Star Wars 8 Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I guess someone's gotta bring it up.

Just watched it. I like it.

Keep in mind that I view Star Wars as basically popcorn movie fodder now, though. I'm expecting big, pretty and thrilling, and it looks like thats what it will deliver.

I'm kind of disappointed they're baiting Rey/Kylo switching sides, but I'm really digging Old, Scared and Tired Luke. He does NOT look like he's happy to see Rey, happy to be found, or happy in general.

I'm also disappointed we didn't get to see Luke do something more awesome, but I guess that's asking a bit much from a trailer. I'm still hoping Luke gets his 'Vader' moment like they had in Rogue One.

What's everyone else think?

He has to kill his mother now too? Lol.

I guess the trailer was fine. Nice visuals. I do wanna see it.

The little critter is too cute. Ugh. It looks so out of place. Like a toy.

And of course it has walkers.

Ezekiel:
He's has to kill his mother now too? Lol.

Considering real life events, it would be convenient.

Ezekiel:

And of course it has walkers.

Walkers with mutton chops.

DefunctTheory:

Keep in mind that I view Star Wars as basically popcorn movie fodder now,

Has Star Wars ever not been that?

I'm not dissing it, but Star Wars has always primarily been a space fantasy adventure series with very broad themes of good vs. evil and heroes triumphing over villains. And when it wasn't that (e.g. the prequels), the reception was mixed.

Anyway, I can't really comment too much on the trailer. Or, I could, but I don't feel like it, since the new films have been pretty average so far. That said, at the least, it doesn't seem to be ripping off Empire Strikes Back too much, so there is that.

Hawki:

DefunctTheory:

Well, way back when, they were great tech demos.

I only said that because there seems to be a lot of people running around, getting angry that the new Star Wars movie aren't displacing Shakespeare. If I was expecting that, I'd be pissed too, but if you're just looking for a loud, fun movie, they're pretty damn good, the cluttered first hour of Rogue One notwithstanding.

I am...

...surprisingly not hyped...

I mean I've always considered myself a fan of Star Wars, but for some reason I see this trailer and my only feeling is an overwhelming "Meh". I'm not even sure why...

I've got to admit the trailer really didn't do anything for me. It's a big combination of not being terribly impressed by The Force Awakens, not giving a toss about any of the characters in the new trilogy and a general apathy to all the references and callbacks. I mean, I'm still going to go and see it; I just hope it does end up turning out to be great.

Chewbacca looks weird in this, like waaay too well groomed, he looks fake. I also want that stupid animal to fucking die, its fucking toy fodder. I thought RLM was messing around when they showed that on their nerd crew parody.

The shot of Carrie Fisher on the ship was weird too, it really made her nose look bulbous. I know people's faces change as they get older, but that didn't stick out at all in the last movie.

Luke is now the Yoda stand in, which is fine. It will be fun to see him take on the role of a teacher after he failed with Kylo.

The walker set piece irritates me a ton. They are just copying the visuals from the Hoth battle. DO SOMETHING NEW FFS. They cant pull another "Force Awakens". While it does look like they are trying to do their own thing, the fact that it features so prominently in the advertising speaks to a lack of confidence in their film's merits as a new star wars.

Finn barely sows up in the trailer yet again. He gets to fight Captain Phasma, yay? Po features more prominently. Seems a bit strange that they are giving Boyega's character the cold shoulder. I am left wondering what they are going to do with his character?

I was kinda excited for this movie but the trailer has deflated a lot of it for me. The movie will definitely be entertaining regardless, it will be more interesting to look at the audience reception this time around.

That...sure is a star wars movie trailer, no doubt about it!

It's hard to judge a film by its' trailer, I feel the final experience will fair better than a short snippet of all the exciting explosions and fan service that marketing deemed necessary here. Not that it's bad, it isn't, it's just I've seen a lot of trailers by now and the high-budget ones seek to throw a net as wide as possible, which tends to avoid showing the more interesting, unique or intimate aspects of any film.

DefunctTheory:

Well, way back when, they were great tech demos.

