Is anyone else alarmed over the Disney Fox deal?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I mean, aren't people usually wary of mega corporations? It seems a good portion of the internet would rather prance around like idiots because their bloated fictional universe got expanded than the fact the one company gets insane amount of control over entertaiment people are exposed to worldwide.

Edit: For the unaware, http://collider.com/disney-fox-deal/

Ummmmm...what?

Count me in as someone who is paying attention to what's going on, and don't like it. Our entertainment and news outlets keep getting narrower every year. Soon, we will reach the future predicted by Idiocracy where federal departments are part of giant corporations.

Maybe getting X-Men and Fantastic Four in MCU? No, I am not alarmed, I am ecstatic.

What deal? Are they planning to merge? This thread is the first place i've heard about this. That'd not make things better, but Disney already is a bloated, omnipresent media company.

Also, i'm surprised that you're concerned about corporations gaining more and more power: Weren't you arguing in other thread that disasembling Net Neutrality is a no biggie?

MrCalavera:

Also, i'm surprised that you're concerned about corporations gaining more and more power: Weren't you arguing in other thread that disasembling Net Neutrality is a no biggie?

You noticed that too?

Disney's doing a good job for the most part in my book. They're not perfect by any means, but when you're as big as they are, it's impossible to be. Do I find myself wishing that they maybe didn't control so much stuff from time to time? Yeah, but that's more along the lines of new ideas getting sidelined than concern about brainwashing.
There will always be other forms of entertainment. There will always be other books, other movies, other websites--oh, wait. That last one might be a problem soon, but whatever, right? Two out of three isn't bad.

MrCalavera:

It's not so much power as influence, Net Neutrality won't create monopolies or make them disappear (if anything the increased revenue from it might create competition to break the current monopoly of USA internet service providers). This merge will definitely make a titan of a corporation.

Point #1: We could be getting the Fantastic Four and X-Men rebooted within the MCU.
Point #2: Disney is my childhood. They made Mary Poppins.

So I'm kind of okay with this.

I'm distrustful of pretty much everything big corporations do.

I'm more worried about the mega giant Asmodeusee eating up the boardgaming scene. They nommed up FFG in like 9 months.

inu-kun:
It's not so much power as influence, Net Neutrality won't create monopolies or make them disappear (if anything the increased revenue from it might create competition to break the current monopoly of USA internet service providers). This merge will definitely make a titan of a corporation.

No, it will just monopolise traffic access and easier create paywalls that will intrude on global markets of information access.

Seriously, I can just not watch stuff produced by Disney or Fox ... an international powerplay concerning the nature of the global marketplace of information access and global commerce is infinitely more frightening.

Once net neutrality dies, that will have problematic effects in terms of trade. Much like how big pharma in the U.S. blocks the importation of cheaper drugs that do the same thing, the end of net neutrality could create isolated internet bubbles preventing the free exchange of products and ideas that might cross international boundaries.

Moreover it transform the internet into possibly a new domain for which countries and large telcos can prosecute a seeming trade war both domesticallyand internationally. Fox and Disney merging to dominatemedia is less frightening than telcos simply telling you what you can access.

The funny thing is China might become the least artificially restricted internet user because of their great firewall and the propagation of their own regulated telcos and fibre optic networks than the U.S. once you have cross industrial usage of internet throttling anddirect web searching controls on the access to information.

In much the same way Americans pay four times as much for their life-saving meds as any other place I can think of, hopefully the death of net neutrality is only felt in the U.S. ... because if the U.S. sincerely wants a trade war with the rest of the world, it's a fight they will lose. But I have a sneaking suspicion that that fight to keep net neutrality a thing outside the U.S. will be eroded, particularly in developing countries that look to U.S. legislation concerning internet use and make their decisions based on that.

People only found out about this deal after negotiations fell apart and it was put an end to due to something behind closed doors between the two, so no I'm not alarmed. If they'd actually tried to go through with it, sure, but they didn't.

I have no idea where the collider gets its information from, but this news is over a month old and what made headlines was the fact it fell apart.

MrCalavera:
What deal? Are they planning to merge?

Fox has been planning to sell it's Movie Division and most of it's Television Divisions. They've been shopping around, and had negotiations with Disney that fell through, but are now back in negotiations. This deal with Disney would not include Fox News, or Fox Channel. It would include FX and 21st Century Fox.

On the one hand, Disney getting X-Men and Fantastic Four will only be a good thing for those franchises. On the other hand, things like Archer and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia might get cancelled or ruined by Disney. And on the third hand, I am really worried about the Duopolistic nature of America's Capital Enterprises.

"Is anyone else alarmed over the Disney Fox deal?"

Yes. The issues of monopolies aside, I saw what Disney did to Star Wars when it acquired it, and of Fox's properties, while I'm happy for Fox to lose Fantastic Four, I don't want the X-Men in the MCU, since the XCU has a different tone that would be lost if it made the transition (e.g. you wouldn't get any films like Logan). And as the article points out, Disney has a brand (family friendly), and most of what it produces conforms to that brand. Nothing wrong with family friendly material, but variety is the spice of life and all that.

