The My Little Pony Movie.

So the mlp movie is out and its good.

YAY, I can hear your cheering, except for american trucker (or whatever) The jokes in it are pretty good, the new designs aren't bad (although they do look younger than I can see the main cast. Everything else in the world is so much bigger than then, gah.) When I first heard the sound track I wasn't big on it but its certainly grown on me with the context of the movie. Specifically Sia's song

and Time to be Awesome (guess who sings that)

It ended pretty well too, they killed the hell out of the big bad.

Really the main problems with it are that it forgot how powerful their magic is, the royal guard were all on vacation, Celestia, Luna and Cadance didn't get to do anything, no Discord or Starlight and there just wasn't enough time for the whole cast to really get to do much (apparently the movie takes place between season 7 and 8, maybe they kill them off or something). Fluttershy pretty much did nothing, Rarity at least got some good lines and did influence pimp cat.

So yeah, pretty good, better than the EQG movies and I liked Rainbow Rocks and the sports one. Although if your not already into it then I doubt there is anything for you here.

Worgen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTZctTG6cE

Though I have to ask how you saw it. Because if you walked into the cinema, you're a braver man than I am.

That said, I might be able to get it on Youtube, as it's already been uploaded in fragments.

Hawki:

Worgen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTZctTG6cE

Though I have to ask how you saw it. Because if you walked into the cinema, you're a braver man than I am.

That said, I might be able to get it on Youtube, as it's already been uploaded in fragments.

Went to see it at the Alamo draft house, cause ponies need beer. I'm sure you can find it on one of the streaming sites if you can't quite work up the nerve to see it in a theater.

Worgen:
Although if your not already into it then I doubt there is anything for you here.

This is the most important part of your post.

It's very lacking as a movie for someone who doesn't watch the show - but functions fine as a longer, shinier episode of the TV show.

Marter:

Worgen:
Although if your not already into it then I doubt there is anything for you here.

This is the most important part of your post.

It's very lacking as a movie for someone who doesn't watch the show - but functions fine as a longer, shinier episode of the TV show.

I don't think it would be possible to to make it less lacking for a new audience. There is just too large of a mane cast to really show the depth of them all in a movie format. I mean it even took awhile for most of the audience who like the show to warm up to best pony, Rarity.

Dear Escapist Friends,

recently the film adaptation of the widely succesful cartoon show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic hit cinemas and as a film enthusiast I didn't hesitate to watch it. I'm not as familiar with the cartoon as I used to be so I can't claim to be up to date with it past the third season 3 but I like to think I have a pretty good grasp on its overall themes. What Friendship is Magic does is to present and explore an utopian matriarchal society through the eyes of 6 archetypal but nevertheless believably realized members of that society.
You have Twilight Sparkle, the intellectual, as the leader, the kind of person who would rise to the top in a society free of the patriarchal obsession with physical strength and the demonstrative display of power.
You have Applejack, the worker, the practically minded farmer from a family of farmers. The interesting thing about her is her subversion of the archetype of the cowboy which she resembles in both appearance and demeanor, but instead of the rugged individualism the cowboy represents she is motivated by altruism rather than self interest.
Rainbow Dash is probably the character of the Mane 6 embodying the most typically "masculine" traits, being brash, cocky, competetive and arrogant. This makes her, very deliberately, come off as immature and aggressive. Plase note that these attributes are, for the most part, treated as flaws to be overcome for her to realize her true potential. It's obvious why in a matriarchal society there'd be an expectation for these traits to be reigned in (no pun intended), yet the general philosophy of tolerance and the attitude of true harmony only being able to exist where there's individuality makes it possible for her not to be an outcast but a respected member of society just like everyone else.
Rarity is the aesthet. She's an artist, working in fashion, with the intention of creating things of genuine beauty as every artist does, in their way. The show doesn't take an entirely uncritical approach to her profession, it's very well aware that art is only genuine as long as it doesn't get overtaken by materialism, which Rarity has a tendency to indulge in. This is her deciding character flaw. There's a thin line between the eternal struggle for true, transcendent beauty and the decadence and vanity that seems so tempting on your way to create it. This makes her, for an artistically minded person such as myself, the most intriguing and the most relatable character in the show
Fluttershy, on the other hand, is more in line with a shamanistic understanding of the world and the unity between nature and civilization. As a very meek and mild mannered equine she prefers the company of animals to the company of her fellow ponies who are... also, technically, animals but please stay with me. One of the things making equestrian society superior to human society is its unity with nature, free from the exploitation that has become such a deeply internalized part of our life.
And at last there's Pinkie Pie who is a very odd character easily dismissed as mere comic relief. But there is more to it than that that I find very important to adress. She's The Fool, a character who unites childlike innocence with great knowledge we only occasionally get to glimpse at. Pinkie Pie is a transcendent character, she, perhaps best, represents the underlying philosophy of feminine superiority. It's no coincidence that she is colored pink, the colour traditionally associated with feminity. She represents the state of pure bliss and joy a person can reach when they're free of of the influence of masculine control. If we put it in context of her upbringing on a rock farm under the eyes of her father, in all likelihood a stern and humourless patriarch, she's representative of someone who has gained her own independence and reached a higher mental state of pure joy other ponies can only aspire to.

