Do you like turkey?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Honestly, it's just harder, thicker, less tasty chicken.

Not particuarly, for the reasons you described.

No, but I dont like alot of foods.

Not really, it was born from a collapsing empire so its stability has always been an issue, and as a result the coup that happens every generation to keep the Islamists from taking power was a predictable necessity, and now that that has failed it continues its downward spiral towards becoming a failed state.

Zontar:
Not really, it was born from a collapsing empire so its stability has always been an issue, and as a result the coup that happens every generation to keep the Islamists from taking power was a predictable necessity, and now that that has failed it continues its downward spiral towards becoming a failed state.

....What? Are you high?

OT: I love turkey.

Zontar:

Guess I should have written "nb4 someone mentions the country." It was expected.

It's awesome when done right. It can be done poorly like any other food. But man, Thanksgiving dinner with the family, and sometimes Christmas dinner with the turkey they make...~

I quite like it. It makes for killer sandwiches. And homemade Turkey Noodle Soup is just divine.

Zontar:

Don't forget its asinine refusal to fess up to the Armenian Genocide.

I for one like turkey meat. It's not my go-to eatin' bird on its own, but I often buy the turkey iterations of lunch meats, hot dogs and bacon for its lower fat content. At the risk of sounding heretical, I actually like turkey bacon more than its pork counterpart, as it's not nearly as greasy.

Come to think of it, is this about Christmas or Thanksgiving turkeys?

Because turkeys don't like Christmas,
That should come as now surprise.
They always ask why human beings,
Can't pick on someone their own size.

To sit beside potatoes,
In an oven isn't fun.
And a turkey feels mortified,
To know it's being done.

Um, I think it must be an acquired taste because to me it doesn't taste like anything.

I'm Australian, and turkey isn't as big as chicken or beef cuts/pullings for sandwiches and the like. You can get turkey easy enough, but it doesn't seem to move anywhere near the bulk of other cold cuts.

I think it's like a lot of foods. If you grew up with it, yuo'll see something in it. If you didn't, then you won't.

It is ok though it really depends on how it is prepared. My grandparents on my mother's side do it best, especially when you add some of their homemade gravy.

Less tasty chicken? Hardly.
Turkey absolutely has its own flavor, and it is more subtle, and I can appreciate it.
I've always been one for liking more subtle flavoring anyway. In America, everything is either too salty, too sweet, or too fatty and can sometimes make me feel sick. Turkey doesn't do that nearly as often as chicken, and it's much less greasy.

However, it can be difficult to prepare it in a way that doesn't make it too dry.

And if I ever get a craving for more flavor, turkey's subtle flavor goes remarkably well with good quality mayonnaise on a sandwich. Not miracle whip though, the kind of people that use Miracle Whip on anything, let alone turkey, are insane animals who should have their mental state evaluated before they do more damage to society.

I much prefer a roast chicken to a roast turkey.

Zontar:

This aint Wild West.

Well, you didn't specify what kind of turkey OR how it's prepared, so speaking from the various dishes and lunchmeats that this could involve...yes.

EDIT:

gigastar:

Zontar:

This aint Wild West.

For once, I'm going to defend Zontar and point out that harmless punnery is perfectly acceptable here. I was thinking it myself.

Yeah turkey is nice, I don't eat it myself any more except on very rare occasions (I don't eat meat but if someone cooks me a turkey without realising I'm not going to turn it down) but turkey is good as long as it's cooked properly. You just need to cook it without drying it out and save the giblets for gravy.

Never thought I'd be in the minority for loving turkey... yet here I am. XD

Chicken can't compare to turkey, my man! Dark meat? Light meat? All good! Lightly salted. Put it on bread with a little miracle whip? Boom! Heaven.

Huh? We are talking just the meat flavour alone here? Chicken meat being renowned for its' bland taste to the point where it is oft considered essential to add anything to it to make it somewhat servable, in comparison to a meat that, while not bursting with zesty bud bursting bollocks, has at least something going on there that is distinguishable on its' own? Am I in opposite world again? Or is this an American food quality standard issue once more?

Ehh, either way, both serve useful when starving to death, so whatevs. If I were serving to others though, I would feel obligated to add more flavour to the chicken than turkey to compensate. Unless I needed to disguise the turkey for whatever reason.

Not really, I'd rather have a ham.

I didn't use to, but my sister found a way to prepare it where it's actually very tasty.

I wouldn't say I dislike it, but I would rank almost any other meat over it. It can be quite nice as part of a proper roast, though.

Uk here and no, I don't liked them. I just find them too dry for my liking so I view turkey as overrated meat.

what a bunch of weirdos. it's literally my favorite meat. what's wrong with all of your taste buds?
if i still ate meat, i'd probably have walked to the store to get some just at it's very mention.

It's fine, I guess. Not my favorite, but I don't dislike it either.

I like it on Thanksgiving, I don't like that you're stuck eating it for a week and a half afterward.

FalloutJack:

gigastar:

Zontar:

This aint Wild West.

For once, I'm going to defend Zontar and point out that harmless punnery is perfectly acceptable here. I was thinking it myself.

And i agree, but lets be honest getting into political topics outside of R&P and WW doesnt usually end well.

Yes, I am eating it now.

gigastar:

FalloutJack:

gigastar:

This aint Wild West.

And i agree, but lets be honest getting into political topics outside of R&P and WW doesnt usually end well.

What I'm saying is that on this one occasion, it's political humor, not discussion. A one-off. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I think that was the intent.

Yeah I like turkey. The trick to Turkey is pretty much the same as it is with lamb, in that you need to be very careful with how you prepare it. Do it wrong and you get a dry, gummy and tasteless experience (which is still better then the taste of eating wool you get from badly cooked lamb). Do it right and you get a lean but flavorful experience that stands up well to other forms of white meat.

Not a fan of it, I much prefer chicken. Or better yet, duck. Can't get better fowl than duck, and the only bird meat that is tastier still is ostrich.

DeliveryGodNoah:
Not miracle whip though, the kind of people that use Miracle Whip on anything, let alone turkey, are insane animals who should have their mental state evaluated before they do more damage to society.

balladbird:
Put it on bread with a little miracle whip? Boom! Heaven.

FIGHT!

My ole man has a big deep fryer that he can stick a turkey in for about forty five minutes and it comes out juicy and tasty and it's basically the best thing on earth. I want nothing to do with that dried out thing that comes out of an oven.

I have no idea really as I've never had Turkey before.

Zontar:

That's basically a more elaborate version of what I wanted to post. So I'm actually gonna give a serious answer:

Yes, I really like fowl in general though I prefer duck. I haven't had Turkey very often though, it's usually duck or goose that we eat on festive occasions.

As per usual, it depends.

We don't do Thanksgiving over here. It's much too close to Christmas, anyway. So, the festive big ass family turkey isn't a thing here.

If you talk supermarket super cheap turkey meat... yeah, I know. There are issues, as with all things cheap. Still, it's an affordable staple for a lot of folks. I've seen it as low as half the price of chicken meat. Also bear in mind that one dead turkey makes for, what, 4-8 dead chicken, when it comes to the sheer quantity of meat? That one turkey goes a long way when it comes to feeding a family.

If you raise and feed your own turkeys, you'll notice it still doesn't taste like much on its own. But they're fun aliens to hang around with for a while. Very strange creatures.

It's also pretty much the bird form of lean pig meat, for the folks that don't feel like partaking in the pig eating business. So that's a plus, I guess.

I consider turkey to be quite versatile. I mostly use it in a curry, when feeding a bunch of people that don't demand things to be very fancy. You can use all the big chunks of meat in the curry, have select parts around for grilling and hang on to the bones and other bits for great stock.

So, yeah, I respect the turkey. Turkey, not so much. Sounds like the Horde is making a comeback over there.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here