Youtube Demonetization

It's a popular topic and I think this is a great video without the usual politics around the subject. It's a long video but you watch it in the background while doing other things.

Your thoughts?

Several Youtubers I like are moving to Vid.Me, mostly independent musicians like James "LittleV" Mills and ToxicXEternity; but also TF2 Youtuber Ace The Ocarina Maker, who himself did a string of videos on being demonetized.

Honestly, I hope more people jump ship to Vid.Me. It seems like the better place to be right now. If PewDiePie jumped to Vid.Me, just imagine what would happen.

American Tanker:
Several Youtubers I like are moving to Vid.Me, mostly independent musicians like James "LittleV" Mills and ToxicXEternity; but also TF2 Youtuber Ace The Ocarina Maker, who himself did a string of videos on being demonetized.

Honestly, I hope more people jump ship to Vid.Me. It seems like the better place to be right now. If PewDiePie jumped to Vid.Me, just imagine what would happen.

If you don't contribute to the community by commenting or have a lot of subscribers, the staff will not approve you for unlimited uploads. There is a 50 GB/week limit.

Also, I uploaded some of my videos to Vid.Me and found that they kept stopping. I had to use the seek bar to get them to continue playing. Vid.Me apparently isn't smart enough to adequately compress videos that are too large for it. This is a big problem for me, since I've stopped using Fraps and began using Nvidia Shadowplay, whose recordings already look pretty compressed at 40,000 kbps. I don't wanna compress a compressed video. Edit: What am I saying? At least Handbrake compression isn't as bad as YouTube compression.

YouTube is a sinking ship and something, likely Vid.Me but possibly something else, will be the Facebook to this MySpace.

Its YouTube. Only YouTubers care about YouTube. Let them all crash and burn. No one will miss any of them.

So for those of us who don't want to watch whoever this hack is, is this just Jim's copyright deadlock?

Oh also, in case if anyone doesn't know, you can't now put links in your video, if your channel's unmonetized.

https://imgur.com/a/W7ZnQ

Want to circumvent this all entirely and just post links to Patreon or whatever the fuck? Well fuck you!
Also, "Approved" external sites.
You want to do the same as Steven Crowder did and create your own crowdfunding system independent of Patreon or other established platforms?
Well, fuck you too!

Youtube is a free service so obviously Goofle is free to re-direct their ad revenue wherever it's the most lucrative for them. It sucks b/c there are some definitely good content creators(like Ragnarox) but if that's not the content advertisers demand there's not much even google can do but comply and shape it the way advertisers want. It's ironic though as the same principle is what makes TV so shit. Maybe some of the more popular channels can get by with patraeon and such but most will probably fall by the wayside.

As for alternatives; youtube consolidated that market to such an extent good luck with anyone trying to break that monopoly. Most people who watch youtube for beauty/shopping vlogs, cat videos and top 10's won't even notice videos outside their area of interest disappearing.

Souplex:
So for those of us who don't want to watch whoever this hack is, is this just Jim's copyright deadlock?

No, the copyright deadlock prevents videos from being taken down, but they are 100% without exception going to be demonitized because the issue is that no one company can claim to own the rights to the material in the video and therefor cannot take it down. Jim can only manage that because he doesn't run ads on his Jimquisition episodes.

The demonitization issue stems from videos being rejected for being even able to play ads, which most YouTubers who do it professionally are reliant on because even with Patreon it's still the norm for most revenue to come from ads. The YouTube Purge that we're going through is seeing entire genres of video makers demonitized, from gaming channels to political discussion ones (regardless of political leaning or how radical/moderate they are), and what's worst is that things are so broken that some (such as Razorfist) have confirmed it has nothing to do with content (he uploaded a private video that was just footage of his room and him saying random words and it was demonatized), while others have found that videos allowing unskippable ads will stay up but the same video skippable ads will be demonitized (ShortFatOtaku).

