If you like My Hero Academia...

So I'm not a big fan of anime, like at all. But I heard about this one, and given my love of the super hero genre, I thought I'd give it a look. And I ended up really enjoying the hell out of it. Like a LOT. More than I was expecting to.

But watching it, I started to notice a lot of similarities to a book series that I had read, and is still ongoing. So if you are a fan of My Hero Academia, and enjoy the whole Super Hero School concept (but played for more realism), then you should probably check out the Super Powereds book series by Drew Hayes.

They have a LOT in common, from the general setup, (though Super Powereds is college, not high school), the way they do the training, etc. It was a very enjoyable similarity for me.

So yeah, go check it out, you won't regret it.

What about you? Are there any "if you like X, then you will probably like Y" things that you've experienced? Preferably things like "if you like this movie, you might like this anime" or "this anime, you'll like this book" style of stuff. I mean if you are comparing anime ok I guess, but I'm more interested in what outside sources of entertainment you came across, that were similar to something different.

Is that the one with the frog lady? I've been meaning to watch that.

It's a good manga, haven't seen the anime yet, which hasn't jumped the shark.
Unlike, say, Magi which is going to either have a REALLY great ending...or something as shitty as Negamis' crap.

renegade7:

Yes, and she's probably my favorite character in the show honestly. :)

Tanis:
It's a good manga, haven't seen the anime yet, which hasn't jumped the shark.
Unlike, say, Magi which is going to either have a REALLY great ending...or something as shitty as Negamis' crap.

Can't speak for the manga, I don't read them, but I do enjoy the anime. And to qualify that, I usually HATE anime, especially the ones that do all the classic anime tropes. The goofy animation style when someone is expressing extreme emotions, the little chibi stuff, all that usually quickly turns me off to an anime. But this one, despite having those elements, is still really really damn good.

I love My Hero Academia. Probably one of my favorite manga and animes right now.

Happyninja42:

renegade7:

And mine. It's fun to see a female character do that kind of ugly-cute design.

Queen Michael:

Happyninja42:

renegade7:

Not just that, but her personality and competency just make her so awesome. She's got some of the funniest lines, and the voice actress who does her in the subtitle version just cracks me up with her delivery xD

Like many shounen shows My Hero Academia plagiarizes concepts from is inspired by other works. The utter lack of originality in the shounen genre these days is why you can often spot similarities between many shounen shows and, it seems, even western works aimed at younger people.

As for similar shows i would point towards To Aru Majustu no Index (A Certain Magical Index) and To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun).

Both shows have the same basic premise of following the adventures of individuals within an Academy City.

Index begins with 'an ordinary high school boy' coming into a contact with a nun whose on the run from a secret cabal of magicians from outside Academy City and goes various places from there.

Railgun follows the life of one of the city's most powerful espers from matters of daily life to fighting the worst excesses of the institutions running Academy City.

gigastar:
Like many shounen shows My Hero Academia plagiarizes concepts from is inspired by other works. The utter lack of originality in the shounen genre these days is why you can often spot similarities between many shounen shows and, it seems, even western works aimed at younger people.

As for similar shows i would point towards To Aru Majustu no Index (A Certain Magical Index) and To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun).

Both shows have the same basic premise of following the adventures of individuals within an Academy City.

Index begins with 'an ordinary high school boy' coming into a contact with a nun whose on the run from a secret cabal of magicians from outside Academy City and goes various places from there.

Railgun follows the life of one of the city's most powerful espers from matters of daily life to fighting the worst excesses of the institutions running Academy City.

Umm yeah works of fiction inspire from one another also those two examples you mentioned take place in the same universe so it makes since that they are similar from one another

Also Shonen Jump got two new series that are widely different from the norm Promised Neverland and Dr stone

PapaGreg096:

gigastar:
Like many shounen shows My Hero Academia plagiarizes concepts from is inspired by other works.

Umm yeah works of fiction inspire from one another

Yes. Thats literally what i said.

PapaGreg096:
also those two examples you mentioned take place in the same universe so it makes since that they are similar from one another

Oh. My. God. I never realized that two works written by the same author featuring the same fictional location, organizations and characters and going on to feature the same story arc told from different characters perspectives could possibly be taking place in the same universe.

Seriously though, i dont even know why you would assume i didnt know this.

PapaGreg096:
Also Shonen Jump got two new series that are widely different from the norm Promised Neverland and Dr stone

I wouldnt have known this as my interests have firmly departed from the shounen genre.

I may well check them out later, havent played the Shounen Drinking Game since Fairy Tail ended.

gigastar:
Snip

Okay you stated that media lacks originality and for this example you use two works that share the same universes, do you know how stupid that is. Maybe in hindsight you should've used better examples.

I think the original Dragon Ball still holds up.

My Hero Acadamia is a great Japanese take on the American superhero genre

Queen Michael:

Happyninja42:

renegade7:

A funny thing i relized is that UA is basically a school full of heros that would never get marvel movies. Even the kid with generic super-man powers has rabbit ears on his suit, the guy who runs fast literally has echaust pipes on his calfs. It really nails the weird, some times outright surreal character designs of a silver-age comic while also evolving it through a new art style and the series has consistently proven itself capable of making even the weirdest ones unironically cool

PapaGreg096:
Okay you stated that media lacks originality and for this example you use two works that share the same universes, do you know how stupid that is. Maybe in hindsight you should've used better examples.

So two works by the same creator set in the same universe using the same characters are similar.

Got any other high impact revelations for us?

I will see your Boku no Hero Academia and raise you one Tiger and Bunny. The latter is the Japanese take on the "professional hero" with sponsorships and licensees. A bit of a bromance anime but the superhero setting I think is well done.

gigastar:

PapaGreg096:

So two works by the same creator set in the same universe using the same characters are similar.

Got any other high impact revelations for us?

Okay so you didn't get my last comment, so I'll try to spell it out for you. My point is that when you are going to state media lacks originality its not a good idea to use two series that have the same author and share the same universe.

OK KO is My Hero Academia crossed with Clerks crossed with Steven Universe.

PapaGreg096:
My point is that when you are going to state media lacks originality its not a good idea to use two series that have the same author and share the same universe.

The Railgun and Accelerator mangas both serve as supplementary stories to the main series of light novels and are, as such, contained within the same franchise.

The only reason i mentioned them separately is simply because the respective animes were published under different titles.

The Railgun mangas full title is actually 'To Aru Majustu no Kinsho Mokuroku Gaiden: To Aru Kagaku no Choudenjibou' or 'A Aertain Magical Index Side Story: A Certain Scientific Railgun'

But anyway, back to my original comment because i think you have misunderstood it.

gigastar:
Like many shounen shows My Hero Academia plagiarizes concepts from is inspired by other works.

Now what this is, is a reference to the fact that for every One Piece, Bleach or Naruto out there, there has been hundreds, perhaps even thousands of hack writers who have been trying strike big for themselves by way of replicating a successful formula.

My Hero Academis is, in my opinion, one of the successes of this process. Doesnt mean i dont like what ive seen of it, just means its got nothing i havent seen before.

So far I'm liking Black Clover...the manga has been pretty solid as well.

Nothing revolutionary, but solid popcorn 'n bubblegum.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here