So Neogaf is crashing and burning...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Pseudonym:
I've never been on neogaf. Was there anything special about it or was it just some message board where people talked about games and stuff?

It was just a really popular message board for talking about games, and it went back a long time as far as internet communities go. It was also somewhat unique in that it did not let you just sign up and start posting. You had to use a non-free email address (something like Gmail or Hotmail wouldn't work) and be manually accepted when you signed up. In my case, it took over a month for me to be accepted after signing up, although I pretty much never used it after I was.

Is there anyone that ISN'T happy that NeoGAF is finished? lol

Although there is one large casualty from all this that I think people are overlooking. The site database, and thus, all those years of posts on that site are now gone.

NeoGAF? I guess they'd better change the name to NeoGAFFE!

3 pages in and I can't believe nobody's made that joke yet!

shrekfan246:

altnameJag:

crimson5pheonix:
Male feminist ally turns out to be big into sexual assault and/or a pedophile? Who could have guessed? I mean, other than people with pattern recognition.

Fixed that for you. The anti-fems don't have the best records out there either. It truly is a male problem.

I have yet to see compelling evidence that Evilore was a "feminist ally" anyway, other than referencing all of the memes that NeoGAF is an "SJW hivemind" (which, as I mentioned elsewhere last night, The Escapist is accused of being as well).

And here comes the revision... A+ for gymnastics.

C14N:

The Lunatic:
Why is it there's always something weird and scummy about these people?

I'm not speaking for "Progressives" as a whole, and I don't mean to hate on the movement.

But, there seriously seems to be a trend of people claiming to be progressive and open to women's movements, and then just turning out to be creepy scumbags who were only interested in it to get with women, and sometimes commit harassment and other things like that.

I know there's always going to be some bad eggs, but, it's seemingly unfortunately common and it really does make everyone else look bad.

I think these kinds of people just do not see the contradiction in what they're doing. They're somehow able to seperate what they're actually doing from their stated (and possibly sincere) beliefs. Honestly, I'm just glad so many dudes are getting named and shamed for this recently. Just this year just off the top of my head we've got Weinstein, Bill O'Reilly, Anthony Weiner and Eric Bolling and they've all actually suffered from it, whereas this stuff used to just get swept under the rug or quietly accepted as "boys will be boys". It's just a shame people didn't start taking it so seriously until after Trump was elected.

Boys will be boys is by definition restricted to boys. I don't think a 65 year old Weiner fits that Bill.

It looks like the only people that are sad that gaf is gone are game journalists.

Chaosian:

Gibbagobba:
Looks like they've found a new home:

What could possibly go wrong?

Where is that? I don't recognize anything.

Giant Bomb.

Good riddance.

That place was entertaining until 2013-2014 and then it went to shit. I remember reading and laughing at the 2011 Wii U Speculation threads, but the last time I read anything funny there was the glorious 2016 election meltdown.

Them fleeing to GiantBomb doesn't surprise me, Brad Shoemaker was a NG user and there was always a thread for every podcast with an avid fanbase. Also, GB's forums have a taste of that bittersweet fascist moderation that prevailed in NeoGAF.

I hope Tyler Malka is proud. Male feminists/virtue signalers, always suspect them.

altnameJag:

So much for being an echo chamber, not that it matters.

Not sure why you would think echo chambers are immune/resistant to this sort of thing. In fact, since an echo chamber inherently gets more extreme as time passes, regardless of what type of echo chamber it is, it is more prone to this sort of thing, not less.

Arnoxthe1:
Although there is one large casualty from all this that I think people are overlooking. The site database, and thus, all those years of posts on that site are now gone.

This is something I've been thinking of recently. When this place goes, where will all of the things that were worth archiving going to go? There has been a lot of garbage posted but also a lot of insightful thought on game design and story writing that I think would be a shame to lose.

Redlin5:
This is something I've been thinking of recently. When this place goes, where will all of the things that were worth archiving going to go? There has been a lot of garbage posted but also a lot of insightful thought on game design and story writing that I think would be a shame to lose.

The sad truth is, unless someone who has access to the database makes it public somehow, we're screwed.

Arnoxthe1:

Redlin5:

The sad truth is, unless someone who has access to the database makes it public somehow, we're screwed.

I shall make inquires but I suspect you're right. Outside of what The Wayback Machine has incidentally recorded, I'm sure there are no plans by the people with the final keys to keep user-content on ice.

The Lunatic:

I'm not speaking for "Progressives" as a whole, and I don't mean to hate on the movement.

But, there seriously seems to be a trend of people claiming to be progressive and open to women's movements, and then just turning out to be creepy scumbags who were only interested in it to get with women, and sometimes commit harassment and other things like that.

I know there's always going to be some bad eggs, but, it's seemingly unfortunately common and it really does make everyone else look bad.

That's how predators operate. They adapt, learn new ways to disguise themselves to insinuate and manipulate. The cause of women's rights has gained some steam recently, or at least a lot of press, so some of these predatory shitbags have taken that as an opportunity to clothe themselves in a friendly guise and get closer to new victims.

There will always be a new social cause that can be infiltrated by people who want to seem to be decent folks just so they can prey on the community. It's sickening, and it's ubiquitous.

Redlin5:

Arnoxthe1:

Redlin5:

I shall make inquires but I suspect you're right. Outside of what The Wayback Machine has incidentally recorded, I'm sure there are no plans by the people with the final keys to keep user-content on ice.

It'd be nice if there was a way to just archive an entire forum, and make it easy to navigate. I don't think Wayback Machine supports that kind of thing though :( Heck it's hard enough to find old threads using the site itself sometimes since the forums only go back 20 pages and the search bar can be kind of finicky sometimes even if you know what you are looking for.

Derekloffin:

altnameJag:

Not sure why you would think echo chambers are immune/resistant to this sort of thing. In fact, since an echo chamber inherently gets more extreme as time passes, regardless of what type of echo chamber it is, it is more prone to this sort of thing, not less.

...isn't that a good th8ng in cases like this? Eating one of their own instead of dismissing the terrible shit they did in the name of loyalty?

Redlin5:

Arnoxthe1:

That's just information hording. Even if every post that was ever made on the escapist forms was saved somewhere there's no one in the world who would ever read it, therefore making it pointless to save.

It's like those people who save old packaging and newspapers from 10 years ago because "hey, it might be useful some day." It won't be, it's clutter, and even if it ever became useful at some point you'd still never find what you were looking for because of all the crap you've stored. Better to just let it all go.

C14N:

The Lunatic:

I think these kinds of people just do not see the contradiction in what they're doing. They're somehow able to seperate what they're actually doing from their stated (and possibly sincere) beliefs. Honestly, I'm just glad so many dudes are getting named and shamed for this recently. Just this year just off the top of my head we've got Weinstein, Bill O'Reilly, Anthony Weiner and Eric Bolling and they've all actually suffered from it, whereas this stuff used to just get swept under the rug or quietly accepted as "boys will be boys". It's just a shame people didn't start taking it so seriously until after Trump was elected.

You're actually pretty much right. Projection as its used in behavioral studies doesn't necessarily mean assuming that since you like cake everyone likes cake, its more like attributing emotions/beliefs/behaviors you have to exterior forces, and foisting blame onto the outer demons rather than accepting flaws in yourself.

If you've ever wondered how a dude can live in NA for years, go to strip clubs, eat junk food, and oogle women with everyone else but STILL be convinced they are sinless and right relative to the person they went to the strip club with - projection is your answer.

Think of it like special pleading except applied to yourself and your beliefs.
"Its okay when my mom doesn't clean up after the dog because she has a bad back and her hands hurt, but when THAT old lady doesn't do it, its just because she's morally reprehensible."

"I have these urges and these sins, but it can't be my fault - I'm a good person since Jesus washes my feet/I'm a feminist voice. It must be society at large corrupting me. I bet all men feel these urges, and since they are weaker than me they must all be guilty and far moreso than I could be."

The major sticking point vs what you mentioned is that they THINK their beliefs are sincere (hence the insistence and acting upon of Jesus/feminist/whatever ideals), but those beliefs are only sincere when it comes to their neighbor, not themselves. They would happily introduce you to this or that literature, or invite you to these or those betterment seminars, but they would never attend themselves. They don't need to - they're already a good person.

You can expand it out as much as you want, but in the end its basically just a mental trick people use to make sure they don't have to face their own flaws or accept that they may have betrayed a set of ideals that they have fashioned into a part of their personality.

Delicious Anathema:
Good riddance.

That place was entertaining until 2013-2014 and then it went to shit. I remember reading and laughing at the 2011 Wii U Speculation threads, but the last time I read anything funny there was the glorious 2016 election meltdown.

Dear god it's like a parody, "it's the fault of all of those racist white people". Makes me angry for actually feeling bad for people who said they might hurt themselves post election.

Well isnt that just funny...

The greatest hive of "listen and believe" has been felled by nothing but accusations of a single user.

Oh the irony....

Whats the score now between anti gg turning out to be actual sexual harassers and rapists vs people from gg being actual sexual harassers and rapists? Something like 10 - 0 ?

altnameJag:

Derekloffin:

altnameJag:

...isn't that a good th8ng in cases like this? Eating one of their own instead of dismissing the terrible shit they did in the name of loyalty?

That's funny. No.
It's tons of people with minor offences panicking, that police will knock on their doors next and brainless mob just ...didn't change a thing. It follows. Better toss the biggest ones under the bus and run.
Like every shady group, they collapsed and sell their own,
as soon as it is dead obvious, that police is about to start hauling big fish out of the pond.

And good.
Wish that:
hints which (feminist and former Escapist content creator) Liana Kerzner dropped ABOUT THE WHOLE MEDIUM surrounding gaming journalism,
these accusations,
as well as previously (widely ignored here) allegations of vile sexual abuse by Andy Signore (DEFY -- Screen Junkies -- Honest Trailers),
were taken seriously by Police.
These aren't select few cases. This is organised, ingroup structured and abusing people (not just sexually) for last 2 decades pack rearing its ugly head.

I wish that Police would stop treat these, as separate incidents and did a massive sweep through this coterie and crack down on all the offenders. Enough of being scared and following bigoted political corectness shielding criminals and predators.
Law is set to protect all people. Needs to be enforced and not ashamed it does its job. Blind justice principle.

Karadalis:

The greatest hive of "listen and believe" has been felled by nothing but accusations of a single user.

Oh the irony....

Whats the score now between anti gg turning out to be actual sexual harassers and rapists vs people from gg being actual sexual harassers and rapists? Something like 10 - 0 ?

Yeah, because Milo Yiannopoulos and your like are saints of the highest order. I can't stand hypocrites like you just as I can't stand hypocrites at Neogaf. Stop gloating and look in a fucking mirror because you and they are exactly the same. No, scratch that, if I had to pick between you and that site I'd pick them a million times before I picked the group who destroyed this site and are so deluded that they think this festering rotting hellhole is somehow better because of GG.

Jamcie Kerbizz:

altnameJag:

Derekloffin:

That's funny. No.
It's tons of people with minor offences panicking, that police will knock on their doors next and brainless mob just ...didn't change a thing. It follows. Better toss the biggest ones under the bus and run.
as soon as it is dead obvious, that police is about to start hauling big fish out of the pond.

And good.
Wish that:
hints which (feminist and former Escapist content creator) Liana Kerzner dropped ABOUT THE WHOLE MEDIUM surrounding gaming journalism,
these accusations,
as well as previously (widely ignored here) allegations of vile sexual abuse by Andy Signore (DEFY -- Screen Junkies -- Honest Trailers),
These aren't select few cases. This is organised, ingroup structured and abusing people (not just sexually) for last 2 decades pack rearing its ugly head.

I wish that Police would stop treat these, as separate incidents and did a massive sweep through this coterie and crack down on all the offenders. Enough of being scared and following bigoted political corectness shielding criminals and predators.
Law is set to protect all people. Needs to be enforced and not ashamed it does its job. Blind justice principle.

You mean like you guys and GG? I mean, you guys still follow the deluded idea that a woman making a video series is a crime of the highest order to the point where you STILL dedicate your organization to trying to get her to commit suicide as if it her head was a trophy. Oh, but, as I'm sure, YOUR filth is justified, it's just EVERYONE ELSE who is evil and corrupt.

xaszatm:

Karadalis:

Oh the irony....

Yeah, because Milo Yiannopoulos and your like are saints of the highest order. I can't stand hypocrites like you just as I can't stand hypocrites at Neogaf. Stop gloating and look in a fucking mirror because you and they are exactly the same. No, scratch that, if I had to pick between you and that site I'd pick them a million times before I picked the group who destroyed this site and are so deluded that they think this festering rotting hellhole is somehow better because of GG.

Ok so who did Milo raped? Beside being pedophile rape victim himself with more than obvious Stockholm syndrome. Plus utter shithead when it comes to talking and provoking people. Who did he assault and/or raped?

Are you trying to equate talking BS and acting stupid, to being an actual predator, that attacks people, while publicly moralizing others?
And saints? Sins? What is this, some sort of right wing religious extreme?

You either follow the law, which states that all people are equal. You follow enforcement of that law and are not partaking in any form of discrimination or favourism. Or you do not. And in latter case you are a criminal. In that case, f-ck your contrived justification to break the law. Your place is in jail.

Jamcie Kerbizz:

xaszatm:

Karadalis:

Oh the irony....

Ok so who did Milo raped? Beside being pedophile rape victim himself with more than obvious Stockholm syndrome. Plus utter shithead when it comes to talking and provoking people. Who did he assault and/or raped?

Are you trying to equate talking BS and acting stupid, to being an actual predator, that attacks people, while publicly moralizing others?

You either follow the law, which states that all people are equal. You follow enforcement of that law and are not partaking in any form of discrimination or favourism. Or you do not. And in latter case you are a criminal. In that case, f-ck your contrived justification to break the law. Your place is in jail.

The list included harassers, I gave an example of a harasser. Is Evilore a worse person than Milo? Yes, I'm not denying that. He should have been thrown in jail years ago. Let's just not pretend to actually care about the law if you're willing to sweep your leader's crimes under the rug. Yes, I know you don't consider the disgusting campaingns against Anita Sarkesian, Brianna Wu, and Zoe Quinn harassment. In fact, I know you assume these are campaigns of purity and honor. But they are disgusting all the same, not as disgusting as someone who was pretty much a rapist, but just because your pile of shit is only 2 lbs less than someone else's doesn't make you the right way.

And yes, I know, someone like me who DARES question you guys and not the people you tell me to question belongs in jail, I know.

I've never been on neogaf and neither I wanted to. Sucks to be them, I suppose.

xaszatm:

Jamcie Kerbizz:

altnameJag:

That's funny. No.

And good.
Wish that:
these accusations,

You mean like you guys and GG? I mean, you guys still follow the deluded idea that a woman making a video series is a crime of the highest order to the point where you STILL dedicate your organization to trying to get her to commit suicide as if it her head was a trophy. Oh, but, as I'm sure, YOUR filth is justified, it's just EVERYONE ELSE who is evil and corrupt.

First of all the 'you guys and GG' is useless repetition. Suffice to say gamers.
I, as majority of gamers did not participate in gg or anti-gg and just got enveloped by fallout of these spreading on the entirety of all involved in this hobby. Just because given gamer's views align with one of things GG supported, does not make them GG supporters. If that caused in your brain 'an error' and you think that is a contradictioin, step away from computer and think about it for a while.

Second, Anita commited no crime by posting video with false premise and baseless conclusions.
People have right to err and others have a right to criticize them over it.
On one hand she could have been taken to court for fabricating death threaths but Police and FBI did not press the charges. People who wrote on internet insults have all the right to do so and show their lack of integrity to the rest.
On the other hand, people who wrote threats were investigated by FBI and in select few cases agents paid them a visit or local authorities paid them a visit and told them to stop after checking if they had any capability to follow through with their threats (turns out none of them did, just morons spewing idiocy on internet).

She did swindle people out of their money but that is just an opinion. According to the letter of the law people brought that on themselves (gave the money willingly, did not reserve any form of verification of the job being done or KPIs to measure if the job is well done). In addition I am not aware of anyone taking her to court over it and winning any money back. Again people have a right to voice their distaste of such practices or support for them.
She did skirt the law involving herself in political activity for non-profit organisation's money (which benefit from tax exepmtions). As far as I was made aware thou, this is shady practise common in USA and not likely to be pursued by IRS as that would mean various political groups left and right being dragged in as well (mind you imo, not a bad thing to enforce the law on them as a consequence).

Thirdly, if you hold any information about people attempting to pressure someone to commit suicide, you should contact authorities. Immediately.

I wonder if we'll also have a "greatest hits" when The Escapist goes down.

xaszatm:

Jamcie Kerbizz:

xaszatm:

The list included harassers, I gave an example of a harasser. Is Evilore a worse person than Milo? Yes, I'm not denying that. He should have been thrown in jail years ago. Let's just not pretend to actually care about the law if you're willing to sweep your leader's crimes under the rug. Yes, I know you don't consider the disgusting campaingns against Anita Sarkesian, Brianna Wu, and Zoe Quinn harassment. In fact, I know you assume these are campaigns of purity and honor. But they are disgusting all the same, not as disgusting as someone who was pretty much a rapist, but just because your pile of shit is only 2 lbs less than someone else's doesn't make you the right way.

And yes, I know, someone like me who DARES question you guys and not the people you tell me to question belongs in jail, I know.

C'mon, you sound like a religious extremist. All people who commited crimes, should be in jail. If there are people who assaulted others and got away with this, then no it is bad regardless of who they are. On the other hand I hope you don't mean by 'assault' just being a moron and complete dick that pushes the line of argument to being distasteful. Such people 'deserve' to be ostracized by individuals who find such behaviour out of place but they do not deserve to be locked in jail, cause they are not criminals. Is that clear enough?

Do NOT try to equate somone being nasty to you verbally or via mass media to someone telling you nice things then stealing/raping/coercing you to please them sexually etc. Just because someone supports your believes does not alleviate crimes they commit. Just because someone has (in your opinion) deplorable views, does not mean they should be locked up in jail. Thus the blind justice principle I mentioned.

Will people who don't like what you say look very carefully if your hands are clean? Yes. Is that bad? No.

Charli:

wizzy555:
So the escapist will outlive Neogaf. Who'vd thunk it?

Not me that's for sure. Boy howdy this has been an interesting week on the internet.

It's been a pretty weird set of years in general.
Feel like I've been taking crazy pills too.

inu-kun:

Delicious Anathema:
Good riddance.

Dear god it's like a parody, "it's the fault of all of those racist white people". Makes me angry for actually feeling bad for people who said they might hurt themselves post election.

I'm not exactly a fan of Trump but lets be honest - no matter which poison you preferred, the comments in that image were simply amazing. I think we can all agree on that :)

I kept a little tab on Neogaf for three reasons:
1. Sales of games/consoles
2. Nostalgic stuff they bring up (Dreamcast, old Hudson games, obscure SNES/Genesis stuff)
3. Looking up their 'wall of shame' section, where they store the comments that tempt fate (the DS reveal, Bayonetta 2 being exclusive, Knack 2's existance)

Otherwise is just a hang-out for fanboys of all kinds where every long topic goes toxic 2-5 pages in. So whenever a usual suspect appears like Lawbreakers (Cliff B), Metroid SR (Sakamoto, Mercurysteam), a Kickstarter (MN9, Broken Age); you can bet there are people who haven't let go.

I have literally only engaged with Neogaf as the result of google searches about gaming hardware. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it tofu? I have no idea.

This is like when Gawker died. Something vaguely grubby that I never really paid any attention to on account of its grubbiness.

Souplex:

wizzy555:
So the escapist will outlive Neogaf. Who'd've thunk it?

Maybe we'll get a boost from NeoGaf refugees?

Oh, I DO hope that happens.

Zhukov:

Zontar:
Assange put it best

Fucking hilarious coming from a guy who has spent the last how many years hiding in a closet to avoid rape charges?

Shhhh, we're not supposed to talk about when it's their side.

bastardofmelbourne:
I have literally only engaged with Neogaf as the result of google searches about gaming hardware. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it tofu? I have no idea.

This is like when Gawker died. Something vaguely grubby that I never really paid any attention to on account of its grubbiness.

It's a left-wing echo chamber, which is very very bad. If it was a right-wing echo chamber, it would be the most awesomest thing ever.

McMarbles:

Souplex:

wizzy555:
So the escapist will outlive Neogaf. Who'd've thunk it?

Maybe we'll get a boost from NeoGaf refugees?

Oh, I DO hope that happens.

It won't. The members went to discord (though in all honestly this was already happening anyways, the weekend's events just speed up the rate) and are currently building a new site. Granted 4chan keeps trying to sabotage it but I think they'll have something ready soon so they'll all go there instead.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here