How much money(USD) would you put into a publicly traded company to buy the Escapist back?
$0 (NOTHING!)
54.5% (67)
54.5% (67)
<$100
29.3% (36)
29.3% (36)
$100-199
4.9% (6)
4.9% (6)
$200-499
0.8% (1)
0.8% (1)
$500-999
1.6% (2)
1.6% (2)
$1000-1999
2.4% (3)
2.4% (3)
$5000+
5.7% (7)
5.7% (7)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Buying back the Escapist?

Pages PREV 1 2

I originally started in 2011 with just my own Enthusiast gaming sites, like Nintendo Enthusiast. Once our team realized that a lot of the gaming ad networks out there were pretty sleazy and run by corporate suits that don't understand actual gaming sites, their communities, or their owners, we set about making our own network. I was friends already with a lot of gaming site owners through shared experiences at E3 and whatnot, so many sites joined and we began representing them. We then started bailing out sites that were going under through acquiring them. We did that with Destructoid and OnlySP.com, as well, and when the founders launched their Kickstarter campaign for Gameumentary recently, we put in a large donation on the last day to help them get over the funding goal so that they create long-form gaming documentaries.

We also put on Canada's largest gaming convention - EGLX. It too started as a small fan passion project which has grown pretty large in recent years.

So our plan would be to buy The Escapist, see who is recognized as the 'leaders' in the community, hopefully bring back some of the staff, and see where we can invest to continue growing it larger and producing more content/features.
ac

ArcaneGamer:

Menashe:
Hi folks, I need some guidance here, if anyone can help out. My company, Enthusiast Gaming, recently bought Destructoid when they were in a similar financial situation and needed to be bailed out. It kept the community alive and ticking and we're even reinvesting more into the site to help it grow and develop new features. I'd be totally down to buying The Escapist and investing into the vision of the leadership team and community. We take a hands-off approach other than providing more financial resources. We don't mess with the culture and community created over time. That's what makes a site awesome and tampering with that is a recipe for failure.

I'd simply need to be put in touch with whoever is able to make such a decision at Defy. Can anyone help?

I have some ideas, if that helps. I mean, what are you planning on doing? What exactly is thy plan?

Menashe:
I originally started in 2011 with just my own Enthusiast gaming sites, like Nintendo Enthusiast. Once our team realized that a lot of the gaming ad networks out there were pretty sleazy and run by corporate suits that don't understand actual gaming sites, their communities, or their owners, we set about making our own network. I was friends already with a lot of gaming site owners through shared experiences at E3 and whatnot, so many sites joined and we began representing them. We then started bailing out sites that were going under through acquiring them. We did that with Destructoid and OnlySP.com, as well, and when the founders launched their Kickstarter campaign for Gameumentary recently, we put in a large donation on the last day to help them get over the funding goal so that they create long-form gaming documentaries.

We also put on Canada's largest gaming convention - EGLX. It too started as a small fan passion project which has grown pretty large in recent years.

So our plan would be to buy The Escapist, see who is recognized as the 'leaders' in the community, hopefully bring back some of the staff, and see where we can invest to continue growing it larger and producing more content/features.
ac

ArcaneGamer:

Menashe:
Hi folks, I need some guidance here, if anyone can help out. My company, Enthusiast Gaming, recently bought Destructoid when they were in a similar financial situation and needed to be bailed out. It kept the community alive and ticking and we're even reinvesting more into the site to help it grow and develop new features. I'd be totally down to buying The Escapist and investing into the vision of the leadership team and community. We take a hands-off approach other than providing more financial resources. We don't mess with the culture and community created over time. That's what makes a site awesome and tampering with that is a recipe for failure.

I'd simply need to be put in touch with whoever is able to make such a decision at Defy. Can anyone help?

I have some ideas, if that helps. I mean, what are you planning on doing? What exactly is thy plan?

The community here can be pretty political and tends to have members holding a wide range of views. I don't think elevating community leaders is a great plan in that regard unless you look into the forum controversies. Politics can get nasty here sometimes and there have been a few cases of mods directly abusing their power for their personal political causes, not to mention lots of ban jumping and people trying to quietly poison the site while retaining membership to punish the site for allowing views that differ from theirs (see fake news releases made by discordians or their ban jumper sock puppet account). If you do want to elevate people within the community I strongly recommend you seek out non divisive personalities (probably no one who has been a member Mr. Pip's Night Club or the Discordian Society should have anything directly to do with site direction) GG was divisive to the community elevating someone strongly in either camp will probably hurt the progress of the site going forward.

Menashe:

ac

ArcaneGamer:

Menashe:

You sound legit, and I posted a message on their Facebook and Twitter that someone is interested. There's a number you can call. But before you do? Remember that there are certain...well, controversies on these forums. ScaredIndie stated it above me, so there's that. I want this to go through. Why? Because I remember when coming here was a regular part of my week. By that, I mean, I remember when I would look at the Weekly Schedule and be anxious for more of the shows I liked. This site is worth helping, in my opinion. It will take quite the effort, but it CAN be done. Defy cares not for us, nor this site, and I don't know if you've noticed a fair amount have either left, or accepted it's slow demise. Me? I want to help in any way I can. Look at this crap:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/171005-Open-Letter-to-The-Escapist-Community

Should you buy this site, these are the people you're going to have to get back on the payroll first. Yahtzee keeps the place afloat, but we know not for how long; especially since Garwulf is leaving again. Help this place, EG.

