Your most Unpopular Media Opinion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Exley97:
Prometheus is great and is one of the best science fiction movies of the decade.

[ducks under desk]

I don't agree that it's the best of the decade, but I sure as hell enjoyed it.

spacemutant IV:
I love the Akira movie, which many people do, but I also think it's much better than the comic book.

The movie has more memorable artistic weirdness, and the sound just adds so much. Ryu also gets a way better ending in the movie, whereas in the books he just sort of gets forgotten about after the halfway point. And despite the movie ending on destruction I find it more satisfying than the book's, which left an incredibly sour taste in my mouth. I like that the movie ends the way it begins, bringing the whole experience full-circle. And the movie implying Tetsuo became a seperate existing universe always gives me goosebumps.

Exley97:
Prometheus is great and is one of the best science fiction movies of the decade.

[ducks under desk]

I wouldn't call it the best myself, but I did greatly enjoy that movie.
Unlike the latest Alien movie it atleast didn't blatantly copy the script from Alien and Aliens.

kitsunefather:
I find the Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition so boring that I can't play them. Maybe they get extraordinary after the first hour, but I can't make it that far. While I play, all I can think about is all of the other things I could be doing with this time.

No, no, that's about right. They're both packed to the brim with busy work, collecting, and just general faffing about.

I think the "Amazing Spider-Man" movies are better than the "Spider-Man" movies (even if you disregard the train wreck of Spider-Man 3)

It all comes down to Adam Garfield and Emma Stone just nailing their roles. Tobey Mcguire did okay for the time but looking back he kind of over-acts, whereas Garfield is much more natural in the role. Plus their relationship felt much more real than the one between Peter Parker and Mary Jane.

(I also think the Amazing Spider-Man 2 would have been a better movie if it were mostly a romantic comedy and only tangentially featured superhero stuff)

I like the Shadow the Hedgehog video game. Not ironically, I genuinely enjoyed my time with it. Aside from the tedium of killing every Chaos in the flashback stage, I found the stages enjoyable to go through. Not to mention, for shooter controls adapted to a platformer, the gunplay's actually pretty decent.

Kyrian007:
Southland Tales is a really good movie, no movie Richard Kelly has ever been involved in has been anything less than brilliant.

No show HBO produced or aired before or since has been better than Carnivale.

DS9 is the worst Star Trek property. Worse than any of the individual shows or movies.

Legend of the Seeker and The Dresden Files are better ways of adapting a series to television than A Game of Thrones.

I had way more fun with Final Fantasy VIII than I did with VII.

RaikuFA:
Fallout 4 is not as bad as people make it out to be, dubs aren't bad.

I can get behind that. I'll even add that crafting makes Fallout better.

I don't mind it but fuck Adhesive and aluminum.

the December King:

Exley97:

[ducks under desk]

I don't agree that it's the best of the decade, but I sure as hell enjoyed it.

Poetic Nova:

I wouldn't call it the best myself, but I did greatly enjoy that movie.
Unlike the latest Alien movie it atleast didn't blatantly copy the script from Alien and Aliens.

I certainly didn't expect the first two responses to this to be postive. But hey, it's good to hear. I always enjoy meeting/reading others who have an appreciation for that movie.

I found Half-Life to be a rather boring game, even back in the day.

Overwatch is overrated as hell, with most of the interesting character stuff in it just being fan headcanons that've spread out and about. It's a fuckin' barebones games by itself.

Dark Souls wasn't that good of a game, with most of the difficulty coming from bad balance (see how easy it is to break the game with Magic and/or Heavy Armour) and shitty hitboxes. Also, sweet music, but fuck me the sound design in it was fucking awful.

I really enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition, and found it to be more compelling than The Witcher 3. Not that the Witcher 3 is bad, I just... liked the Inquisitor and their band of merry men WAY more than Geralt and the usual fuckos he hangs with on a day-to-day basis.

Firefly wasn't that good, suffering from the usual problems with Whedon's writing, and I'm pretty sure it's only remembered fondly because it was cancelled early, everyone likes Nathan Fillion and people were still riding the Buffy high.