I know this is a bit of a lengthy introduction for a thread that is meant to be not about the series but about the motion picture but I found it important to contextualize a few things before delving into the themes of the film. The film plays off of Twilight Sparkle being elevated to the status of princess at the end of the third season. This in itself is interesting when looking at the other three princesses. Celestia representing the sun and with it enlightenment and clarity, Luna representing the night and with it the ambigous, dreams, those things that are on the fringe of our perception. And, of course, Cadence, who represents love and compassion, seemingly being the most down to earth of the group. Next to these three rulers embodying very abstract concepts Twilight appears to represent something else entirely, perhaps the concept of reason and logic rising to stand next the more mystical ideas the other three represent.

But I digress. The film starts with a concept of who we are told is a popular singer in the world of Equestria poetically named Songbird Serenade, voiced by Sia who sang that Cheap Thrills song they keep playing on the radio. If we look at Sia's design she represents a contrast of light and dark, a duality if you will, which cleverly foreshadows a larger theme in the film. Her long awaited concert gets interrupted by an invasion of sinister forces represented by by a unicorn named Tempest, whos defining feature seems to be her broken horn. This is a subtle shorthand for a type of feminine emasculation, if you will, she was violently robbed of a defining part of her identity. She is working for a monkey creature calling himself the Storm King, voiced by Liev Schreiber, known for putting his son into really fruity costumes. Now, there's some significance to this as a monkey of any kind is probably the closest this show will ever come to representing humans. He's also male, which is not entirely unheard of but nevertheless somewhat unusual for Friendship is Magic antagonists. So the idea here is very clear, Tempest is a female servant, to a male dictator, representing the opression women face in a patriarchal society. Watching the film we recognize this as a violation of the natural order of things. Why would this capable, independent female listen to the orders of a questionably competent man? And as this crosses our mind we can't help but face that in our world, this is normal. Only one of countless hard hitting realizations the work provides us with.

Tempest conquers Equestria's capital Canterlot and incapacitates the three Princesses Celestia, Luna and Cadence. So I ask you to think about what this means: The forces of male oppression have defeated both the representation of light, darkness and love. Leaving only the Twilight Sparkle to save them. When the belief in the abstract order of things fails us the one thing we can and have to rely on are our own intelligence, a valuable lesson to be learned indeed. She, along with her friends set out to find the only one who's able to help them, the queen of the hippogryffs. To do that they have to venture outside of Equestria which is perhabs one of the most important aspects of the film. We see what lies outside Equestria and what we see is a lawless wasteland. For the first time we realize that the Equestrian utopia is only a small fraction of a bleak and hopeless world. They enter a dilapidated town where compassion seems to be all but dead and money is the only language its inhabitants speak. It's clear commentary on the nature of capitalism as a means to maintain control while destroying the living conditions of those living under it. They make friends with a catlike creature who, maybe for the first time, is confronted with genuine love and compassion. On their way to the mountains the hippogryphs live on they travel with a group of airship pirates, notably under a female leader, who are working for the Storm King. Please note how a symbol of lawlessness, like pirates, have become willing collaborators to a repressive king. It demonstrates, quite clearly, the natural progression between american style libertarianism and blood and soil fascism that's more apparent now than it has ever been before. Nevertheless, they eventually get to mountain that used to be home to the Hippogryphs only to find it abandoned. As it turns out, they have turned into mermaid-like creatures called seaponies through a kind of magic. The, once again, calls back to the theme of duality, water and air, underground and overground. We get to know two of these so called Seaponies: The queen and the princess, mother and daughter. The daughter is trusting and generous as to where the mother is paranoid and borderline xenophobic. We see two very familiar attitudes. Now, I don't think it's farfetched to say that they represent the political left and the political right. The struggle between the self-serving protecionism of the old elite and the more forward thinking but, at points, overly idealistic internationalism of the young.