I only said that because there seems to be a lot of people running around, getting angry that the new Star Wars movie aren't displacing Shakespeare. If I was expecting that, I'd be pissed too, but if you're just looking for a loud, fun movie, they're pretty damn good, the cluttered first hour of Rogue One notwithstanding.

I believe the official term for such people is 'nostalgia-blinded fanboys' nowadays. :p

EdityEnquirey: Why is Luke expected to be jaded and hating of the force? Did he denounce it for good in the original trilogy?

EscapeGoat:
I've got to admit the trailer really didn't do anything for me. It's a big combination of not being terribly impressed by The Force Awakens, not giving a toss about any of the characters in the new trilogy and a general apathy to all the references and callbacks. I mean, I'm still going to go and see it; I just hope it does end up turning out to be great.

Wow, this. I didn't enjoy The Force Awakens and I really can't bring myself to muster up any interest in Rey or Finn. I was hoping we might get some of plucky, positive Luke but the trailer seems to have Hamill exclusively in grim and jaded mode. But hey, it is just a trailer, and they're going to show us exactly what they want to. I do hope it ends up being good, I'm just staying as far away from the hype train as possible.

Edit: A big issue for me is Adam Driver as Kylo Ren. I don't see how I'm supposed to find this guy threatening after he was handily defeated by a complete amateur in the first movie. Apparently all he can manage to do is murder senior citizens and throw temper tantrums. In my opinion it was a mistake taking him out of the mask so early on. Vader was such an imposing figure because he was a tall and broad faceless malevolence. Adam Driver looks like a strong wind could push him over and that "scar" on his face looks like a stick on from Hot Topic.

Ezekiel:
He has to kill his mother now too? Lol.

Keep in mind that Kylo is basically Jacen from the Expanded Universe, and he went through the exact same thing. Just another reason why I wish they had just used the same name.
And Rey is pretty much Jaina. All we need to find out is that--surprise--they're brother and sister and there you go.

Pretty sure that ending shot is a deliberate mislead, and if it's not...if Rey is seriously considering joining these people, then "disappointed" doesn't begin to cover it. Keep in mind, she saw Kylo kill Han right in front of her, and she is fully aware that The First Order murdered billions of people in the blink of an eye.

Huh.

Gotta say, I'm impressed. That was cool.

DefunctTheory:

I'm kind of disappointed they're baiting Rey/Kylo switching sides...

I've speculated that they were going to do something like that.

It's been pretty clear from the first movie that Kylo is going to get some kind of arc in which he at least attempts a redemption. I'd be surprised if they have Rey go full darkside though. I mean, I'd be impressed if they had the balls to do it, but I don't see it happening.

JUMBO PALACE:
Edit: A big issue for me is Adam Driver as Kylo Ren. I don't see how I'm supposed to find this guy threatening after he was handily defeated by a complete amateur in the first movie.

You're not supposed to find him intimidating.

His whole thing is trying to live up to Vader despite being woefully unsuited to it on multiple levels. (Presumably he eventually finds out that Vader wasn't quite what he thinks and/or realized that that isn't exactly something you want to be.)

They're being a bit meta with it. After all, if you're making a new Star Wars series how do you fill the shoes of literally one of the most iconic villains in the history of cinema and pop culture? Answer: you don't, and then you make the failure to fill those shoes the basis of the character.

"The new kid is nowhere near as good as Darth Vader."
"That's the point!"

Whether or not you consider that clever is up to you.

Hawki:

DefunctTheory:

I'm not dissing it, but Star Wars has always primarily been a space fantasy adventure series with very broad themes of good vs. evil and heroes triumphing over villains. And when it wasn't that (e.g. the prequels), the reception was mixed.

Anyway, I can't really comment too much on the trailer. Or, I could, but I don't feel like it, since the new films have been pretty average so far. That said, at the least, it doesn't seem to be ripping off Empire Strikes Back too much, so there is that.

