Going back to being just plain, normal gamers.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

The Decapitated Centaur:
I'm not even sure what that's about (I have no intention to watch youtube arguments or whatever) but quite frankly normal people never had an issue with this. I just go around freely considering myself a gamer and not worrying about this stuff outside these forums

some words have negative and positive connotations. It's how language works.

I stopped the video after the first two minutes, where the guy spent the entire time not talking about being okay to be a gamer, and instead used the time to dig up a long dead horse to give it yet another flogging. He shows us a clip of Anita Sarkeesian where she talks about shitheads who won't stop bothering her with the same lazy arguments over and over, and then uses it to complain about Anita not engaging with him over his arguments. Perceptive one, that Troy.

Also, what the hell is a plain normal gamer?

Vendor-Lazarus:

The vast vast majority of characters are undoubtedly just a face. They are blank slates.
That you project them to be non-gay say more about your views than not.
How about working some of that magic of projection the other way?
Suddenly, entire genres are filled with your preferred type.

I'm talking (obviously) about the vast majority of characters-- not just in games, but in literature and film and across other media-- who do display some kind of attraction or romantic partnership.

When it comes up, it is almost always opposite-sex. And yet people get their knickers in a twist when a tiny minority of them aren't opposite-sex, and it's suddenly "shoving it in everywhere". It's a stunning lack of perspective.

Lufia Erim:

The Decapitated Centaur:
I'm not even sure what that's about (I have no intention to watch youtube arguments or whatever) but quite frankly normal people never had an issue with this. I just go around freely considering myself a gamer and not worrying about this stuff outside these forums

some words have negative and positive connotations. It's how language works.

I mean you do understand that saying that on its own is dumb, right? I don't believe gamer has any general connotation that's changed due to this shit.

The only ones causing people to stop "being just plain normal gamers" and to go online frothing at the mouth with rage that some nobody woman made a youtube series or some non-white guy working at a game company made a tweet is themselves.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here