How much money(USD) would you put into a publicly traded company to buy the Escapist back?
$0 (NOTHING!)
54.5% (67)
54.5% (67)
<$100
29.3% (36)
29.3% (36)
$100-199
4.9% (6)
4.9% (6)
$200-499
0.8% (1)
0.8% (1)
$500-999
1.6% (2)
1.6% (2)
$1000-1999
2.4% (3)
2.4% (3)
$5000+
5.7% (7)
5.7% (7)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Buying back the Escapist?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So there's been talk about Susan Arendt, Russ Pitts, and some other old editors and content producers from the Escapist's golden years buying back the Escapist from Defy. I think if they decided on crowdfunding, Kickstarter or Patreon would be the wrong avenue to go for a thing like this, since it's basically paying someone to start their own business. A publicly traded company, on the other hand would be a good fit.

I'm wondering how much money the Escapist community would put up for a venture of this nature?

Edit: added a link.

What would even be the point? Like, I enjoy the Escapist and all and miss the golden years as much as the next guy, but sometimes things just have their heyday and fade away, and I feel that the Escapist is past its. Why not just get together and make a new site to post content on? I feel that would be much less expensive.

Im glad people like Susan and Russ have other people making big financial decisions for them involving a webstie they are no longer involved in.

If anything, Defy should just -give- the site to Yahtzee. Change the site's name to ZeroPunctuation...andalsoaforumaboutgamesorsomething.com

Saelune:

If anything, Defy should just give the site to Yahtzee.

No freaking kidding! He should just buy the damn place and hire new talent for his decidedly 'games centrist, no drama' review style.

Saelune:

If anything, Defy should just -give- the site to Yahtzee. Change the site's name to ZeroPunctuation...andalsoaforumaboutgamesorsomething.com

ZeroPunctuation....andfriends.com ?

But, yeah. This!

Saelune... has.. a. good point. ,)

Saelune:
Im glad people like Susan and Russ have other people making big financial decisions for them involving a webstie they are no longer involved in.

?? Who's making decisions for them? Shouldn't they be doing that themselves, or are they really bad with money or something?

I'm just curious how much money the community would put up for something like this. I'd invest in it.

Much as I used to love the Escapist, I think that a large part of the community it used to have is just gone. Even amongst those who've stayed it feels much less tight knit. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think that even if they did buy it back there's no way they would make it viable.

It would be a waste of time and monbey. Buying the Escapist wouldn't solve much, tzhe issues were created by the Site itself. It wqould make more sense to just start a new site and invite the people over. Not to mention that someone like MovieBob should probably stay away. That guy has way too large of a chip on his shoulder.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

If anything, Defy should just give the site to Yahtzee.

No freaking kidding! He should just buy the damn place and hire new talent for his decidedly 'games centrist, no drama' review style.

I'd put money behind that.
Admittedly, there's only so much cash you can find under the fridge, but I'd put some in for sure.

I'm broke so I wouldn't pay, however I would be happy to see those people managing the site again, or at least make a new site together.

For all this talk about buying The Escapist... are we even sure Defy wants to sell it?
Yahtzee is finally under contract; Defy wouldn't shell out like that after ten years if they weren't rolling in cash and Yahtzee wasn't supplying it steadily. Yes, the place looks like a dump, and the lack of communication sparks paranoid speculation. But for all we know Defy is still making money and they'll be damned if they're gonna part with the golden egg goose (that's you Yahtz).

I might pay a bit if it meant some of the video series I liked made a return (like Lisa's top 5s and a couple of others) but, even so, it wouldn't be a huge amount I could spare

I think this sums the situation:

I liked Susan and Russ and miss the golden years of The Escapist, but I'm not sure what they hope to achieve by buying out The Escapist.

If I had the money, I'd pay 200k$ for this site. Probably would also try to do a YouTube channel like Gameranx (think of them what you want), their channel is rather successful and thankfully there is absolutely 0 drama and rarely if ever any clickbait involved in their output, as far as I remember. Am watching almost every video they put out for the last year or more.

Get back Good Bad Flicks. I've watched every single video of his except for the unscripted reviews on YouTube. He got hit hard by YouTube's algorithm and could really use some secure income or at the very least a secure webspace.

Also, there is a German website called Consolewars.de. Its news are all voluntarily written, as far as I know. I think almost nobody gets paid. And they put out news after news, at the very least even readable and sometimes without a delay in time for longer than a day. They keep lamenting on the good old days when apparently, they had way more traffic, but they're IGN compared to escapist right now in terms of frequency. On top of that, a lot of their news are also true, most of the time.

What I'm trying to say is that there still is potential in this site with a bit of promotion, money and the bridge to YouTube if you'd plug the site there in every video in a way that doesn't come across as nagging.

It WOULD be lovely to see this site get some content creators, but I just don't see that happening.

Game'REAPLOL'Gate killed several sites thanks to the trolls/bots.

Best thing you could do is buy the email list, create a NEW site (with the same basic forum) and go from there.

I'd love to see The Escapist community move together to another site, there's just so few gaming centric forums out there that are as 'free' as this one is.

But...I ain't holding my breath.