Exley97:

[ducks under desk]

It wasn't one of the best for me, but I did find myself enjoying it despite how much everyone wanted me to hate it - it had some fuck-ups but also had some solid ideas to it, and I was interested in all the stuff about the Engineers it did.

...the part where the dude who mapped the caverns got lost was a little stupid though, likewise with the dude who saw a penis snake and immediately went 'IMMA TOUCH IT'. Like, I know scientists can get a little excited about their work but come on.

CoCage:
Dragonball Super is a glorified fan fic and more of the same bullshit. The Buu saga is worse than GT. At least GT tried to capture the adventure of the original Dragonball.

...Yeah, honestly, following the current arc and the Supreme Bullshit that is Jiren, and the previous bullshit involving Zamasu, I'm... really struggling to see why people didn't like GT. At least Baby and the Dark Dragons were entertaining antagonists.

And I preferred SS4 over SSGSS. Seemed more... grounded, at least in the sense that enemies who could compete with SS4 didn't have to be dimension-warping gods or whatever bullshit of the week they are in Super.

I liked Prometheus too. More than I liked Blade Runner 2, actually. Makes me wonder what a Scott-directed BR sequel would have been like.

As I just commented in a related topic, my unpopular opinion:

EA isn't nearly as bad as gamers make them out to be.

I quite like Timothy Dalton's James Bond movies.

Wrex Brogan:

CoCage:
Dragonball Super is a glorified fan fic and more of the same bullshit. The Buu saga is worse than GT. At least GT tried to capture the adventure of the original Dragonball.

...Yeah, honestly, following the current arc and the Supreme Bullshit that is Jiren, and the previous bullshit involving Zamasu, I'm... really struggling to see why people didn't like GT. At least Baby and the Dark Dragons were entertaining antagonists.

And I preferred SS4 over SSGSS. Seemed more... grounded, at least in the sense that enemies who could compete with SS4 didn't have to be dimension-warping gods or whatever bullshit of the week they are in Super.

I was pretty much done with Dragon Ball as soon as Super Saiyan God was introduced. I watched Resurrection of F out of curiosity, but I haven't watched anything Dragon Ball since that. From the bits I've picked up about Super it all sounds so stupid to me.
Dragon Ball GT was a complete mess, shot full of plot holes, continuity errors, and dangling plot threads, but it was still fun to watch. And while I always hated the overall look of Super Saiyan 4, I will agree it is much more, grounded as you say, than the nonsense of SSGSS and whatever.

Let's see:

The Minions are the worst thing to happen to animated films in almost a decade, and Illumination has never made a good movie.
I've never liked any Will Ferrell movies.
I liked Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.
Facebook and Twitter are stupid, and Twitter has ruined the internet.
I've never watched Game of Thrones, and I have no intention or urge to do so.

Ezekiel:
I liked Prometheus too. More than I liked Blade Runner 2, actually. Makes me wonder what a Scott-directed BR sequel would have been like.

What is happening right now? Am I in the Upside Down? The Dark Mirror universe? Did I jump under my desk for *nothing*? WHERE ARE ALL THE PROMETHEUS HATERS???

Wrex Brogan:

Exley97:

[ducks under desk]

It wasn't one of the best for me, but I did find myself enjoying it despite how much everyone wanted me to hate it - it had some fuck-ups but also had some solid ideas to it, and I was interested in all the stuff about the Engineers it did.

...the part where the dude who mapped the caverns got lost was a little stupid though, likewise with the dude who saw a penis snake and immediately went 'IMMA TOUCH IT'. Like, I know scientists can get a little excited about their work but come on.

Yup. Despite my love of the film, I totally agree with this. That scene should have worked better, as it was inconsistent with what the movie had already established about Millburn (he wanted to get the F out of there with Fifield). However, I've posted this in another thread here a few months back, but it bears repeating -- there's a scene that was cut from the threatrical version that shows the team when they first arrive inside the structure, and Millburn discovers the bugs/worms/whatever that eventually get mixed with the black goo and become the snakes, and he's super excited because, as the movie explains, it's the first recorded discovery of life outside of earth, and the bugs/worms are totally harmless. So that kind of explains why he would go from scared tosuddenly excited when the snakes show up. In fact, I think during the audio commentary, either Spaights or Lindelof even acknowledges that the snake scene doesn't work because they cut that 30-second or so segement earlier in the movie. Oh well....when Ridley does a Director's Cut of the film in a few years, he can add that back in (and hopefully more of Janek).

