Escapists, what are you OTHER interests?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

We're all well aware of the shared hobby that brings us together in these forums, but I'd like to imagine there's a bit more to us than videogames; what are some of your hobbies/interests/passions outside of gaming? Share pics/vids if applicable!

For me, it's playing the piano, below are a couple of videos I recorded about a year ago for my family back home.

This one is from the movie "Her," written by Arcade Fire. Not a particularly great movie, but this piece certainly captured my imagination.

And this one is by a group called Balmorhea. The sheet music didn't exist anywhere (as far as I could tell at the time,) so this is a cover I worked out by ear last year.

EDIT: Had to fix my links!

I'm glad you created this thread. I've been meaning to but..well, procrastination and doubt goes a long short way nowhere..fast?

I'm a bit of an amateur rockhound, metaldetectorist , a Numismatic collector, a Sci-Fi/Fantasy reader (sometimes hopeful writer) and "watcher", an amateur programmer, Mushroom picker/nature photographer, A cat lover (not that way..though yes, I could be called a Furry, but NO Not That Way..) and overall Space and Tech enthusiast. In the sense that I enjoy the multitudinous aspects of all that space can bring about. Especially together with advanced technology, like Transhumanism.

I do this:

And this:

I'm currently trying to make a full time career out of the first one.

I have a kid. Extra curricular activities are generally off the table now.

When I get the time, board games are great. Also, been passing that love onto my kid.

I listen to a lot of history books and videos. So maybe that too

Movies are a big one (I review them on a very irregular basis in the User Reviews section here).

Sports are another big one (SKOL VIKINGS! WE GONNA PLAY THE SUPERBOWL IN OUR HOUSE!!!!). I love to watch hockey, golf, football, and soccer. I will also basically play any sport, although the only one that I'm serious about is golf as I do not have the athletic abilities to play anything else :( But if I can compete in it, I will almost certainly try to play it.

I read a lot as well as I take the choo choo into work so that is a solid 20 minutes of nothing to do but read. I'm halfway through the second book of The First Law trilogy by Abercrombie right now.

... other... interests?

Hmmmm... well I like anime too, I guess. But most of my free time is spent reading about, talking about, watching, or playing games.

I spend way too much time on the internet. I need to start watching anime again...

I also collect stickers, buttons and tabletop gamebooks. Oh, and comic books, I have a bit of some guilty pleasure for 90s comics.

Well, I'm a bassist and play in a band. I like playing D&D and other pen & paper rpgs. I'm an amateur cook with an apparent talent for baking and making desserts. And like many here, I dabble in movies, manga and (rarely) anime. I used to also collect comics (American and Franco-Belgian), but mostly stopped doing that. Kept my collection tho, and I read some from time to time.

EDIT: oh, and I'm also a whiskey aficionado, mostly as something to sip and enjoy at home, tho I occasionally go to tastings too.

Working on my motorcycle, making clothes and research.

I have enough money that I plan to wind up with 7-8 tertiary qualifications for stuff I'll never likely do professionally.

I was thinking of starting a funwork job of rebuilding old motorbikes and selling them privately. If I can break even on parts and replacing tools I'll be happy. The other thing I was thinking about in tandem with my time at the university is doing night courses and extending my knowledge of design and patternmaking into full blown designer dressmaking qualifications.

I'm still young, I can do both.

Either that or learning how to make my own spirits and basic brewing.

Or maybe pick up German and French.

I was contemplating on starting a new business ... a boardgame club. Serve drinks, hold limited stockof kickstarted games and popular expansions to games we hold tournaments and events for, cosplayer tournament and event discounts, the works. A place that anyone can go, find a gamer, relax with a cup of tea or coffee and some inoffensive light meals for an hour during their lunch break or whatever, hold evening events, themed music ... gamer paraphenalia.

But that's like an 18 hour/day, 7 days a week, no holidays-sort of pursuit... I'd enjoy it, once operations kicked into gear, however.

Let's see.

I play tabletop wargames and collect and paint models. Less on the playing these days because honestly in your thirties it can be hard to find the time. I'm considering moving to something prepainted like Heroscape just to make it more attractive for my non-wargaming friends to try out.

Taking a break from it at the moment but I love playing Magic: The Gathering, mostly Modern but also EDH and the odd game of Legacy.

I do a bit of home learning for my career, setting up services and playing with new technology and such. I keep almost starting a blog or something but it's hard to find something unique enough to bother with, no one needs another Sharepoint/Azure/DevOps blog.

I brew the odd batch of beer, wine or mead. I've got some basic mead on the go at the moment and I'm doing another batch afterwards with local honey.

I am a bit of a watch fan though not fully down the rabbit hole there, I'm building a budget collection and stepping up to luxury brands once my mortgage is down and I'm married.

I play pen and paper roleplaying games in a regular group, we switch the exact games up fairly regularly though we're on D&D 5 at the moment.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
I have enough money that I plan to wind up with 7-8 tertiary qualifications for stuff I'll never likely do professionally.

If I had the money this is what I'd like to do, studying for the sake of learning is awesome. The only thing I think you'll find is that you'll get pissed off with your fellow students, I went to university later than others in my year and I never stopped being annoyed at how lazy and apathetic they were.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Either that or learning how to make my own spirits and basic brewing.

I used to do this (wines, ciders and beers, not spirits, though I did a few spirits kits but there's not much to that).
It's a really fun hobby, and one you get to share with friends later.

For beer, all-grain brewing is the way to go if you can, but it takes a lot of fairly basic but space-consuming gear. The alternative is brew in the bag (BIAB), which needs much less gear and is still quite fun. All-grain is much cheaper (and more involved) than BIAB in the long run, and you'll cover the gear cost fairly quickly (BIAB ingredients cost more).

Outside of video games? Well my friends and I still enjoy a session of tabletop pen'n'paper RPGing once a week, I'm an avid film watcher (in fact I currently need to buy another shelving unit to accommodate my movie collection - over 1000 titles and counting!), and I have a keen interest in amateur archaeology. I have never thrown away a book in my life, and in fact my book collection is perhaps the one thing to rival my film collection for space in the house. I make sure I have the time and money to go and see live bands at least two or three times a year, and regularly took part in the UK 2.8 Hours Later zombie runs until they went bust a few years ago. Every other Sunday you will find me glued to the latest F1 coverage, and my friends and I always head out to a friendly local boozer to watch and cheer on the Six Nations. But above all of these things is my love of cooking. I have planters full of my own herbs and spices (and would grow more if I had a decent garden), brew my own beers and ciders, and basically spend as much time as possible in the kitchen.

Oh, and I'm partial to the odd frame of 10-pin bowling too.

EscapistAccount:

If I had the money this is what I'd like to do, studying for the sake of learning is awesome. The only thing I think you'll find is that you'll get pissed off with your fellow students, I went to university later than others in my year and I never stopped being annoyed at how lazy and apathetic they were.

I'm in this boat already ... 9th year. But I'm in research proper, and thank fuck I don't have to live on the stipend they offer and on government welfare. It's more so 'funwork' ... which is the best sort of work. I tell you what, though. At least 50% of new discoveries and theories come off the backs of all those incredibly underpaid souls that litter university halls.

Which is why the whole Trump thing of taxing tuition cuts isgoing to be so deleterious.

But as they say, you don't go into science for the money, you go into science for the company you get to keep (and the hours). Universities have a growing number of mature age students, as well ... I think gone are the days of actual retirement. I think most middle aged people are like me and just expect to do as low stress work as possible until they die. I'm only in my 30s but I never want to do a 'real job' again. Quite happy being out of the conventional workforce.

That being said, going to be a hell of a lot of money in neuropsych over the next two decades.

High 6 figure, 7 figure incomes assuming you have the capacity to study for the length of time it takes. We're already in the neuroprosthetic/BCI verge and some of the stuff you get to look at is breathtaking. Submerged chipping of the visual cortex and corpus callosum to grant pseudo-sight bypassing the optic nerve altogether?

It's going to be a pretty wild future, and neuroprosthetics and BCI isentirely undiscovered country that will just explode in every possible way imaginable. It will be like the medical industry in the 1950s till now, only everyone will want a piece of it whether they're sick or well.

Deus Ex nonsense is just that.... Why is it when people think of a cybernetic future, they thing metal arms and retractable Wolverine blades? That's fucking stupid and the least impressive things neuroprosthetcs and BCI could offer (or moreso, complete fallacies).

