geniuses who can make basically anything not have automated labour? Why would they need people working in factories? Rick can make a self-aware robot to just to pass butter.

Zhukov:
Okay, I realise I'm overthinking this, but why the fuck does a citadel with a population that is about 50% super-geniuses who can make basically anything not have automated labour? Why would they need people working in factories? Rick can make a self-aware robot to just to pass butter.

Because Ricks probably get off on asserting their superiority over lesser Ricks.

Zhukov:

Maybe the idea is that Rick is not as great as Rick things Rick is? This whole season has kind of been "Rick sucks".

Zhukov:

Well the successful ones like to lord it over to lesser versions.

Like the Rick that was on the train looking over and saw the Rick in the car, Slow Ric... I mean Tall Morty and the news members Rick A and B telling off C.

And don't forget about Cop Morty, that Rick that went homicidal in his work place and poor Simple Rick.

Or maybe they are all just a bunch of jerks that get off tormenting each other. (Can I say that here?)

Zhukov:

Rick can make self aware robots but it's a lot of work and he's lazy (remember, he went back and saved morty and summer in the mad max world cause finding new versions of them or making robot replacements would take too much work.)

It also looks like even though all Rick s have the same IQ, some are better than others (even discounting the obvious outliers like tall morty or doofus rick) and it looks like the citadel goes around recruiting Ricks that haven't even invented portal tech or aren't into science as much as others are to be the workforce.

Like, even though our Rick is "the rickiest rick", he wasn't the Rick that came up with Jerry daycare. Or the candy bars. Or even if it was a fake backstory he apparently wasn't the first Rick to invent the portal gun

I'm honestly not sure what they're doing with the show anymore. Is Summer in charge now?
I kinda' like how Morty and Summer are cynically empowered now, always knowing what to do but...I dunno. Knowing how Rick really is, and they still put up with him?! Morty I can kinda' get, since Rick and Morty go together like peanut butter and cancer, but Summer?

She knows she's what, Rick C-137's 3rd or 4th Summer? And she just cynically goes along with it, knowing what to do and when?

Makes me wonder if Ricks are only in charge because Summers and Mortys can't be bothered to stop them.

So Rick is a major dick and the rest of the family is nearly as bad.

Poor Morty, it's a miracle that he is still sane.

Loved the red memories that Rick removed that show that he is only human... almost human I mean.

Plus wasn't that alien a little bit surprised over Beth's response.

This show is getting really crazy and I like it.

So basically Beth is just as evil as Rick, if not more, tortured and killed animals and children when she was a kid, all the while blaming her behavior on Rick.

And the writers somehow think Beth and Rick hugging and being cool with each-other is somehow...touching? Its like watching the family in Texas Chainsaw Massacre being loving to one another. Kinda' misses the point...

Also poor Jerry. Also fuck Summer and Morty.

Silentpony:
So basically Beth is just as evil as Rick, if not more, tortured and killed animals and children when she was a kid, all the while blaming her behavior on Rick.

And the writers somehow think Beth and Rick hugging and being cool with each-other is somehow...touching? Its like watching the family in Texas Chainsaw Massacre being loving to one another. Kinda' misses the point...

In my opinion that was the point of the scene. Showing that while Beth pretends to be a normal house wife/horse vet, she's just as messed up as Rick. Just in different ways.

I personally like how Morty is becoming more cynical and more knowledgeable. He's not just the wide-eyed ignorant little boy any more. He's seen and done some (okay, a lot of) shit, man. Same with how he treats Beth. How even he goes "oh come on, mom! That's bullshit and you know it!" Shows some real character progression there. Hopefully they do the same for Rick in some way.

Wow, I guess the whole family is crazy.

And I thought Beth was the normal one but wow.

Now the question is: is that the real Beth or a clone?

But I don't think she would be that crazy to do it.

I feel like the Beth plotline should have come in the first or second seasons, the shift in her behaviour between this and Pickle Rick makes little sense even with the events of the episodes between and it just feels far too late to make her interesting.

The jerry plotline was cliche and not very funny, if the writers feel the need to literally spell to the audience what is the problem of a character it's not a good writing, especially as Jerry gets character assassinated even more than usual. It's obvious his problems are him being a "beta cuck", do they really need to throw the sexist and racist cards even though it doesn't really relate to his problems with Beth?

thank god beth finally got some character development

her story has been bubbling at the surface for seasons

Someone should probably tell the writers that the word "smart" doesn't mean what they think it means. They still manage to make a very enjoyable show despite that really unusual gap in knowledge.

Groxnax:
Wow, I guess the whole family is crazy.

And I thought Beth was the normal one but wow.

Now the question is: is that the real Beth or a clone?

But I don't think she would be that crazy to do it.

It doesn't matter. That's Beth great revelation from Rick in that episode. Nothing matters. She could choose to stay and be lonely with her family, or she could choose to leave and be lonely in the multiverse, all the while the family doesn't miss a beat.
Nothing they do matters.