Im less alarmed by this than i am at the prospect of a merger of AT&T and Time Warner.

Pfft, who cares about terrifying monopolies as long as I can see Wolverine meet Ironman in a movie!

gigastar:
Im less alarmed by this than i am at the prospect of a merger of AT&T and Time Warner.

What's so scary about that merger and why AT&T, a tech company, is merging with WB, an entertainment company?

Samtemdo8:

gigastar:

What's so scary about that merger and why AT&T, a tech company, is merging with WB, an entertainment company?

Time Warner is also an ISP I believe. Hence the worry of that merging with AT&T.
EDIT: Note, not an american so I may be wrong. Otherwise maybe the issue is the worry that if they merge AT&T will attempt to throttle competitors to WB.

Samtemdo8:

gigastar:

Right first up, Time Warner controls far more than just Warner Bros.

Second, AT&T controls a significant amount of media as well. Granted, not as much as Time Warner does but enough that the DoJ ordered that for the merger to go ahead then AT&T would need to sell DirecTV or Time Warner sell CNN.

I'm weary of Disney owning everything in general. Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar...

Well... if I can get a PC release of Marvel Vs Capcom 1&2 on PC out of this, since it'll put all the Marvel character licenses under one roof...

inu-kun:
I mean, aren't people usually wary of mega corporations? It seems a good portion of the internet would rather prance around like idiots because their bloated fictional universe got expanded than the fact the one company gets insane amount of control over entertaiment people are exposed to worldwide.

No, because we might get a Fantastic Four movie that isn't awful.

McMarbles:

inu-kun:

No, because we might get a Fantastic Four movie that isn't awful.

fuck the fantastic four I want some PROPER DOCTOR DOOM

Saelune:
Maybe getting X-Men and Fantastic Four in MCU? No, I am not alarmed, I am ecstatic.

I always wanted X-Men to be its separate universe, rather than putting them alongside the full Marvel universe.

The X-men stuff usually felt off from the main marvel universe stuff.

From the perspective of someone who loves the MCU, this is great.

I'll be interested in seeing what Disney does with Deadpool, though.

There are probably a whole host of business ramifications, but on a solely entertainment basis, i'm pretty happy.

inu-kun:

I'm definitely concerned. This deal has massive implcations for things beyond Marvel and whether or not the fucking X-Men get to cross over with the Avengers. It could influence everything from movie prices to streaming services. I'm guess antitrust laws will require some Fox assets to be shaved off the deal (ala AT&T's bid for Time Warner).

That said....if the chances of getting a proper Alien/Aliens sequel increase just a few percentage points, then I do kind/sorta hope the deal goes through in some capacity. For better or for worse, Disney is keenly aware of how much money can be earned from semi-annualized releases of popular IPs, and I doubt the company would pass up the chance to bolster the franchise.

as Nancy explained I am alarmed that a mother able to earn $8674 in a few weeks on the

internet . see............. ► Ec?o?n?o?m?y o?r ► Ma?r?ke?t N?e?w?s

http://www.Help80.Com

Ehh, is it really gonna make a difference if Disney is a 100 billion dollar company as opposed to a 90 billion dollar company

We smallfolk shouldn't concern us as the lords play their game of movies

I am just happy it's Disney buying 21st Century Fox, and not the other way around.

KissingSunlight:
Count me in as someone who is paying attention to what's going on, and don't like it. Our entertainment and news outlets keep getting narrower every year. Soon, we will reach the future predicted by Idiocracy where federal departments are part of giant corporations.

Disney's got what plants crave.

:^)

A Deal has been struck, but it now awaits Federal Approval. Considering who's in charge of the White House, I'm completely expecting this to go through.

Disney's about to become the most powerful Film Studio in the USA, and possibly the world. Walt Disney must have the biggest smile on his face in Heaven right now. (I'd say he'd have a grin in his grave, but he was cremated as far as I remember.)

Hey, remember when Disney blacklisted a newspaper from the Thor: Ragnarok premiere and all future screenings because they didn't like said paper's reporting on their resort's business practices? I'm sure them having a 40% stake in film and acquiring 60% of Hulu will in no way embolden these arbiters of corporate ethics.

Media is being monopolized and all people have to say is, "Yay, my movies about magic spandex men gets to combine with those other magic spandex men! New boxset of those movies that have been regurgitated and reswallowed for four decades!"

Like fucking children, man. Wanting nothing more than to wallow in the same stagnant water in your kiddie pool forever. I implore some of y'all to grow up.

What famous movie franchises does 20th Century Fox own other than the 2 Marvel franchises they possess?

Samtemdo8:
What famous movie franchises does 20th Century Fox own other than the 2 Marvel franchises they possess?

Alien franchise, Die Hard, Home Alone, Kingsman, Ice Age, Night At the Museum, Planet of the Apes, Predator, Avatar, Independence Day sorta counts since there are two films, X-Files and the rights to the original non-Special Edition Star Wars OT.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here