Has public opinion on Batman The Brave and The Bold changed also whats your thoughts on said series

When Brave and the bold came out people were crapping on it because it wasn't the dark Batman Tas however as time changed I hear that lots of people really enjoy the series in fact some people like it better than TAs.

I'd say any hate it got died down rather quickly and it still remains a well liked show.

I went from "What the heck is this shit" to "this is the best thing ever" by the time I hit the first Aquaman episode, honestly.

I mean, I grew up on TAS, but Brave and the Bold knocked me out of the last bit of my "everything must be dark and gritty and mature" attitude.

That and Bruce Timm has been working really hard to strip away the remnant nostalgia I had for TAS, I still like the show, but that fourth series has stared feeling...off.

EDIT: Also, a lot of people, mostly heroes, just straight up died. BatB really showed the difference between a serious aesthetic and a serious show.

Almost nobody died in TAS or Beyond. The grit was set dressing.

I don't think it has? I mean, I'm not super into the batman fandom or anything, but from my casual perspective it seems like, aside from some initial distrust of the franchise, it's always been regarded as a pretty unique and enjoyable send-up of the silver age, which contrasts well with the grimdark direction the character had been pushed toward prior.

Its not my favorite series ever but going back to some episode I was surprised how good the animation could get.

I liked it from the moment I started watching it, but then I was late to the party and only took the plunge after the show was already cancelled.

I think BatB was the victim of bad timing. It aired just a few years after the finale of Justice League Unlimited, which marked the end of the widely beloved DC Animated Universe. It was inevitable that any subsequent DC cartoons would be held to the same standards that the DCAU had set rather than being judged on their own merits. It also arrived hot on the heels of The Dark Knight's release in theaters, when the public was enamored by "gritty" and "realistic" depictions of superheroes. I'm convinced that, had BatB aired nowadays with the more lighthearted MCU still rocking the box office and DC's dreary attempts at aping its success (and, as much as I hate to admit it, the runaway success of Teen Titans: Go!), it would have fared far better.

I watched it for the first time about a year ago. I had just watched Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad and had come out feeling weary of the dark and gritty superhero. So dour. So drab, despite the latter movie's awful attempts at injecting a sense of fun. I wanted something different, something lighthearted.

Then a user on here recommended I watch Brave and the Bold (sorry, don't remember who). It was exactly what I craved: a campy romp that shamelessly paid tribute to the cheesier and sillier aspects of Silver Age comics. I've rarely seen a show that takes itself so seriously by refusing to take itself too seriously. Wonderful stuff.

altnameJag:
I mean, I grew up on TAS, but Brave and the Bold knocked me out of the last bit of my "everything must be dark and gritty and mature" attitude.

I think the most poignant thing is that BatB is in some ways arguably more mature than most dark and gritty stuff.

Like you mentioned, there's the fact that people die in this series. Actually die. Not a 'maybe dead' or 'they'll be resurrected later', like superhero comics are wont to do. Death is final and it's treated with gravitas.

But my favorite moment comes at the very end of the series. We get to see all the characters one more time, alive or dead, and Bat-Mite and Batman talk about the cancellation of the show, about how it's the end, but it had a good run (a great one). That the next Batman show will probably go back to its dark roots and that's fine, because we'll always have BatB. A dignified and IMO genuinely mature way to wrap things up.

Ah, good timing, there is this Scooby Doo crossover that I actually do want to see!

Personally, that show as underrated! I mean not EVERYTHING about Batman has to be dark and gritty and liked it or not (especialy toward a certain naysayer on here), Adam West Batman is still relevent to the Batman we got today! I mean without that show, whose knows if Batman had continue to be this popular?

Anyway, I enjoyed the lighter tone of that series. I mean if I did wanted the usual serious Batman, I would go and rewatch TAS.

I just liked it was showcasing the lesser knows heroes and villains that got me to look them up in a good way.

By all means, TAS is still my favourite Batman cartoon but TBaTB is second best in my top list!

It's the best thing with Batman in it since the 90s, honestly. It's also a perfect storm of Silver Age when you want to explain that era of comics to people.

