Star Trek: Discovery has premiered

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Zontar:

dozens of series all tangibly connected that after over a decade of work culminated in an all out Borg invasion of the Alpha Quadrant where every superweapon that got even just a one off appearance was dropped on the table until the table couldn't take the weight no more and then Picard considers blowing up the whole galaxy if it means stopping the Borg and allowing a few million refugees to escape to Andromeda and then Q reveals the nature of the universe by bringing Picard before the gods above all other gods in the setting who are basically the manifestation of us the reader/viewer since the universe literally exists for their entertainment and Q's antics have al been a means of keeping the universe alive by keeping them entertained because he's the only higher being in existence who hasn't just given up and all that's just basically covering like 3% of what happened.

...okay then. 0_0

Apart from Spock's dad, which could be written around, has there been a reason yet that this couldn't have been set say 50, 100 years after Voyager? All you'd need to do is replace the first 10 minutes of meaningless desert wandering and pointless script with a briefing about recent Klingon history and how nobody gets along again.

KaraFang:

Discovery: No idea where this sits on the timelines side. Some bollocks muttered by CBS (probably to see if ST fans will swallow it) about multiple dimensions involving Sarek,

This explains it for you...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=JuCbW1AOblo

dscross:

KaraFang:

Discovery: No idea where this sits on the timelines side. Some bollocks muttered by CBS (probably to see if ST fans will swallow it) about multiple dimensions involving Sarek,

This explains it for you...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=JuCbW1AOblo

Oh, I know where it "should" be, but CBS themselves have been VERY cagey if this is prime, JJ, or ANOTHER reboot universe. They seem to be staying VERY quiet. I think because they've realised they've put their foot in it...

So is the show trying to create a theme of Starfleet being staffed by impulsive morons and sociopaths?

Ninjamedic:
So is the show trying to create a theme of Starfleet being staffed by impulsive morons and sociopaths?

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the Discovery NCC-1031 isn't a typical Starfleet ship. The Shenzhou was.

Just finished watching them. I've got a suspicion that the reason they are acting so 'non Trek' is that the show will turn out to be...

Thought I'd put it in spoilers just in case you didn't want to hear theories and speculation.

dscross:

Thought I?d put it in spoilers just in case you didn?t want to hear theories and speculation.

Everyone's theorizing that, it's hardly a spoiler.

That said, while I'm not a Trekkie, I have to ask, "why?" Isn't it simply possible that because of being at war, Starfleet has to resort to ilicit dealings, and not every commander in Starfleet is going to be an ideal person? Burnham is already very flawed, and Lorca is far more militaristic than, say, Kirk or Pircard. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and all that.

Hawki:

dscross:

Thought I?d put it in spoilers just in case you didn?t want to hear theories and speculation.

That said, while I'm not a Trekkie, I have to ask, "why?" Isn't it simply possible that because of being at war, Starfleet has to resort to ilicit dealings, and not every commander in Starfleet is going to be an ideal person? Burnham is already very flawed, and Lorca is far more militaristic than, say, Kirk or Pircard. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and all that.

I'm not a massive Trekkie either, but I know that they aren't acting like they do on any other show.

A brand-new science ship conscripted into the sixth-month war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, Discovery's primary role isn't exploration or even diplomacy but rather the perfection of a revolutionary (and, at this point, volatile) new spore-based propulsion system that could drastically alter the course of the conflict. Its mission - "to win the war, of course," Lorca says - is top secret, shared by its sister ship the U.S.S. Glenn, whose crew suffers a gruesome fate as a result of the experiments. (Discovery ultimately destroys the Glenn, presumably to keep its secrets out of Klingon hands.)

Lorca not only orchestrated the prison transfer of the most famous person in Starfleet - this is a decade before James T. Kirk takes command of Enterprise - he then re-routes the shuttle into a storm, putting all of those aboard at risk, simply to bring her aboard his ship. Then, after Burnham proves herself a valuable asset, not only with research but also as part of a dangerous away mission, Lorca offers her a place in his crew. When Burnham points out that she's been court martialed and convicted (to a life sentence, no less!), the captain casually dismisses her concerns: "Don't worry about Starfleet. They gave me discretion to fight this war however I saw fit."

Then there's discovery's registry number.

It's only speculation obviously, but it's enough for me at this point.

dscross:

Hawki:

dscross:

I?m not a massive Trekkie either, but I know that they aren?t acting like they do on any other show.

A brand-new science ship conscripted into the sixth-month war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, Discovery?s primary role isn?t exploration or even diplomacy but rather the perfection of a revolutionary (and, at this point, volatile) new spore-based propulsion system that could drastically alter the course of the conflict. Its mission ? ?to win the war, of course,? Lorca says ? is top secret, shared by its sister ship the U.S.S. Glenn, whose crew suffers a gruesome fate as a result of the experiments. (Discovery ultimately destroys the Glenn, presumably to keep its secrets out of Klingon hands.)

Lorca not only orchestrated the prison transfer of the most famous person in Starfleet ? this is a decade before James T. Kirk takes command of Enterprise ? he then re-routes the shuttle into a storm, putting all of those aboard at risk, simply to bring her aboard his ship. Then, after Burnham proves herself a valuable asset, not only with research but also as part of a dangerous away mission, Lorca offers her a place in his crew. When Burnham points out that she?s been court martialed and convicted (to a life sentence, no less!), the captain casually dismisses her concerns: ?Don?t worry about Starfleet. They gave me discretion to fight this war however I saw fit.?

Then there?s discovery?s registry number.

It?s only speculation obviously, but it?s enough for me at this point.

You have to also remember the context of this universe;

humanity are the lunchpin of the Federation and brought many of the initial members into it. This is during archers time, about 60 years after First Contact. Now, Earth had only just recovered from a World War. They had experienced what happens when insane people are allowed freehand during war. Humanity had assisted to end other race wars (Andorians and Vulcans, the sphere builders, etc) so it's still fresh in the collective mind of the Federation as a whole about what happens when unstable people are given power/no oversight.

Mass Death, immoral choices etc - Look at Khan, hell look at his creators!

Lorca and Burnham both exhibit ALL the traits that the Federation and Starfleet are intending to PREVENT having that power/position.

Secondly, although the Federation is at war with the Klingons, they don't explain why we cannot hold our own. Our ships are supposed to be more advanced. The "balance" in Star Trek has always been The Klingons have better weapons and can hit harder, but the Federation have far better shields and employ more inventive "exotic" weapons in addition to Phasers and Photons. We should be at stalemate at this point.

Because of this lack of explanation as to why the Federation is at a disadvantage (this is MY opinion when I am watching the show.) and therefore the sheer lack of any explanation as to if they "are" desperate in this war, I cannot understand how Lorca's unstable nature hasn't been noticed already by anyone in Starfleet and removed to prevent a situation becoming explosive. Crew and captains are supposed to undergo intense mental examination to prevent "wild" people like Lorca and Burnham being allowed to get into the situations this damn series is putting them in!

Hums... apologies, that was a bit random... but I... I'm trying to write my reviews of the 1st four episodes and am trying to make them more cohesive (and non preachy) as I can.

I suppose from someone who grew up with Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway, and the Federation they embodied and spearheaded, I just don't SEE that in this series. A series that claims it IS Star Trek.

Ninjamedic:

What would be really funny is if they pull an Enterprise at the end of last episode, and just zoom out to Picard or Riker completing a lecture to a bunch of cadets about how terrible Starfleet was in the past.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Ninjamedic:

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the Discovery NCC-1031 isn't a typical Starfleet ship.

Yeah, it's crewed by people who get themselves killed by doing stupid things and also have the infinite improbability drive. If I was in the Federation government I'd probably want more stable personnel on a ship that houses what is supposedly Starfleet's most advanced military technology.

Then again, they couldn't even be arsed scuttling their lost ships or having a defensive garrison for, what was it again, 40% of the resource necessary for warp travel?

09philj:

What would be really funny is if they pull an Enterprise at the end of last episode, and just zoom out to Picard or Riker completing a lecture to a bunch of cadets about how terrible Starfleet was in the past.

"And that's why Kirk's Enterprise was the only ship in response range half of the time."

KaraFang:

Secondly, although the Federation is at war with the Klingons, they don't explain why we cannot hold our own. Our ships are supposed to be more advanced. The "balance" in Star Trek has always been The Klingons have better weapons and can hit harder, but the Federation have far better shields and employ more inventive "exotic" weapons in addition to Phasers and Photons. We should be at stalemate at this point.

Because of this lack of explanation as to why the Federation is at a disadvantage (this is MY opinion when I am watching the show.) and therefore the sheer lack of any explanation as to if they "are" desperate in this war, I cannot understand how Lorca's unstable nature hasn't been noticed already by anyone in Starfleet and removed to prevent a situation becoming explosive. Crew and captains are supposed to undergo intense mental examination to prevent "wild" people like Lorca and Burnham being allowed to get into the situations this damn series is putting them in!

Hums... apologies, that was a bit random... but I... I'm trying to write my reviews of the 1st four episodes and am trying to make them more cohesive (and non preachy) as I can.

This is the core of why Discovery doesn't (at least currently) work, the show is doing pulling an action focus and it's drama is ripped out of modern "dark" series and YA stuff like the Hunger Games (and HG itself is Battle Royale but missing the point), it's rushing straight to the dramatic moments without any time to build weight or even have a point.

Discovery looks to have either been retooled after Fuller left/was kicked off, or was conceived with the "Dramatic/Badass" moments first and everything to link them as opposed to the exploration of a central premise, set of ideas against a backdrop or even telling a coherent story. So it crowbars in plot points without the time put in to flesh them out or explain before moving onto the next part of the plot, so far I'm left questioning every decision the characters have made so far, but not from an ethical or moral standpoint, but one of common sense.

Ninjamedic:

(and HG itself is Battle Royale but missing the point),

Um, what point? How the Hunger Games was concieved is well documented at this point, and Battle Royale had nothing to do with it. I don't think HG has an overall point per se, but its primary function is allusion to the Roman Empire (the Capitol, Penam, etc.), and an underlying theme that rule through terror isn't sustainable in the long-run. Battle Royale, as I understand, is more focused on the generation gap within Japanese culture. Gladitorial combat as a sport, and the entire concept of "bread and circuses," pre-dates both works by over 1000 years.

KaraFang:

humanity are the lunchpin of the Federation and brought many of the initial members into it. This is during archers time, about 60 years after First Contact. Now, Earth had only just recovered from a World War. They had experienced what happens when insane people are allowed freehand during war. Humanity had assisted to end other race wars (Andorians and Vulcans, the sphere builders, etc) so it's still fresh in the collective mind of the Federation as a whole about what happens when unstable people are given power/no oversight.

Mass Death, immoral choices etc - Look at Khan, hell look at his creators!

Lorca and Burnham both exhibit ALL the traits that the Federation and Starfleet are intending to PREVENT having that power/position.

Okay, fine, but there's a 100 year gap between Enterprise and Discovery, which makes WWIII an event that took place over 200 years ago. I get that the humans of Star Trek are meant to be 'better' than the humans of today, but can they really be considered war-scarred by events so long ago? Nothing stopped them from fighting against the likes of the xinti and romulans a century before the war with the klingons.

KaraFang:

Only seen the first three episodes, so maybe this is expanded upon, but I didn't get the sense that the Federation was losing. I'll have to take your word on klingon vs. Federation tech - from what I've seen of TOS and the six original films, I got the sense that klingon ships are generally more powerful (and have cloaking), but Starfleet seems to benefit from better commanders (e.g. Kirk). That, and the klingons are a warrior race, while Starfleet's mandate rests a lot on science/exploration, in addition to functioning as a military.

So, I watched Ep. 4 and...what?!

It took the klingons six months to make repairs? Couldn't they just ask other klingons for help rather than having to salvage stuff?

That's right Tory...sorry, Landry, just open up the containment field to sedate a creature THAT IS IMMUNE TO PHASERS!

I'm not buying the spore drive. I mean, I can buy the concept (sort of), but we know that this technology can't pan out in future canon since it's not used.

Elon Musk is in the same standing as Zefram Cochrane? Um, okay...

On the plus side, Burnham is a bit more likable, and I'll be honest, I kind of wish that Lorca was the main character of the show. He's at least a different captain from the ones we've had before.

