Community Sketch Board

Community Sketch Board

To fully view this content please install the Escapist Plus Add-On version 1.5.1 or later.

Click here for more information.

What is this?
It's a community sketch board which allows all users with the Escapist Plus Add-On installed to draw on it, pixel by pixel.
It's a hastily thrown together little project that can be prone to errors, so I ask people using it to keep this in mind if they come across errors of any sort. Also, there is always the chance of my server melting due to extensive usage.

How does it work?
Drawing is done by clicking somewhere on the canvas, this will spawn a magnifying glass which will give you an editable canvas of 16x16 pixels to click on. Left Clicking will color the pixel and Right Clicking will copy that pixel's color to your color selector.

The number of pixels that you can color is indicated in the top left corner of the application, it takes ~5 minutes for your pixels to 'recharge'. Your pixels restore independently of each other, so if you use them all at once, they will be regenerated all at once as well.

Updates to the canvas can be manually downloaded every ~2 minutes through the Update button in the bottom left corner of the application.
Aside from this, every time a contribution is made new updates from other users are also automatically downloaded.

I know that this isn't as active a community as other websites and thus I'm not expecting any grand memeing, but I suppose that some people could have some fun with it.

Do note that for administrative purposes data is being recorded as to who colors which pixel. Also I would like to ask people not to draw offensive material or attempt weird things, thank you very much.

What does the canvas currently look like?

Is that a Tombi sprite I see?
Mad!

Is this memes? I think this is memes.

Silentpony:

Memes is everything, and everything is memes.

This reminds me of Excel class in high school, where we'd make custom taskbar buttons in class when we were done with out assignments (Ok, and while doing them as well). Neat.

And it's been a whole 2 hours and it doesn't have a penis on it yet. Double neat.

The Rogue Wolf:

Silentpony:

Memes is everything, and everything is memes.

Including memes. Memes is memes, and memes is memes. And this is memes.

The Orchid took like 4 hours to do - disconnects suck

Sometimes you submit a pixel but the processing bar doesn't reset so on the user end it looks like it saved but the reality is that it didn't. A refresh button of sorts would be helpful for such occasions

Despite it being a png when you save the image the pixels blur/fuzz :/

I feel this would work well in a group on the news/announcement section

Dr.Susse:
Is that a Tombi sprite I see?
Mad!

It sure is.

Gauche:
The Orchid took like 4 hours to do - disconnects suck

Sometimes you submit a pixel but the processing bar doesn't reset so on the user end it looks like it saved but the reality is that it didn't. A refresh button of sorts would be helpful for such occasions

Despite it being a png when you save the image the pixels blur/fuzz :/

I feel this would work well in a group on the news/announcement section

I removed the automatic update interval every 2 minutes and added a button in the left bottom corner that will allow for users to ask for a manual update, I can only trust for now that people don't go hitting it every second. I hope that this will help with the previously experienced disconnects and processing bar getting stuck.

Interesting that you are experiencing blurry / fuzzy pixels, sadly it doesn't happen on my end so I can't test whether it works, but I added some flags that should disable image smoothing, which I assume to be the cause of the blurry pixels on your end.

bluegate:
I removed the automatic update interval every 2 minutes and added a button in the left bottom corner that will allow for users to ask for a manual update, I can only trust for now that people don't go hitting it every second. I hope that this will help with the previously experienced disconnects and processing bar getting stuck.

Interesting that you are experiencing blurry / fuzzy pixels, sadly it doesn't happen on my end so I can't test whether it works, but I added some flags that should disable image smoothing, which I assume to be the cause of the blurry pixels on your end.

I frequently get an error "request headers were malformed" when the contribution is being sent which results in the data not saving and requires me to close/reopen the page. The update button states the same error once this occurs.

Turns out having a soften filter enabled and zooming in on an image by 2000% makes things fuzzy - /derp

I've bookmarked this
Sorta expected WW users to have flooded the thing by now

Gauche:
I frequently get an error "request headers were malformed" when the contribution is being sent which results in the data not saving and requires me to close/reopen the page. The update button states the same error once this occurs.

Turns out having a soften filter enabled and zooming in on an image by 2000% makes things fuzzy - /derp

I added some error codes to the messages people receive and updated the error loggings on the back end, I hope that this will generate enough information to try and locate the source of those errors in the future.

Gauche:
I've bookmarked this
Sorta expected WW users to have flooded the thing by now

I guess they either aren't as bad as people'd think, or people in the Wild West just care little about this here sketch board😛💦

To gauge where the Wild West would take it, I did a test run of the sketch board over in the Wild West for a week before I moved it here, most of the things you saw on the board when you first opened it were the result of that. As things were rather tame, I decided to use the same board, rather than create two separate boards.

Disconnects are rare now so yay

Anyway to incorporate an alert once your pixels have fully recharged to 80?
Something like the error prompts which would make the chrome tab flash orange so I can go off into another tab and enjoy the net instead of conditioning my internal clock to a 5 minute cycle

Whoever is doing that huge sketch at the bottom, props to your patience :-P

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here