So, have we decided on our new forum yet? (Giantbomb is too sanitized)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Please say it's not Giantbomb again. They just banned me again and deleted a bunch of my posts. People kept flagging my comments. I was able to say the same things about the new Wolfenstein here without any issue, but THERE it's apparently too negative. I got no explanation for my ban. I said in another thread that Giantbomb is too sanitized. Two people tried to deny it. Ironically, a bunch of harmless posts about how sanitized it is were then deleted.

They don't like you anyway.

"The Escapist started off with the right intentions, but man - it's a putrid wasteland after Gamegate happened. The forums there are entirely full of right-wing nutjobs (and a few militant left-wingers) who do nothing but jump at each other's throats with the slightest provocation. I'm being serious when I say that I hope most of them do not end up here."

"If I'm reading this right, they also seem to be implying that they might relax their rules which is the last thing they need to do after those forums became such a Gamergate breeding ground. There was a period where I frequented the forums, but they just got too gross to look at after that whole debacle."

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/btw-the-escapist-is-also-basically-defunct-1815316/

I'm too stubborn to start from scratch on a general gaming forum again.

I am on the GMC, but that's focused on video game development so I don't think that's a good choice for most people here.

If you want my opinion, the relaxing of rules is not what's being considered.

I wonder if they'd consider me one of those militant left-wingers.

RPGCodex.

That is all.

Reddi-*gets shot*

Honestly, no idea. I'd rather see this place be revived with new ownership rather than try and find anywhere else to go

Giantbomb is a terrible place. A serious suggestion might just be to use the Escapist Magazine Steam Group, since nowhere else is like The Escapist besides The Escapist.

*reads through that Giantbomb topic* Better than reddit, but wow, I really still just absolutely love Escapist's forum layout. Its so neat and pretty and clear what is happening and who is responding to who.

I am still optimistic about the community reclaiming the forum for ourselves and improving it that way.

"The Escapist started off with the right intentions, but man - it's a putrid wasteland after Gamegate happened. The forums there are entirely full of right-wing nutjobs (and a few militant left-wingers) who do nothing but jump at each other's throats with the slightest provocation. I'm being serious when I say that I hope most of them do not end up here."

I love how being center-left makes me a right-winger. And a nutjob at that!

Leg End:
Escapist Magazine Steam Group

No activity there in a LONG time. Most recent announcement is from 2008 about opening a TF2 server.

Never seen a giantbomb thread before
Sure is ugly

Search field can be moved to the same level as the thread title
Main boards section is made redundant with the drop down - delete it
Top poster section can be deleted
Avatars can lose their rounded edges
Center the posts
Lose the bubbles and replace them with borders
The tumblr style quote system can go too
Those plastered award ribbons can burn

Requests my permission to run flash
Will never happen

I have no suggestions
Lot of places are really ugly and would require me to create a userstyle to even consider signing up

The format here is easy to follow
The widget up top which allows me to change bg color, font as well as the size sold me on this place

American Tanker:

Leg End:
Escapist Magazine Steam Group

No activity there in a LONG time. Most recent announcement is from 2008 about opening a TF2 server.

Make the site a chatroom and everyone just talks in the group.

I'm just here cuz it's fun to experience the end times.

Are we still looking? Personally I'm not in a hurry to migrate.

Canadamus Prime:
Are we still looking? Personally I'm not in a hurry to migrate.

I'm someone who has already seen Defy kill a forum he liked. We at Gametrailers didn't prepare, and I lost touch with most of them.

I vote for Shamus' site. I haven't been on the forums too much, but the discussion in the comments for the articles is really good! Reminds me of golden days Escapist almost. There's no religion or politics allowed so things stay focused on discussing games and fun and not on a perpetual battle about who is actually a Nazi.

Drathnoxis:
I vote for Shamus' site. I haven't been on the forums too much, but the discussion in the comments for the articles is really good! Reminds me of golden days Escapist almost. There's no religion or politics allowed so things stay focused on discussing games and fun and not on a perpetual battle about who is actually a Nazi.

The discussion on the comments of their podcast got bad enough that they broke up over it.

DaCosta:

Drathnoxis:

The discussion on the comments of their podcast got bad enough that they broke up over it.

I never really got that whole thing, because I've never seen anything that bad in the comments and most of the reasons given seemed like overreactions. Like claiming that the word "cunt" is inherently sexist, which is just dumb.

American Tanker:
RPGCodex.

That is all.

They're so toxic, though. So many people trying to be as rude and edgy as possible. I asked for good multiplayer third person shooters and the first guy told me to kill myself. It's anarchy.

To any admin or mod who reads this message

Communicate with users on what rules they do and do not want and keep this dialogue active permanently. Otherwise, GiantBomb is absolutely correct. And naturally, fix the broken-ass punishment system, remove fucking Rule 0, and remove those stupid rules against "aggressive" and "passive-aggressive" posts which can be used to punish any user or mod who ever posted in these forums; in other words those rules can be bastardized to attack anyone for any reason. Mods are users too; they are the Internet equivalent of police officers and I think we ALL know how well things go in the United States when we act like our police officers deserve special treatment. I am serious when I say, there really is little to no difference between a real-life government and a website's government beyond the difference of one being more immersive than the other.

Do all that, and that will be a good start. See my Escapist Review (received an oddly large amount of praise among users) if you want a good general idea of how we feel about the site right now: The Escapist Review. Maybe it's because I cut the rebellious rhetoric and kept it simple for the sake of maintaining my reviewer integrity, that people liked this particular set of criticism more than my normal statements regarding this site. I guess our users like reading concise balanced criticism more than unfiltered unchained criticism on steroids; though Yahtzee would make you think otherwise.