I think a good popcorn movie is one that you have fun watching but never really think about it again afterwards. The first 2 Star Wars movies created a fun cinematic universe, reached into our psyches to tap archetypal notions of good, evil and the hero's journey. My buddy, a bigger SW nut than me can talk about those first two movies for hours 30 years later. The higher they climb, the bigger the fall.

We expect more than a fun, forgettable experience from Star Wars and we're not getting it. The reboot is completely on a bad foundation from the git-go. I watched the Skywalker tale through 6 freaking movies and episode 7? Makes it all pointless. If those movies were pointless, what is the point of watching these new releases?

There was NO progress at all. Which is what the money people wanted. That way, Force Awakens was basically A New Hope warmed over. But it kills fantasy.

I think it was a HISHE on youtube: why doesn't "the resistance" have their own, bigger, better Death Star to take out the bad guys (can't even recall their new name, they are that dull, stupid and pointless). They had defeated the Empire and had the same decades to build up their own super weapon.

So I wanna see what happens. As absurd as I find it. But they really have messed up horribly.

Zhukov:

JUMBO PALACE:
snip

You're not supposed to find him intimidating.

His whole thing is trying to live up to Vader despite being woefully unsuited to it on multiple levels. (Presumably he eventually finds out that Vader wasn't quite what he thinks and/or realized that that isn't exactly something you want to be.)

They're being a bit meta with it. After all, if you're making a new Star Wars series how do you fill the shoes of literally one of the most iconic villains in the history of cinema and pop culture? Answer: you don't, and then you make the failure to fill those shoes the basis of the character.

"The new kid is nowhere near as good as Darth Vader."
"That's the point!"

Whether or not you consider that clever is up to you.

I understand what you're saying. The guy clearly has an inferiority complex and desperately wants to be as good at being evil as his grandpa was (or at least how much Kylo thinks he was). I just don't agree that this was the best approach in addressing the shadow cast by Vader. Was Kylo Ren ever going to live up to the legendary Vader? No, and I'm sure Disney knew that. But by making him so inadequate in my opinion it only highlights even more how ineffectual he is as an antagonist. Still, we've got two movies to go so perhaps with a little more character development Kylo will grow on me.

Xsjadoblayde:

EdityEnquirey: Why is Luke expected to be jaded and hating of the force? Did he denounce it for good in the original trilogy?

We don't know yet what caused it or quite exactly when. The trailers seem to be hinting at some great failure he engaged in sometime after Episode 6- probably the training of other Jedi who went to the dark side (perhaps Kylo and the "Knights of Ren" mentioned in TFA?). Whatever it was, it was traumatic enough to drive him away and largely forsake the Force.

So the Millennium Falcon is chased in an asteroid belt, there's an ATAT assault on a rebel world of flat white, a scene where Leia watches a heavy metal door slowly close, Rey goes to confront the big bad and loses, and Oh MY! Its that a helmeted Bounty Hunter going after the main man of the last movie?! I think it is!

Who the fuck are we kidding?! They just made Empire again.

Silentpony:
So the Millennium Falcon is chased in an asteroid belt, there's an ATAT assault on a rebel world of flat white, a scene where Leia watches a heavy metal door slowly close, Rey goes to confront the big bad and loses, and Oh MY! Its that a helmeted Bounty Hunter going after the main man of the last movie?! I think it is!

This needs to be posted again.

Ezekiel:

Silentpony:

This needs to be posted again.

I pretty much got The Empire Strike Back sort of vibe mainly cos they were showing the First Order and them winning!

Still I kinda interesting now they going with their own material then to retrace the original triliogy.

The prequels improved with each film, I just hope the same is for this trilogy. But reading the posts...hm.

Dansen:
Finn barely sows up in the trailer yet again. He gets to fight Captain Phasma, yay? Po features more prominently. Seems a bit strange that they are giving Boyega's character the cold shoulder. I am left wondering what they are going to do with his character?

Honestly, I rather expect that he's going be Force Sensitive himself (albeit with less raw power than Ben or Rey), though I expect that won't be revealed until Episode X.