In an attempt to trick the Queen, all of the Mane 6 except for Twilight try to socialize with her, while Twilight attempts to sneak in to the throne room to steal the pearl critical for defeating the Storm King. Here we first get a glimpse of Twilight Sparkle as a flawed character, willing to work behind her friends back for her own interest. This leads us to examine Twilight Sparkle critically as a person: She's intelligent and well meaning, sure, but does that justify the means? The larger theme of the series is spelled out right in the title: Friendship is Magic. It's not the individual that's a force for good, true success can only be achieved through cooperation. Twilight betrays this principle in this scene and gets punished harshly for it. She's banned from the Sea Ponies realm, captured by Tempest and her forces and abducted to be taken to the Storm King. In a society such as Equestria the greates mistake one can make is that of acting selfish. This isn't a statement in favour for collectivism, after all time and time again the series has made clear just how important individuality is, it's a statement in favour of altruism.With Twilight captured nothing stand between the Storm King and the power of the four princesses. And this is how even a near perfect society like Equestria can fall: by betraying its core principles because they might seem irrational or inefficient. Because Twilight thought she could sacrifice objective moral standards whos necessity is self evident to a functioning society in favour of what she thought was a greater good Trump, I mean the Storm King, and all of his blatant masculine elitism, could complete his takeover of a formerly free society.

But likewise it would betray the series overall theme of hope in the face of adversity if the film ended on such a dark note. With the help of the friends they made along the way, almost all of them former adversaries like the Pirates or Capper the Cat, the other five ponies are able to take back Canterlot. One could read a message of redemption into this and it's certainly there, but it's hardly all there is to it. There's also a political dimension to it: To make allies is more important than to just defeat your enemies. What's important isn't only raw strength, it's also support. They are able to fend of the Storm King's troops and corner him. The Storm King, in a last attempt to hold onto power summons a tornado to wipe out Canterlot entirely, even betrying his ally Tempest. This might be one of the most poignant messages in the movie: There is no such thing as benevolent dictator. Those who come to power by force will never hesitate to use this force even against their own allies. To trust in the good will of a tyrannical ruler is to lay your own safety into the hands of someone motivated only and exclusively by self interest. At this point Tempest sees the error of her ways and abandons the Storm King, joining forces with the Mane 6. The last piece of the puzzle falls into place, the last remaining ally of the enemy turns onto him. Tempest, the broken mare who had been taken advantage of by the manipulative forces of male power recognizes her own independence and with her help the Storm King is defeated, the captured ponies are freed and the festival which bookends the motion picture can finally resume.

Basically, the movie tells a very condensed version of the fall and resurgence of an utopian society by first callenging and then reasserting the society's core values. It would have been very easy and surely very tempting to take a critical, deconstructivist approach to the series' themes and motives but instead of subverting it demonstrates their universal truth and inherent value. It's a very hopeful and inspiring narrative about triumph over the forces attempting to destroy our society. In this context My Little Pony: The Movie can only be called a great triumph on both a narrative and philosophical level, up there with all time great works such as Tarkovsky's "The Sacrifice", Fellini's "La Strada" or Snyder's "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice". It's a monumental work sure to be remembered for decades to come.

I have to give it a resounding meh. It's okay... Definitely not as good as the EQG movies. And, I'm including Movie Magic in there.