Personally absolutely I think she left and its a clone. But it doesn't matter

undeadsuitor:
thank god beth finally got some character development

her story has been bubbling at the surface for seasons

I honestly don't think she needs character development. By the end of Season 1 it was clear she's just Chick Rick. And that was the end of her story. She's a superfluous character, and this newest episode really kinda' cemented that. That even without Rick as a shitty father she would still have been a terrible person. She killed animals and children, just like Ricks kills animals and children.
That whole BS about wanting Rick around is just like Rick saying nothing matters. They're both using their intellect to hide behind so they never have to justify their actions or take responsibility.
It was good though to see Beth come to the realization she's just Chick Rick, which is why personally I think she left. Because Rick's whole arc has been he knows he's in a cartoon show and needs to stay interesting to prevent being cancelled. So when Beth realizes 'nothing matters' meaning its a cartoon and the writers will change anything they want, she ups and leaves, content that with a clone the show continues and she's off the responsibility hook.

https://www.google.co.il/amp/ew.com/tv/2017/09/21/rick-morty-dan-harmon-female-writers/amp/

So here's a good reason why the writing for this season sucks.

inu-kun:
https://www.google.co.il/amp/ew.com/tv/2017/09/21/rick-morty-dan-harmon-female-writers/amp/

Ok, mind explaining what you mean, because the only thing I'm getting from that article is that the show has a few new writers who got harassed, apparently for the grievous crime of having a vagina.

Chimpzy:

inu-kun:

Ok, mind explaining what you mean, because the only thing I'm getting from that article is that the show has a few new writers who got harassed, apparently for the grievous crime of having a vagina.

Hiring people based on their private parts rather than skills, it doesn't help that the episodes they gave as an example of the new writers were bad ones.

inu-kun:

Chimpzy:

inu-kun:

Hiring people based on their private parts rather than skills, it doesn't help that the episodes they gave as an example of the new writers were bad ones.

That same article you linked also has Harmon state the writing is a collective effort and implies that he (and presumably Roiland) is in charge of refining and making sure each episode is up to standards.

If true, an argument can be made that they are just as much, if not more, to blame for the quality of those episodes, because it happened under their watch.

inu-kun:

Chimpzy:

inu-kun:

Prove to me they hired the new writers JUST because they were women

undeadsuitor:

inu-kun:

Chimpzy:

Yeah I'm not picking up on that either...

Silentpony:

undeadsuitor:

inu-kun:

not to mention the two episodes credited to them (pickle rick and rickmancing the stone) being titled as "the worst episodes ever" is ignoring the last "worst episodes ever" from season 2, which everyone claimed was a clear sign that Rick and Morty was going down the drain and that season 1 was the only good season

every new episode is the worst episode ever, i guess they just have a couple strawwomen to burn for it now

undeadsuitor:

Silentpony:

undeadsuitor:

not to mention the two episodes credited to them (pickle rick and rickmancing the stone) being titled as "the worst episodes ever" is ignoring the last "worst episodes ever" from season 2, which everyone claimed was a clear sign that Rick and Morty was going down the drain and that season 1 was the only good season

every new episode is the worst episode ever, i guess they just have a couple strawwomen to burn for it now

I'll admit there have been bad episodes in season 3, with the therapy section from PickleRick being especially hard to watch, but Seasons 1 & 2 both had bad episodes.
And no one should care who writes the episodes, 'cause you just want a bad episode. If some lady wrote a bad episode, they get just as much flak as if Harmon himself wrote a bad episode - bad is bad, and good is good. Leave it at that. Gender need not play into it.

I think people need to stop hoping for redemption for everyone. I dont think its going to happen, nor do I think they want it to happen. Some people never redeem themselves.

I hope it ends like Morel Orel did, where most of the town, especially the father never redeem themselves and Orel only ends up happy because he stopped trying to conform to his father's messed up views. I hope Morty and (this) Summer come out ok. Rick, Beth, and Jerry will likely die miserable.

Chimpzy:

inu-kun:

Chimpzy:

That same article you linked also has Harmon state the writing is a collective effort and implies that he (and presumably Roiland) is in charge of refining and making sure each episode is up to standards.

If true, an argument can be made that they are just as much, if not more, to blame for the quality of those episodes, because it happened under their watch.

And they are also to blame. The overall writing feels far worse than previous episodes which means the whole team is lacking. And having a weaker teammates brings the whole level down, otherwise the two would write episodes by themselves.

Silentpony:

undeadsuitor:

inu-kun:

Considering the article specifically mentions this being a new team and not the older "boys club" as well as being gender balanced I find it hard to believe the balance is coincidental.

And if new team mates are hired and the writing becomes shit it's pretty logical to blame the new people as being the problem.

inu-kun:

Chimpzy:

inu-kun:

You're really good at completely misinterpreting things to get them to conform to your preconceived opinions. It's, like, a gift.

inu-kun:

Chimpzy:

inu-kun:

And they are also to blame. The overall writing feels far worse than previous episodes which means the whole team is lacking. And having a weaker teammates brings the whole level down, otherwise the two would write episodes by themselves.

Silentpony:

undeadsuitor:

Considering the article specifically mentions this being a new team and not the older "boys club" as well as being gender balanced I find it hard to believe the balance is coincidental.

And if new team mates are hired and the writing becomes shit it's pretty logical to blame the new people as being the problem.

You still didn't prove anything.

Also, what's "becomes shitty"

Did they also write get schwifty, interdimensional cable 2, look whos purging now, and every other episode deemed awful up to this point?

Are we only counting bad episodes as bad when women apparently write them?

undeadsuitor:

Also, what's "becomes shitty"

Did they also write get schwifty, interdimensional cable 2, look whos purging now, and every other episode deemed awful up to this point?

Are we only counting bad episodes as bad when women apparently write them?

Wait, Get Schwifty is awful? That's one of my favorite episodes...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here