To put it simply, Google has taken the well known fact that the people it has running the site have no idea what the hell they're doing and ramped it up to levels never seen before. Expect the CEO and many others in the management to be removed by the shareholders in the next 12 months.

Souplex:

No. I suspect Jim may put a video about it Monday, but it isn't the old deadlock. Several Youtubers who get their revenue outside YouTube (like crowdfunding) don't put advertisements on their videos. But now YouTube has deactivated the options to have links to Patreon or (any page at all) unless they have advertisements on their videos. Added to how in the past months, lots of videos in YouTube have lost their monetization because of unsuitable content (like swearing); this situation has become ridiculous.

CaitSeith:
Added to how in the past months, lots of videos in YouTube have lost their monetization because of unsuitable content (like swearing); this situation has become ridiculous.

It gets even more ridiculous when you take into account the fact some advertisers have stated interest in advertising on specific videos/channels that have been demonitized, yet Google, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that only they know what's advertiser friendly, not advertisers.

Silentpony:
Its YouTube. Only YouTubers care about YouTube. Let them all crash and burn. No one will miss any of them.

I'll miss Leonard French (Though I wish he'd stop talking about Alex Mauer so much. I understand that he's got a 'personal stake' in that fight that makes it a lot less sad than everyone else who harps on about it, but still, enough is enough).

CaitSeith:
No. I suspect Jim may put a video about it Monday, but it isn't the old deadlock. Several Youtubers who get their revenue outside YouTube (like crowdfunding) don't put advertisements on their videos. But now YouTube has deactivated the options to have links to Patreon or (any page at all) unless they have advertisements on their videos. Added to how in the past months, lots of videos in YouTube have lost their monetization because of unsuitable content (like swearing); this situation has become ridiculous.

Wait, WHAT? Holy crap, that's jacked.

Isn't this only important if you have a YouTube channel?

Johnny Novgorod:

Not just a channel, but tens of thousands of subscribers to get even $.10 off ads. I know a guy who has a channel with nearly 100k subs, and he gets like $4.50 a month in revenue.

Only the dudes in the millions of subs will see a significant drop in revenue, but most of them are smart enough to post 'friendly' content.

Silentpony:

Johnny Novgorod:

Not just a channel, but tens of thousands of subscribers to get even $.10 off ads. I know a guy who has a channel with nearly 100k subs, and he gets like $4.50 a month in revenue.

Only the dudes in the millions of subs will see a significant drop in revenue, but most of them are smart enough to post 'friendly' content.

Ah, gotcha.

So apparently any LGBT youtubers who get demonentized because they're LGBT don't get Red money.

Jesus, YouTube really wants competition.

I mean, they aren't going to get it, because bandwidth is expensive, but god damn. That's what you get when you use machine learning and have a bunch of bigots reporting anything LGBT positive as abusive. Garbage in, garbage out.

It's all hilariously tone-deaf from Youtube. One Youtuber I follow, TheJ3z, recently got demonetized... for uploading video game footage that contains guns. Specifically, Destiny 2.

The Ads that were running on his channel before he got demonetized? They were for Destiny 2. They literally stripped gaming ads from a gaming channel, all because there's guns in the game. Powerfully stupid stuff.

EDIT: Also, as Jim Sterling points out in his latest video, 'Patreon Patreon Patreon. They can't stop me from SAYING it'. Youtube blocking links to patreon isn't actually going to stop anyone plugging it, and continuing to demonetize videos is just going to force more people to turn to Patreon anyway. Bloody stupid, Youtube, bloody stupid.

Google is a monopoly and so Youtube is ,or at least it used to be. At least for twelve years they have planned to implement a type of paid service, the ad apocalypse gave them the long term boost to push harder for it. Lets be real the ad apocalypse hurt them in the short term, but allowed them to become more aggressive with their content pushing for a paid service model. All the whining and complaining people are doing is actually doing nothing to change the point that a billion dollar corporation wants them gone.