Exley97:

Ezekiel:

What is happening right now? Am I in the Upside Down? The Dark Mirror universe? Did I jump under my desk for *nothing*? WHERE ARE ALL THE PROMETHEUS HATERS???

Wrex Brogan:

Exley97:

[ducks under desk]

Yup. Despite my love of the film, I totally agree with this. That scene should have worked better, as it was inconsistent with what the movie had already established about Millburn (he wanted to get the F out of there with Fifield). However, I've posted this in another thread here a few months back, but it bears repeating -- there's a scene that was cut from the threatrical version that shows the team when they first arrive inside the structure, and Millburn discovers the bugs/worms/whatever that eventually get mixed with the black goo and become the snakes, and he's super excited because, as the movie explains, it's the first recorded discovery of life outside of earth, and the bugs/worms are totally harmless. So that kind of explains why he would go from scared tosuddenly excited when the snakes show up. In fact, I think during the audio commentary, either Spaights or Lindelof even acknowledges that the snake scene doesn't work because they cut that 30-second or so segement earlier in the movie. Oh well....when Ridley does a Director's Cut of the film in a few years, he can add that back in (and hopefully more of Janek).

I, too, appreciated Prometheus, despite the faults. One thing that annoyed me personally was the young man in old man make-up. It's like the easiest problem to avoid...just cast an old actor! There's no shortage of them! It looks incredibly distracting. But yeah, still good though.

Oh, these guys covered it quite well, explaining more in depth against the online hate it received, while remaining critical;

Xsjadoblayde:

Exley97:

Ezekiel:

Wrex Brogan:

I, too, appreciated Prometheus, despite the faults. One thing that annoyed me personally was the young man in old man make-up. It's like the easiest problem to avoid...just cast an old actor! There's no shortage of them! It looks incredibly distracting. But yeah, still good though.

Oh, these guys covered it quite well, explaining more in depth against the online hate it received, while remaining critical;

I think it's now safe to say that my unpopular opinion is that I do not like Prometheus. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that you folks enjoy it. It's just not for me.

ObsidianJones:
I haven't seen Logan. I never really liked the Wolverine character as much. But in so, while Logan is great, the Fans made me dislike the X-men movies with their wolverine love as well. There's a way to do the X-men series while still holding onto the core selling point of the X-men: The entire cast. Everyone has a favorite X-men, and everyone wanted to see their favorite in action.

What did we get in X-men? Here's what Wolverine thinks of everything. Your favorite character is Colossus (he's mine), sorry, we need to cut him for more Wolverine Scowling. Hey, do you like Cyclops? Great! He'll be featured more than the rest because Wolverine needs someone to make fun of!

Logan means more spotlight on Wolverine. I already have had almost two decades of that. And yes, it might be a terrific movie, but I'm oversaturated at the IDEA of Wolverine that I don't feel I can give this movie a fair look. The same can be said about Kevin Hart, who was funny in like... two movies until I realized all he has is that he's short and loud. Likewise, Spiderman is my favorite Marvel character, but we also have near two decades of reboots with him that I haven't even wanted to try to see something of his for years.

Batman Vs Superman exists for the fans' needs for superiority. The Dark Knight Rises only heightened Batman's popularity, but there is almost NO fan base as rabid in trying to prove their hero is better than Batman's fans hatred of Superman. I can't even count the number of heroes there are... So why don't we have Spiderman vs Logan? Captain America VS Logan? Hulk vs Thor would give people the high end destruction they want. Civil War was just a storyline from Marvel, so I won't count that.

Writers sat down and thought up a scenario that they could get Superman and Batman to fight because they know the one sided rivalry between the fans. Superman and Batman are best friends who trust each other implicitly in the comic books. But a team up between them wouldn't sell as many tickets as a pissing contest between them.

The X-Men movies have never really been that good and it's hardly Wolverine's fault for that. And, an "origin"/first X-Men movie with Wolverine as the audiences' POV character was a great idea. FOX really could've easily done what Marvel did and 10 years or so earlier with making an X-Men cinematic universe with a bunch of solo movies (as there's lots of characters that are favorites) and obvious team-up movies. I'm pretty sure a lot of X-Men characters were much more popular than say Iron Man and Thor prior to the MCU. And, the X-Men cinematic universe could've lead up to a "proper" Phoenix saga with introducing all the space characters and stuff.

Again, I'm no comic book aficionado but don't fights happen quite often between characters just for the fun factor? The DC animated movie Justice League War had a fun fight scene between Batman and Superman (it was actually their first time meeting) where Superman one-upped Batman every time. And, the X-Men obviously get in squabbles all the time. I'm sure Spiderman and Wolverine have fought because I'm pretty sure they even did in the Spiderman animated series back in the 90s.

Anyway, it seems like you have let other people make you not like Batman honestly. If you have an issue with Bats and Supes fighting, you can just not read that comic book or watch that movie. I don't like Superman just because I don't think he's that good of a character, which has nothing to with Batman.

Cycloptomese:

I think it's now safe to say that my unpopular opinion is that I do not like Prometheus. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that you folks enjoy it. It's just not for me.

It's not unpopular in the winterwebs...it's more assumed that nobody likes it because of the internet backlash being so strong.

That a ton of news is actually legitimately fake and no I do not support the Republican party, I just don't take things at face value.

Xsjadoblayde:

1. Even though this was supposed to be an UNPOPULAR media opinion, I'm enjoying the Prometheus appreciation.

2. Yes, as much as I love Guy Pearce (he is, after all, my avatar here) that seemed like a weird choice, especially since Weyland only appears as his younger self in the separate TED talk short (which should have been in the movie, but that's beside the point). But there were a couple things going on. First, Ridley Scott wanted Max Von Sydow to play Weyland in the original version of the script. Then in the later version, the script had sections where David speaks to Weyland in his dreams while he's in the hypersleep chamber, and in his dreams he's still a younger man. However, they scrapped these scenes because they rightly determined they were kind of frivolous. So they kept Pearce and instead shot the TED talk stuff for the teaser video.

3. This was a good video, thanks for sharing it.

marioandsonic:

Facebook and Twitter are stupid, and Twitter has ruined the internet.

Twitter, reddit, tumblr, toss them all in there.

Phoenixmgs:

The X-Men movies have never really been that good and it's hardly Wolverine's fault for that. And, an "origin"/first X-Men movie with Wolverine as the audiences' POV character was a great idea. FOX really could've easily done what Marvel did and 10 years or so earlier with making an X-Men cinematic universe with a bunch of solo movies (as there's lots of characters that are favorites) and obvious team-up movies. I'm pretty sure a lot of X-Men characters were much more popular than say Iron Man and Thor prior to the MCU. And, the X-Men cinematic universe could've lead up to a "proper" Phoenix saga with introducing all the space characters and stuff.

Again, I'm no comic book aficionado but don't fights happen quite often between characters just for the fun factor? The DC animated movie Justice League War had a fun fight scene between Batman and Superman (it was actually their first time meeting) where Superman one-upped Batman every time. And, the X-Men obviously get in squabbles all the time. I'm sure Spiderman and Wolverine have fought because I'm pretty sure they even did in the Spiderman animated series back in the 90s.

Anyway, it seems like you have let other people make you not like Batman honestly. If you have an issue with Bats and Supes fighting, you can just not read that comic book or watch that movie. I don't like Superman just because I don't think he's that good of a character, which has nothing to with Batman.

I agree with you on the X-men movies. Where the Avengers movies did better than the X-men is that every character had at least a moment in the Avengers. Again, the writers made Wolverine the focus as he was the most popular.

I have issues with stunts.

Heroes fighting each other are usually to sell comic books. There's nothing of lasting substance, there is no character built from it... It's a collective issue attempt. And I despise them.

Lastly, you feel that way because possibly you don't like my statement. And that's cool. However, like I said many times before, I don't care if I don't like the most popular kid on the block. But I hate that we at large forced to not only deal with him because he is the most popular, but we're supposed to believe truly insane things about him because he is the most popular.

It's the Ensemble Darkhorse trope, and it's one of my most hated.

