Star Trek: Discovery has premiered

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

DefunctTheory:

Saelune:

Next they will complain they ruined Star Trek by setting it in space.

Google.com:

trek

noun
noun: trek; plural noun: treks
a long arduous journey, especially one made on foot.

Star Trek is a misnomer - You can't journey through space on foot. The whole show is built on a faulty premise! Burn it with fire!

It's not "Space Trek", it's "Star Trek". Do they not have a bunch of famous actors walking up and down corridors or across Vasquez Rocks for ages?

Let's just hope it doesn't all start to feel a little too real...

http://mashable.com/2017/09/24/klingons-star-trek-discovery-trump-supporters/#1onG2YlRraq8

Fucking hell.

anthony87:

http://mashable.com/2017/09/24/klingons-star-trek-discovery-trump-supporters/#1onG2YlRraq8

Fucking hell.

That article is stupid, and it has nothing to do with the political aspect.

While we learned a lot about the Klingons on The Next Generation, it all felt a bit sanitized. Before their alliance with the Federation, they murdered innocents to bring glory to their authoritarian empire ? but we didn't really learn why.

We so totally did - This is covered in at least three of the series, TNG, DS9, and Enterprise.

We learn the great Klingon houses have been divided, squabbling among themselves.

This is also covered in TNG and DS9.

EDIT: Unrelated, I'm pretty sure I just ruined any chance I ever had of watching Orville. The name got stuck in my head as weird for some reason, and I just realized why.

I don't think I want to watch a sci-fi show based on popcorn.

KissingSunlight:

Did the SJWs SJW this show then?

I am going to say "Yes". When your biggest selling point for the new Star Trek series is that the cast is going to be diverse. You are admitting that you have no new idea for the series.

I wonder if you would have said that when TNG was first aired.

But lets ignore the blind black guy or a Klingon in charge of security, which in-universe would be like having a Muslim in the US army in charge of stopping bomb threats.

I don't remember DS-9's advertising at all, because that show came out 24 years ago. When I was 8.

fi6eka:

The difference is both Worf's and Jordy's skin colour wasn't a sole marketing point for an entire show.
I don't remember DS9 execs virtue-signaling about having a negar in the lead role.
So yes, let's ignore the blind black guy and the Klingon chief of security - they are irrelevant to the subject at matter.

A what now?

fi6eka:

Saelune:

But lets ignore the blind black guy or a Klingon in charge of security, which in-universe would be like having a Muslim in the US army in charge of stopping bomb threats.

The difference is both Worf's and Jordy's skin colour wasn't a sole marketing point for an entire show.
I don't remember DS9 execs virtue-signaling about having a negar in the lead role.

So yes, let's ignore the blind black guy and the Klingon chief of security - they are irrelevant to the subject at matter.

No, but Star Trek has hammered home the idea of diversity since the start, so a new show capitalizing on that makes sense.

Also really? You can misspell it but must you be so offensively racist?

Halfway into the second episode,

Token mention to "The Horror, The Horror" war is bad sentiment before letting loose with the action set-pieces and "you are special" contrivances to the protagonist who cant wait to start killing those Klingon bastards.

Does anyone question how someone so emotionally compromised could become second-in-command of a vessel which is on the border with the very people she harbors contempt for?

Ninjamedic:
Halfway into the second episode,

Token mention to "The Horror, The Horror" war is bad sentiment before letting loose with the action set-pieces and "you are special" contrivances to the protagonist who cant wait to start killing those Klingon bastards.

Does anyone question how someone so emotionally compromised could become second-in-command of a vessel who is on the border with the very people she harbors contempt for?

Oddly enough, the only "right" one on the crew was Lt. Cmdr. Saru, who wanted to leave as fast as possible, since that would have avoided (or postponed at the very least) the confrontation altogether.

I'd guess the Vulcan influence is what got her posted to the ship, and it seems that she's very good at hiding her emotions, hang-ups and major neuroses when not confronted by Klingons directly (and at that point the federation had no face-to-face with Klingons for it to have come up).

anthony87:

Fucking hell.

Eh, it's not like Trump supporters have a monopoly on that sort of thing. We've seen that in fiction over and over again because we've seen that in reality over and over again.

