So Neogaf is crashing and burning...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Strazdas:

Worgen:

I know exactly what they mean. You are using it as a way to arbitrarily attribute things to a group that aren't really part of that group since you apparently saw someone claiming to be a group member online say something stupid. If you don't gatekeep to some extent then anyone is anything and nothing means anything because it can be redefined by anyone. And the right is really good at redefining things.

Well thank you, finally we have reached the conclusion i was leading you towards. Gatekeeping is necessary to keep assholes out of communities. Now if only we also applied this to groups other than feminists.

Once again not sure what right has to do with it. you keep trying to bring political parties into this.

Also lol i got a warning for asking if you understand the concept i was explaining when quoting a post in which you posted almost complete opposite of the concept. apparently that was a passive aggressive insult. Sounds like moderation on this site got worse since staff left.

Ugh, dude, no it wasn't.

Because in the states feminism is really linked to political ideology. Right wing tends to view females as having a specific role they should be pushed to, left is more on the side of equality for all.

Sounds like the moderation is back at where it was back in the day since I got tagged for less than that before.

Worgen:

Strazdas:

Worgen:

I know exactly what they mean. You are using it as a way to arbitrarily attribute things to a group that aren't really part of that group since you apparently saw someone claiming to be a group member online say something stupid. If you don't gatekeep to some extent then anyone is anything and nothing means anything because it can be redefined by anyone. And the right is really good at redefining things.

Well thank you, finally we have reached the conclusion i was leading you towards. Gatekeeping is necessary to keep assholes out of communities. Now if only we also applied this to groups other than feminists.

Once again not sure what right has to do with it. you keep trying to bring political parties into this.

Also lol i got a warning for asking if you understand the concept i was explaining when quoting a post in which you posted almost complete opposite of the concept. apparently that was a passive aggressive insult. Sounds like moderation on this site got worse since staff left.

Ugh, dude, no it wasn't.

Because in the states feminism is really linked to political ideology. Right wing tends to view females as having a specific role they should be pushed to, left is more on the side of equality for all.

Sounds like the moderation is back at where it was back in the day since I got tagged for less than that before.

I dont understand what you mean by it wasnt. Can you elaborate?

Really? While i am not from the united states, literally noone i am friends with that is from united states expresses this. If anything, in the media i see the democrats (they arent actually left wing you know) are trying to push women into specific roles, mostly those of power such as CEOs. Meanwhile all i see from the conservatives is claims they want equal opportunity (as opposed to equal outcome).

I think theres some sort of irony of such mod action happening in a thread about a place famous for overbearing moderation :P

FalloutJack:

Strazdas:
Snip

He didn't make your point. He pointed out where you were mistaken and made his own point.

I didnt say he made my point, i said he reached the conclusion i wanted him to reach.

Strazdas:

Worgen:

Strazdas:

Ugh, dude, no it wasn't.

I dont understand what you mean by it wasnt. Can you elaborate?

Really? While i am not from the united states, literally noone i am friends with that is from united states expresses this. If anything, in the media i see the democrats (they arent actually left wing you know) are trying to push women into specific roles, mostly those of power such as CEOs. Meanwhile all i see from the conservatives is claims they want equal opportunity (as opposed to equal outcome).

I think theres some sort of irony of such mod action happening in a thread about a place famous for overbearing moderation :P

FalloutJack:

Strazdas:
Snip

He didn't make your point. He pointed out where you were mistaken and made his own point.

I didnt say he made my point, i said he reached the conclusion i wanted him to reach.

You are saying that I got where you wanted me to despite the fact you didn't you are just wanting a "win" for some stupid reason to your putting goal posts up so you can claim a win.

In tv and movies and such they like to put women and minorities in places of power since it makes them seem inclusive, but the reality is much less so. Plus while they tend to be put in places of power, they usually don't really get to do much or they act more as obstructions. Right wingers want women in certain positions too, but those positions are in the home, so the man can make the money and not upset the "natural order."

Have a 3 hour debate vid that gets into some of that stuff. Well, only 2 hours is really the debate, the last hour is Destiny talking with his subscribers and such.

Strazdas:
Snip

That's the same thing, and that isn't what happened.

Not to drag this thread kicking and screaming back on topic, but I noticed the neoGAF is back up and running (new neoGAF I guess), and appears to have some kind of traffic going on in gaming - less everywhere else.

Thoughts, feelings, fears, fetishes? I'm curious to know if people who used that site think its back on its feet or if its still hurting a bit after things went down. Traffic sites tell me that its climbing back, but may have peaked and be on a downslope.

Worgen:

You are saying that I got where you wanted me to despite the fact you didn't you are just wanting a "win" for some stupid reason to your putting goal posts up so you can claim a win.

In tv and movies and such they like to put women and minorities in places of power since it makes them seem inclusive, but the reality is much less so. Plus while they tend to be put in places of power, they usually don't really get to do much or they act more as obstructions. Right wingers want women in certain positions too, but those positions are in the home, so the man can make the money and not upset the "natural order."

Have a 3 hour debate vid that gets into some of that stuff. Well, only 2 hours is really the debate, the last hour is Destiny talking with his subscribers and such.

No, i genuinely wanted you to reach the conclusion that gatekeeping is necessary. I always believe the best way to convince an opponent in debate is to make him reach the conclusion himself so there is no reactor from disagreement. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesnt, often it has me acting obnoxiuosly to attempt to lead the person on the right patch, but i dont care how i am percieved, only that the best results are achieved. My goal is not to "win", but to reach an agreement.