Although Wynn keeps saying "we" he does not represent me or my views. Ive been here a long time and had some strong disagreements without issue.

Im not looking to move and hope we can be revived away from defy. Having said that I always liked Shamus's content when he was here so maybe that is an option?

I'm cool with following any of you guys to where there can be political discourse. Even when those politics revolved around gaming, I always enjoyed posting here for those conversations. That said, once the moderation became too heavy, it really was hard to engage with anyone for fear of running afoul of the rules. I don't think we need lawlessness like the WW in a forum, but we do need its freedom to have conversations.

bjj hero:
Although Wynn keeps saying "we" he does not represent me or my views. Ive been here a long time and had some strong disagreements without issue.

Im not looking to move and hope we can be revived away from defy. Having said that I always liked Shamus's content when he was here so maybe that is an option?

Notice how upon clicking the link, you will find unanimous praise for that particular review. I know it is only initial reactions from a small few random people, but I consider that a decent indicator of what we overall think. If you however disagree with any aspect of that review, feel free to leave a comment on that particular review expressing why.

Epyc Wynn:

bjj hero:

Notice how upon clicking the link, you will find unanimous praise for that particular review. I know it is only initial reactions from a small few random people, but I consider that a decent indicator of what we overall think. If you however disagree with any aspect of that review, feel free to leave a comment on that particular review expressing why.

"Not entirely terrible" is not unanimous praise in my books. I mean, compared to your previous manifestos it's an improvement, but still.

The mods round here walk a fine line relatively well. Whilst I personally disagree with some of the warnings received, I can see where they were coming from. If anything, I don't think they do enough about the snide, bitchy, line-toeing passive aggressivity you get in quite a few topics.

On topic: Don't care. Probably go back to being a non-forumite and watching ZP wherever that may be.

I'll probably go to some Star Wars-related forum like TheForce.net and debate with my fellow nerds about pointless minutiae regarding the franchise. In other words just like here, only even more niche and probably more sanitized. That's okay by me as long as the rules are sensible and the mods are fair; I can get by without my arsenal of swears.

Nothing personal, but I don't really know anyone in the Escapist community well enough to actively seek them out should it go under. That's not on any of you guys (well, maybe a few who shall remain nameless), that's on me. I'm just not the type of person who makes lasting friendships with strangers over the internet.

That said, I plan to stick around as long as I'm capable of posting. I mean, have you seen how many goddamn subforums and sub-subforums there are on TheForce.net? It makes this place look downright minimalist.

Drathnoxis:

People's reluctance to discuss politics is probably a big reason why people are so stupid about them.

Catnip1024:

Epyc Wynn:

bjj hero:

"Not entirely terrible" is not unanimous praise in my books. I mean, compared to your previous manifestos it's an improvement, but still.

The mods round here walk a fine line relatively well. Whilst I personally disagree with some of the warnings received, I can see where they were coming from. If anything, I don't think they do enough about the snide, bitchy, line-toeing passive aggressivity you get in quite a few topics.

On topic: Don't care. Probably go back to being a non-forumite and watching ZP wherever that may be.

Ya know, there's a good reason governments don't outlaw passive-aggression. Passive-aggression can be interpreted from anything, passive-aggression can often be entirely justified, women are known for partaking in passive-aggression more so than men meaning that rule goes against the interests of women on this site, criticism cannot occur effectively if passive-aggression is not allowed.

Having rules against microaggressions only contributes to the notion this is a Social Justice Warrior site and we need to nip that perception in the bud while we still have the chance to. I recommend just learning to accept the passive-aggressive communication rather than trying to make rules to attack it. We need to favor free speech and treat it as a serious force to be respected.

On all counts by our own rules, Yahtzee would've been banned from our site for his vehement passive-aggression. No fucking shit people are passive-aggressive on a site dominated by the culture surrounding him.

Signa:

I love how being center-left makes me a right-winger. And a nutjob at that!

Hey, they told me being center-left makes me a feminazi Marxist cuckold I thought?! So confused.

Epyc Wynn:

The opinions of the outspoken minority does not speak for the opinions of the silent majority. You'd do well to learn that

Epyc Wynn:

bjj hero:

Good try, Im not necroing your thread from months ago. I also don't interpret the comments as unanimous praise. More as "not as bad as your usual posts".

That is far from being the views of most people on this site. I didn't even claim my views represent to majority. I said you are way off on my views. So how about less "We" statements Wynn, and you talk about your views. You are no community rep, you've done no research on members views. You are not even "right", just one opinion in a sea of many.

I would even go out on a limb to say a lot of people here think your many suspensions here have been justified, when you loudly proclaim they are unjust.

I've decided on mine and alerted those I cared to of its existence.

I already post there more than I do here.

"If I'm reading this right, they also seem to be implying that they might relax their rules which is the last thing they need to do after those forums became such a Gamergate breeding ground. T

Pretty accurate description if you ask me. Not sure about the actual left/right ratio, but other than that... yeah.

Saelune:

Drathnoxis:

People's reluctance to discuss politics is probably a big reason why people are so stupid about them.

I've seen the stupidity, yes, but not so much the reluctance.

Shamus sums up my feelings pretty well with his:

Rock, Paper, Shotgun is where it's at. Although I will probably be staying here until this place goes under.

American Tanker:
RPGCodex.

That is all.

You have to post for a YEAR before they let you into the general discussion forum. Like, maybe a week or two, I could see, but a YEAR? No.

Days is doable. Weeks, maybe. Months, no. Years, forget it.

As Soupreme Leader, I declared our next forum Giant in the Playground.
Weebs will go elsewhere.

Arnoxthe1:
Rock, Paper, Shotgun is where it's at.

So what's so great about RPS anyway?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: