Black Mirror Season 4

It was pretty underwhelming. That is all.

I always found the show underwhelming. Its just taking current headlines, changing one or two things, and...and that's it, and never in a fun way.
I mean would it kill them to, I dunno, do an episode about Russian getting Trump elected, but Trump is actually a giant preying mantis and eats people?
Or a clumsy immigration analogy episode, but instead of Nationals, we get...Robot Zombie Nazi Squirrels in tophats? Or shit, where's the Game of Thrones isn't a TV show, but real, prime-time Cable talk show with Daenerys asking teenage Dragons if they do drugs.

What a waste of an analogy show to just change one or two details.

Silentpony:
I always found the show underwhelming. Its just taking current headlines, changing one or two things, and...and that's it, and never in a fun way.
I mean would it kill them to, I dunno, do an episode about Russian getting Trump elected, but Trump is actually a giant preying mantis and eats people?
Or a clumsy immigration analogy episode, but instead of Nationals, we get...Robot Zombie Nazi Squirrels in tophats? Or shit, where's the Game of Thrones isn't a TV show, but real, prime-time Cable talk show with Daenerys asking teenage Dragons if they do drugs.

What a waste of an analogy show to just change one or two details.

Yeah... no, I actually like that they try to keep things "realistic". It's a good show, most episodes are good, but some are pretty bad. That black and white one in particular... just watch any post-apocalyptic B movie from the 80's about silly robots trying to kill humans.

I thought the first episode of season 4 was fantastic, an example of technological possibly taken to its horrible extreme with a gaming twist.

The best 'What If" stories often spin from a single change, a simple single change.

Mild spoilers, obviously.

I enjoyed the other seasons more, if only because the whole uploading your consciousness to a computer idea was more fresh. At least two of the episodes were hinged on that premise and I thought we all agreed that abusing copies of our own consciousness was bad after watching White Christmas.

That said, Hang the DJ was pretty heartfelt and Jimmi Simpson's acting in USS Callister was fucking incredible. I also enjoyed Black Museum as a rather dark culmination of most of the show's themes, even if the ending was predicable. The other ones I can't even remember off the top of my head if I'm being honest.

That said, I'll probably watch them all again to see if I feel any different about it later on.

I think Arkangel might be my favourite of series 4, if only because I've actually had a parent use technology to spy on me though not nearly as intrusively or extensively

The first two episodes were great, the rest were meh. Black museum reused a lot the concepts from previous episodes and Crocodile felt like it was trying too hard to have a shocking twist.

Haven't watched the last episode yet. Crocodile's twist had me laughing my ass off. What a stupid episode. Metalhead was boring. The other three I have seen were good/great.

My difficulty with Black Mirror is the wanton cruelty of some of the episodes. I will not be watching "USS Callister" or " Black Museum" because I do not need a reminded of bad humans are (especially after just completing my economics assignments on government, education, health care and bribes), nor do find any pleasure in watching this. "San Junipero" from Season 3, and this season's "Hang the DJ" while for the most part, I still see some lack of humanity and kindness in them.

Audraon:
My difficulty with Black Mirror is the wanton cruelty of some of the episodes. I will not be watching "USS Callister" or " Black Museum" because I do not need a reminded of bad humans are (especially after just completing my economics assignments on government, education, health care and bribes), nor do find any pleasure in watching this. ?San Junipero? from Season 3, and this season?s ?Hang the DJ" while for the most part, I still see some lack of humanity and kindness in them.

Adding to that, I thought "Shut up and Dance" from Season 3 was utterly depressing.

I enjoyed the season. I wasn't a tough sell, I love anthology series TV. But I did have one concern. Black Museum. There were enough callbacks and easter eggs from the rest of the series in Black Museum that it could be viewed as a natural "ending" for the series as a whole. And I don't want that, I'd like to see it continue. As far as what I thought about each episode...

Only watched the first episode of this season so far. I was never a huge fan of the series, with far too many of the episodes relying on taking a random contemporary thing, dialing it up to a ridiculous level, and then showing people suffering because of this ridiculous stupid thing: the "what if phones, but too much" gag. I don't have much patience for that, because the premise has to be idiotic to make the story work: a society that functions on rating people out of 5, or a society that punishes people for crimes but makes them forget both the crime and the punishment so that nothing is gained, a society that clones people's minds to torture them and put them in household appliances. Alternatively, they use the "reality bending brain chip" too often.

The primeminister fucking a pig was a smart one. San Junipero was too.

I haven't caught up after season 2. Partially because of how depressing some of the episodes are(mostly due to how cruel they feel at times) and this last year has been depressing enough.

Honestly, I can't say I'm too into Black Mirror since it's gone to Netflix.

I kinda feel like S1 and 2 were a lot more morally complex and interesting. S3 and S4 had a couple episodes like that, but, a lot of the episodes feel like they have a very distinct "Good" and "Bad".

Great show and after the first episode I logged back into Star Trek online and took my character and away team to Risa before I logged off.. Poor things

technically, artistically and emotionally, the entire show is damn impressive. Even the least it has achieved by far surpasses most other in the medium. They're really well made. What it does takes a lot of skill and effort, possibly the best contemporary sci-fi exploration available in little nuggets in my worthless opinion

[quote=Adding to that, I thought "Shut up and Dance" from Season 3 was utterly depressing.[/quote]

I just loved Shut up and Dance, but White Bear just kills me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here