What people should be excited about is the moment when you start seeing things like sense data sharing.

I say bring it on.

Baffle2:

I used to do this (wines, ciders and beers, not spirits, though I did a few spirits kits but there's not much to that).
It's a really fun hobby, and one you get to share with friends later.

For beer, all-grain brewing is the way to go if you can, but it takes a lot of fairly basic but space-consuming gear. The alternative is brew in the bag (BIAB), which needs much less gear and is still quite fun. All-grain is much cheaper (and more involved) than BIAB in the long run, and you'll cover the gear cost fairly quickly (BIAB ingredients cost more).

Yeah, kind of the problem because I live in a studio apartment. My 'hobby space' already fills one third of the apartment that includes my sewing machine, tools, fabrics, adjustable mannequin. Research space and library + Boardgames takes up another third.

I'm a 33 year old living the life of a perpetual bachelorette. But then again, I'd rather save money living cluttered than spendmoney having space I don't need.

I was thinking of renting out another storage garage space in West Sydney so that I could expand into learning brewing. Something I can put padlocks on.

I cut a deal with the 'super' whether I could load up some of my motorcycle gear and tools in one of the service rooms in the carpark, already ... but I don't want to chance having a still or the like in a place where anybody could theoretically get their hands on stuff I haven't even put a hydrometer to.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
I was contemplating on starting a new business ... a boardgame club. Serve drinks, hold limited stockof kickstarted games and popular expansions to games we hold tournaments and events for, cosplayer tournament and event discounts, the works. A place that anyone can go, find a gamer, relax with a cup of tea or coffee and some inoffensive light meals for an hour during their lunch break or whatever, hold evening events, themed music ... gamer paraphenalia.

But that's like an 18 hour/day, 7 days a week, no holidays-sort of pursuit... I'd enjoy it, once operations kicked into gear, however.

For what it's worth, I knew someone who ran a place pretty much exactly like what you described. And yes, it was a lot of hard, sometimes frustrating work, but he never regretted it and was on the whole happier doing it than any other job he'd held.

Oh, and my use of the past tense has nothing to do with the business failing, in case you were wondering.

Chimpzy:
For what it's worth, I knew someone who ran a place pretty much exactly like what you described. And yes, it was a lot of hard, sometimes frustrating work, but he never regretted it and was on the whole happier doing it than any other job he'd held.

Oh, and my use of the past tense has nothing to do with the business failing, in case you were wondering.

Yeah ... how I made some of my initial money was managing and co-owning a bar with friends. I managed hands, deliveries, and other stuff related to supply, rosters and organization. Essentially I sold my share onwards when I left. So I don't have numerous years of experience, but I have enough to navigate. I know all the basics of running an enterprise out of a semi-public space, insurance, how leases work, calculating total liabilities, how to manage a small crew.

It's just those months it takes in between finding a place, renoing, council troubles, workng out suppliers, all that nightmarish stuff that unless you're careful and proactive with engaging with every single little process that you have to do you end up being cheated, losing time, and losing money over it.

First 6 months is a living nightmare of no sleep. First full year afterwards is purely self-doubt. And if you survive that, then you can start feeling good about your prospects.

It sounds awful, and it looks awful, but simply the idea that all of your hardwork and its potential productivity is aimed at making you personally successful. Not your bosses, not shareholders, not your clientele. You. And that can give you a surprising amount of energy to endure. Going 6 months and not remembering the last time you saw sunlight makes you naturally suicidal, however. Hence why I could never do the club scene again.

But a boardgame cafe that closes 11PM ish and you're doing store prep by 5.30AM ... I reckon I could wing that. Hanging up new posters of events ... colourful fandom art of gamer products ... Sleeving rare trades for public display... getting to talk to customers about the latest boardgames you've played out from the burgeoning kickstarter scene that's only ever going to get bigger.

That sounds like fun. Certainly better than trying to organise music talent.

Vendor-Lazarus:
I'm glad you created this thread. I've been meaning to but..well, procrastination and doubt goes a long short way nowhere..fast?

I'm not surprised you procrastinated making a similar thread; this all those interests you have, there aren't enough hours in the day! XD Needless to say, you've given me plenty to Google...