There also is really nothing anyone can do to stop this, unless someone complaining actually owns a billion dollar Capital Investment Corporation. I don't think we will see much change in the dynamic already falling upon the video site itself.
I wish luck for Vid.Me and the others in trying to become major competition against Youtube. Though with google as YT's parent they will never become the competition we are hoping for. Google could always just slow down traffic to their competition with a now clearly anti-neutrality FCC in place.

What a horrible time period to be a creator or even a consumer.

Wrex Brogan:
EDIT: Also, as Jim Sterling points out in his latest video, 'Patreon Patreon Patreon. They can't stop me from SAYING it'.

But then some people whine "stop begging me for money and just focus on your content, I'll give you money if I feel like it" and then they don't bother.

The Rogue Wolf:

Wrex Brogan:
EDIT: Also, as Jim Sterling points out in his latest video, 'Patreon Patreon Patreon. They can't stop me from SAYING it'.

But then some people whine "stop begging me for money and just focus on your content, I'll give you money if I feel like it" and then they don't bother.

I'd rather just give a single time donation than patreon since I'm sure I'll eventually forget it exists and lose cash. Some Youtubers are more obnoxious about it than others and the worst are the ones who have like fifth of their video advertising.

To twist the knife in the wound, youtube is now running a transphobic ad. I really hope this comes back to bite them in the ass.

Oh wow, now even Review Brah's been demonetized. His stuff is PG at worst.

Silentpony:

What type of content does he make though?

There are channels with a little over 100,000 subscribers, BulletBarry being the most recent example, who have quit their jobs to go full time on YouTube. Sure he's got a Patreon page but it isn't bringing in a living wage on its own, so even with 113,000 subscribers he must be pulling in sufficient ad revenue to make the jump to full time creator worthwhile.

It's part of why I always find it hard to believe when YouTubers with millions of subscribers and Patreon pages (where they hide the amount they get each month) start pleading poverty.

votemarvel:

Silentpony:

What type of content does he make though?

There are channels with a little over 100,000 subscribers, BulletBarry being the most recent example, who have quit their jobs to go full time on YouTube. Sure he's got a Patreon page but it isn't bringing in a living wage on its own, so even with 113,000 subscribers he must be pulling in sufficient ad revenue to make the jump to full time creator worthwhile.

It's part of why I always find it hard to believe when YouTubers with millions of subscribers and Patreon pages (where they hide the amount they get each month) start pleading poverty.

He does what everyone does since PewDiePie came along - video game commentary.

And that Patreon thing is big. That's why they have them, and not just relying on YouTube ads themselves. MundaneMatt has a patreon, takes ad money, and does sponsorship deals. Jim Sterling did a video where he admitted without his Patreon, the new YouTube ad policy would have cut his earnings in half.

Even Pewds took backroom deals to give good coverage of games when he was just starting out, and building up steam. Ad money wasn't enough, and to justify making videos for a living he made deals to keep himself afloat.
Not criticizing, I fully understand it. I'd be shocked if all the top channels didn't have backroom deals or secret sponsorship.

Ad revenue has always been the least profitable part of being a YouTube personality.

Well there's commentary and then there's colour commentary. Does he use 'foul' language, as I understand it even the mild stuff can get your videos demonetised. It's ridiculous how strict they are these days.

MundaneMatt gets $353 dollars a month from his Patreon (I'm assuming before that site takes its cut), so let's err on the low side and say he gets to take $300 from them. YouTube money, and I'll include sponsorships in that, has to fill the gap. So assuming a $1000 a month as a living wage (and a tight one at that), that's $700 a month he's making from YouTube. I wonder what it could have been before the Adpocalypse.

Jim's content does tend to stray onto the side of colourful language at times, okay most of the time. That's a problem I think a lot of people who have been hit by the policy change are finding it hard to adapt to. The use of swear words has become such a part of their language on YouTube, and I dare say their audience kind of expects it by now, that they simply don't know how to change.

