Is this the worst plot twist ever?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

To try and be spoiler friendly I'm going to describe the twist but not tell you what it's from.

So it's from kind of a mystery/puzzle game. These characters were abducted and put into a sort of torture game. One of the prevailing mysteries is who is behind the whole thing. There is a spattering of clues throughout the game so you are trying to figure out who it could be the whole time. Could it be the plucky kid with a bucket on his head? Or could it be the cold and emotionless woman wearing enough clothes for 1/3 of an outfit? NO! Surprise! It was a comatose old man in a wheelchair that was conveniently off camera the whole game and nobody ever directly mentioned! Seriously. He was with them the entire game. The only one who didn't know was the player. He was right there, and presumably they were wheeling him around the whole time! But the player never sees him because the camera never looks at him, and none of the other characters ever actually talk about him for some reason! He wasn't hiding, he wasn't in disguise, he wasn't even invisible, he was just... off screen.

Like imagine you are watching an episode of Sherlock Holmes. He and Watson are going around looking at stuff and gathering clues, and then suddenly Sherlock turns around and points at the camera and shouts "Aha! The culprit was you Moriarty!" and Moriarty is revealed to have been with them, standing behind the cameraman, for the whole episode!

You can't tell me that you've ever seen a twist worse than that!

You've obviously never watched the movie "Monster A Go-Go". I'll just paste the Wikipedia description here:

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty damn stupid plot twist. Not sure what else to say. I mean, I guess it's one that no-one would ever see coming, but that's not a good thing. I think the best twists are those that actually are foreshadowed, but in ways so subtle that you don't even pick up on them, and only connect the dots with after the fact.

Drathnoxis:
To try and be spoiler friendly I'm going to describe the twist but not tell you what it's from.

So it's from kind of a mystery/puzzle game. These characters were abducted and put into a sort of torture game. One of the prevailing mysteries is who is behind the whole thing. There is a spattering of clues throughout the game so you are trying to figure out who it could be the whole time. Could it be the plucky kid with a bucket on his head? Or could it be the cold and emotionless woman wearing enough clothes for 1/3 of an outfit? NO! Surprise! It was a comatose old man in a wheelchair that was conveniently off camera the whole game and nobody ever directly mentioned! Seriously. He was with them the entire game. The only one who didn't know was the player. He was right there, and presumably they were wheeling him around the whole time! But the player never sees him because the camera never looks at him, and none of the other characters ever actually talk about him for some reason! He wasn't hiding, he wasn't in disguise, he wasn't even invisible, he was just... off screen.

Like imagine you are watching an episode of Sherlock Holmes. He and Watson are going around looking at stuff and gathering clues, and then suddenly Sherlock turns around and points at the camera and shouts "Aha! The culprit was you Moriarty!" and Moriarty is revealed to have been with them, standing behind the cameraman, for the whole episode!

You can't tell me that you've ever seen a twist worse than that!

I know the game, it's the kind of twists that are very YMMV. It's possible that if I replay it I'll find a lot of foreshadowing in how lines are written and to be fair the old guy was stuck with some deranged people who mostly cared about themselves.

Marik2:

That's pretty bad, but I'd say the ending to 2001 Planet of the Apes (which, to Tim Burton's somewhat dubious credit, he lifted right out of Pierre Boulle's novel) would give it a run for its money. I mean, there's poor writing, and then there's simply absurd non-sequitur that directly contradicts the plot.

That had me honest-to-God getting up in the movie theater and yelling "what the fuck was that?"

A man being possessed by the arm of a dead man(which he had surgically attached) is pretty dumb. Maybe not the dumbest twist, but it's up there.

BRRRRRROOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Dalisclock:
A man being possessed by the arm of a dead man(which he had surgically attached) is pretty dumb. Maybe not the dumbest twist, but it's up there.

Which turned out to be the man just pretending he was possessed by the arm of a dead man as part of a really convoluted plan to destroy the Illuminati ... I mean Patriots, and free the world from their control (which would unfortunately also cause widespread societal collapse, since the world had become dependent on it, but you know what they say about omelets).

Also, something about nano-machines.

We probably shouldn't go any deeper into the stupidity of Metal Gear plot. We'd never stop.

Auron225:
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty damn stupid plot twist. Not sure what else to say. I mean, I guess it's one that no-one would ever see coming, but that's not a good thing. I think the best twists are those that actually are foreshadowed, but in ways so subtle that you don't even pick up on them, and only connect the dots with after the fact.

