Is the Buffy The Vampire Slayer season 8 motion comic worth watching?

I just noticed it was available on iTunes. Thing is the series ended in such a self contained way that I'm not sure I want to know. If it's good though, I might get it. Anyone seen it?

Basically, if you think Buffy season4 on in most(or all, as the rare clinically insane appear to say) ways improved the story and universe, then season8 is just more of the same.

It's good in parts that seems to have Brendan's writing and overview in it, but bad otherwise if you ask me.

I'm someone who thought Buffy jumped the shark after Season 5. I gave the Season 8 comics a try. I stopped reading about 3/4 of the way. The story got really convoluted, and there were some plot twists I really didn't like. However, there were few really cool moments early in the season that I liked. If you are curious, and can afford it. Go for it, but keep your expectations low.

dscross:
I just noticed it was available on iTunes. Thing is the series ended in such a self contained way that I?m not sure I want to know. If it?s good though, I might get it. Anyone seen it?

I'm in the camp that thinks that they should never of continued Buffy on in comic form after the TV series ended, because like you stated, it ended quite nicely (unlike Angel, grumble grumble). A friend gave me the motion comic on dvd and my opinion is that its alright. The thing that threw me most about it is that none of the original cast lend their voices to it, so all of the characters sound wrong. If you can get over that, then you might as well give it a watch if you want a continuation of a TV show that didn't need continuing.

KissingSunlight:
I'm someone who thought Buffy jumped the shark after Season 5. I gave the Season 8 comics a try. I stopped reading about 3/4 of the way. The story got really convoluted, and there were some plot twists I really didn't like. However, there were few really cool moments early in the season that I liked. If you are curious, and can afford it. Go for it, but keep your expectations low.

I agree Season 7 was weak. The ending was good though. I can forgive Season 6 for its shortcomings for having Once More With Feeling and the last 3 episodes.

I don't like the voice acting, so, no.

Worth a read, I think many of the Buffy/Angelverse comics are worth the read, but the motion comic(s)??? aren't worth the time.

Tanis:
I don't like the voice acting, so, no.

Worth a read, I think many of the Buffy/Angelverse comics are worth the read, but the motion comic(s)??? aren't worth the time.

What's wrong with the voice acting? Just because the original cast aren't in it?

@dscross:
To me it just sounds, off, I'd rather read the comic with the characters' voices popping in my head than some bored voice actors reading a script.

Plus, I'm a quick reader, so it goes a lot faster.

dscross:
I agree Season 7 was weak. The ending was good though. I can forgive Season 6 for its shortcomings for having Once More With Feeling and the last 3 episodes.

I dislike some fundamental choices Joss made[1], but I reckon some of the very best eps in the whole series are in S7; Conversations With Dead People, Selfless, Lies My Parents Told Me, Chosen (of course), and even Storyteller.

As for 8? I dislike motion comics so I've no idea how well it's done, but I feel S8 was--- well, absolutely all over the place... and at times completely removed from the tone and charm of the show. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others Some volumes are much better than others, and by the end Joss more or less wrote an acknowledgement (at the back of the last TPB) that they'd veered too far off course from what the show established.

I also dislike how 8 feels like an awkward, hard break from where 7 left off. Frankly I think there's a reasonable case to be made that Buffy S8 might the worst comic Joss has had his name on (certainly in terms of expectations and doing justice to an iconic show) - it's not even in the same league as Astonishing X-Men or Fray.

I'd like to return to BtVS sometime, but after S8 I only got the first volume of S9, and haven't kept up since.

So as huge a Whedonite as I am, S8's a hard sell.

[1] Mildly irritating/disappointing for an agnostic - or atheist - humanist to make 'Evil' essentially the Big Bad. And as much as the idea works in theory, and by the last ep when there's the pay-off, I think the limitations of their TV budget made the Potentials kinda suck.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here