Here's to another 2 years of Darths&Droids!

Asita:

Dansen:

Honestly, I rather expect that he's going be Force Sensitive himself (albeit with less raw power than Ben or Rey), though I expect that won't be revealed until Episode X.

They already revealed it when he activated a lightsaber. Only Force sensitive people can activate them.

Silentpony:

They already revealed it when he activated a lightsaber. Only Force sensitive people can activate them.

If that was ever canon, I really doubt it still is.

EDIT: In fact, I'm fairly certain Grievous was explicitly stated to have almost no Force Sensitivity (No more than your average sentient being). And then there was the Mandalorian dude from The Clone Wars with his Dark Saber.

Silentpony:

Asita:

Dansen:

I don't know where that particular myth came from. They're activated by a simple switch or button. They aren't gene locked. Anyone can use a lightsaber. Grievous, Han Solo, Boba Fett, Pre Viszla (CGI Clone Wars series), Cad Bane (Also from the Clone Wars), Anja Gallandro (Young Jedi Knights) and even a random thief are shown using them, and none of them were Force Sensitive (speculation about Han notwithstanding). All tiers of 'classic' canon showed this.

It's not that non-Force sensitives can't activate or use lightsabers, it's that lightsabers suck as weapons for non-Force sensitives, largely because most other people would be using blasters. Without the Force to predict blaster fire, it's a case of bringing a sword to a gun fight.

I never got to care for any of the new characters. Same with Rogue One. I'm watching these movies with a sense of dettachment.

Johnny Novgorod:
I never got to care for any of the new characters.

Me neither. I wish they had just skipped to a point like a century after the Original Trilogy, with all but a select few of the old characters dead and solely entirely new characters, with the old ones mentioned in passing if at all. Let's get a cast of completely new characters we can get attached to, ones who can't and thus don't have to ride off the coattails of the old characters we know and love in order to have any value whatsoever. The Force Awakens and Rogue One relied far too much upon nostalgia baiting to reel in the audience, and I'm hoping they'll do better soon.

I'm surprisingly excited. The first trailer didn't do much for me, but this one hits the right notes. Him potentially killing his mother as well adds some emotional weight, however I suspect there has been a bit of creative editing in the trailer (especially the end). I think it would be awesome if they did the "double turn" to use wrestling parlance, where Rey goes to the dark side and Ren to the light.

I'm even psyched by the Porg. I know it's just a cute merchandising tool, but unfortunately it's worked. It's just so adorable!

Programmed_For_Damage:

I'm even psyched by the Porg. I know it's just a cute merchandising tool, but unfortunately it's worked. It's just so adorable!

No, that's not a cute marketing tool. This is a cute marketing tool.

There's an evil BB-8 (BB-9E)! I want one!

I liked it. I think the very end of the trailer is them having fun with editing.

I would love it if they did something super radical with the story, like have a main character turn evil or something.

But we all know that its easier and more profit friendly to play it safe, audiences are going to see the movie anyway. Don't make waves.

I'm gonna love it no matter what, I'm one of those cancerous fans.

It was okay.
I never expected 'greatness' from the new trilogy, but at least TFA was a FUN romp that was worth watching more than once.

Silentpony:

Um, Han briefly uses Luke's lightsaber in Empire. Grievous is another example of technology compensating for lack of Force ability.

DefunctTheory:

There's an evil BB-8 (BB-9E)! I want one!

Careful now. I think marketing's got you by the, ahem, balls.

Considering the previous one was a rehash of the first trilogy I'll put my money that:
1) Ray loses her arm.
2) The film will have a darker tone with a downer ending. Also Ray spending most of it with Obi Wan and Finn and that other guy doing most of the work.
3) The end of the film will feature Kylo Ren pulling a Avatar 3rd season finale Zuko. (to get the downer ending)

Also what's up with Chrome stormtrooper, wasn't she trapped on a room in a planet that exploded? How the heck you survive that?

A really well made trailer. Now I'm going to forget it so I don't have any hopes up when actually seeing the movie.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here