Hawki:

No they are saying Elon Musk will be on the same standing as Zefram Cochrane. But if they are as correct as the TNG's prediction about Fermat's last theorem then Elon Musk has already peaked.

Hawki:
It took the klingons six months to make repairs? Couldn't they just ask other klingons for help rather than having to salvage stuff?

Presumably these Klingons are extreme survival of the fittest types, and not big on lifting a finger to help. Even less so for a ship crewed by the dregs of society.

That's right Tory...sorry, Landry, just open up the containment field to sedate a creature THAT IS IMMUNE TO PHASERS!

Myeah, that was just so very, very dumb. Let's not take the advice of someone who, while a criminal with no standing, is still the only one with the necessary expertise on the ship, to sedate a creature that can tear through Klingons like butter, without even checking first if it even works before getting all close and personal.

Wasn't Starfleet supposed to be the Federation's best and brightest? Sure doesn't look it, judging from the Discovery crew.

I suppose Werner Von Braun is not as salonf?hig, all things considered.[/quote]

On the plus side, Burnham is a bit more likable, and I'll be honest, I kind of wish that Lorca was the main character of the show. He's at least a different captain from the ones we've had before.

True, but in my case it might be because I find most of the other Discovery crew members so unlikable. As for Lorca, his command style certainly different. More based around fear and intimidation than the inspirational leading by example of a Kirk or Picard.

Hawki:

Um, what point?

That the barbaric nature of the games would end up crippling the characters emotionally, as in The Long Walk.

Point I'm saying there is I can't see what they're trying to do with Burnham while giving so much focus to her, and it comes off as if they just wanted to make a "strong lead" or what have you without thinking it through fully.

Bear in mind it's only the lack of substance I have issue with here, I think the ideas so far are novel it's just the execution I take issue with.

wizzy555:
But if they are as correct as the TNG's prediction about Fermat's last theorem then Elon Musk has already peaked.

Given what the projects are that he's pushing for, this seems to be the case.

My god did that feel forced.

Also

https://twitter.com/LunarArchivist/status/917625250598342657

This is just why. Why would you have such a stupid idea survive to the final product?

So, I watched Ep. 4 and...what?!

They are a fringe group considered outcast from the main houses, they had no one they could ask for help. What I am shocked at is that no one mentioned anything about how the scene in which they are explaining how they have been trapped for six months stripping the junked vessels for parts suddenly went in to quite dark territory (at least for Trek) when the Klingons start talking about eating the captain of the Shenghzou. I mean yeah I could see the Klingons from previous Trek's resorting to that kind of thing but actually having them talk about it seemed weird and wrong.

Yeah unexplained stupidity.

I'm not buying the spore drive. I mean, I can buy the concept (sort of), but we know that this technology can't pan out in future canon since it's not used.

Why not, shockingly another sci fi show has already done the quantum entangled fungus story line.... prizes for guessing what show it was

As for the drive I am willing to give it a shot, we have had 6 series of trek, running for over 20 odd seasons and god knows how many hundreds of episodes, 10 movies (no the 3 new ones don't count) and how many genuine new forms of propulsion have we seen given any screen time outside of one or two off episodes? Transwarp on the Excelsior, which got dumped by the fifth movie as a failed experiment, The Quantum Slipstream drive which turned out not to be Federation tech but some other alien pretending to be Federation, the enhanced warp drive that the Equinox used and shockingly used a similar principle I can see Discovery angling for, i.e it uses a bio component that ends up either killing or seriously harming the biological being being used.

In essence Warp Drive has been the defacto form of tech for the entire genre so actually seeing and getting a bit of depth to a new experimental form that we know will fail and hopefully getting an insight in to why it failed and why warp stays the defacto drive, well it's something a bit new.

Yeah I laughed at that as well.

I just watched Episode 4: I'm not even going to spoiler, this series just gets dumber...

1/ The stupid tactical officer, who KNOWS the (beeping) monster is impervious to phasers and bladed weapons, thinks a tranquilliser chemical, which has not been tested on it and as Burnham points out they have no idea what will happen, will be enough to knock it out. Lowers the forcefield... and seems surprised it runs out.

I kinda wish she'd survived... but with no arms or legs, to remind her how completely, utterly, ridiculously stupid she was.

2/ The saucer section (where people live) spins during "black alert" jump drive... I.... I.... where the CREW LIVE!

(Picard double face palm).

Ministers and Angels of Grace defend us...

2/ The saucer section (where people live) spins during "black alert" jump drive... I.... I.... where the CREW LIVE!

Has the show actually shown that people live in that section? Or are you using the fact that previous shows had Starships that had people live in the saucer section. If you look at the section that spins you'll notice their are no windows on it all the previous ships had windows in the living quarters, the section on the saucer that does have windows, the mid section doesn't spin.

KaraFang:
I just watched Episode 4: I'm not even going to spoiler, this series just gets dumber...

1/ The stupid tactical officer, who KNOWS the (beeping) monster is impervious to phasers and bladed weapons, thinks a tranquilliser chemical, which has not been tested on it and as Burnham points out they have no idea what will happen, will be enough to knock it out. Lowers the forcefield... and seems surprised it runs out.

I kinda wish she'd survived... but with no arms or legs, to remind her how completely, utterly, ridiculously stupid she was.

(Picard double face palm).

Ministers and Angels of Grace defend us...

I came in here to bitch exactly about these two scenes. Stupid. Really considering dropping this now. It's apparently no longer a science vessel anyway, so I don't know why this is called Star TREK.

Ezekiel:
It's apparently no longer a science vessel anyway, so I don't know why this is called Star TREK.

People complain about DS9 all the time, but DS9 was a logical continuation of the direction TNG was going (that is, having character focused stories dealing with stories that arise from clashes of cultures and ways of thinking).

Funny thing is they're still trying to pretend this is part of the Prime universe. This is happening between The Cage and TOS, with the OG Enterprise flying around with Pike and Spoke doing a 5 year mission.

Blood Brain Barrier:

DudeistBelieve:

KaraFang:
Great, so we're dealing with section 38... or a early version of it

"black insignia"

(sighs)

This is NOT Star Trek. Can we please, PLEASE have an optimistic science fiction series? With a positive message? Unlike all the others we've had recently.

This was my EXACT feeling brother, and it was the exact reason I cancelled my subscription. I wanted, I CRAVE an optimistic Sci-Fi show. This clearly wasn't going to be it.

like normally I want dark and gritty, but not in Star Trek. The moment the captain was talking about pulling favors and shit... so like what? they let that shuttle captain die for nothing? Fuck this trek.

Do you think it's maybe possible to be optimistic without every character on the show being a goody two shoes?

It's early days yet. I'm going to give it a few more episodes.

He captured the ship after letting an innocent federation pilot die. Even if you don't blame it on him, the fact that a federation pilot would be put in such a situation without back up is inexcusable.

dscross:

DudeistBelieve:

dscross:

Is that conjecture from what you?ve worked out or is there confirmation of that?

I haven?t actually had time to watch it yet, but I heard it takes place after Enterprise but before TOS...? That makes it canon doesn't it?

I mean the Klingons don't look the least like they do in Enterprise so...?

It doesn't matter. I cancelled my all access subscription. Fuck this series.

Does it matter that much what the Klingons look like though? That?s not a clincher for me. The lore they built around why the Klingons looked different in the 90s ones compared to TOS was pretty ridiculous.

What is a sticking point, though, is the tone. I can see why people are annoyed about that. I think once the whole series is out there will be a clearer picture on where they are going with it.

I could of lived with the new look. I can't live a corrupt and seedy federation.

So first time we have ever had the F Bomb in the Trek franchise... I am actually kind of saddened by that.

Laughing Man:
So first time we have ever had the F Bomb in the Trek franchise... I am actually kind of saddened by that.

Well they did already drop the N bomb over 20 years ago so it was only a matter of time. Too bad the show is hot garbage.

I'm not a homophobe, but it's getting pretty lame how every other show now needs token gays.

Ezekiel:
I'm not a homophobe, but it's getting pretty lame how every other show now needs token gays.

Why is it that every time someone says "I'm not a homophobe, but..." they immediately follow by something homophobic?

Hawki:

Ezekiel:

Why is it that every time someone says "I'm not a homophobe, but..." they immediately follow by something homophobic?