Stupid Cat/fish/lizard town. Parrot pirates. Hippogriffs. If they had concentrated only on ONE of those three things, the movie would have been better. But, since it had all three, it really lacked focus.

But, has everyone forgotten about the Elements of Harmony? It wasn't "princess magic" that had beaten all the previous big bads.

madwarper:
I have to give it a resounding meh. It's okay... Definitely not as good as the EQG movies. And, I'm including Movie Magic in there.

Stupid Cat/fish/lizard town. Parrot pirates. Hippogriffs. If they had concentrated only on ONE of those three things, the movie would have been better. But, since it had all three, it really lacked focus.

But, has everyone forgotten about the Elements of Harmony? It wasn't "princess magic" that had beaten all the previous big bads.

The Elements of Harmony had to be given up to save the tree of harmony. That's where Twilight got her castle. They do have this rainbow magic thing they did to finish off Tyrek but we haven't seen them just pull out a mcguffin like that for the last couple seasons. In one Twilight had to convince someone who evenly matched her to stop fighting since all the outcomes would be bad for everypony and in the other they turned a force the enemy used against it.

I think my favorite piece of criticism comes from Ebert's old website.

Shrieky, garish and incessantly perky, the movie version of the long-running TV show "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" is unlikely to win any new converts. It's an animated film that's really intended for the littlest of little kids, who surely will respond to it on a primal, visceral level. This is probably an ideal first movie-going experience for young viewers in that it's harmless, even though it's terrible.

Johnny Novgorod:

Shrieky, garish and incessantly perky, the movie version of the long-running TV show "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" is unlikely to win any new converts. It's an animated film that's really intended for the littlest of little kids, who surely will respond to it on a primal, visceral level. This is probably an ideal first movie-going experience for young viewers in that it's harmless, even though it's terrible.

Sounds like he was triggered. But then again, its really intended for fans of the show. If you don't know the mane characters, the movie doesn't really do much to show you who they are.

Worgen:

Johnny Novgorod:

Sounds like he was triggered. But then again, its really intended for fans of the show. If you don't know the mane characters, the movie doesn't really do much to show you who they are.

She, and articulating dissent isn't "getting triggered".

Johnny Novgorod:

Worgen:

Johnny Novgorod:

She, and articulating dissent isn't "getting triggered".

You just said Ebert's old website, hints at male. But she does sound kinda triggered, "intended for the littlest of little kids... even though its terrible." Totally triggered, she couldn't take the ponies, they were too much for her.

Am I the only one who got serious 90's Disney vibes from it? The songs were all on point (except that "Sia" bitch, fucking obnoxious voice and the character was so utterly pointless), the jokes were pretty good (minus that "comic relief" rodent looking thing that followed Tempest around), and minus one REALLY out-of-character moment for Twilight the plot and characters were done right (Storm King reminded me a LOT of Disney's Hades). It was a lot better than it had to be, better than it had any right to be.

It also featured one of the very best cartoon villain songs (Villains always get the best songs it seems):

Seriously, tis too good.

demoman_chaos:
Am I the only one who got serious 90's Disney vibes from it? The songs were all on point (except that "Sia" bitch, fucking obnoxious voice and the character was so utterly pointless), the jokes were pretty good (minus that "comic relief" rodent looking thing that followed Tempest around), and minus one REALLY out-of-character moment for Twilight the plot and characters were done right (Storm King reminded me a LOT of Disney's Hades). It was a lot better than it had to be, better than it had any right to be.

Ohhh, duuuude, I have to disagree hard. While you are right about Sia not needing to be in it, her Rainbow song is fuckawesome, no dissing it. And Grubber, he was actually much better than he should have been, I ended up quite liking him, he never had that really obnoxious dumb disney minion vibe going for him, he actually ended up being really fun. I guess that moment was kinda ooc for Twilight, but then again, she has a tendency to over react sooo, yeah. Yeah the Storm King was totally Hades, its one of the reasons I'm really annoyed Discord wasn't in it, can you imagine the last half of the movie just being him and the Storm King trading verbal barbs, that would be great.

