Discuss and rate the last movie you watched

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Every forum I've been to had a thread like this. I wanna see if one can stay alive here. If not, no biggie. I'll just continue using those other forums for my movie impressions.

Floating Weeds (1959, Japan) - 9/10

Ozu does it again! His movies are always beautiful, but realistic. His cinematographer was a master too.

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness (2013, Japan) - 7/10

A two hour documentary showing Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki through the production of The Wind Rises. A valuable part of my Ghibli collection. When he told the interviewer what's possible with animation at the end by pointing to rooftops outside the window and they showed scenes of his movies, beginning with Lupin jumping from roof to roof, I almost teared up. I'm gonna miss this man when he's done making movies and almost all that's left is cheap digital animation and CG. Interesting things to note... Takahata is a slacker. He almost didn't finish Kaguya. Miyazaki thought Porco Rosso was a foolish movie, because it was made for adults instead of children.

Dunkirk (2017) - 7/10

As a big budget, non-American focused war movie, Dunkirk is a welcome rarity right off the bat. The action when present feels threatening, everything from the costumes to the war gear is carefully recreated, and characters feel like people rather than glorified heroes out of propaganda films (Except for maybe the civilians). The movie also does a good job of covering all of the battles angles, from the civilian relief fleet to the on site leadership to the warplanes to the foot soldiers.

Unfortunately, the 'Everyone and the kitchen cook' approach leaves the movie spread a bit thin. The movie follows what could be called 'main stories,' along with several ancillary ones, which never quite leaves you with enough time to connect with any of them. To make matters worse, all the 'stories' eventually interact, but the way they're presented leaves you feeling disjointed - Each thread in the overall tapestry has to speed up or slow down to match pace with the other, sometimes making it hard to follow whats actually happening. In one particular case, the result of an action from another story line are viewed before it actually occurs during that story line. It gets a bit confusing.

Tl;Dr - Excellent acting, writing, directing, sound and art, let down by a cluttered narrative and confusing time lapse problem. A good movie overall, but held back from true greatness.

Incident at Raven's Gate (1988, Australia) - 8/10

Just watched it this Friday, having heard somewhere on the internet that it was something of an oddity; it certainly didn't disappoint on that score.

What most impressed me about it was how, in spite of itself, it actually works - how what could (hell, probably should) have simply turned out as a farcical mess of a low-budget B-horror flick about alien visitations in rural Australia instead turned into a visually striking, remarkably unique and thoroughly weird experience.

I still can't make up my mind as to whether it's good, but I enjoyed the hell out of it regardless.

It (2017)

It is good. Did justice to the adapted material. Pennywise was suitably scary. The child actors did well (that can really be a land mine, but they were good.")

Here's my "controversial" take. It isn't as good as the miniseries. Tim Curry is iconic as Pennywise, that series CREATED the whole "creepy clown" trend (it wouldn't be "a thing" without 1990's It.) And its split timeline WILL handle the story better than splitting the story into a movie and a sequel. The miniseries dealt with the story from multiple points of view from the perspective of a character as a child and as an adult. Without a ton of flashbacks (which would really drag it down) a sequel with the kids as adults just won't address this aspect, and will be lessened by that. Also, recasting the parts will kill the sequel. They're sure to make at least one casting mistake (just law of averages) and that will make it worse than the miniseries.

I'm by no means saying it was bad, or that some kind of freakishly amazing "adult losers club" sequel couldn't make the pair better than the miniseries. But, I really don't see that happening. Basically, 2017's It... is really good. It has some really good moments, and some good scares. But if you want to really scare someone... cue up the 1990 version.

"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"

Fuck, was anything Mad-Eye did real?! He's the only good, trustworthy character in the entire seires, and it turns out NOPE he was one-shoted off screen by the Doctor, and as far as I can tell, never actually appears on screen, until he dies off screen.
Also fuck Ron for being a stubborn asshole, fuck Harry for being a dumb asshole, fuck Hermione for being a useless asshole, fuck Snape for being an asshole asshole, fuck Cedric for being a plot-device asshole, and fuck canon for being a restrictive asshole.

Why, or WHY, are the Potter books considered 'good' literature?! Apart from Moody, not one character has been worth mentioning, let alone championing.

Pickup on South Street (1953) - 8/10

I'm impressed Fox decided to make this. The characters are atypical for this kind of New York spy story. They're not respectable or especially attractive people, but they're likable, with some fun dialogue. I didn't realize who the main character was until pretty far into the movie, because he didn't seem at first like a person you should care about. It also stars that old, talkative New York actress from Rear Window. She was great, again. I didn't buy how easily the romance happened and there were a few other minor issues, but overall pretty entertaining.

Spectral on Netflix - 6/10.

It feels low budget but they did quite a lot with that budget. Not counting that, its pretty okay. The action scene with the tanks was cool but non-sensical. I literally cant remember much more than that.

Autopsy of Jane Doe - 7/10

I like scary movies but don't tend to find them scary. This is another one. Why would you random aiming an axe through an elevator door. That's never going to hit what you want. Why was she angry - they were trying to help? How has no one picked up on this pattern before now? Surely she's been in a mortuary before - these medical examiners didn't seem especially smart

Babadook - 8/10

I'm always partially susceptible (scare wise) to groaning like this movie. Liked the ending and how they took care of the monster. Plus, I'm Australian - so go us?

Lights Out - 7.5/10

Cool concept. Not many deaths though and I found the dynamic with the family, under extreme stress was actually relatable. The first part was too drawn out and trouping out on family tension - it was a bit much. Out of all these movies, the characters seemed pretty smart and prepared. They were generally trapped by not knowing the entities power (which I suppose is not showing that smart, but anyway.) They actual words they were saying... pretty trash.

Here Alone 8.5/10

Whoops. Forgot this one, as the main character is pretty smart. The teenager felt like TWD Carl - making stupid decisions and blaming it on being a teenager. The relationships could have been developed more and people getting hang up on things and that stopping them from trying to move forward was a bit much. Felt like a Clint Eastwood directed movie - slow, paced, personal and thorough (the director still needs more practice.) Couldn't care less for the flashbacks.

Life (2017)

If I'm being kind, I'll simply say that it's a good concept for a film. Unfortunately that's where I have to stop even that faint praise. The film is just badly thought out ... like, Prometheus levels of badly thought out. The 'scientists' who uncover microbial life in a rock sample from Mars decide that, despite the massive importance of such a unique sample, they should begin experimenting on it in attempts to reanimate a potentially harmful bacteria because, well, 'reasons'. Things inevitably go wrong, but don't worry! Our scientists find out almost immediately that two things that cannot harm this creature are fire and vacuum, so it'd be utterly retarded if they then spent the rest of the fucking film trying to burn it with fire or jettisoning it into a vacuum, right? Right ?! *sigh* Add to this the 'twist' ending that can be seen coming a country mile off by anyone who has ever seen a sci-fi horror film ever and you have a thoroughly forgettable film. Which is a shame, because as I said earlier it's a great *concept* for a film.

TL;DR - 2/10 - Swing and a miss.

Ali's Wedding

4/5, probably my #5 movie of this year (roundabouts). Great comedy. The characters are a bit less 'real' than those in 'The Big Sick', but honestly, I enjoyed it more (certainly laughed more at least). It's a great roast of all the good and bad of the Muslim faith, and Australian culture in general. Also helps that it has its share of tender moments as well. Great fun.

Arrival. I'd give it a 2/4, but for consistency, 5/10.

