The Batman Question

Basically if you could cast anyone as Batman, who would you want to see don the cape and cowl?

It's sorta a social experiment and lead to quite the discussion over social media with someone wanting to see Janelle Monae as Batman and she replied saying she'd want to play the Joker. I'd personally love to see Monae as the Joker because she is one of those people I feel is truly an artist. For Batman, I personally don't really know who I'd want to see play Batman. Apparently Jon Hamm and Idris Elba were really popular choices and I think they could both be great Batmen.

I want Clint Eastwood as an 80ish year old Bruce Wayne for a Batman Beyond movie.

FUCKING DO IT. Clint Eastwood only has so long to live!

Phoenixmgs:
I'd personally love to see Monae as the Joker because she is one of those people I feel is truly an artist.

"Truly an artist" encompasses a lot of people who wouldn't make good Jokers, doesn't it?

I'd like to see in the same movie Christian Bale, Michael Keaton, George Clooney, etc...who else played Batman? Like a time travel movie where all the different Batdudes have to... do something? I don't know comics.

Anyway, Russell Crowe. In my movie Batman got fat and lazy for... reasons. Like I said I don't know comics.

I don't care who physically wears the cape and cowl, but when they open their mouth, it better be Kevin Conroy's voice coming out.

Johnny Novgorod:

Phoenixmgs:
I'd personally love to see Monae as the Joker because she is one of those people I feel is truly an artist.

"Truly an artist" encompasses a lot of people who wouldn't make good Jokers, doesn't it?

I said that more due to her being a true musical artist (as that's what I know her mainly as) in writing and composing as she makes concept albums based on Metropolis, there's few true musical artists in the industry. Based on her music videos and stage performance, she'd definitely bring a unique and interesting physical presence that I think would work extremely well for the Joker.

It's time for Batman Beyond live-action with Kevin Conroy actually playing Old Bruce.

Wintermute:
I'd like to see in the same movie Christian Bale, Michael Keaton, George Clooney, etc...who else played Batman? Like a time travel movie where all the different Batdudes have to... do something? I don't know comics.

Anyway, Russell Crowe. In my movie Batman got fat and lazy for... reasons. Like I said I don't know comics.

Andy Samberg.

And he's in like a cheap dollar store knockoff 'Bat Hero' Halloween Costume.

Because at least that would be entertaining.

Honestly guys Batman is such a brooding nonentity you could probably just put the costume on a frowny mannequin and the audience wouldn't be able to tell the difference. A lot of people hated Ben Affleck quipping in Justice League but I liked that because like 'HOLY SHIT! PERSONALITY!'.

So yeah as long as he's a buff white guy I think anyone can be Batman, I imagine the casting call goes like this:

'Can you wear this costume?'
'Yes'
'Can you growl and frown a lot?'
'Yes'
'Can you throw a punch?'
'Yes'
'We found our new Batman!'

I just hope if they do recast Batman they find a Batman who can inject a little bit of humanity and personality into the character because right now he is one of the least interesting super heroes to me, though granted that might just be because I'm so sick of hearing about him.

Though it is funny that Batman, Warner Brother's tentpole character who they refused to put down for five minutes to focus on another hero for nearly a decade suddenly crashed and burned in their 'cinematic universe' and Wonder Woman who they have been neglecting for DECADES ends up becoming the MVP of their entire movie franchise. That's hilarious.

Sorry, a tangent.

But yes, Andy Samberg as Batman, and Andre Braugher is there as Commissioner Gordon constantly shouting:
'Batman that's ENOUGH!'

Jason Bateman, just for the pun.

Dirty Hipsters:
I want Clint Eastwood as an 80ish year old Bruce Wayne for a Batman Beyond movie.

You're crazy! Jeffery Dean Morgan as Bruce Wayne!

FalloutJack:
It's time for Batman Beyond live-action with Kevin Conroy actually playing Old Bruce.

Not a terrible idea

I'd love to see Peter Capaldi as The Batman and David Tennant as The Joker.

FalloutJack:

Much as I love Conroy as Batman, I'm going to have to debate that. Great for the voice, but he doesn't have the physical presence the role needs.

In a spectacular bit of irony, I'd say he would be a better physical fit for an older Joker...maybe an older Tim Drake...or both.

Pete Holmes probably. His Badman skits are great, and I like the idea that the movie portales are how batman sees himself, and everyone else sees a demented, barely good intentioned, rich psycho, leaning more on the side of necessary evil for Gotham than a hero. Kind of like lego batman, but with a PG13 to R rating and taking the piss out of serous Batman. Plus him and his people really knows how to stretch that production budget to do quality work.

