Man killed by police after angry CoD gamer SWATs player for lost $1.50 wager match

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/467049153.html

https://umggaming.com/m/4179723

They lose a CoD $1.50 wager match together which leads to threatening each other via SWATing
M1ruhcIe sent baperizer a fake address antagonizing him to do it
baperizer sent out the info to have it SWAT-ted
Innocent man dies

4/5/18 - Just wanted to add the following

https://patch.com/kansas/wichita/4-billboards-wichita-kansas-charge-police-deadly-swatting

Andy Finch is dead. If you believe in justice, it's time to file charges.

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Hopefully everyone involved sees some gaol time. And why the hell did police just shoot an unarmed man in an anonymous tipoff? When someone says 'swatting' I assume that meansactually trained armed response teams in general? Bit of control might be needed.

Apparently you shouldn't think or plan murdering someone personally, or hiring a hitman. Just anonymously inform on them to the police and make up a dangerous situation.

Well, if i was a betting man i would wager that the victim was a black man and thats why the SWAT team shot him dead :p

CannibalCorpses:
Well, if i was a betting man i would wager that the victim was a black man and thats why the SWAT team shot him dead :p

Victim was Andrew Finch

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kan-man-killed-cops-victim-swatting-prank-article-1.3726171

I've always said that it's not a matter of "if" but "when" a death is going to result from swatting, and here it is. Really messed up.

We all knew this would be the end result of this sort of "prank". I'd like to hope that this would give future swatters second thoughts about what they're doing, I won't be holding my breath though.

How about 20 years in prison for both of these complete wastes of space? If only because it's not yet possible to bring their victim back to life by slowly torturing them both to death.

Charge them with murder. Because that's what this was: murder by cop.

Jesus Christ, what is the matter with people?! I swear, they'd better lock up these scumbags up for life. Bet they'd be real popular in jail...

This was only a matter of that there time you have. Is it time yet to discuss how to combat this?

That cop sounds like a trigger-happy retard. Doesn't even try to look inside the building to verify the information? Possibly reaching to his waist? How hard is it to pull a trigger before the suspect can reach into his waist, lift his arm up and fire? You have the gun already aimed, and there are other cops with you. Retard. If they're so scared of being shot, why are they just bringing pistols?

How... does this happen? Like, the guy doing the phone call was claiming HE was the one with the gun, according to that video in the second link, and presumably gave the wrong address, that he got from the guy he was pissed off at. But he was calling from a completely different address right? Do they not check where the phone call is coming from and see something doesn't add up? Shouldn't they have gone to HIS address?

So then some poor sod opens his door, gets shouted at by a bunch of cops leveling guns at him, is rightly confused and probably scared and then gets shot for doing basically nothing?

Just... what?! The level of incompetence and mishandling of this whole situation is baffling. Everyone involved needs to be investigated and probably receive jail time, the two COD morons, the officers, the whole lot. Fucking insane.

Hawk of Battle:
How... does this happen? Like, the guy doing the phone call was claiming HE was the one with the gun, according to that video in the second link, and presumably gave the wrong address, that he got from the guy he was pissed off at. But he was calling from a completely different address right? Do they not check where the phone call is coming from and see something doesn't add up? Shouldn't they have gone to HIS address?

So then some poor sod opens his door, gets shouted at by a bunch of cops leveling guns at him, is rightly confused and probably scared and then gets shot for doing basically nothing?

Just... what?! The level of incompetence and mishandling of this whole situation is baffling. Everyone involved needs to be investigated and probably receive jail time, the two COD morons, the officers, the whole lot. Fucking insane.

Yeah. What's upsetting to me is that everyone here and on that news link is blaming the pranksters but no one is talking about the incompetence and aggression of the police. They don't even try to confirm the information? Cops in America are terrible.

With SWATing they usually report highly dangerous situations that the police don't have the luxury to verify every time if they want to save the supposed at risk lives. The individuals involved are often all very confused and the police going in are expecting possible resistance of the armed kind. It's just a muscle twitch away and it's not a situation anyone wants to happen. The fuckers who used an innocent man in the crossfire of infantile aggression and general bullshit need a death penalty for fucking with another life.

JoJo:
We all knew this would be the end result of this sort of "prank". I'd like to hope that this would give future swatters second thoughts about what they're doing, I won't be holding my breath though.

You give these inhuman garbage sacks too much credit. It'll spur people on more than anything I'm sure, because this is how some "people" choose to function (And I use "people" with the biggest quotations. Had to kill someone to save your life? Eh, I get it. Lost $1.50 in a bet and someone else got killed over it? Fuck em, no sympathy, no respect). Can't wait for some no life internet fucktards to see this as an opportunity because their mental imbalances inhibit them from understanding the value of someone else's life

Addendum_Forthcoming:
When someone says 'swatting' I assume that meansactually trained armed response teams in general?

Depends on the police force, some of them seem to want to be one of the cool police forces so they get a bunch of guys some black gear and call them SWAT.