Pretty much this. Good examples of this in games would be Bioshock and the Knights of the Old Republic. The only problem with both of those games is once the twist is revealed they spell out the clues for you because they assume the audience are morons and can't do it themselves.

Drathnoxis:
NO! Surprise! It was a comatose old man in a wheelchair that was conveniently off camera the whole game and nobody ever directly mentioned! Seriously. He was with them the entire game. The only one who didn't know was the player. He was right there, and presumably they were wheeling him around the whole time! But the player never sees him because the camera never looks at him, and none of the other characters ever actually talk about him for some reason! He wasn't hiding, he wasn't in disguise, he wasn't even invisible, he was just... off screen.

...Please don't tell me that's from

That twist sounds like the dumbest twist of all time. As a writer, I almost feel personally attacked by how shit and outright LAZY it is. XD

I dunno, I can think of a pretty dumb one...

Oh! That game! I loved it, but I do agree that that twist was kinda lame. Especially since we'd basically been building up to this revelation for three games, and the old man basically failed to be a hype enough reveal to justify it.

Still a great series, though. Death game meets suspense mystery

Thing is they wrote themselves into a corner the moment they decided to have that twist, like, if they showed the character like that earlier it would've been obvious they were the mastermind talking to them so he sorta had to be offscreen till late in the story.

Auron225:

I know the game OP's talking about, it is foreshadowed. His glasses show him what's going around the facility with cameras, and every scene in the game ends with a fade to a static, like CCTV. So you can look at the game like it was entirely within his perspective.

Plus, in previous games in the series, the word "nonary" is used a lot, as in 9 characters are participating, but this time it was "decision" which can mean 10.

Finally, the 9 main characters are split into three groups of 3, two groups are called C Team and D Team because that's the first letters of the names of the team leaders, but in Q Team there isn't anyone with a name like that of the 3 so it is hinted the team name is referring to a fourth person.

Not saying the twist was bad or good, but it was foreshadowed multiple times, and I didn't notice them while playing.

Well, it can't be any worse than if so & so wakes up and it was all just a dream.

Reminds me of the plot twist for Heavy Rain. And that was after the heavy editing of further ridiculousness. It's the writer literally making it up at the last minute in a desperate attempt to surprise.

Reminds me of getting to the true ending of Persona 4 you have to go and badger the gas station attendant you only ever talked to at the very beginning of the game.

CrazyGirl17:
I dunno, I can think of a pretty dumb one...

People like to bag on that twist, but I honestly thought it was pretty clever.

For me the worst plot twist ever was in Army of Two: Devil's Cartel

Chimpzy:

Dalisclock:

Which turned out to be the man just pretending he was possessed by the arm of a dead man as part of a really convoluted plan to destroy the Illuminati ... I mean Patriots, and free the world from their control (which would unfortunately also cause widespread societal collapse, since the world had become dependent on it, but you know what they say about omelets).

Also, something about nano-machines.

We probably shouldn't go any deeper into the stupidity of Metal Gear plot. We'd never stop.

I don't know if him faking it the entire time makes it better or worse, honestly. I'm honestly kinda baffled how nobody seems to find the whole thing particulary strange. Everyone is really stangely accepting of a man claiming to be possessed by a severed arm, instead of "Maybe Ocelot is just gone round the bend?" or even "He's just really desperate for attention ever since people got tired of his Russian roulette routine"

True. The fact that the next game usually retcons the plot of at least one of the previous games makes it even wierder. I could(and have) go on for a while on that particular issue.

Yes, Zero Time Dilemma was indeed, a pile of shit.

The twist is dumb, not because it isn't foreshadowed, but it's foreshadowed in the dumbest ways possible. Like, there's the occasional shadow of the guy in the wheelchair in some shots, but in some instances he literally has to teleport out of the camera's field of vision in the next shot for the gimmick to work.

He's also completely silent despite rolling around in a wheelchair, and is never mentioned or talked to or talked about by the people around him. How fucking convenient. Oh, but there's these minor hints of whatever and whogivesafuck when it comes to him being there. It doesn't matter, because for the twist to be even possible, things have to be so outrageously contrived for nobody to mention him directly, or for him to not be on camera. Leading to teleportation. I guess being a blind mute-deaf makes you pretty much invisible.