Worgen:
Ohhh, duuuude, I have to disagree hard. While you are right about Sia not needing to be in it, her Rainbow song is fuckawesome, no dissing it. And Grubber, he was actually much better than he should have been, I ended up quite liking him, he never had that really obnoxious dumb disney minion vibe going for him, he actually ended up being really fun. I guess that moment was kinda ooc for Twilight, but then again, she has a tendency to over react sooo, yeah. Yeah the Storm King was totally Hades, its one of the reasons I'm really annoyed Discord wasn't in it, can you imagine the last half of the movie just being him and the Storm King trading verbal barbs, that would be great.

I have this thing called taste, and thus the moment she opened her mouth and that distortion effect kicked in I had to fight myself to not shut it down.

Grubber was a pointless 1-note character. He was "obvious sarcastic quip" the character. Pain and Panic were better at that schtick than him.

Overreacting Twilight is one thing, but what she was doing while everyone was singing was WAY out of character, and her sperging out on Pinkie afterwards was pretty OOC as well (And as it happened I knew they did that just to get her alone so she could be Princess Peach'd).

There were SO many characters who were MIA. Starlight made a teeny tiny cameo, but she is just as powerful as Twilight and could have easily laid down a few beat downs. Discord was totally MIA (I can't believe he wouldn't comment on the Storm King playing with the Sun/Moon), as was Shining Armor. Starlight should have been able to escape with Trixie, tell Discord the Storm King is after his waifu, and sent word to Ember to bring some dragons and Steve to bring his Changling horde to swarm the Storm King with all the ass-kickery Glim-Glam has in her friend's list.

demoman_chaos:

Worgen:

I have this thing called taste, and thus the moment she opened her mouth and that distortion effect kicked in I had to fight myself to not shut it down.

Grubber was a pointless 1-note character. He was "obvious sarcastic quip" the character. Pain and Panic were better at that schtick than him.

Overreacting Twilight is one thing, but what she was doing while everyone was singing was WAY out of character, and her sperging out on Pinkie afterwards was pretty OOC as well (And as it happened I knew they did that just to get her alone so she could be Princess Peach'd).

There were SO many characters who were MIA. Starlight made a teeny tiny cameo, but she is just as powerful as Twilight and could have easily laid down a few beat downs. Discord was totally MIA (I can't believe he wouldn't comment on the Storm King playing with the Sun/Moon), as was Shining Armor. Starlight should have been able to escape with Trixie, tell Discord the Storm King is after his waifu, and sent word to Ember to bring some dragons and Steve to bring his Changling horde to swarm the Storm King with all the ass-kickery Glim-Glam has in her friend's list.

I really want to say you lack taste but your enjoyment of the movie proves otherwise. Mayhaps your taste in music is lacking. Pretty much all villainous sidekicks are pointless, the difference between Grubber and the rest is that Grubber wasn't annoying, most of the disney type ones are annoying. I mean look when this movie was released, would you rather him have been a minion brand minion? Hes also better than Pain and Panic, he doesn't fuck up the villains plan at all, he is actually useful.

Ehh, as I said, kinda ooc but at the same time, not that bad. I mean we did just see her go off on someone who was hovering over her shoulder on an airship.

The show has always been inconsistent with how powerful magic is. Like we see Starlight going hoof to hoof with Twilight in a magic street fight with Twilight, then in the next season we see Steve's brother just capture her in a bag pretty easily. But yeah, I do wish they did more with the existing cast and races. I was kinda hoping the griffins would show up and the royal guard were totally mia.

Worgen:
I really want to say you lack taste but your enjoyment of the movie proves otherwise. Mayhaps your taste in music is lacking. Pretty much all villainous sidekicks are pointless, the difference between Grubber and the rest is that Grubber wasn't annoying, most of the disney type ones are annoying. I mean look when this movie was released, would you rather him have been a minion brand minion? Hes also better than Pain and Panic, he doesn't fuck up the villains plan at all, he is actually useful.

Ehh, as I said, kinda ooc but at the same time, not that bad. I mean we did just see her go off on someone who was hovering over her shoulder on an airship.

The show has always been inconsistent with how powerful magic is. Like we see Starlight going hoof to hoof with Twilight in a magic street fight with Twilight, then in the next season we see Steve's brother just capture her in a bag pretty easily. But yeah, I do wish they did more with the existing cast and races. I was kinda hoping the griffins would show up and the royal guard were totally mia.