Ok 3 questions:
1. What kind of asshole do you have to be to stick the SWAT team on someone over $1.50?
2. What kind of incompetent police force goes in guns blazing based on, what I presume, is a vague anonymous tip?
3. What the hell did that asshole tell the tip line (or whatever) to get the police to charge out to that address?

This is why both the police and gamers don't have a good rep. people.

I would blame two factors for this shooting. The first is the extreme irresponsibility of both people involved in the prank call - the first for providing a fake address, and the second for going through with the prank. The second factor would be that the police officer apparently interpreted a man lowering his hands to waist-height as a threatening gesture.

America has a severe problem with how police interpret "threatening gestures", because in America, almost anyone can be carrying a gun and almost any motion with the hands towards a place where a gun might theoretically be concealed can be interpreted as them reaching for a gun. And officers are trained to shoot first. That's how innocent people get shot in the doorway of their own homes.

But, as said, the ultimate responsibility lies with the pair who instigated the call in the first place. Swatting is an incredibly dangerous practice, and too many assholes do not realise this.

Hawk of Battle:

Phone tracing isn't usually done that quickly. Police don't have devices on hand that trace cell phone calls to their point of origin. They would have to get in touch with the service provider and find out which cell towers were being used and then take a guess at the location from there.

They could get the billing address of the cell phone's owner fairly quickly, but that's just the billing address. It isn't reliable at all. If the police are assuming they're dealing with a criminal, they will assume the billing address is inaccurate.

In an emergency situation, where you are literally deploying a squad of guys as the call is being made, none of that is feasible.

Ezekiel:
That cop sounds like a trigger-happy retard. Doesn't even try to look inside the building to verify the information? Possibly reaching to his waist? How hard is it to pull a trigger before the suspect can reach into his waist, lift his arm up and fire? You have the gun already aimed, and there are other cops with you. Retard. If they're so scared of being shot, why are they just bringing pistols?

Welcome to America. Where police officers aren't a public agency but more of a force of nature that can kill anyone they want as long as they vaguely place their hands anywhere.

Cops are cowards. End of discussion.

Jesus christ. How is SWATting not illegal now? They seriously should charge that motherfucker with murder or manslaughter, god damn.

The 911 SWAT call was released

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192244734.html

The bodycam of the shooting was released as well - violent content warning

Canadamus Prime:
Ok 3 questions:

I believe I can answer these questions.

1. What kind of asshole do you have to be to stick the SWAT team on someone over $1.50?

A Call of Duty player.

2. What kind of incompetent police force goes in guns blazing based on, what I presume, is a vague anonymous tip?

An American police force. 'Murica! Fuck yeah!

But seriously, a lot of our cops have a shoot first, ask questions never modus operandi. Once in a while, questions will be asked later. This kind of shit is far from confidence inspiring.

3. What the hell did that asshole tell the tip line (or whatever) to get the police to charge out to that address?

I believe it was something about an armed hostage situation.

I think it's mostly why cops get a bad rep. Gamers seem more likely to just call you names and act like shits. Not that this incident will help.

Thaluikhain:

Addendum_Forthcoming:
When someone says 'swatting' I assume that meansactually trained armed response teams in general?

Depends on the police force, some of them seem to want to be one of the cool police forces so they get a bunch of guys some black gear and call them SWAT.

Quizzically these are the same type of people that Trump wants to give AFVs to, right?

undeadsuitor:
Welcome to America. Where police officers aren't a public agency but more of a force of nature that can kill anyone they want as long as they vaguely place their hands anywhere.

Cops are cowards. End of discussion.

Yeahhhhh, how about we just don't make blanket statements like that, OK?

In fact, why don't we all just chill the hell out about the cops. I highly doubt the offending officer just got up one day and said, "You know what? I'm gonna shoot an innocent person today."

SWAT teams also simply don't have much, if any time to prepare their ops. They need to do their stuff and do it fast.

I'm amazed that this doesn't happened all the time. The next thing that we'll see is someone get killed live on Twitch. It's not a question of 'if' at this point.

Canadamus Prime:
Ok 3 questions:

I have but one answer. 'Merica

Ezekiel:

Hawk of Battle:

Yeah. What's upsetting to me is that everyone here and on that news link is blaming the pranksters but no one is talking about the incompetence and aggression of the police. They don't even try to confirm the information? Cops in America are terrible.

What I don't understand is if the cops are going to fire at a suspect? Why don't they fire at a non lethal area?

Like why can't this cop just shoot the suspect in the leg to cripple him so that they can at least arrest him while he's still alive. I thought the whole point of law enforcement in our modern day is catch the criminal alive first and then judge them.

But of course it would be better if they don't fire at all.

Don't really want to defend the police, but it isn't as if they can walk up to the front door and ask if there's a hostage situation going on. They can't handle the situation with kiddy gloves just because of an anonymous tip. As far as they know, lives are at risk. One man has already been shot and a woman is being held captive in a closet.