I thought it was brilliant before it was cool.

Shame Cartoon Network decided to kill Justice League Action before it even started, it looked like a real successor to the series.

It was a pretty good parody of Batman. Loved all the musical numbers!

I love it, though I wish I'd watched more of it before it got taken off TV... Hindsight sucks.

Never watched B:TAS but I tried watching Brave and the Bold with my daughter. We gave up very quickly. Seemed to be an extension of Adam West Batman

I've always had a soft spot for it.

Besides, it gave us this gem:

The few bits I've seen I found really entertaining. It's not Batman TAS but it's not trying to be.

It was pretty good it knew when to be over-the-top silly and when to relax and have real dramatic moments, plus unlike certain modern comic book movies it wasn't afraid to kill heroes when the story called for it.

Also best Aquaman EVER.

McMarbles:
I thought it was brilliant before it was cool.

Shame Cartoon Network decided to kill Justice League Action before it even started, it looked like a real successor to the series.

Action is still going.
I liked it.
The musical episode brings me such joy.

I think the show is heretical and an attempt to bring him down to the campy levels of Adam West Batman in all its gaudiness.

Batman must forever remain the Dark Knight, the vigilante that strikes fear into the heart of the criminal underworld.

And I say this as a guy that is tired of the oversaturation of Batman.

Samtemdo8:
I think the show is heretical and an attempt to bring him down to the campy levels of Adam West Batman in all its gaudiness.

Batman must forever remain the Dark Knight, the vigilante that strikes fear into the heart of the criminal underworld.

I'll let the show respond to that.

McMarbles:

Samtemdo8:

Is that...Stamper?
Just looked it up, its not him :(

@Samtendo

I don't think you have to worry about Batman losing his grimdark edge for as long as Zach Snider is managing the DCCU.

I enjoyed it.
I still have some heavy nostalgia for TAS and Beyond, with Beware being more underrated to me.

The new Justice League Action is also pretty enjoyable.

I love this series. Its probably my favorite of any Batman show.

Okay, here's the thing: I love Batman: The Animated Series. I agree with people as being the definitive Batman show, but I kinda think sometimes people forget about the show having a few bad or boring episodes.

Natemans:
I love this series. Its probably my favorite of any Batman show.

Okay, here's the thing: I love Batman: The Animated Series. I agree with people as being the definitive Batman show, but I kinda think sometimes people forget about the show having a few bad or boring episodes.

tbf, aren't we all like that with out favorite shows? We remember the good about it but rarely if ever recall the bad.

Dansen:

McMarbles:

Samtemdo8:

Is that...Stamper?

@Samtendo

I don't think you have to worry about Batman losing his grimdark edge for as long as Zach Snider is managing the DCCU.

No there is also the animated movies and comic books themselves that will maintain the Dark Knight in his proper incarnation.

Samtemdo8:

Dansen:

McMarbles:

Is that...Stamper?

@Samtendo

No there is also the animated movies and comic books themselves that will maintain the Dark Knight in his proper incarnation.

Can't tell if ironic...

jhoroz:

Samtemdo8:

Dansen:

Is that...Stamper?

@Samtendo

Can't tell if ironic...

I know what you are thinking "If you know that there will still be Dark and Gritty Batman in Animated Movies, Theatrical Movies, and Comic Books, why are you complaining about Brave and the Bold?" 3 things:

1. Brave and the Bold is to Batman is what Teen Titans Go is to Teen Titans for me. And all this talent and great animation into making Brave and the Bold is wasted on making a campy re-hash of 60s campy Batman instead of making something as awesome as the old Animated Series or the old DCAU in general.

2. That people keep highlighting Brave and the Bold as the best thing ever that it will send messages to WB that all DC things should be like Brave and the Bold.

3. I just needed to vent my frustrations on something after going through 50+ days with no electricity and internet in my house after that Hurricane.

And let me tell you guys, a Category 5 Hurricane did not change your old pal Samtemdo8, I am still a DC biased fanboy that prefers DC to be adult and mature like Watchmen and abhor anything campy and lame like Brave and the Bold.

Or at the very least just remain like the DCAU.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here