Vanilla ISIS:
SNIP

That's awesome, dude! I can't recall his name now, but there's a YouTuber who does something similar to your creative "a cappella" instrumentation style, only he reproduces videogame music.

Chewster:
SNIP

I collected all the Spider-Man titles and #1s of any new titles I thought my be of value one day from the late '80s through about the mid-'90s. They're still in my parents basement and in great condition, I keep meaning to get out a pricing guide and see if I can retire off of them yet or not. And good work on the paintings! Do you have any particular influences or do you just go where the brush leads you? I studied the arts for two and a half years at The Ohio State University, but dropped out when I ran out of Art classes to take without taking bullshit electives like Biology and Maths; I was paying my own way and VOLUNTARILY going to school and couldn't stomach the idea of continuing to pay to take classes I'd already proven I sucked at for the past 13 years of MANDATORY schooling. Kind of a sore subject with me...

tippy2k2:
SNIP

I'm big into [north American] football too! 49ers fan here (yeah, I know...) Here's hoping the Superbowl in Minnesota doesn't turn out to be another '67 Ice Bowl; I like a cold-weather or whited out game during the regular season just as much as the next guy, but for the post season and certainly the BIG game, I want to see the best teams AT there best, not fighting the elements more than each other. And if you live in Minnesota, your town's going to be a mad house; stay warm up there!

Chimpzy:
SNIP

Bass, eh? I'm assuming bass guitar? What type of music does your band play and do you play professionally? "Professionally" as in 'you do paying gigs,' not necessarily 'you opened for Flea and the Red Hot chili Peppers last weekend.'"

Addendum_Forthcoming:
SNIP

Wow, sounds like you live a privileged life, lucky bastard! At least you're spending it bettering yourself. I'd kill for the opportunity to eschew financial worries and immerse myself in my passions. Seriously, I'd KILL; find me on the Dark Web... (that is, of course, a joke!) But I just found a comic book store like the one you've described wanting to start near my home. I hadn't been in a comic book store in decades, but I was looking for something for my girlfriend's son for Christmas, so I poked my head in and wow, it's HUGE; things have changed. They have everything you've described (except booze;) I must have walked around for the better part of two hours.

Xprimentyl:

Chimpzy:
SNIP

Bass, eh? I?m assuming bass guitar? What type of music does your band play and do you play professionally? ?Professionally? as in ?you do paying gigs,? not necessarily ?you opened for Flea and the Red Hot chili Peppers last weekend.??

Mostly bass guitar, yes, tho I can also play double bass, even though I don't find much use for it (lack of demand). I'm currently in a coverband that plays classic rock to metal songs, ranging from Chuck Berry or CCR to Slayer and Lamb of God, depending on the audience. I've been in other (non-cover) bands before, most of them in the harder rock/softer metal styles, though I've also briefly been in a blues trio. And yes, we do paying gigs, but I don't really think of it as professional, more getting a little extra scratch from my hobby.

Chimpzy:

Xprimentyl:

Chimpzy:
SNIP

Bass, eh? I?m assuming bass guitar? What type of music does your band play and do you play professionally? ?Professionally? as in ?you do paying gigs,? not necessarily ?you opened for Flea and the Red Hot chili Peppers last weekend.??

Mostly bass guitar, yes, tho I can also play double bass, even though I don't find much use for it (lack of demand). I'm currently in a coverband that plays classic rock to metal songs, ranging from Chuck Berry or CCR to Slayer and Lamb of God, depending on the audience. I've been in other (non-cover) bands before, most of them in the harder rock/softer metal styles, though I've also briefly been in a blues trio. And yes, we do paying gigs, but I don't really think of it as professional, more getting a little extra scratch from my hobby.

That's a broad range of sounds, good deal. I've always been envious of musicians with wide spectrums like yours; when I tell someone I play the piano (and invariably, they catch me off guard and pull a piano [oft poorly tuned] out of their ass,) they always want to make requests like Pop Song #437 or R&B Love Ballad #291, and I have to tell them "Nah, I don't know any of those, but I CAN play you a dozen relatively obscure lyric-less solo piano pieces which I'm 100% sure you've never heard before in your life."

