Need inspiration for a new D&D character.

Pages PREV 1 2

I just had a thought. You said that you weren't much fond of the combat sections. So why not see about creating a noncombatant character? Say, for instance, you're an ambassador (or perhaps a noncombative member of the clergy...whatever the case, the character is disinclined towards violence) who the party has been hired to protect en route to your destination. Or perhaps you're some aristocrat's brat whose parents arranged for the party to teach you responsibility (without fully understanding the danger of adventuring). Depending on how you wanted to play that, that could result in anything from you barking orders from the sidelines, to - as part of your character's development - realizing midway through that you needed to take up arms yourself, and thus adopt a more conventional class (preferably with a training interlude to bridge the level gap a bit).

Asita:
I just had a thought. You said that you weren't much fond of the combat sections. So why not see about creating a noncombatant character? Say, for instance, you're an ambassador (or perhaps a noncombative member of the clergy...whatever the case, the character is disinclined towards violence) who the party has been hired to protect en route to your destination. Or perhaps you're some aristocrat's brat whose parents arranged for the party to teach you responsibility (without fully understanding the danger of adventuring). Depending on how you wanted to play that, that could result in anything from you barking orders from the sidelines, to - as part of your character's development - realizing midway through that you needed to take up arms yourself, and thus adopt a more conventional class (preferably with a training interlude to bridge the level gap a bit).

I did something similar to that with a Warlock, he was a scholar and technically he knew how to fight quite well but he only wielded his sword 3 times (On a campaign that lasted 5 months) and he used magic attacks 4 times in the entire campaign and on all occasions he was alone, all he did was talk and investigate, he was OK with using magic but since it was a secret he only used it when he could afford to leave no witnesses, since it was supposed to be forbidden magic and there were a Paladin and a Cleric that didn't trust him because he was a Tiefling it would have been too much, plus he was of morally questionable character. (Neutral)[1]

I liked playing that quite a lot, also on Legend of the 5 Rings I had a character that was a Courtier Detective, he could kinda-sorta fight but he was pretty shit compared to the Samurai, that was also fun to play.

In reality, now that I think about it, I've actually done that quite a lot of times, none of all my Rogues have been combat characters, the Bards I've played didn't fight they just buffed and debuffed, the Cleric pretty much Healing, Buffs and Debuffs, the only characters that I've had that got into combat were a fighter on Pathfinder that mostly just tanked, 2 Wizards one in Pathfinder and another one D&D 5e (Played 4 Wizards in D&D) and the Paladin that I played once, so I would say that I very rarely play characters that are not of that type.

That being said my combat wizard on D&D and my Paladin were both extremely successful while in combat[2], they tended to be so effective that they would take care of the bosses by themselves, leaving the party scratching their heads contemplating what had happened, so when I get into it I can do it well but I'm rarely ever interested in combat, in fact, CON is more often than not my chosen dump stat, because I assume I'll have little to do with fighting and it's not tied into any skills, therefore it's useless.

[1] In the end he died to save everyone though.
[2] The fact that they were played by me was very much essential though, as their success mostly came from investigating what they were facing (In game) and having a plan ready for the confrontation, for example I had the party equipped with shields polished to a mirror shine when we were heading into the Gorgon's lair, or ambushed a Blackguard near a very tall canyon and pushing him off the cliff with a well placed Grease and a levitate and so on, not so much mastery of mechanics, just well laid out plans.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here