Tis a nice Catch-22 isn't it?
My taste in music is like my avatar, Perfect. That scene where Rarity somehow pulls an epic metal riff out of a 3 string acoustic made my horn feel funny.

Grubber was quite annoying. His "jokes" were just plain awful, and this is coming from someone who's jokes are all like Cheetoh's (They're DANGEROUSLY Cheesy). He certainly could have been worse, but could have been a lot better and could have just been done without (and the screentime wasted on him/Sia could have been used for more Storm King).

She went off on that goober because she was pissed at losing her vacation and missing the one thing she wanted to see. Everyone gets pissy at the end of a day made of shit.

One thing that really bothers me is that somehow despite being the closest things to gods in the show's universe Cely/Luna are just so damn USELESS! There isn't a single crisis they've solved on their own (even back in the days of yore they had to use cheat items to win). You'd think they could have just given Tempest and her crew a blast of "Fuck You" and sent them packing.

Two points:

-If someone doesn't like something, there doesn't have to be some kind of bias/prejudice to account for it. Maybe the Ebert reviewer just didn't like the film? I mean, I like MLP, but I'm fine with many people not liking it.

-Open Up Your Eyes? Seriously? Bah, Time to be Awesome and One Small Thing are much better. :p

demoman_chaos:

Worgen:

Tis a nice Catch-22 isn't it?
My taste in music is like my avatar, Perfect. That scene where Rarity somehow pulls an epic metal riff out of a 3 string acoustic made my horn feel funny.

Grubber was quite annoying. His "jokes" were just plain awful, and this is coming from someone who's jokes are all like Cheetoh's (They're DANGEROUSLY Cheesy). He certainly could have been worse, but could have been a lot better and could have just been done without (and the screentime wasted on him/Sia could have been used for more Storm King).

She went off on that goober because she was pissed at losing her vacation and missing the one thing she wanted to see. Everyone gets pissy at the end of a day made of shit.

One thing that really bothers me is that somehow despite being the closest things to gods in the show's universe Cely/Luna are just so damn USELESS! There isn't a single crisis they've solved on their own (even back in the days of yore they had to use cheat items to win). You'd think they could have just given Tempest and her crew a blast of "Fuck You" and sent them packing.

Oh please, we all know how perfect cell is.

Yeah Rarity shredding was fucken awesome. Then we got her punk look too, so great.

Ahh, I think I see the problem, Grubber is too high brow for you.

I hate how the show has no idea what to do with Celestia. Luna at least got some great character building episodes but Celestia has almost nothing. There is things she has done, she saved Twilight from Discord when she got turned, she broke the want it need it spell when Twilight was going kinda nuts, and she helped Twilight ascend. They have missed so many opportunities to really do something with her, like in the alt universes they could have shown her beating Tirek but the world ended up a wasteland, or in one of the story episodes they could be doing stories about her past. The problem with her is that if shes effective then the question becomes, why not just go to Celestia, which at this point probably isn't a possibility since we have had so many seasons without her being able to do anything. Shes a mother character type but kind of one of those overly pure ones, the kind that are 'too good for this world' meaning perfect but never do anything and often only existing as the concept of a mother in someones memory since they got killed of when the character was young.

Worgen:
[-snip-]
Yeah Rarity shredding was fucken awesome. Then we got her punk look too, so great.

I hate how the show has no idea what to do with Celestia. Luna at least got some great character building episodes but Celestia has almost nothing. There is things she has done, she saved Twilight from Discord when she got turned, she broke the want it need it spell when Twilight was going kinda nuts, and she helped Twilight ascend. They have missed so many opportunities to really do something with her, like in the alt universes they could have shown her beating Tirek but the world ended up a wasteland, or in one of the story episodes they could be doing stories about her past. The problem with her is that if shes effective then the question becomes, why not just go to Celestia, which at this point probably isn't a possibility since we have had so many seasons without her being able to do anything. Shes a mother character type but kind of one of those overly pure ones, the kind that are 'too good for this world' meaning perfect but never do anything and often only existing as the concept of a mother in someones memory since they got killed of when the character was young.