Arrival is an interesting concept for a movie but a slightly unininteresting thing in practise. Yes, it is nice to have a sci-fi alien movie in which the story is about trying to figure out how to talk to the damn things. Yes it is nice that the movie (for the most part) forgoes action in place of brains. No, it is not nice to see how the movie resorts to throwing together an implausible dilemma to create suspense and a ticking clock. No, it is not actually that smart of a movie, notwithstanding the discussions on translation and the ending twist. This is a movie where all the nation's armies are made entirely up of paranoid lunatics, desperately looking for an excuse to smash the aliens without a goddamn reason. To make the Vonnegutian twist work, the movie severely underestimates the audience's intelligence in excessively explaining it out for us. The chemistry between the two leads is none existent, which is a problem when that chemistry is a plot essential detail. It came from a better place than a lot of movies, but never quite worked for me.

The Martian (2015) 5/5

I remember being in the position to either rent this or Interstellar two years ago and went with Interstellar, which started great but had me frothing at the mouth once it actually concluded. In comparison and hindsight I should have gone for the Martian right away. In a movie landscape increasingly riddled with movies that drive home how dark and cynical everything is, the Martian is a movie about the wonders of space, mankind's ingenuity and how disaster can bring out the best in us. It is a disaster movie that doesn't wallow in disaster, but shows us people overcoming the odds. With a star-packed cast that all bring their acting chops, top notch production values and Ridley Scott back on top of his game, the Martian is a must see for anyone who's even remotely interested in either genre.

Am not very good at number rating films, they tend to feel like too much of a moving target to pin on a single measurement. Two films recently;

Under the Skin
Scarlett Johansson plays some curious alien that goes around Scotland with a kind of telepathic connection to a motorbike sidekick, sexually hunting males and 'disappearing' them in metaphorical scenes...all in what could better be described as more of a hypnotic experience than a standard narrative. It provides more questions than answers, but in that special way that sticks with you long after it's over. Very unique film-making and not for the average type of movie-goer looking for a story to explain itself plainly to them. Recommended for those that want something different and appreciate beautiful audio-visual composition.

Dogtooth
Greek film about a sadistic controlling father who raises two daughters and a son who are not aware of anything outside their home and cannot leave, not until their canine teeth fall out. Yup. Their mother is submissive to his plans as he controls and twists their language so words and ideas that relate to outside world are given meaning that lean directly back into family and trust. There is a changing point when he kidnaps a female from his unexplained workplace in an attempt to give his son a sex-slave to satiate his raging hormones. It gets quite disturbing at times, with a few dark humour moments scattered within, but very muted in general tone, which I personally think is there to exaggerate the dehumanising feel of their messed up lives. It isn't a film to 'enjoy' really, so yet again will not appeal to many. But if that idea doesn't put you off already, it's worth checking out. Probably not during a joyful party of friends looking for a good time.

Conan the Barbarian with Arnold Schwartzenegger.

It was the first time I have seen it, and before watching it I thought it was gonna be a complete goofball 1980s cheesiness. And with Arnold being the star and his reputation certainly did not helped, especially since I am aware of those famous quotes like "Hear the Lamentation of the Women" and especially "You kill my mother, you killed my father, you killed my people"

Then I watched the movie, and the line of "You Killed my mother, you killed my FATHER, YOU KILLED MY PEOPLE!!!" becomes a whole lot more shocking when I actually saw the context of why he said that:

Fuck the Red Wedding, this is actually more devestating. This movie is badass. Scenes like this and the music, holy shit the music, made me feel:

And now I understand alot of things I have seen in other stuff are actually references to this movie. Basically this movie for me is an example of never judge a book by its cover. I had the same thought with Scarface before I saw the movie as I thought it was gonna be 80s Saints Row goofball cheesiness. Because of that whole "Say Hello to My Little Friend" scene and thinking the movie different because seeing Tony with Rifle with a Grenade Launcher attachment looked Video Gamey to me.

Silentpony:

Fuck, was anything Mad-Eye did real?! He's the only good, trustworthy character in the entire seires, and it turns out NOPE he was one-shoted off screen by the Doctor, and as far as I can tell, never actually appears on screen, until he dies off screen.
Also fuck Ron for being a stubborn asshole, fuck Harry for being a dumb asshole, fuck Hermione for being a useless asshole, fuck Snape for being an asshole asshole, fuck Cedric for being a plot-device asshole, and fuck canon for being a restrictive asshole.

Why, or WHY, are the Potter books considered 'good' literature?! Apart from Moody, not one character has been worth mentioning, let alone championing.

Its partly why I prefer the first 2 movies the best (And they are the most faithful adaptions). And the movies has cut ALOT of things from the books so alot of context and backstory got chopped. And Mad Eye Moody (The Real One) appears in the later movies if only briefly.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
9/10

What can I say, it's just good. It was more of a straight on comedy this time around, I really got a kick out of Dave Bautista's Drax, and the whole Kurt Russell thing felt like it was ripped from a Futurama episode

Also the music choices are spot on, it has the perfect mix of straight up good songs, but also some more obscure 80s songs that aren't as good but they all fit the theme of the movie and they are actually referenced and integral to the plot

There were a few plot holes and contrivances

But most of the movie just works. Something about the actors performances or the way the movie is shot makes it all feel genuine and real even when some balls-to-the-wall rediculous stuff happens

Samtemdo8:
This movie is badass. Scenes like this and the music, holy shit the music, made me feel.

Conan the Barbarian is a masterpiece. Poledouris soundtrack is just the excellent framing of a great script and Schwarzeneggers physical and kinetic acting is exactly what the role of Conan needs. The entire movie consistently earns its' set pieces, it builds up the relationship of its' protagonist trio and makes the later story of sacrifice actually mean something.

It also has one of the best character defining scenes of any movie ever, in which Schwarzenegger totally dominates the scene and Poledouris music drives it home like a runaway freight train.

Gethsemani:

Samtemdo8:
This movie is badass. Scenes like this and the music, holy shit the music, made me feel.

Conan the Barbarian is a masterpiece. Poledouris soundtrack is just the excellent framing of a great script and Schwarzeneggers physical and kinetic acting is exactly what the role of Conan needs. The entire movie consistently earns its' set pieces, it builds up the relationship of its' protagonist trio and makes the later story of sacrifice actually mean something.

It also has one of the best character defining scenes of any movie ever, in which Schwarzenegger totally dominates the scene and Poledouris music drives it home like a runaway freight train.

No its these 2 that got me pregnant with Awesome:

And this (sadly no proper video of it, but still you understand)

That would be Spider-Man Homecoming for me. I am a huge fan of Spider-Man but I must admit I came into this a lil nervous bout another origin story. Gladly they decided to bypass that already since everyone knew it and focused on giving a good story bout Peter Parker starting out and trying to be a big time hero like some of his ideals. I say it was paced well and had stellar performances. Especially the main bad guy, I won't give spoilers away, but he had a real good presence whenever he was on screen and i could watch him over and over. Overall, I find issue finding much wrong besides perhaps people may not like the marvel universe segments or the fact that its not an origin story. Overall for fans, I say its a must watch, for none fans, a 4/5

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Its partly why I prefer the first 2 movies the best (And they are the most faithful adaptions). And the movies has cut ALOT of things from the books so alot of context and backstory got chopped. And Mad Eye Moody (The Real One) appears in the later movies if only briefly.

I'll coop to never having read the book, so I'm sure there's more Hogwarts in there, but the movies were at their absolute best when Harry and the gang were just students at school. Macking on the ladies, having the bants in potions class, playing broom rugby, taking exams and learning how to grow magical plants.

Good stuff. Who needs another hero story were the best characters die and then everything just ends?!

Heathers(1988)
Had recently heard the songs from the Musical version so decided to watch the Source. Excellent little black comedy, with such memorable lines as "Fuck me gently with a chainsaw". Interesting to see that young Christian Slater is basically Still Christian Slater. Seems like it was the inspiration for Mean Girls, albeit Mean Girls has distinctly less murder...Also a movie that probably wouldn't come out as any sort of comedy today.

all in all 8/10

The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Let me get this out of the way: If you're looking for an award winning film, look elsewhere. This isn't going to take home an Oscar, but it's unlikely to take home a Razzie either. It's a dumb fun kind of movie, in much the same way that Kingsman and Pacific Rim are. You aren't going to be watching it for the plot, you're going to be watching it to see Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson play off each other and to see the action ramp up towards the point of ridiculousness. It's a pretty paint by numbers film, but if you're looking for something you can turn your brain off to watch, you could do worse.

Does seeing the first two episodes of Inhumans in IMAX count? Cause uh...it sucked. I usually unabashedly love MCU stuff, but maybe dont make your villain seem like the good guy? Especially when that villain is just Ramsay Snow.

3/10 Id probably watch it if it was on Netflix, but Id probably be more critical than not, especially as it tries to justify an oppressive monarchy as the 'good guys'.

Since it shouldnt count though...

Iron Man 2. Watched it on TV cause I did not see it in theaters and hated that it was this gap in my MCU film watching...

Now, maybe its cause Iron Man 3 is so upsetting with its pissing on The Mandarin, but it was not as bad as I thought it was. I watched it with my brother who had seen it before and he pointed out that "Its weird seeing Tony so early on having become used to him now" and that he points out also that Tony has had more character development than people say, since in 2 he was still the "Look at me, Im a rich party boy who is also a hero, wooo!" and not "I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and I cant trust anyone but me to carry it".

I dont like the fusion of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo, cause like...why cant we just have the villains from the comic books? A bit of updating is fine, certainly a Soviet Crimson Dynamo might be out of date now, but you dont need to smush characters together like this.

The only other real problem I had was typical 'romance conflict' since much of the film is about the tension between Tony and Pepper, and exasperated cause instead of responding like a person, Pepper just walks out the room and doesnt let Tony explain things that would actually resolve alot of conflict later. I utterly despise the "Not listening and leaving the room to prolong conflict".

7/10. Better than Iron Man 3 but having seen what comes since this film, it doesnt hit as hard as say, the Airport scene or Spider-Man Homecoming. Still enjoyable enough and it does push Tony's character forward.

Journey to the West 2

I don't know the actual story, but the movie does pretty well. Feels like one of those "we put three episodes of a tv series back-to-back", but whatever.

Does have a bit of the "the heros were actually pretending to be fooled" without foreshadowing, but as I understand it a lot of old literature has that issue.

The last out-take was hilarious. I'd recommend it over all, as long as you like Stephan Chow movies.

I saw Don't Torture a Duckling, a Lucio Fulci film from 1972.

I actually haven't seen any of his zombie/gore horror that he's best known for from the 80's, I thought I'd see what he was up to before he entered that period of his career, and it turns out his giallo mysteries are pretty good stuff!

This one is the story of a serial child murderer in a small Italian village. It's a bit overpopulated and at times slow moving, but I appreciated the effort to try and contextualize the broader paranoia and outrage that local tragedy can cause. Mostly I'm impressed with Fulci's direction. In sequences that just move the plot he's very economical. Sure the zoom lenses age the film a bit, but he has a simple lyricism that explodes into near-abstraction when he needs it to. The two most famous sequences of the film, which pair gruesome death with a gorgeous Riz Ortolani score, are fantastic pieces of visual/aural irony---edited and shot with impeccable feeling.

It isn't a great film, but it's got some chops. I'm looking forward to seeing the stuff he's better known for.

Gethsemani:

Samtemdo8:

The first Conan film is amazing.

The Basil Poledouris soundtrack transforms a tiny script into a sweeping Wagnerian opera. I mean Wheel of Pain is so great. How else do you build Conan?
A great Nietzsche quote opens the film, it's 15-20 minutes before you even see Arnold and his first line in the movie must be nearly 30 minutes in and it's a Genghis Khan quote.