I would love to see this site back to glory. Get new creators in, get new webcomics in, get everything in! It's just such a shame that Defy just don't have any love or care for it. This could be a great little space to hang out again. It would need one hell of an investment into it to go forwards.

Canadamus Prime:

Rednog:

Canadamus Prime:
I'm unemployed so I don't have the funds to contribute, but I have to wonder; do Susan and Russ have a plan to revitalize The Escapist if they succeed in their buyout? It's all very well to say they're going to do that, but unless they have a plan in place they might as well not bother.

What they've tweeted is that they want to roll out mass bans, kill not only the Wild West but the forums in general, and give all the IP away to the original creators.
I honestly don't know why anyone who is still active on the forum wants that, but people are clapping like children in a candy store to their return.

I'm guessing those people haven't read those tweets then.

No, I hadn't read that. I'm certainly not too hot on the idea of mass bans or axing the WW (though it does get to be a bit of a political cesspit at times).

I think at this point it's far too late.

There's nothing worth buying. You'd be throwing your money away.

You'd still have a likely unprofitable website that can't pay its staff on a regular basis.

Canadamus Prime:

SnowyGamester:

Rednog:
What they've tweeted is that they want to roll out mass bans, kill not only the Wild West but the forums in general, and give all the IP away to the original creators.
I honestly don't know why anyone who is still active on the forum wants that, but people are clapping like children in a candy store to their return.

As much as I'm amused by the current state of the forums I'd be all for this and would consider putting in a few bucks.

Why would you be down for this? They'd effectively kill the site. ...not that it's not mostly dead already. Hmmmm, maybe euthanizing the site would be the best idea.

I never said anything about shutting down the forums, so that's just a lie. I do advocate getting rid of WW, however. Also, do you actually understand what returning IP to the creators means? Simply, for example, that LRR could make Unskippable again. It doesn't remove anything from this site, and it's not as though they were going to make more Unskippable for The Escapist, so do explain what you perceive as the downside to returning control control over the name, branding, and marketing rights of material to their creators.

Susan Arendt:

Canadamus Prime:

SnowyGamester:

As much as I'm amused by the current state of the forums I'd be all for this and would consider putting in a few bucks.

Why would you be down for this? They'd effectively kill the site. ...not that it's not mostly dead already. Hmmmm, maybe euthanizing the site would be the best idea.

I never said anything about shutting down the forums, so that's just a lie. I do advocate getting rid of WW, however. Also, do you actually understand what returning IP to the creators means? Simply, for example, that LRR could make Unskippable again. It doesn't remove anything from this site, and it's not as though they were going to make more Unskippable for The Escapist, so do explain what you perceive as the downside to returning control control over the name, branding, and marketing rights of material to their creators.

I was mostly referring to the axing of the forums since the site doesn't have much content left anyway. And sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't use Twitter so I was getting this second hand. I'm all in favor of axing WW though, it irritates me.

Canadamus Prime:

Susan Arendt:

Canadamus Prime:

I was mostly referring to the axing of the forums since the site doesn't have much content left anyway. And sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't use Twitter so I was getting this second hand. I'm all in favor of axing WW though, it irritates me.

No worries! :)

WW cull thread anyone?

Saelune:
Im glad people like Susan and Russ have other people making big financial decisions for them involving a webstie they are no longer involved in.

If anything, Defy should just -give- the site to Yahtzee. Change the site's name to ZeroPunctuation...andalsoaforumaboutgamesorsomething.com

That is how everyone feels.

This sounds like an aristocracy in which you pay money in exchange for being dubbed the oligarch or "admin" of this website.

What are we, Sealandia?

Susan Arendt:

"They" doesn't necessarily refer to just you, I was combining what was tweeted from the various old gaurds.
Shutting down the forums was from:

So if you were to ask me to, say, relaunch the site. The first thing I'd do is cut off the forums.— Shallow Greyve (@GreyTheTick) October 22, 2017

You also skipped over the mass bans part which you did endorse.

Further more like you said it's not like these creators are going to make more of their stuff for the escapist. You better believe that if Defy did sell that IP would definitely be factored into the cost. So if people are going to donate to buy back the site at least find some way to sell back the IP, or reward the IP to the creators that contribute to buying the site back, or heck maybe even set up a contract to make X amount of content for the site to get their IP; so donators' money isn't completely just instantly thrown out the window.

Menashe:
-snip-

Hi!
Sorry to bother you, but I was curious whether you had any success in contacting Defy and if you were still interested in incorporating The Escapist into the Enthusiast Gaming Community?
As a long-time user I care about this site and where it is going in the future as we seem to be at a crossroads.

With regards / Vendor-Lazarus

bjj hero:
WW cull thread anyone?