You obviously haven't seen his Perfect jawline with your own eyes. So handsome.

Punk Rarity made me feel.... things.... and may have been the tipping point to put her on top of the Best Waifu chart (though Tempest is top-tier Waifu as well).

No, his "jokes" were beneath even me. I saw them coming, and even I with my horribly low standards (My jokes are like a Nebraska man's diet, nothing but corn) I wouldn't have used those lines.

Speaking of Tirek, why they crap haven't they done the Fusion Dance thing and pumped Twiggles full of their magic to kick the ass of the problem of the week? Hell imagine if the Bad-Ass-With-A-Fine-Ass Tempest was given that kind of power, she'd have straight up bodied Tirek in a fight more one sided than SSJB Goku v Jiren.

Saw it today. it was... ok i guess. i liked that almost every poney made an appearance in the first 10 minutes ( i remeber having see cheese sandwich somewhere in the background) but is it just me or once they fall off the bridge after the firt encounter with tempest, the animation seems to be a little bit lower quality ?

but my kids just had a great time, they absolutely loved it if the voices in theatre wasnt the same than the ones on TV.

demoman_chaos:

Worgen:
[-snip-]

You obviously haven't seen his Perfect jawline with your own eyes. So handsome.

Punk Rarity made me feel.... things.... and may have been the tipping point to put her on top of the Best Waifu chart (though Tempest is top-tier Waifu as well).

No, his "jokes" were beneath even me. I saw them coming, and even I with my horribly low standards (My jokes are like a Nebraska man's diet, nothing but corn) I wouldn't have used those lines.

Speaking of Tirek, why they crap haven't they done the Fusion Dance thing and pumped Twiggles full of their magic to kick the ass of the problem of the week? Hell imagine if the Bad-Ass-With-A-Fine-Ass Tempest was given that kind of power, she'd have straight up bodied Tirek in a fight more one sided than SSJB Goku v Jiren.

Fish man got DROOOOPED!

They kinda did that, Twilight got all the princess power and had a big drag out fight with him. Which I'm sure you remember. I would prefer a clever fight like the one between Twilight and Starlight than just a power fight.

cathou:
Saw it today. it was... ok i guess. i liked that almost every poney made an appearance in the first 10 minutes ( i remeber having see cheese sandwich somewhere in the background) but is it just me or once they fall off the bridge after the firt encounter with tempest, the animation seems to be a little bit lower quality ?

but my kids just had a great time, they absolutely loved it if the voices in theatre wasnt the same than the ones on TV.

I don't remember the animation really dropping, but then again I keep thinking back to one of my favorite set pieces with the wind mill blades coming off and them going for a ride on them and how awesome that was. Next time I see it I'll keep an eye out for that.

Worgen:
[-snip-]
Fish man got DROOOOPED!

They kinda did that, Twilight got all the princess power and had a big drag out fight with him. Which I'm sure you remember. I would prefer a clever fight like the one between Twilight and Starlight than just a power fight.

I noticed you cited the only two where he didn't just instantly own whoever came after him, like this one:

The Tirek thing is where I got the idea you hornswaggling hornswaggler. If they would have just Fusion Danced when Tempest came out New Waifu would have been beaten well before there was ever a problem.

demoman_chaos:

Worgen:
[-snip-]
Fish man got DROOOOPED!

I noticed you cited the only two where he didn't just instantly own whoever came after him, like this one:

The Tirek thing is where I got the idea you hornswaggling hornswaggler. If they would have just Fusion Danced when Tempest came out New Waifu would have been beaten well before there was ever a problem.

Well, duh, showing him win doesn't prove his perfectness is wrong.

Really if they were willing to let Celestia or Luna do anything then Tempest would have been beaten. Keep in mind we already know that Cadance knows her way around a fight, we saw her fight the tetsilworm.