Right, the UK has the 1st episode available to it on Netflix. I shall watch it tonight and see what we shall see.

I may actually do my 1st review on the escapist. :D

Cartographer:

I'd guess the Vulcan influence is what got her posted to the ship, and it seems that she's very good at hiding her emotions, hang-ups and major neuroses when not confronted by Klingons directly (and at that point the federation had no face-to-face with Klingons for it to have come up).

Except that she's shown bantering with Yeoh's character up to this point in a perfectly human manner. I have a hard time believing there would be no consideration for her emotional state in regards to her commission, especially since it's a binary switch from Snarky Contrarian to Warhawk. O'Brien was able to better maintain his composure working with the people who he fought against and whose warcrimes he witnessed first hand.

Just for a lark, I've popped on Emissary for a comparison.

trunkage:
I haven't watched the new Star Trek. But I'd don't it would be anything like TNG. TNG didn't have consequences to most situations. It was pretty much a reset a week show. An anthology, like the Outer Limits. Character generally didn't grow. There was more character development in First Contact than all of TNG. (Before you get cranky, there were some Data was probably a standout - hence his arc being replicated in further series)

That's not the world we live in now. If you want people who, over most of the season, do things that are generally meaningless to overall plot and have no character development, you have things like NCIS (I have no idea if that show still exists.) Another TNG probably couldn't compete in today environment

Another thing that Star Trek fans forget (or more likely willfully ignore) is that The Next Generation is really the odd one out of the franchise. Most of what fans attribute to the franchise, the peaceful exploration, the diplomacy, the sophisticated
superior attitude, etc. comes solely from TNG, the rest of the franchise isn't even remotely like that, and even the most popular and well known moments of the franchise have nothing to do with that anyway. In other words, what people THINK Star Trek should be like is massively divorced from what it's actually like, TNG is the exception not the rule.

Ezekiel:

I'm not gonna get attached to the show, though. I know it's gonna get cancelled (unless they make it available on a real network).

Exactly, the whole show exists simply for CBS to try to push their oh-so-great CBS All Access service. It could be the best Star Trek, hell, the best sci-fi show that could possibly exist and it would still fail because of this. It's like they WANT it to fail and have everybody on the planet who actually wants to watch it pirate it because that's exactly what CBS is encouraging. If it actually manages to last more than a season I'll be surprised, and even if I'd otherwise like it I'm just going to wait until I can get it on DVD for next to nothing if I see it at all.

Ninjamedic:

Cartographer:

Except that she's shown bantering with Yeoh's character up to this point in a perfectly human manner. I have a hard time believing there would be no consideration for her emotional state in regards to her commission, especially since it's a binary switch from Snarky Contrarian to Warhawk. O'Brien was able to better maintain his composure working with the people who he fought against and whose warcrimes he witnessed first hand.

Just for a lark, I've popped on Emissary for a comparison.

Oh I'm not suggesting it's well done or anything, just that the "idea" was probably that she was perfectly able to mask her emotional hang-ups thanks to the Vulcan training, right up to the point where she came face-to-face (at last) with the root cause and that made her snap.

Saelune:
"Did the SJW's SJW this show then?"!?

Star Trek was an SJW show from episode 1 of TOS back in 1966.

To be fair TOS starred two straight white men, one an aggressive lady's man, the other a pointy eared skinny guy eager to explain how emotions and feelings are wrong. And they pimped around the Galaxy on a white starship, telling other cultures they need to be more white and straight, or simply forcing themselves on slave girls. And that's when they weren't just killing native species or aliens for not being white and straight enough.
And let's not forget the poor Doomsday device! Killed for being born that way! By a white man!

immortalfrieza:
the rest of the franchise isn't even remotely like that,

Um, did you watch any of the series?

and even the most popular and well known moments of the franchise have nothing to do with that anyway. In other words, what people THINK Star Trek should be like is massively divorced from what it's actually like, TNG is the exception not the rule.

Voyager was effectively TNG's 8 season onwards (The episodes started at 801), and while DS9 may have had the Dominion War arcs, it remained committed to the Rodenberry Ideals throughout, choosing to test them rather than just take them for granted. Even then, they still explored new areas in the Gamma Quadrant and most of the action in and around the Dominion war on screen was diplomatic and political, and Earth was still regarded as "Paradise".