To be honest i usually dont even notice the skin colour of actors in movies. like genuinely i dont care who is portraying the character, i care about characters personality. I agree with Morgan Freeman in how racism should be handled i guess.

I find the whole inclusive for inclusiveness sale stupid and insulting to minorities. You should write good characters, not shoein minorities and claim you are inclusive. I dont know if right wingers want women at home, but Women themselves certainly want to. Or are women choosing how to spend their lives is not good anymore and we must force them to work? This is what happened in soviet union, and it wasnt pretty.

Natural order is a shit argument. if we wanted natural order we would be living in caves.

Destiny is an idiot who couldnt make a fluent argument if his life depended on it. I have no love for Southern who seems like nothing more than provocateur (she legally changed her gender just to put people who debate her off kilter), but destiny is not a role model you want to follow, ever.

Edit: I forgot to mention, The Atlantic did a pretty good article on why women choose to stay at home.

Strazdas:

Worgen:

No, i genuinely wanted you to reach the conclusion that gatekeeping is necessary. I always believe the best way to convince an opponent in debate is to make him reach the conclusion himself so there is no reactor from disagreement. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesnt, often it has me acting obnoxiuosly to attempt to lead the person on the right patch, but i dont care how i am percieved, only that the best results are achieved. My goal is not to "win", but to reach an agreement.

To be honest i usually dont even notice the skin colour of actors in movies. like genuinely i dont care who is portraying the character, i care about characters personality. I agree with Morgan Freeman in how racism should be handled i guess.

I find the whole inclusive for inclusiveness sale stupid and insulting to minorities. You should write good characters, not shoein minorities and claim you are inclusive. I dont know if right wingers want women at home, but Women themselves certainly want to. Or are women choosing how to spend their lives is not good anymore and we must force them to work? This is what happened in soviet union, and it wasnt pretty.

Natural order is a shit argument. if we wanted natural order we would be living in caves.

Destiny is an idiot who couldnt make a fluent argument if his life depended on it. I have no love for Southern who seems like nothing more than provocateur (she legally changed her gender just to put people who debate her off kilter), but destiny is not a role model you want to follow, ever.

Edit: I forgot to mention, The Atlantic did a pretty good article on why women choose to stay at home.

Except I was never arguing against gatekeeping, in fact, you could interpret from my earliest arguments that I was already for it. So you're statement reeks of being a "gotcha, I win" kinda thing for no purpose.

I can give you an easy argument for representation. You said you were eastern european, in movies your people tend to be portrayed as criminals who kidnap western women or are terrorists, because its safer then having someone with a bit darker skin.

Did you watch the same vid? Destiny was the only one making any kind of coherent argument.

Worgen:

Except I was never arguing against gatekeeping, in fact, you could interpret from my earliest arguments that I was already for it. So you're statement reeks of being a "gotcha, I win" kinda thing for no purpose.

I can give you an easy argument for representation. You said you were eastern european, in movies your people tend to be portrayed as criminals who kidnap western women or are terrorists, because its safer then having someone with a bit darker skin.

Did you watch the same vid? Destiny was the only one making any kind of coherent argument.

Well if you did, i did not interpret it as such. I guess that would make us in agreement either way.

Um, i still dont see how is this an argument for representation?

I did nt watch the video you linked because i saw Destiny debates in the past (2 of them) and destiny made sure i wont want to watch him again in those.

Also sorry for late response, been a bit busy in RL, one of my hard drives decided to give its last.

Is it just me, or is this less of an indictment against "The Left™" and feminism and male feminists, and more just that some people with sway are just sleezebags and a lot of them happen to be deeply involved in the internet gaming community?

NemotheElvenPanda:
Is it just me, or is this less of an indictment against "The Left?" and feminism and male feminists, and more just that some people with sway are just sleezebags and a lot of them happen to be deeply involved in the internet gaming community?

Oh, you're entirely correct. It's just that some people are so addicted to outrage and 'fighting them SJWs' that any excuse to whip out their hate boners and wave them around in public for all to see necessitates doing so.

Strazdas:

Worgen:

Well if you did, i did not interpret it as such. I guess that would make us in agreement either way.

Um, i still dont see how is this an argument for representation?

I did nt watch the video you linked because i saw Destiny debates in the past (2 of them) and destiny made sure i wont want to watch him again in those.

Also sorry for late response, been a bit busy in RL, one of my hard drives decided to give its last.

Except your starting argument was against gatekeeping since you were just assuming that any crazy person calling themselves a feminist was being honest about what it meant and taking it at face value. Which is pretty much opposite of what your saying now.

Because if eastern Europeans had better representation then they might not all be portrayed as murderers and rapists.

What vids were those?

Avnger:

NemotheElvenPanda:
Is it just me, or is this less of an indictment against "The Left?" and feminism and male feminists, and more just that some people with sway are just sleezebags and a lot of them happen to be deeply involved in the internet gaming community?

Oh, you're entirely correct. It's just that some people are so addicted to outrage and 'fighting them SJWs' that any excuse to whip out their hate boners and wave them around in public for all to see necessitates doing so.

Even though the majority of the "SJW" community are perfectly reasonable people that just have grievances with how certain systems are structured and handled.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here