The music really moves the film and shirtless Conan meant that Arnold did virtually all of his own stunts because there weren't stunt men Arnold's size back then, nor were there computers to make seamless composite shots. Tons of practical effects, strong set and costume design... probably the best movie swords for 20 years until the LoTR trilogy.
The father's sword actually has an engraving, "Suffer no guilt ye who wield this in the name of Crom".

I do advise finding the American theatrical release. The original DVD release added some shots to the ending that screwed up the musical sync but wordlessly removes a few plot holes... so give and take on which ending you see.

I'd say it's kind of a Dark Age Baby Driver.

On Topic: It (2017)
Amazing. It is VERY Stephen King. It manages to translate the feel of a Stephen King novel (with frequent, small tableau's of each character's fucked up life) more than any other Stephen King adaptation to date.

Hell or High Water (2016)

Not going to rate it in your Earth numerals, because movies are not really in my zone. I don't watch that many, although I also happened to watch the extended cut of that Hobbit trilogy recently, for the first time. But those movies I'm mostly just mad about, they were an inflated mess.

"Hell or High Water" I by contrast enjoyed. Very much about mood, character and sense of place. The plot just mostly flowed from the premise, without too many crazy twists. Oh, and the soundtrack was cool, both the songs and the score. Too bad the latter seemed a little underutilized, considering.

Valerian.

It isn't as bad as people make it out to be (or at least I understood the plot). I do agreed that it was more auethestic over substance and also the two main leads were boring in term of actings.

A Monster Calls.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I have a soft spot for personal story pieces like this. I liked the characters, they felt very real to me in how they were dealing with their greif. The reactions they had, from the child upset at his mother slowly dying, to his grandmother, upset at her daughter dying, to the estranged father and how he was dealing with it.

I was actually genuinely impressed with Felicity Jones' acting in that film, as I found her incredibly bland in Rogue One. But in this, she felt like a genuine human, and she actually made me tear up at one particular scene. And the boy playing the protagonist was actually pretty darn good for a child actor. He seemed genuinely distraught as he was going through the film, and given what's happening that was a fitting transition.

Overall, I found it an enjoyable film. It wasn't as personally moving as The Fountain, or Arrival was for me, though they have similar feels to them. I can't really point to any faults specifically about it, other than at times it was just a regular movie. It was competent. So while I can't really point to anything to give a reason why it isn't a 10/10, I just can't say it's a perfect movie. It was fine for what it was trying to do. I guess if I had to point to something specific, the ending was a bit abrupt, and left a huge question unanswered. But then I think of the movie Birdman, who had a similar abrupt ending, and it was fine. But still, it was a bit jarring.

Rating: 8/10

Kyrian007:
It (2017)
Here's my "controversial" take. It isn't as good as the miniseries. Tim Curry is iconic as Pennywise, that series CREATED the whole "creepy clown" trend

I couldn't agree more with that statement, however the problem for the 90's IT, it's second half is terrible. Will IT Part 2 be better? Maybe. They really hit it out of the ballpark though.

maninahat:
Arrival. I'd give it a 2/4, but for consistency, 5/10.

Arrival is an interesting concept for a movie but a slightly unininteresting thing in practise. Yes, it is nice to have a sci-fi alien movie in which the story is about trying to figure out how to talk to the damn things. Yes it is nice that the movie (for the most part) forgoes action in place of brains. No, it is not nice to see how the movie resorts to throwing together an implausible dilemma to create suspense and a ticking clock. No, it is not actually that smart of a movie, notwithstanding the discussions on translation and the ending twist. This is a movie where all the nation's armies are made entirely up of paranoid lunatics, desperately looking for an excuse to smash the aliens without a goddamn reason. To make the Vonnegutian twist work, the movie severely underestimates the audience's intelligence in excessively explaining it out for us. The chemistry between the two leads is none existent, which is a problem when that chemistry is a plot essential detail. It came from a better place than a lot of movies, but never quite worked for me.