Also, there's the part where you can totally kill him via stupid shit with a crossbow. In what is clearly supposed to be a small easter egg once the jig is up and you go back to clear up some gameplay you missed out on. But if you're like me, and you get the stupid fucking name of the mystery character, you type it in as a lark in the aformentioned crossbow room. And, whoops I just bumblekinged into the plotwist, deflating it like a balloon. Yay.

And it's not like that's my biggest gripe with the game, 'cus atleast they tried somewhat with that twist, as opposed to the other abysmal garbage in the game.

Speaking of terrible plot twists in Metal Gear. Considering 'Shining Lights, Even In Death' was a great mission with a nice bit of emotional impact, the following finale was... wow. A bodyblow to the series compared to the rest of the retcons Kojima made to the series, but in the most disappointing way possible.

Dalisclock:

I don't know if him faking it the entire time makes it better or worse, honestly. I'm honestly kinda baffled how nobody seems to find the whole thing particulary strange. Everyone is really stangely accepting of a man claiming to be possessed by a severed arm, instead of "Maybe Ocelot is just gone round the bend?" or even "He's just really desperate for attention ever since people got tired of his Russian roulette routine"

True. The fact that the next game usually retcons the plot of at least one of the previous games makes it even wierder. I could(and have) go on for a while on that particular issue.

I don't remember the fandom's initial response to Ocelot's Liquid Arm in Sons of Liberty, as I still wasn't all up on the internet at that time. But I feel like after the reveal of Ocelot's parentage in Snake Eater and The Sorrow's ghostly abilities, people were more inclined to be like: "Yeah no Kojima, that makes total sense!".

Marik2:

No.

Aerosteam:
Thing is they wrote themselves into a corner the moment they decided to have that twist, like, if they showed the character like that earlier it would've been obvious they were the mastermind talking to them so he sorta had to be offscreen till late in the story.

That should have been their hint that it was a terrible twist and scrapped it, rather than going to ridiculous lengths to make it 'work'.

Aerosteam:

Auron225:

I know the game OP's talking about, it is foreshadowed. His glasses show him what's going around the facility with cameras, and every scene in the game ends with a fade to a static, like CCTV. So you can look at the game like it was entirely within his perspective.

Plus, in previous games in the series, the word "nonary" is used a lot, as in 9 characters are participating, but this time it was "decision" which can mean 10.

Finally, the 9 main characters are split into three groups of 3, two groups are called C Team and D Team because that's the first letters of the names of the team leaders, but in Q Team there isn't anyone with a name like that of the 3 so it is hinted the team name is referring to a fourth person.

Not saying the twist was bad or good, but it was foreshadowed multiple times, and I didn't notice them while playing.

Just because you can see his shadow, doesn't mean it's been foreshadowed! If your foreshadowing doesn't actually make sense in retrospect it doesn't count!

The way the camera in the game swings around it's impossible that he would be out frame in every single scene, especially when he's supposed to be immobile. And why is he going to such lengths not to look at himself anyway?

Nonary does mean 9, decision doesn't mean 10, even though it has 'dec' in it. Word origin of "decide" from Dictionary.com

Dictionary.com Word Origin and History:

v.

late 14c., "to settle a dispute," from Old French decider, from Latin decidere "to decide, determine," literally "to cut off," from de- "off" (see de- ) + caedere "to cut" (see -cide ). For Latin vowel change, see acquisition. Sense is of resolving difficulties "at a stroke." Meaning "to make up one's mind" is attested from 1830. Related: Decided; deciding.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/decide

And the game goes out of it's way to never mention bucket head's name to make you think 'Q' is his name, until after the twist when they are suddenly using his name all the time as if they'd been doing it all along.

It's only a twist for the player, and the character is never given a motive for hiding his existence from the player.

MC1980:
Yes, Zero Time Dilemma was indeed, a pile of shit.

The twist is dumb, not because it isn't foreshadowed, but it's foreshadowed in the dumbest ways possible. Like, there's the occasional shadow of the guy in the wheelchair in some shots, but in some instances he literally has to teleport out of the camera's field of vision in the next shot for the gimmick to work.

He's also completely silent despite rolling around in a wheelchair, and is never mentioned or talked to or talked about by the people around him. How fucking convenient. Oh, but there's these minor hints of whatever and whogivesafuck when it comes to him being there. It doesn't matter, because for the twist to be even possible, things have to be so outrageously contrived for nobody to mention him directly, or for him to not be on camera. Leading to teleportation. I guess being a blind mute-deaf makes you pretty much invisible.

Also, there's the part where you can totally kill him via stupid shit with a crossbow. In what is clearly supposed to be a small easter egg once the jig is up and you go back to clear up some gameplay you missed out on. But if you're like me, and you get the stupid fucking name of the mystery character, you type it in as a lark in the aformentioned crossbow room. And, whoops I just bumblekinged into the plotwist, deflating it like a balloon. Yay.

And it's not like that's my biggest gripe with the game, 'cus atleast they tried somewhat with that twist, as opposed to the other abysmal garbage in the game.

Yes, preach! There was sooo much wrong with the game. What was your biggest gripe, though?

aegix drakan:

...Please don't tell me that's from

That twist sounds like the dumbest twist of all time. As a writer, I almost feel personally attacked by how shit and outright LAZY it is. XD

Okay, I won't tell you what it's from.

But 999 was the only good game from that trilogy. The other two were kind of fun to watch SuperGreatFriend Let's Play, but in an ironic so-bad-it's-good sort of way.

I dunno, Nu!BSG gives many of the examples here a run for their money

Xsjadoblayde:
Reminds me of the plot twist for Heavy Rain. And that was after the heavy editing of further ridiculousness. It's the writer literally making it up at the last minute in a desperate attempt to surprise.

It's not David Cage's fault you lack the emotions to feel his brilliant writing.

In all seriousness, yeah, that was a really dumb plot twist. Not quite "Your wife is a mechanical arm" or "Dude is possessed by another dude's arm" levels of stupid, but still up there.

Hmm, two dumb plot twists involving people existing in an arm. Can we get a third, please? Someone? Anyone?

Chimpzy:
It's not David Cage's fault you lack the emotions to feel his brilliant writing.

In all seriousness, yeah, that was a really dumb plot twist. Not quite "Your wife is a mechanical arm" or "Dude is possessed by another dude's arm" levels of stupid, but still up there.

It was many of many of many dumb, nonsensical plot...noise. And hey, it's not a dead horse if it still continues to live, making new terrible stories while getting baffling praise and enough money to push half our population out of life-controlling/debilitating debt. Not even mad, just mostly confused and disappointed. I guess the silver lining is that it's something else that isn't as insidious as a lootbox. Or...is it?

Ogoid:
That's pretty bad, but I'd say the ending to 2001 Planet of the Apes (which, to Tim Burton's somewhat dubious credit, he lifted right out of Pierre Boulle's novel) would give it a run for its money. I mean, there's poor writing, and then there's simply absurd non-sequitur that directly contradicts the plot.

That had me honest-to-God getting up in the movie theater and yelling "what the fuck was that?"

Someone in the writing team surely made a joke about "Ape Lincoln", and the team leader must have found it too funny to waste it.

Metal Gear had a lot of contrived and pointless plottwists. I mean, ideally the impact of a twist should come from how it recontextualizes the story as a whole but most of the ones in Metal Gear seem to be a result of Kojima writing himself into a corner and then comtriving some way to get out of it. What does Venom Snakes real identity add to the plot? What does Ocelot pretending to be posessed add to the plot? What does the Patriots being the mission support from MGS3 add to the plot? Very little, other than not having to get into Big Boss' actual backstory, saving time and effort of finding some way to meaningfully integrate Liquid into the story of MGS 4 and having to establish an actual background for the Patriots, respectively.

It's not so much a twist as it's a sort of deus ex machina but rather than getting the characters out of a situation they shouldn't be able to get out of they get the writer out of a situation they don't know how to resolve. There should be a word for that.

You know, I like Kojima. But he really, really isn't a good writer.

Oh, I absolutely have seen worse twists.

darkrage6:
For me the worst plot twist ever was in Army of Two: Devil's Cartel

Have you SEEN the last X-Files episode?

Tanis:
Have you SEEN the last X-Files episode?

No, tell me about it. I stopped watching X-files around season 4 or 5 of the original series when I couldn't take the ridiculousness of the government wide conspiracies anymore.

leet_x1337:

Why wouldn't it happen? The Bad Guy eliminates the good guy as a threat and switches the good guy over to his side in one fell swoop. Xehanort would have to be an idiot NOT to.

None of those seem as stupid as the "It was the trees!" thing from The Happening.

That sounds like a really dumb twist...

But were we all murdered by machines to protect us from the machines murdering us?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here