Family Matters was about a hard working family dealing with day to day stuff until Urkel tested high and we got Urkel-o's

Leonard was supposed to be the main star of The Big Bang Theory, but Sheldon took the spot easily.

Abed's evolution ruined Troy's character from being a jock who is trying to figure out himself and his life now that he doesn't have to be a star all the time to turning into Abed's lackey.

Happy Days... The Fonz... A brother was written out and it was no longer about Richie growing up. Just everyone look at how cool the Fonz is.

The Eddie Winslow fans, the Troy fans, the Richie fans be damned. We got the star. Write them less, give the Darkhorses more.

And to be frank? I own all the Batman Games. I love the Animated Series. I love Batman where Batman should be. Local/Street Level crime. When you take him to Universal Threats and say he can go 'Toe-to-Toe' or at least hold his own with beings like Freaking Darkseid. A Being that doesn't pull any punches. A Being that can match Superman's reflexes and power. A being that can shoot Omega Beams that can destroy anything and keep pace with the flash... But Batman can dodge them, soak some of Darkseid's blows and not be made into pudding. Basically no reason that he shouldn't be dead already other than that he's Batman and he's popular.

Batman resets and takes out threat. If Darkseid struggles with putting down a human easily, why does any Hero with Powers struggle with him? How can he be the big bad when he's so inconsistent? Batman, by virtue of how he's written to appease the fans, creates that inconsistency. That illogical leap we all have to take because "He's the Goddamned Batman". I'm not on board with that.

* One area I'll give Resident Evil games is that they show zombies have no business being a threat to modern militaries.

* The MCU Captain America is a sanctimonious hypocrite who measures his self worth by his ability to inflict violence against people. He's attempted to con his way into the military, lied to his friends, recruited terrorists, disobeyed orders for emotional reasons and his military career is a joke.

* I liked Space Jam and Loonatics Unleashed.

* Joss Whedon hasn't evolved past Buffy.

I don't like star wars, not even the original trilogy.

I also dislike half life to the point where there are times where someone will praise the game and I'll feel like I'm taking crazy pills because they bring up elements of it I find lacking or outright bad as points in its favor.

Exley97:

[ducks under desk]

Prometheus as a standalone movie is fine, maybe even very good compared to most of the tripe that passes for horror now. It just falls flat as a prequel to Alien, which is unsurprising since there were only two good movies in that franchise (Alien and Aliens). AvP and Requiem are decent too, but not really part of the main franchise.

As for my opinions? Clerks sucked, much like everything else Kevin Smith has ever made, and had maybe two good lines. The Witcher 3 is enormously overrated and controlled so horribly I couldn't get past the first string of missions. Kong: Skull Island was horribly disappointing against what I'd hoped for, and was cringey as fuck with the references to the original (I actually have no idea what people think of that movie, to be honest). And to echo what a lot of people have been trying to get at, Lord Of The Rings is overrated and the movies would have been much better with less time spent following Sam and Frodo.

With everyone complaining and comparing NV and F3, everyone forgot to realise that New Vegas has poor choices and consequences. Everything up to the city of NV is a tutorial and thus your choices about how to appoproach the game are limited. It's like your own training wheels. Obisidian did it again in Pillars of Eternity. I'd wish they went back to Alhpa Protocol. Your character's motivation is lacking and it's set in a Western and you aren't allowed to create a posse. Who thought that was a good idea.

Witcher 3 still needs a lot better quest design and please stop punishing me for exploring. Let me play it my way. Yennefer is a very evil character.

Star Wars was only seen as good becuase it's meant to be black and white morality (like Lord of the Rings) compared to the grey of most of the 70s.

Captain America 1 is a crime. By far the worst film of the MCU.

ME3 ending was average. But what I found silly was when people complained that the ending was a surprise. They literally were telling you what the ending was since you left Earth.

West world is a pretty average show and way too predictable. Why was anyone surprised the staff were robots? Or who the Man in Black was? Meuverne, or whatever her name was, storyline was the biggest waste of time.

The first Avengers movie and the early MCU movies are massively overrated. The MCU didn't get good until Winter Soldier and Guardians

Ravinoff:
Prometheus as a standalone movie is fine, maybe even very good compared to most of the tripe that passes for horror now. It just falls flat as a prequel to Alien, which is unsurprising since there were only two good movies in that franchise (Alien and Aliens).