Hmm, well, it could work, but... really what the site needs is content. I mean I'll probably keep on it till it dies just because I like how the forums work and someone needs to be in charge of posting ponies. But at the very least the site needs a good news feed going again, after that they can focus on more original content.

Johnny Novgorod:
But for all we know Defy is still making money and they'll be damned if they're gonna part with the golden egg goose (that's you Yahtz).

I doubt they'd keep the servers on if this place was operating at a loss, and given how little effort it takes Yahtzee to make his content (he's open about the fact Zero Punctuation takes 2 hours from start to end to make, so we can only imagine how little time Judging by the Cover takes) he probably isn't demanding too much for what is just a small part of what he does with his time.

What surprises me is that Defy only spent a brief time having their other content creators dump their content here despite the fact it costs them nothing to do so.

I say let it die. The GateKeepers have broken it on the rack to the point where it doesn't even scream anymore, so old yeller it already.

I think it's gone sadly.

I can't see it being the far left wing polemic heartland it once was.

I'm unemployed so I don't have the funds to contribute, but I have to wonder; do Susan and Russ have a plan to revitalize The Escapist if they succeed in their buyout? It's all very well to say they're going to do that, but unless they have a plan in place they might as well not bother.

I don't want Susan back. She has temper-control problems.

Yeah no.

While I have a job but I have not paid a penny toward crowfunded related stuff and that's not gonna changed now for this site.

My loved for this site had decrease drastically over the years.

Canadamus Prime:
I'm unemployed so I don't have the funds to contribute, but I have to wonder; do Susan and Russ have a plan to revitalize The Escapist if they succeed in their buyout? It's all very well to say they're going to do that, but unless they have a plan in place they might as well not bother.

What they've tweeted is that they want to roll out mass bans, kill not only the Wild West but the forums in general, and give all the IP away to the original creators.
I honestly don't know why anyone who is still active on the forum wants that, but people are clapping like children in a candy store to their return.

Rednog:

Canadamus Prime:

What they've tweeted is that they want to roll out mass bans, kill not only the Wild West but the forum in general, and give all the IP away to the original creators.
I honestly don't know why anyone who is still active on the forum wants that, but people are clapping like children in a candy store to their return.

Because it would mean their side "won" even if it is a Pyrrhic victory.

Rednog:

Canadamus Prime:

What they've tweeted is that they want to roll out mass bans, kill not only the Wild West but the forums in general, and give all the IP away to the original creators.

I'm guessing those people haven't read those tweets then.

Hi folks, I need some guidance here, if anyone can help out. My company, Enthusiast Gaming, recently bought Destructoid when they were in a similar financial situation and needed to be bailed out. It kept the community alive and ticking and we're even reinvesting more into the site to help it grow and develop new features. I'd be totally down to buying The Escapist and investing into the vision of the leadership team and community. We take a hands-off approach other than providing more financial resources. We don't mess with the culture and community created over time. That's what makes a site awesome and tampering with that is a recipe for failure.

I'd simply need to be put in touch with whoever is able to make such a decision at Defy. Can anyone help?

Rednog:

As much as I'm amused by the current state of the forums I'd be all for this and would consider putting in a few bucks.

SnowyGamester:

Rednog:

As much as I'm amused by the current state of the forums I'd be all for this and would consider putting in a few bucks.

But what's the point?
I'm honestly curious as to why you would support it.

Menashe:
Hi folks, I need some guidance here, if anyone can help out. My company, Enthusiast Gaming, recently bought Destructoid when they were in a similar financial situation and needed to be bailed out. It kept the community alive and ticking and we're even reinvesting more into the site to help it grow and develop new features. I'd be totally down to buying The Escapist and investing into the vision of the leadership team and community. We take a hands-off approach other than providing more financial resources. We don't mess with the culture and community created over time. That's what makes a site awesome and tampering with that is a recipe for failure.

I'd simply need to be put in touch with whoever is able to make such a decision at Defy. Can anyone help?

Hi Menashe,

I'll be frank, we have very little contact with Defy these days. I don't know specifically who you would contact for that, I would recommend messaging staff member Encaen to see if he can redirect you to whoever has that authority. The Defy Media website might be worth checking out too, though I personally couldn't find much detail there.

Hope that helps, anyway.

SnowyGamester:

Rednog:

Why would you be down for this? They'd effectively kill the site. ...not that it's not mostly dead already. Hmmmm, maybe euthanizing the site would be the best idea.

Canadamus Prime:

SnowyGamester:

Rednog:

Why would you be down for this? They'd effectively kill the site. ...not that it's not mostly dead already. Hmmmm, maybe euthanizing the site would be the best idea.

Ceremonious suicide beats unceremonious suicide any day.

Let me think about that:

Sorry but the time to have asked this question was back when the site still had some content worth anyone's time.

Borty The Bort:

Canadamus Prime:

SnowyGamester:

Ceremonious suicide beats unceremonious suicide any day.

What? Will there be some big announcement on Twitter? Break out the bagpipes and start playing Amazing Grace.

Menashe:

I have some ideas, if that helps. I mean, what are you planning on doing? What exactly is thy plan?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here