No offense but I get annoyed when someone changes thier Username and Avatar photo.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Because when people do that in any website forum, I forget who exactly were they after the change.

Like I remember Fappy having this Avatar of a winking Black Cat, but he changed his Avatar to something else entirely that if it wasn't for the fact he kept his/her username, I would have forgotten who he is supposed to be.

Again I mean no offense and I am not stopping anyone from changing thier username and avatar. I am just saying I may forget who you were.

I'm awful at remembering names both online and irl, to the point that I have to tell people I've just met not to be offended if it takes me three or four subsequent meetings to get it right. This is magnified on a forum like this, with so many users who are mostly passing acquaintances at best. Because of this I'm pretty much reliant on avatars to recognize users, so it screws me over for a bit when people change them (unless they have a running theme like Caramel Frappe). I know I'm not the only one either; lots of forum regulars didn't even recognize me after the one and only time I changed my avatar from Fowlmouth to my current one of Pearl.

You could always politely ask them the source of their previous avatar image and write a userscript to replace their new image with the old one you've identified them as

In Fappy's instance the userscript would look something like this (tampermonkey needed)

With different code you can also replace new usernames with their old one

If you wanna have fun you could also just replace someone's avatar/username with anything you want
Useful when they have an image you dislike seeing

I was gonna write something like this the other day, but forgot. you see, I would like to pick a different profile picture, but the thing is, I feel like it's almost like getting plastic surgery - You look like a completely different person by that point. So yeah, I think I might just forget about doing it.

Im glad there is something we completely agree on.

I also hate when users dont have an avatar at all, especially after making 1000+ posts.

Borty The Bort:
I was gonna write something like this the other day, but forgot. you see, I would like to pick a different profile picture, but the thing is, I feel like it's almost like getting plastic surgery - You look like a completely different person by that point. So yeah, I think I might just forget about doing it.

But your avatar fits. You're Borty the Bort, and that avatar looks like a Bort named Borty.

I think there's worse things to get annoyed about.

Gauche:
You could always politely ask them the source of their previous avatar image and write a userscript to replace their new image with the old one you've identified them as

In Fappy's instance the userscript would look something like this (tampermonkey needed)

If you wanna have fun you could also just replace someone's avatar/username with anything you want

I actually still have all my old avatars on an old Photobucket account if someone wants one of them.

I haven't changed my current one in a long time more out of laziness than anything else. When I get off my lazy ass I plan to change it to this:

Also, it's been years since someone called me out for this sin. Feels nostalgic, lol.

Fappy:

Gauche:

I actually still have all my old avatars on an old Photobucket account if someone wants one of them.

I haven't changed my current one in a long time more out of laziness than anything else. When I get off my lazy ass I plan to change it to this:

Also, it's been years since someone called me out for this sin. Feels nostalgic, lol.

Funny thing is I haven't been on the forums when that happened, but I visit this site for years now so I have been following the forums and watching all of you people talk. And I know you weren't a Blue Moderator, and I still want to know what happened to the likes of the user Vault101 and "DVSRDSTB?" I user by that name but got banned because of something to do with Fake Boobs?

Baffle2:
I think there's worse things to get annoyed about.

I see what you did there 🤣
Too bad that I have no idea who you are now, though 🤣

As for the topic at hand; I personally also always go by users' avatars rather than their names, so when someone changes their avatar I'm left in confusion as to who they are. So I'm more confused rather than annoyed. I wouldn't want to visit a forum where people are constantly changing not only their avatars but also their names, I'd feel as if surrounded by strangers.

Right?! Like how am I supposed to keep track of someone? Their name?! Hogwash!

I've changed mine a good few times, but it's all on a common theme: characters looking angrily towards the content of the thread.

IIRC, I've used The Monarch (Venture Bros), Stannis Baratheon, Professor Snape, Sister Jude (American Horror Story), and now Don Camillo.

Feel like I've missed one.

Silvanus:
I've changed mine a good few times, but it's all on a common theme: characters looking angrily towards the content of the thread.

IIRC, I've used The Monarch (Venture Bros), Stannis Baratheon, Professor Snape, Sister Jude (American Horror Story), and now Don Camillo.

The Smoking Man from the X-Files...it was the one you had before this one.

Silentpony:

So you finally got over your Zootopia phase? To be frank I always imagined you better as the Zootopia Fox than a Brony.

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

So you finally got over your Zootopia phase? To be frank I always imagined you better as the Zootopia Fox than a Brony.

No, just wanted to change 'cause of this thread. It reminded me my avatar has been stagnant. Thanks friend!

Saelune:

That was it! Cigarette Smoking Man! Thanks.

Probably the least sympathetic of the fictional characters I've used.

Silvanus:

Saelune:

That was it! Cigarette Smoking Man! Thanks.

Probably the least sympathetic of the fictional characters I've used.