Samtemdo8:
What I don't understand is if the cops are going to fire at a suspect? Why don't they fire at a non lethal area?

Like why can't this cop just shoot the suspect in the leg to cripple him so that they can at least arrest him while he's still alive. I thougth the whole point of law enforcement in our modern day is catch the criminal alive first and then judge them.

Because it's unrealistic. No matter how amazing the officers aim is at the range, the stress and adrenaline of a real situation. The Officer can miss if they aim for the arms or legs, or the bullet does hit the target, passes through, and hits an officer or bystander on the other side. The wounded suspect also still poses a threat, because they can still fire on the officers or any bystanders still in the area. Unfortunately, without some insane luck, no officer can live up to the standards ingrained in us by Hollywood.

Captain Marvelous:
Don't really want to defend the police, but it isn't as if they can walk up to the front door and ask if there's a hostage situation going on. They can't handle the situation with kiddy gloves just because of an anonymous tip. As far as they know, lives are at risk. One man has already been shot and a woman is being held captive in a closet.

There are windows all around the house they could have used to verify the situation. They wouldn't even have to put their faces in front of possible gunpoint. They can use mirrors and other tools. If they had looked into those windows, they could have seen that he was doing nothing at all. They could have also listened in. And if you're ready to kill at the slightest sign of threat, maybe you should come with more armor and a shotgun so that you don't have to be so twitchy. If this keeps, shouldn't that be a message that they need to change their procedure? Cops in America are frightening. I don't know if I would have been smart enough not to get shot in the face too in such a confusing, scary situation.

Samtemdo8:

Like why can't this cop just shoot the suspect in the leg to cripple him so that they can at least arrest him while he's still alive. I thought the whole point of law enforcement in our modern day is catch the criminal alive first and then judge them.

Doesn't work...not just for US police, but for armed police the world over. You are only supposed to use your firearm if there is immediate threat of death going on, in which case you need to end the threat right now, so you fire body of mass until the target goes down.

If you've got time to try something fancy, you don't need to use your gun at all.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Thaluikhain:

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Quizzically these are the same type of people that Trump wants to give AFVs to, right?

Eh, they were getting pre-loved AFVs beforehand, a useful coincidence of the military having ones they didn't want to hang onto, and police wanting to look cool.

But yeah, US police are often into very enthusiastic military cosplay. It's not healthy, but appeals to a certain sort of "tough on crime" type.

Yeah, we knew this was coming. If you keep getting the police to charge people's houses on the assumption that something terrible is going on, then eventually somebody will die. As for what can be done, I think the following two things would be a good start:

1. Perpetrators of swatting should, as a general rule, be charged with attempted manslaugter and be punished appropriately. Given the dangers swatting poses I think prison sentences should be normal.
2. Police should be better trained to de-escalate situations. How precisely this is to be done, I don't know. Maybe look at places where the police kills few people and try to emulate whatever it is they are doing.

Pseudonym:
1. Perpetrators of swatting should, as a general rule, be charged with attempted manslaugter and be punished appropriately. Given the dangers swatting poses I think prison sentences should be normal.

Is attempted manslaughter a thing? Surely it's either manslaughter if someone dies, or attempted murder if not, but you were trying? Might be time to devise a new law for this, though.

Pseudonym:
2. Police should be better trained to de-escalate situations. How precisely this is to be done, I don't know. Maybe look at places where the police kills few people and try to emulate whatever it is they are doing.

Yes...though a good swatting would involve telling the police that things have gone out of control. Though, police are still supposed to be able to differentiate between victim and criminal even when criminals are shooting people for real.

De-escalation in general, though, yeah. Mind you, this used to be a thing they at least tried for, there are loads of official training stuff telling officers to do this, they just don't seem to be followed anymore.

Ironman126:

Canadamus Prime:
Ok 3 questions:

I believe I can answer these questions.

A Call of Duty player.

Thanks that really clears things up. ...actually it kinda does.

An American police force. 'Murica! Fuck yeah!

But seriously, a lot of our cops have a shoot first, ask questions never modus operandi. Once in a while, questions will be asked later. This kind of shit is far from confidence inspiring.

That's really stupid esp. in a situation like this. Again it's no wonder they have a bad rep.

I think it's mostly why cops get a bad rep. Gamers seem more likely to just call you names and act like shits. Not that this incident will help.

[/quote]
Gamers still aren't exactly looked upon in a positive light in the media if I'm not mistaken. I suppose attention has shifted to other things now now though.

Thaluikhain:

Eh, they were getting pre-loved AFVs beforehand, a useful coincidence of the military having ones they didn't want to hang onto, and police wanting to look cool.

But yeah, US police are often into very enthusiastic military cosplay. It's not healthy, but appeals to a certain sort of "tough on crime" type.

At this rate of evolution of force, the only consolation is by 2030 I fully expect police recruitment materials to be like this ...

That consolation quickly replaced with that growing sense of dread that reality is murdering satire.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here