Prometheus has problems as a film but what I really like about it is that they tried, it was a genuinely interesting concept for a film and they tried to do something different. One of the things I hated most about Alien Covenant (which is by the way legitimately one of the worst films I've seen in years and that shocked me) was that they backed right away from the whole Prometheus storyline and went with a bland, boring Alien prequel like the idiots called for after the first film.

Exley97:

1. Even though this was supposed to be an UNPOPULAR media opinion, I'm enjoying the Prometheus appreciation.

2. Yes, as much as I love Guy Pearce (he is, after all, my avatar here) that seemed like a weird choice, especially since Weyland only appears as his younger self in the separate TED talk short (which should have been in the movie, but that's beside the point). But there were a couple things going on. First, Ridley Scott wanted Max Von Sydow to play Weyland in the original version of the script. Then in the later version, the script had sections where David speaks to Weyland in his dreams while he's in the hypersleep chamber, and in his dreams he's still a younger man. However, they scrapped these scenes because they rightly determined they were kind of frivolous. So they kept Pearce and instead shot the TED talk stuff for the teaser video.

3. This was a good video, thanks for sharing it.

Guy Pearce is a dedicated actor and a little underutilised in this case. But that's a legitimately more interesting reason than I considered for his curious presence in the film. Must have missed the pre-release promotional material completely there.
Ehh, I don't agree with all the video posted, such as that everything needs a direct explanation without allowing the imagination to connect the dots. But they're generally pretty on point otherwise. Too much entertainment, especially from the US, relies on needing to explain everything instead of implying. There is a noticable difference between pretentious nonsense and a narrative vision that utilises restraint in justifying itself that some seem to unfortunately confuse, maybe from a less active imagination? I don't know.

"I don't want to see the Switch become a port machine!!"

... Umm, actually, I really do. Yeah, have original games for it, but there are games I want to play everywhere and not have to lug around my 17 inch laptop.

I want my old 90's fighting games. There's no reason we're not able to play Third Strike and/or Capcom vs SNK 2 anywhere. And with Wireless Play? The idea that I could be waiting for my flight and some guy sees that I'm beasting with Dudley, pulls out his Switch and goes "First to Three" Fucking. Excites. Me.

I literally have goosebumps at that thought. I grew up in the Fighting Arcade scene (sadly, I only got decent after Arcades died). But even beyond that, with the gyroscopic functionality of the joycons, I honestly want the Switch to be the device that revived the Light Gun genre. Zelda and Splatoon shows us that the capability is there. The World of Goo and Little Inferno show how frightening close we can be to using a single joy con as a light gun. I'd even consider buying higher priced Joy Cons with updated and precise gyroscopes and possibly a dock attachment if I would be able to get better aiming functionality with it. I think that would help make the switch become an FPS console.

I want to experience my games everywhere. And Especially the Games that I love and can't find any more. The Switch can sate that need, so I will buy every functional port of games that I like that comes on the system in hopes they make more.

... WHY DOESN'T THE SWITCH HAVE 3RD STRIKE YET?!

Unpopular opinion... I really like the Rabbids / Lapins Cr?tins cartoons. I think they follow in the best traditions of Tom & Jerry.

I unironically enjoy Creed and Nickelback.

Hell, a Creed song (Never Die) ranks as one of my all-time favorite and a Nickelback song (Never Again) resonated so strongly with my dad, who was abused by his father along with his mother, that it brought him to tears.

I get people disliking them. But eh. Never got the consistent, unrelenting internet hatred of 'em either.

Xsjadoblayde:

Exley97:

Ezekiel:

Wrex Brogan:

I'm not going to fault anyone for enjoying Prometheus, but you do realize that you have a film about a trillion dollar space mission manned by a crew of morons essentially based on cave drawings and blind faith, and helmed by the worst scientists in the history of man. Also it's backed by Mr. Weyland because of the vague promise of extending his life.

The Force Awakens wasn't that good.

The Star Wars Original trilogy was just ok. Not awful mind you, but I didn't think it was great either.

Harry Potter I found incredibly boring.

Carrie Underwood sucks horribly.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook