Reddit username suggestions are amazing!

Every one is solid gold!

AlphabeticAfterimage
UnfairMaiduguri
AvidArgyroxiphium
NonhierarchicalPei
NonrepresentativeDol
AbuzzHeartbreaker
ArabicDenial
SuffusiveFortnight
CementitiousDay
InterdepartmentalBop
UnmodifiedWorkman
MacrencephalicSlam
IterativeHalophile
UmberYacca
EndogamousGnetum
UnforethoughtfulTen
PiagetianTwelfthtide
ImmunosuppressiveOto
NonrecreationalFilth
CounterclockwiseChi
InextinguishableMot
ImmunocompromisedEye
EquiprobableIgnition
UnobjectionablePawn
DepressingMistake
UncompartmentedBob
PostmenopausalSpree
ArchNarcoterrorism
CoalescentFox
BuffTank

I don't know what half of them mean, but holy crap are they awesome!

DepressingMistake

How do they know what my Mum calls me?

Ha haaaaaaaaa...

*Sobs internally

Reddit is a site that is infested with 45 year old manchildren who have not left their mother's basement since that dawn of the decade. They are obsessed with anime, videogames, and the worst aspects of 80's America (particulary the cinema). The userbase lacks any sense of empathy, and are incredibly hostile to ousiders. This hostility, combined with permanent bans for slight infractions, has lead to the sites rapid and terminal decline. I am convinced that the site will not live to see the end of 2010. Honestly, there are better things to do with your time in 2009, and a man of your caliber can contribute much more to our glourious site.

Good post as always though.

TLDR: my jimmies were/are rustled.

This reminds me of that of that list of words and phrases that would make good names for fictional bands that I keep.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
...I am convinced that the site will not live to see the end of 2010...

Well have a seat friend. You've missed so much these last few years, none of it good. Let's start with Gangnam Style released in 2012...

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
Reddit is a site that is infested with 45 year old manchildren who have not left their mother's basement since that dawn of the decade. They are obsessed with anime, videogames, and the worst aspects of 80's America (particulary the cinema). The userbase lacks any sense of empathy, and are incredibly hostile to ousiders. This hostility, combined with permanent bans for slight infractions, has lead to the sites rapid and terminal decline. I am convinced that the site will not live to see the end of 2010. Honestly, there are better things to do with your time in 2009, and a man of your caliber can contribute much more to our glourious site.

Good post as always though.

TLDR: my jimmies were/are rustled.

I didn't really want to go to Reddit, but I just haven't been feeling like my discussion needs are being met here any more. It's pretty disappointing to type up a big long post on a game and only get a handful of short replies. I'm not leaving the Escapist though!

I have a caliber? Please, do tell me more!

PsychedelicDiamond:
This reminds me of that of that list of words and phrases that would make good names for fictional bands that I keep.

I used to have one of those but I think I lost it :(

Someone should make a thread...

Silentpony:
Well have a seat friend. You've missed so much these last few years, none of it good. Let's start with Gangnam Style released in 2012...

You should have been here for it man. It was an intense six months. I couldn't walk the ten minutes from my apartment to my job every morning without hearing that song blasting out of some phone or cosmetics shop at least eight times.

I still like Psy though. His newer stuff is kinda catchy even he will never achieve the same level of viral weirdness that he did with Gangnam Style.

Drathnoxis:
I didn't really want to go to Reddit, but I just haven't been feeling like my discussion needs are being met here any more. It's pretty disappointing to type up a big long post on a game and only get a handful of short replies. I'm not leaving the Escapist though!

I have a caliber? Please, do tell me more!

Here's the thing you have to understand about Reddit: while there are tons of smaller subreddits that sometimes have some interesting stuff, a lot of the time that place is style over substance. It's the ultimate example of postmodern emptiness, just a mirror reflecting all the worst aspects of modern day nerddom and pop culture. Take a look at any given post that makes it to the front page and the top comments are almost always whomever got there first before it blew up and had something mildly witty or intelligent sounding to say. Then the chain continues with pop culture/Reddit inside joke references all the way down until you're about ready to jump out a window. Proper, well-thought out responses get buried under a mountain of this kind of garbage. It's the personification of that one kid in high school that did nothing but watch anime only to belch up quotes at every instance possible instead of trying to have an actual conversation with people.

I posted for about six months before realizing how pointless it was. Usually I would comment on news stories about North Korea, as I live in the ROK and while I am hardly an expert I've probably read more books on the subject than your average person. Comments that typically went against whatever narrative was "correct" by all the armchair generals would get downvoted all to shit because the system is effectively a popularity contest. Usually this was going against the narrative that the US had to do something now before it's too late and damn the tens of thousands that would potentially die in Seoul should a second war start. It's amazing how many people have a boner for war.

The time that I got fed up, some wiener suggested that reunification could be just like what happened with East/West Germany. When I pointed out all the reasons why that wasn't true (including linking to an in depth discussion in ANOTHER subreddit) the person I was arguing with linked to a news article that actually supported my POV once you read past the first paragraph and was literally the second link in a Google search on the subject and some study that was behind a paywall. I provided heaps of links and an actual lengthy quote from a book about North Korea but because my argument went against the general grain of the way the post had been going, I got downvoted into oblivion.

TL;DR used to post on Reddit, jimmies got rustled, realized that there was rarely any value or honest discussion and that Reddit was basically a giant version of this Toothpaste for Dinner comic.

Chewster:

Here's the thing you have to understand about Reddit: while there are tons of smaller subreddits that sometimes have some interesting stuff, a lot of the time that place is style over substance. It's the ultimate example of postmodern emptiness, just a mirror reflecting all the worst aspects of modern day nerddom and pop culture. Take a look at any given post that makes it to the front page and the top comments are almost always whomever got there first before it blew up and had something mildly witty or intelligent sounding to say. Then the chain continues with pop culture/Reddit inside joke references all the way down until you're about ready to jump out a window. Proper, well-thought out responses get buried under a mountain of this kind of garbage. It's the personification of that one kid in high school that did nothing but watch anime only to belch up quotes at every instance possible instead of trying to have an actual conversation with people.

I posted for about six months before realizing how pointless it was. Usually I would comment on news stories about North Korea, as I live in the ROK and while I am hardly an expert I've probably read more books on the subject than your average person. Comments that typically went against whatever narrative was "correct" by all the armchair generals would get downvoted all to shit because the system is effectively a popularity contest. Usually this was going against the narrative that the US had to do something now before it's too late and damn the tens of thousands that would potentially die in Seoul should a second war start. It's amazing how many people have a boner for war.

The time that I got fed up, some wiener suggested that reunification could be just like what happened with East/West Germany. When I pointed out all the reasons why that wasn't true (including linking to an in depth discussion in ANOTHER subreddit) the person I was arguing with linked to a news article that actually supported my POV once you read past the first paragraph and was literally the second link in a Google search on the subject and some study that was behind a paywall. I provided heaps of links and an actual lengthy quote from a book about North Korea but because my argument went against the general grain of the way the post had been going, I got downvoted into oblivion.

TL;DR used to post on Reddit, jimmies got rustled, realized that there was rarely any value or honest discussion and that Reddit was basically a giant version of this Toothpaste for Dinner comic.

Please give me a better alternative, where I can get some decent discussion about a lot of obscure stuff. I don't really like the format of Reddit at all, and how threads sink so fast, but nowhere else has the user base, that I know of.

Also I was really hoping that "man of caliber" thing would be explored more. Was pretty curious about that.

"CounterclockwiseChi" is almost inspired.

Drathnoxis:
-Smerp!

Obviously I'm a bit jaded so take my rant with a grain of salt but your best bet is to find a few interesting smaller subreddits and start posting. They tend to be less toxic and more interesting in my experience.

The problem is, generally, people don't comment much in them as the front page is where all the action is. Search around a bit and you could probably find some that are moderately populated though.

As for being a man of caliber, well, I don't know you from Adam but I'm sure you're all right.

Good luck!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here