Use whichever rating scale you want, or none at all. I'm not even gonna score all the movies I talk about here.

I agree with you. I'd give Arrival a 6, max. I don't get the appeal of it at all. It bored me.

maninahat:
Arrival.

This is a movie where all the nation's armies are made entirely up of paranoid lunatics, desperately looking for an excuse to smash the aliens without a goddamn reason.

Most of the movie shows every nation having their own little team meant to talk to the aliens, which is set up by that nation's government. The only paranoid lunatics we see are two or three soldiers in the American army, and someone from the Russian government executing their language guy.

The chemistry between the two leads is none existent, which is a problem when that chemistry is a plot essential detail.

How was that plot essential? It's highly suggested that her main reason for hooking up with the guy is because of her daughter.

Casual Shinji:
How was that plot essential? It's highly suggested that her main reason for hooking up with the guy is because of her daughter.

Because the main story was about her life and her daughter, and how it threaded through every other aspect of her life. Or at least that was my take away. The alien thing was just a plot device to move the emotional story forward. I mean, that is what the movie started with, and ended with. Her relationship with her child.

It's similar to The Fountain in that regard. The scifi/fantasy stuff is just a plot device, to tell the story of a person and their personal relationship.

As to their chemistry. *shrugs* Eh, I thought they were fine. She was playing a woman who is relatively emotionally disconnected, and they do exist. And they do get in relationships. So I thought it was fine. The guy was definitely doing all the heavy lifting when it comes to any emotions. But it felt fine to me.

Happyninja42:

Casual Shinji:

Because the main story was about her life and her daughter, and how it threaded through every other aspect of her life. Or at least that was my take away. The alien thing was just a plot device to move the emotional story forward. I mean, that is what the movie started with, and ended with. Her relationship with her child.

Exactly, it was about the relationship with her child, and the knowledge how that's going to end. Jeremy Renner's character was a glorified extra in many ways, and the main plot certainly didn't hinge on their chemistry. The reason we get the future visions of her child and not, say, Renner or her parents, is because that's where her emotional journey lies. Not with Renner.

Baby Driver 7/10

What I would term an action musical. It's marketed as an action comedy, but for an Edgar Wright film it's surprisingly light on the comedic elements, and it gets very dark in places. The best thing about this film is the editing. The way the music and even the lyrics sync up with not only the sound effects, but the visuals themselves is nothing short of marvelous. The performances are excellent all around, with a surprisingly intimidating turn by Jamie Foxx. It's easy to see this as a mere slight variation of his part in Horrible Bosses, but it makes all the difference in making his character genuinely unnerving. The car chases are of course nothing short of fantastic.

What lets this, and several of Edgar Wright's movies, down is that it's rather fluffy and insubstantial. There's rather little to it beyond the spectacle itself. It doesn't have the police satire of Hot Fuzz, or the theme of age separating friends from World's End. There's not a lot of character depth, the story's nothing special and the romance is as Hollywood as it gets. It's bright, colourful, exciting, and goes in one ear and out the other. It's still worth seeing, but I don't think I'll ever watch it again. Normally that means a 6/10 for me, but this is Edgar Wright after all: the film is so much fun while you're watching it it gets raised a notch. This is a treat for people like myself who like to analyze the technical aspects and execution of filmmaking.

Verdict: Ultimately insubstantial, but worth seeing for the editing alone. You get great performances, action scenes and stunts in the bargain as a bonus.

John Wick: Chapter 2/10

Complete garbage. I give that one extra point for the brief entertaining moment it had with the other assassins. Otherwise it simply sucks. I'm amazed they still make shit like this. Terrible acting and boring action. Hardcore Henry imitated video games to the fullest which made it a familiar and fun experience to watch. This crap, however, is much more like a tool-assisted speedrun with aimhacks and AI exploits. Anyone who likes this is automatically on my shitlist for life.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here