Hell, *TNG itself* had the ongoing trials of humanity by Q, Wolf 359 and it's aftermath, the Cardassian situation and the Bajorans, seasons 3-6 are closer to DS9 as a whole I'd reckon.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

To be fair TOS starred two straight white men, one an aggressive lady's man, the other a pointy eared skinny guy eager to explain how emotions and feelings are wrong. And they pimped around the Galaxy on a white starship, telling other cultures they need to be more white and straight, or simply forcing themselves on slave girls. And that's when they weren't just killing native species or aliens for not being white and straight enough.
And let's not forget the poor Doomsday device! Killed for being born that way! By a white man!

Well that was disappointing, but I'm not sure what I expected in the first place. Aesthetically it was odd as hell. Tons of Dutch angles, simultaneously way too dark yet plagued with lens flares, Michael Bay-esque camera swooshes around characters and generic sci-fi set design that's hardly recognisable as Star Trek. And narratively it was extremely aggressive and combative, which I'm willing to forgive for a kick-off but it'd better not persist.

And don't get me started on the travesty that's these Klingons. These aren't Klingons goddammit. At least the Klingon change from TOS to TNG was minor.

But the acting was alright. It has at least that over the first season of Enterprise. What I'm hoping for now is that we're going to get a good team dynamic, but we'll see how that works out over the season.

Cowabungaa:
Well that was disappointing, but I'm not sure what I expected in the first place. Aesthetically it was odd as hell. Tons of Dutch angles, simultaneously way too dark yet plagued with lens flares, Michael Bay-esque camera swooshes around characters and generic sci-fi set design that's hardly recognisable as Star Trek. And narratively it was extremely aggressive and combative, which I'm willing to forgive for a kick-off but it'd better not persist.

And don't get me started on the travesty that's these Klingons. These aren't Klingons goddammit. At least the Klingon change from TOS to TNG was minor.

But the acting was alright. It has at least that over the first season of Enterprise. What I'm hoping for now is that we're going to get a good team dynamic, but we'll see how that works out over the season.

Oh god, I just looked them up...

Those are not Klingons.

I see people are still pushing the myth that Star Trek was always been SJW despite the fact that if they hadn't grown up with the shows they'd absolutely despise them due to their pushing the type of liberalism that progressivism is openly opposed to and the antithesis of. Which is probably why so many critics and twitter normies are so unfamiliar with Star Trek outside of being aware of it that many actually though this was the first case of a black lead and the first case of a female captain, despite the third show having a black lead, and there being black and/or female captains as far back as the 2nd movie.

Figures the same people who claim to love the "SJWness" of real Trek hate The Orville, which has that same Trek style "SJWness" they claim they love about the old series. Really makes you think.

Zontar:
I see people are still pushing the myth that Star Trek was always been SJW despite the fact that if they hadn't grown up with the shows they'd absolutely despise them due to their pushing the type of liberalism that progressivism is openly opposed to and the antithesis of. Which is probably why so many critics and twitter normies are so unfamiliar with Star Trek outside of being aware of it that many actually though this was the first case of a black lead and the first case of a female captain, despite the third show having a black lead, and there being black and/or female captains as far back as the 2nd movie.

Figures the same people who claim to love the "SJWness" of real Trek hate The Orville, which has that same Trek style "SJWness" they claim they love about the old series. Really makes you think.

Except Star Trek has always been SJW. I don't like The Orville because of that. I don't like the Orville because I think its a really poorly written, unfunny and pathetic excuse of a spoof on Star Trek.

Natemans:

Except Star Trek has always been SJW.

No, it has always been liberal, SJWs are just trying to appropriate it despite the fact it's pretty blatantly antithetical to their views. If they'd written it no one would have gone 10 minutes without bringing up how black Uhura was or how Asian Sulu was. Instead the show did the opposite, showing how far we'd come by not mentioning it at all, showing us that it was so natural, so behind us as a species, that no one brought it up because no one even thought about it. The only time it ever got mention was when a species that was behind us was trying to make an analogy using us or when there was a human from the past involved. SJWs would have hated it if it aired now because of how liberal, anti-SJW it is, and hey look at that, it's exactly the reaction they're having to the closest thing we have to an actual Trek series right now.