It seemed to show you more as fed up than when you had your stern sort of condescending looking nun.

Change is the law of life

I've been here for almost ten years and my avatar (with a small alteration about five years ago) has not changed.

It doesn't bug me when others do it but I like keeping it all the same (or themed like Taco or Caramel Frappe does) so that people recognize me. If people don't recognize me, they can't feed my ego :'(

Wasn't aware one could change their name here. I been wanting to but either way, never really bothers me. I usually can pick up on who is who based on topics they talk bout and how they phrase things

Well, then i won't change my avatar just for you, since you like it so much :^)

Fappy:

All Might approves.

EDIT: oh yeah, better respond to the thread.

I like changing it, mostly as I've now got a thing for stupid faces wrestlers sometimes pull.
I do remember the mini-backlash I got after I changed from having a raft of Dr. Cox avatars though. Was fun.

I tend to think I keep a consistent theme, even if not a consistent avatar.

MrCalavera:
Well, then i won't change my avatar just for you, since you like it so much :^)

I know you had an Avatar before Scaramooche, what was it?

I do hate how long it takes for a new avatar to pop up

Silvanus:

Snape is the one I associate the most with you.

That may or may not partially be because he's also the only character of the list that I actually recognize.

Sassafrass:

I do remember the mini-backlash I got after I changed from having a raft of Dr. Cox avatars though. Was fun.

I don't know why anybody would get mad about Scrubs avatars. It's only the greatest show ever created.

tippy2k2:
(or themed like Taco or Caramel Frappe does) so that people recognize me. If people don't recognize me, they can't feed my ego :'(

I themed mine after discovering hit J-Pop sensation Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, and for a while back in 2013 I was rotating through gifs from her music videos every month or so, until I finally just settled on this current avatar that I've had, since early 2014 or so?

It kinda feels sacrilege to change away from it at this point.

I wouldn't mind changing my username, but at this point I'm not really sure there's even much of a point.

I don't know why people would do something like that.

RaikuFA:
I don't know why people would do something like that.

That's the kind of committment this site needs more of! Unfortunately i am currently trapped within my own peak, so any change would be a downgrade, as much as a facelift would be great to avoid the instant connotations with being an irritating dumb cunt for once.

I don't see what the big deal is when it comes to avatars. It's just a picture. I see it in the same line as people having signatures below their posts, and changing those. I tend to stick to similar avatars and barely ever change them, but when I'm just not feeling one any more I'll change it nonetheless. Don't care that others might find that annoying. :P

Name changing however, that is definitely annoying. It's like trying to start a new life without telling anyone you know about it.

sanquin:
I don't see what the big deal is when it comes to avatars. It's just a picture. I see it in the same line as people having signatures below their posts, and changing those. I tend to stick to similar avatars and barely ever change them, but when I'm just not feeling one any more I'll change it nonetheless. Don't care that others might find that annoying. :P

Name changing however, that is definitely annoying. It's like trying to start a new life without telling anyone you know about it.

The most obvious and noticeable identifier next to a person's post is their avatar. When scrolling it is easier to see and differentiate than little white text on a dark blue header.

Its probably also marketing 101 since people probably recognize logos over the actual names of many products.

Saelune:
The most obvious and noticeable identifier next to a person's post is their avatar. When scrolling it is easier to see and differentiate than little white text on a dark blue header.

Its probably also marketing 101 since people probably recognize logos over the actual names of many products.

I put that under "people are lazy and don't want to remember names any more." :P

Memory in general is actually becoming more of a problem these days. Why remember anything when almost everyone has a phone with internet, and thus google these days, right? I say, deal with it. Doesn't take that much effort to take note of the names you want to remember. And after a short while you'll remember them by name no problem.

Well, you're gonna hate me then (And you probably already do). I'm looking to change mine, though it is gonna have a few things that still use bits of my current avatar, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out it's me. I won't be changing my username though

I...change avatars whenever I fancy to.

Sometimes, that's multiple times in a day. Others? Weeks to months.

One constant has been the little icons under said avatar. So. There's that.

I hate it when people change their avatars, or names, or don't have avatars. That's why I still have Rainbow Dash, even though it's been 5 years since I've watched the show. It's easiest to recognize people by avatars. I mean, I do remember most of you by name now, but still.

It looks like DVS BSTrD was banned for a conversation that happened in a group. I thought it would be the mod group, but the posts aren't actually there for that day. A shame because I'd like to see the full conversation there. Vault101 last posted something on July 17, so she hasn't been gone that long.

Edit: also, you can usually check a users old avatars with the Wayback Machine on their profile. Example.

I have and addon called Resurrect Pages that adds a right click option to open a page from Wayback Machine, Google cache, and other archiving sites. It's really convenient.

chocolate pickles:
We have names. Read them. Do you even know how to read, you ignorant fuck?

Watch it. That's unnecessary.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or