Does it matter? You don't go to a Batman movie to see Batman. He's usually the least interesting character in his own movie

Dirty Hipsters:

FalloutJack:

I want a Batman Beyond movie. I don't care who will play who. After that, i can be done with Batman altogether.

Souplex:
(...)Bateman, just for the pun.

Asita:
Snip

Eh, a little make-up, he can play the part of 'old man who's actually badass'. Could work.

Tanis:
I'd love to see Peter Capaldi as The Batman and David Tennant as The Joker.

That would be pretty interesting and would probably have to mainly show off Batman's detective skills.

Dwayne Johnson.

Jason Momoa

Michael Cera.

And Idris Elba, naturally.

The trick is to cast someone who can play a convincing millionaire playboy and can learn basic fight choreography.

trunkage:
Does it matter? You don't go to a Batman movie to see Batman. He's usually the least interesting character in his own movie

Second that. Well, excepting for Adam West...he didn't stand out on that film, but he wasn't overshadowed either.

Jeff Bridges in character as Rooster Cogburn.

You know, of all the cinematic versions of Batman I don't think there was one actor who didn't bring anything interesting to the role.

Adam West is mostly remembered as a joke but for as silly as his Batman was, his Bruce Wayne was actually very good. I always thought he could have done a fine job playing a more serious version of the role. There was kind of a class and dignity to his performance

Keaton was portrayed him more vulnerable and unhinged, quite fitting with early Tim Burtons gothic horror sensiblities. And he made Batman and Bruce really feel like two seperate entities.

Val Kilmer is probably the most underrated one. He had the perfect look and I think he was a great choice for a more lighthearted Batman. Not as tortured as Keaton though still with his damons, can do a swashbuckling hero and a more grim, stoic caped crusader.

Clooney was a great choice for Bruce Wayne but a pretty bad choice for Batman, though I wonder what he could have done with a better script. Just like the movie went back to the sensibilities of the Adam West era, so did his performance.

Bale did a fine job turning Batman into a believable character. It's easy to make fun of the voice but he had a strong presence. In a lot of ways his interpretation was an evolution of Keatons, one that didn't entirely capture what made Keatons so great but brought enough to the character to make him interesting. For all the faults of the Dark Knight movies, Batman himself was allowed to have an arc in them, which is pretty novel for them.

Affleck did fantastic work turning Batman into an antihero , even a villain in BvS. He did a pretty good job giving us a grim, hateful, violent Batman that still seems human. BvS approached Batman as a broken man with deeply internalized trauma who uses violence as an escape and Affleck was believably bitter, deterministic and grim.

So, who's gonna be next? Depends on where they're gonna take the character. Jake Gyllenhaal could pick up where Bale left of and probably do a good job in a movie more focused on Batman as a character rather than the things he reacts to. John Hamm... eh, not crazy about him. Probably fine for a more lighthearted, humourous take. Idris Elba... well, I'd be ready to bet on the dark horse (no pun intended) but will the world accept a black Batman? Worth a try, I think he'd do a fine job as an actor.

If they do Batman Beyond though... well, I know we're all thinking Eastwood, here me out though: How about giving Clooney another chance? He may not have been much of an active Batman but aging Bruce Wayne? I think he could nail it.

FalloutJack:

Asita:
Snip

Eh, a little make-up, he can play the part of 'old man who's actually badass'. Could work.

"Old man who's actually badass", sure. But the guy is tall and thin. He has more of a soccer/football player's wiry build than a gymnast's build, and I feel that even a retired Batman should lean more towards the latter than the former.

You don't hire an actor to play Batman, you hire an actor to play Bruce Wayne. Any asshole can buff up, wear a face covering mask, and put on a gruff voice. The acting chops don't come out until they take all that shit off and they have to act out a determined, crime fighting genius who pretends to be a playboy. That's why I liked the idea of Ben Affleck taking the role, because he can get smug, rich idiot down to a tee. Unfortunately Snyder wants him gritty and unfun all the time, so he doesn't fit the script given to him.

Batman suggestions? Actually George Clooney once would have been ideal! I've never actually Seen Batman and Robin, but if you put that film from your mind, you could see why he might have fit the mold in the 90s, based on what I said above. Yes he absolutely can play a fun loving ladies man with a dark secret. Otherwise, Affleck! Just give him an actual decent script.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here