Like it or not Orville is the closest this we have to a Trek series right now, that "SJWness" of the old series included.

Zontar:
words arranged to form sentences

Have you actually, watched Discovery yet?

Ninjamedic:

Zontar:
words arranged to form sentences

Have you actually, watched Discovery yet?

Yes, I'm still dizzy from the abhorrent cinematography.

Why, you also about to pretend the previous series where something they where not?

Zontar:

Why, you also about to pretend the previous series where something they where not?

I'm just wondering where you're deriving this bizarre interpretation of the cast makeup outside of the internet spats you continually involve yourself in.

Zontar:

Get Annie Hall'd Zontar.

Ninjamedic:

Zontar:

I'm just wondering where you're deriving this bizarre interpretation of the cast makeup outside of the internet spats you continually involve yourself in.

If it was just the show in a vacuum then it'd be just a bad in-name-only Trek series, what makes me hate it for its attempt to pander to the almost nonexistent SJW market is what the cast, production staff, and journos who openly celebrate the fact they can't even name two of the five previous Trek series telling me to go fly a kite because I liked the old series and wanted something that was actually good instead of trash that takes all the worst elements of modern day Hollywood and shove it into a high budget series that looks like it cost half as much as it claims.

For fuck sake, these people actually think this is the first Trek with a black lead or a female captain. Couldn't even do a 30 second google search.

So how is the science fiction? Are there moral dilemma's, contradictory time travel, transporter accidents with bizarre ramifications for personal identity questions, ponderings on the nature of heroism and cowardice? Because that'ss kind of what I expect from star trek. It doesn't even have to be great at that.

Saelune:

Fun fact. Episode 0 was even better. The pilot episode for the original star trek had a female lead and some other differences in the cast. The test audience hated it, especially the female lead, and the executives had them change it. At the time King apparently contacted one of the black charactars' actor to ask them to keep playing such a (for the time) relatively visible role.

I thought we all understood star trek was rather hippy stuff.

Pseudonym:
So how is the science fiction? Are there moral dilemma's, contradictory time travel, transporter accidents with bizarre ramifications for personal identity questions, ponderings on the nature of heroism and cowardice? Because that'ss kind of what I expect from star trek.

Saelune:

Fun fact. Episode 0 was even better. The pilot episode for the original star trek had a female lead and some other differences in the cast. The test audience hated it, especially the female lead, and the executives had them change it. At the time King apparently contacted one of the black charactars' actor to ask them to keep playing such a (for the time) relatively visible role.

I thought we all understood star trek was rather hippy stuff.

Number 1 was the best part of the pilot. Wish she had made it to Kirk's crew.

Saelune:

Get Annie Hall'd Zontar.

>I'm going to destroy your point
>By showing the man who created it explicitly stated that same point

No wonder SJWs hate Trek so much, it's own socialist leaning creator hated the core concept of their fringe ideology.

Pseudonym:
So how is the science fiction?

Non-existent, it's shootbang with pretenses to nuance.

So I'm re-watching Emissary, and it's fucking night and day.

Zontar:

Saelune:

Get Annie Hall'd Zontar.

No wonder SJWs hate Trek so much, it's own socialist leaning creator hated the core concept of their fringe ideology.

...Define SJW cause clearly we are operating under different definitions.

Saelune:

Zontar:

Saelune:

Get Annie Hall'd Zontar.

...Define SJW cause clearly we are operating under different definitions.

The one that everyone's been using for the past 4 years or so, the anti-liberal pro-authoritarian left leaning types. You know, the type of people who think taking away rights because it offends them is sensible instead of Soviet, that disenfranchising the white working class is anything but aggressive class warfare, the cultural imperialists who go into every corner of culture and demand that everything change to suit them no matter how little actual interest they have in it, and so on.

You've got to have been in a pretty isolated place for the past few years to not know what everyone means when they say it. Even people in their 50s and 60s who aren't that internet savvy know what it means, it's that mainstream of a concept, it's that widespread.

USS Discovery (NCC-1031).

NCC-1031

So I've never actually watched an entire Star Trek episode or movie all the way through (I made it halfway through the first movie with Chris Pine before I got bored) so is this a good hopping on point for me?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here