You lack ambition. The whole forum should be burnt to the ground and rebuilt properly from scratch.

Rednog:
But what's the point?
I'm honestly curious as to why you would support it.

Canadamus Prime:

Really I just like the idea that any of the dropped content could be picked back up by the original creators if they felt like it. The way I see it there's not a whole lot left to kill at this point.

FalloutJack:
I don't want Susan back. She has temper-control problems.

You know damn well I do as well, the hell you on about?

SnowyGamester:

Rednog:
But what's the point?
I'm honestly curious as to why you would support it.

Canadamus Prime:

Really I just like the idea that any of the dropped content could be picked back up by the original creators if they felt like it. The way I see it there's not a whole lot left to kill at this point.

I said that. More or less.

I haven't heard a thing, unfortunately.

Rednog:

Canadamus Prime:
I'm unemployed so I don't have the funds to contribute, but I have to wonder; do Susan and Russ have a plan to revitalize The Escapist if they succeed in their buyout? It's all very well to say they're going to do that, but unless they have a plan in place they might as well not bother.

Wait which tweet is talking about mass bans and killing the forums in general? That seems mutually exclusive actually in that you can't really ban someone from a forum that doesn't exist.

The Decapitated Centaur:

Rednog:

Canadamus Prime:

Wait which tweet is talking about mass bans and killing the forums in general? That seems mutually exclusive actually in that you can't really ban someone from a forum that doesn't exist.

Susan wanted to mass ban people, and Grey wanted to kill the forums in general, they are both part of the same clique though.

Menashe:

So our plan would be to buy The Escapist, see who is recognized as the 'leaders' in the community

Sorry to cut you off, but this wouldn't be a good idea at all. The Escapist community is seriously factional as a result of the petty political territoriality pushed by the "leading lights" of games writing over the past few years, the results of which I'm sure you're familiar with. Consequently, most people supported as "community leaders" would be sure to alienate many others. Mind you, given the lamentable circumstances this is actually a positive distinguishing feature of the community for some of us who try to avoid the hysterically censorious echo chambers that have sadly become the norm as of late. This community has its problems, but at least it's not a breeding ground of creepy lockstep brigades like so many others.

My suggestion would be to establish an editorial vision that outright rejects the constraints of these engineered divisions and find community moderators who subscribe to that way forward from the present mess. Why settle playing for sixth fiddle to the Kotakus of this media landscape? Community standards should be concerned with conduct, rather than some Party affiliation or another.

Yeah, no. What y'all need to keep in mind is that in addition to buying back the website from Defy, any angel rescuers would furthermore have to have the funds to invest back into the site to get content up. The old editors and content creators don't have the money. They'd need investors. And who'd want to invest in a brand as neglected and damaged as the Escapist?

The most plausible thing that could possibly happen is a "successor" site with all the old gang back together. And even that would take a lot of hard work to make happen.

Im not a fan of Susan, however the site did started to noticeably decline after she left and went down faster after Russ left (i still cant get over the fact that his surname is Pitts, sorry). That being said i dont think buying this website is worth it and it could ever be brought back to life. Such websites are pretty much dead in the water just as much as mom&pop shops are due to advent of big supermarkets.

Can't we just sell the site to the Indian love gurus and get it over with.

Menashe:

Seems to me that if the same company bought out two different video game publications, rolling them into one entity is the first thing I'd expect them to do, just for the sake of combining what little they have left to offer into something that might worth visiting, or at least a good start. The alternative would be to effectively turn their respective struggles to survive into an internal rivalry, like what Eddie Lampert has been doing with Kmart and Sears.

And it's a little too late to worry about messing with the "culture and community" of this site; that was the first thing to go to horribly wrong here, and as far as I can tell things have, at best, settled down simply because there's hardly any activity going on at all. By all means, keep the forums themselves around in some form -- I still love that someone went to the trouble of coding their own engine that integrates so well with the rest of the site software; if there is to be a restructuring, let's not be like Univision which merged the AV Club into the ex-Gawker family and destroyed its comment sections in the process. But there needs to be an effort to fix the shit that's broken, not just keep it on life support indefinitely.

Don't get me wrong; your offer -- bailing us out with no strings attached -- would be a godsend to any number of other struggling websites. And I'm probably overly optimistic about how much things could be improved. But we need strings. Strings attached to something that can pull us out of this hole Macris dug us into. If you can tell us you're interested in doing that, then I'm on board.

I'd be willing to chip money in to get The Escapist back on track. Back when I joined it was a shining beacon in the gloomy mire of internet forums and I enjoyed the content and people on here. I can still mostly say the same for the people at least.

The thing is I'm so out of touch I'm not sure if forums are still the way people go about things these days, so maybe I'm just holding onto an ideal that is no longer relevant (much like myself).

Johnny Novgorod:
Can't we just sell the site to the Indian love gurus and get it over with.

This almost made me spit my coffee. They're certainly motivated that's for sure.

Menashe:
So our plan would be to buy The Escapist, see who is recognized as the 'leaders' in the community

Please don't do that. The self-proclaimed "leaders" around here have done enough damage as it is, without being vindicated for it.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here