Hmm. If I said I didn't think Top Gear needed segments on gardening, would that make a floraphobe?

Blood Brain Barrier:

Hawki:

Ezekiel:

Hmm. If I said I didn't think Top Gear needed segments on gardening, would that make a floraphobe?

That's a false equivalency. Top Gear is a non-fiction show based around cars, so gardening is an inherent deviation from its stated premise. Star Trek is a work of fiction with humans predominantly featuring in space. Believe it or not, humans are varied in ethnicity, gender, nationality, etc. That includes sexual orientation, which isn't in contrast to its stated premise.

Laughing Man:

Has the show actually shown that people live in that section? Or are you using the fact that previous shows had Starships that had people live in the saucer section. If you look at the section that spins you'll notice their are no windows on it all the previous ships had windows in the living quarters, the section on the saucer that does have windows, the mid section doesn't spin.

The outer rim of the saucer clearly has windows around it. Looking at the size of the windows vs the where the disk spins it:

a) Causes each room on the saucer rim to be a VERY small room... VERY small and has a door that opens onto a corridor that spins with very little warning if you're trying to get out of said room during black alert (which could very well happen during a jump)

or

b) it's a bigger room with the teeny disadvantage it has a line running down it that, if you're between it when the saucer spins, would violently cut you in half during, same said, black alert.

Dumb... dumb.... DUMB!

I keep watching this now out of fascination, it's like a car crash in slow motion. You can't look away due to morbid fascination.

Okay, Episode 5 (and who is NAMING these episodes? 4 was The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry and now 5 is): Choose your pain.

1. Lorca has a blazing (for him) row with command about not being able to intercede with Discovery.

We also find out CBS and the script team are apparently trying to find a loophole for this darker non-ST feeling ST series by claiming (again) he has been given total control and the Admirals "Do not like it." - nice job guys, you can end this series right away with Lorca going bonkers and the crew being reassigned.

2. Annoying 1st officer goat/gazelle/fish man (can't stand him) gets uppity with Burnham... over her trying to protect the creature (I mean, it's not like he could/should have already had it out with her... why this event is beyond me. I presume it'd due to command stress?)

3. They almost kill a sentient being, and 1st officer man says "do it! Cause I have crew to save" (yeah, TOTALLY federation, right? I mean, that's what Picard did during Home soil and Emergence when they're in a dangerous spot and they realise the beings involved are sentient.

4. (kinda) They even took the fun out of Harry Mudd (I mean, putting him on the prison ship, well... fun place (sighs) but here he's lost that "I'm morally dubious, even a little criminally bent... but I'm charismatic man!" feel.

Overall, another "good god..." episode for me.

Anyway, on the subject of Episode 5, really liked it. I think the show's finding its voice, or it's in a case where the odd numbered episodes are better than the even numbered ones (3 was good, 4 was bad, 5 was good, 1 was perhaps better than 2, etc.) Lorca might be my favorite character now, because while Michael has grown on me, Lorca's a...well, kind of a badass. And usually I hate "badass" being the de facto piece of character description, but like I said, very different style of captain from what we've got, and it's pretty refreshing (also speaking of captains, love the Archer/Pike Easter egg).

-Saru's pretty good as well, getting a better sense of character - someone who wants to command, but is plagued by inner doubt. Kind of a more upfront version of Tilly. Who, on the subject, I've got to say I smirked at the f-bomb. Took us fifty years to get to this point, and of course it's simply "fucking cool!" Cute, in an "awkward, but still endearing" way.

-Mudd was pretty cool. I could certainly see how his current persona could lead to TOS Mudd, but his persona here felt fitting for the circumstances, along with his cynicism and dislike for Starfleet.

-The tardigrade was well handled. It's a case of a moral dillema done well, in that they know they're hurting the creature, which could be sentient, but they're in a time of war, they need to get their captain back, they need an advantage against the klingons, etc. And the ending is pretty good - shades of the TOS Federation starting to come through.

So, pretty good episode.

I prefer this to the Orville by miles. Can't stand that casual bro comedy style, it feels all too unnatural and forced. I tried, but the cracks are too distracting in the many aspects of its' creation.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here