Yet I wonder why. By their own admission they script the videos out, so why not write a script that doesn't contain any foul lanuage and reduce the risk of getting flagged?

I wonder how long it will take for Youtube to demonetize too much. Like, so much that it's just not worth it to rely on adds any more, even partially. As by then I bet the popular youtubers will jump ship, figuring they might as well go to a different site rather than stay with the ones whom basically took away their livelihoods through add demonetization.

The problem is that Google is really the only player in the market with the infrastructure to service the amount of video content, and suffer the bandwidth from people downloading music through conversation sites/software.

Could the other video streaming sites out there cope with a mass exodus from YouTube. Would they have the policies and personal to deal with such an influx? I kind of have my doubts.

YOuTube is a terrible option for people to try and make a living on. The problem is that it really is the only one.

votemarvel:
Well there's commentary and then there's colour commentary. Does he use 'foul' language, as I understand it even the mild stuff can get your videos demonetised. It's ridiculous how strict they are these days.

MundaneMatt gets $353 dollars a month from his Patreon (I'm assuming before that site takes its cut), so let's err on the low side and say he gets to take $300 from them. YouTube money, and I'll include sponsorships in that, has to fill the gap. So assuming a $1000 a month as a living wage (and a tight one at that), that's $700 a month he's making from YouTube. I wonder what it could have been before the Adpocalypse.

Jim's content does tend to stray onto the side of colourful language at times, okay most of the time. That's a problem I think a lot of people who have been hit by the policy change are finding it hard to adapt to. The use of swear words has become such a part of their language on YouTube, and I dare say their audience kind of expects it by now, that they simply don't know how to change.

Yet I wonder why. By their own admission they script the videos out, so why not write a script that doesn't contain any foul lanuage and reduce the risk of getting flagged?

Mind you Jim's stuff, while adult im content both language and visually (he uses a dildo sword in certain videos), was considered apt for monetization (the stuff he does monetize) after manual human review. Which means that the algorithm Youtube is using is deeply flawed making hubdreds of false positives and affecting people's livelyhood. And that is part of the isse. I guess most content creators couldn't care less that abusive channels and videos don't make money, but Youtube's handling is apoalling, with creators having little in the guise of guidelines (and some feeling that even when following the ones that hey have) may have their content demonetized by incompetent algorithms and lack of human contact and fore warning they found that their livelyhood was taking a hit, even when they where playing by the rules they always have.

Silentpony:
Jim Sterling did a video where he admitted without his Patreon, the new YouTube ad policy would have cut his earnings in half.

small correction, Jim let us know that his ad revenue did get cut in half, but he survived because he was in Patreon. But if at work they cut my bonus in half without notice I would be pissed too.

I thought that YouTube ad money was a joke anyway and that most people made most of their money from Patreon and the like?

kurokotetsu:
Mind you Jim's stuff, while adult im content both language and visually (he uses a dildo sword in certain videos), was considered apt for monetization (the stuff he does monetize) after manual human review. Which means that the algorithm Youtube is using is deeply flawed making hundreds of false positives and affecting people's livelihood. And that is part of the issue. I guess most content creators couldn't care less that abusive channels and videos don't make money, but Youtube's handling is appalling, with creators having little in the guise of guidelines (and some feeling that even when following the ones that hey have) may have their content demonetized by incompetent algorithms and lack of human contact and forewarning they found that their livelihood was taking a hit, even when they where playing by the rules they always have.

small correction, Jim let us know that his ad revenue did get cut in half, but he survived because he was in Patreon. But if at work they cut my bonus in half without notice I would be pissed too.

As far as I am aware the dildo sword, which I always assumed was a replica of the Penetrator weapon from Saints Row, has only ever made an appearance in the Jimquisition, which is already ad free.

Something worth mentioning in this case is that Jim was a fairly well known games journalist before he went independant on YouTube. His market was already established.

If people who have 100 to 200 thousand subscribers on YouTube can make a living wage from the site, then yeah it really isn't as bad as people want to make out.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here