Worgen:

cathou:

I don't remember the animation really dropping, but then again I keep thinking back to one of my favorite set pieces with the wind mill blades coming off and them going for a ride on them and how awesome that was. Next time I see it I'll keep an eye out for that.

it's the eyes that keep bothering me. in the show, and by looking in google images i can confirm that, their eyes is suppose to be one big black pupil, then a circle of color with 2 or 3 shades of color and two or three white dots. however in the movie, they added small white dots in the colored section of their eyes, two or three very small dots in each shade section. this however is much more visible in the first en minutes of the film, and often they didnt add it later. that and i think caper lack detail in his animation. he feel more 2d cartoon than all the other caracters. that's what make me think the animation dropped after the first 10 minutes, which is basically the section that is in the trailer. like if they worked it better because they were using it in the trailers

Yeah I saw it and its pretty terrible.
First off the animation is awful. It looks like an early Gamecube cut scene, or something that TellTale would do. That fist scene where we're flying into Canterlot and all the ponies are awkwardly 3D against a flat backdrop looked awful. Truly should have been cut.
Lip sync is completely off. I was told the movie was animated in Russian and then dubbed over, which might explain it. Still, completely threw me out of the experience when the mouth is about a half second faster than the voice.
Oh for the days of a good Flash Animation...

The jokes were awful. For one there's a laugh pause after every joke. Literally. Twilight smiles awkwardly [pause] Spike: Err...no [pause]
Also there's a dick joke. In a My Little Pony movie. A dick joke. Oh and a smelly butt joke! Lets not forget the classic MLP butt joke!

Story Wise its a subpar episode where again every solution is just asking nice, singing a song and boom, decades of pain and resentment are gone and everyone is friends. Which compared to the EQG movies and the show's season finales, its pretty weak.

3/10, would rather have seen a new EQG movie

cathou:

Worgen:

cathou:

it's the eyes that keep bothering me. in the show, and by looking in google images i can confirm that, their eyes is suppose to be one big black pupil, then a circle of color with 2 or 3 shades of color and two or three white dots. however in the movie, they added small white dots in the colored section of their eyes, two or three very small dots in each shade section. this however is much more visible in the first en minutes of the film, and often they didnt add it later. that and i think caper lack detail in his animation. he feel more 2d cartoon than all the other caracters. that's what make me think the animation dropped after the first 10 minutes, which is basically the section that is in the trailer. like if they worked it better because they were using it in the trailers

I'm not seeing it, can you link some images that show that? I do think that the movie designs are weaker than the show. As I said before, it feels like they tried to make the ponies shorter for the movie since they are just so much smaller than all the other characters. But that doesn't have to do with the animation.

Worgen:

cathou:

Worgen:

I'm not seeing it, can you link some images that show that? I do think that the movie designs are weaker than the show. As I said before, it feels like they tried to make the ponies shorter for the movie since they are just so much smaller than all the other characters. But that doesn't have to do with the animation.

here's from the movie :

look at the small white dots like if there star in her eyes

it's a little bit more evident in the original link
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/File:Twilight%27s_movie_crown_cropped_MLPTM.png

or here, but i'm not sure if it's really from the movie

now look, this is from the show. her eyes are flat colors

but it was not always there. on big screen it was pretty evident.

cathou:

Worgen:

cathou:

here's from the movie :

look at the small white dots like if there star in her eyes

it's a little bit more evident in the original link

or here, but i'm not sure if it's really from the movie

now look, this is from the show. her eyes are flat colors

but it was not always there. on big screen it was pretty evident.

I mean, yeah I see the sparkle things in the mane cast's eyes but I'm not finding any shots without them. Then again its kinda hard to make them out in most of the screens I see that aren't from the trailers, mostly cause the images are kinda small. Does that really signify a dip in quality though?

Authorities should monitor the cinemas. Anyone over the age of 12 attending this film should be added to a watch list.

I will never see this movie.

bjj hero:
Authorities should monitor the cinemas. Anyone over the age of 12 attending this film should be added to a watch list.

2011 called. They want their dank meme back.

Silentpony:

bjj hero:

2011 called. They want their dank meme back.

Don't be mean, hes just trying to make sure no one knows that he really loves Fluttershy. It's ok, Bj hero, we won't make fun of you for your love of ponies, you're safe here.

I am very keen to see it, but it isn't out until November in Australia sadly :(

Ok I apologies for kinda nerco this thread per say but the film came out yesterday in the UK.

Despite of my rant and flaw on the movies, it was a decent watch!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here