Xprimentyl:

Vendor-Lazarus:

I?m not surprised you procrastinated making a similar thread; this all those interests you have, there aren?t enough hours in the day! XD Needless to say, you?ve given me plenty to Google?

I don't do everything all at once, sadly (or fortunately?). My interests goes in waves or phases.
I only have enough "passion" to entertain one interest for a certain amount of time, before on it wanes (and waxes again later).

Rockhounding is simply collecting neat looking rocks. I can identify some, but I've yet to really grapple with the intricacies of it; In what kind of sediment you can find this and that, lava flows, wind/water erosion, etc.
There is also the sheer amount of minerals and what separates Garnet from Pyrope, Almandine, Spessartine, Grossular (varieties of which are Hessonite or Cinnamon-stone and Tsavorite), Uvarovite and Andradite...for example.
..Yeah..I'm still an amateur rockhound. ^^

Numismatics focus on collecting coins mostly. I'm more of serial collector, aiming to add at least one coin of every year it has been released. In my case it's Swedish 2-krona, 1-krona, 50-?re, 25-?re, 10-?re, 5-?re, 2-?re and 1-?re. Though I've got other coins, both Swedish and foreign..more for the fun of it and from finding "hidden" "treasures", caches through thriftshops, etc.
There are also those focusing on manufacturing flaws or some other arbitrary reason.

I like to draw when I get a chance, along with painting.

I also like to cook a little, but I am very amateur.

I've been playing D&D in some form or another once a week for about 30 years- but it's down to twice a month for the last, I dunno, 4 or 5 years, what with family and such.

I used to like to dabble in game creation, but Flash isn't cool anymore and I have no time to learn a new language/game creation software.

EDIT: I forgot, horror! I'm a big fan of horror novels and movies, especially monster/supernatural horror. I wouldn't say I was a geek though, as I retain information poorly.

I enjoy studying languages. I'm fairly proficient at Spanish now (Probably somewhere between B2 and C1 level), I've started going strong on Japanese after years of dipping in and out of it a lot (And watching far too much anime) and I've been slowly getting into Russian these last few months.

I love learning about all the different ways they have for phrasing things. It's rather eye-opening to find out just how much of the way you think is governed by the language that you think in. I also love how this lets me meet people from all around the world and learn about different cultures & ways of life.

I also like to play music. I'm currently working on an album with a friend of mine that I hope to have out within a couple of months. The recording process is going reasonably smoothly and I'm loving every moment.

Mostly books and comics; I'll read anything, as long as I find the subject matter interesting. At the moment, I just worked my way through 10 volumes of French comic Lastman, after having been recommended the animated series (which was amazing, I might add), and am juggling H. P. Lovecraft's Complete Works (up to The Thing on the Doorstep) and Shusaku Endo's The Samurai.

Other than that, I'm a huge beer geek, and have been known to dabble in homebrewing myself, though it's been a while since my last batch.

Vendor-Lazarus:

Xprimentyl:

Vendor-Lazarus:

I?m not surprised you procrastinated making a similar thread; this all those interests you have, there aren?t enough hours in the day! XD Needless to say, you?ve given me plenty to Google?

I don't do everything all at once, sadly (or fortunately?). My interests goes in waves or phases.
I only have enough "passion" to entertain one interest for a certain amount of time, before on it wanes (and waxes again later).

Rockhounding is simply collecting neat looking rocks. I can identify some, but I've yet to really grapple with the intricacies of it; In what kind of sediment you can find this and that, lava flows, wind/water erosion, etc.
There is also the sheer amount of minerals and what separates Garnet from Pyrope, Almandine, Spessartine, Grossular (varieties of which are Hessonite or Cinnamon-stone and Tsavorite), Uvarovite and Andradite...for example.

Numismatics focus on collecting coins mostly. I'm more of serial collector, aiming to add at least one coin of every year it has been released. In my case it's Swedish 2-krona, 1-krona, 50-?re, 25-?re, 10-?re, 5-?re, 2-?re and 1-?re. Though I've got other coins, both Swedish and foreign..more for the fun of it and from finding "hidden" "treasures", caches through thriftshops, etc.
There are also those focusing on manufacturing flaws or some other arbitrary reason.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be honest, "rockhounding" sounded like something done in the Southern United States, y'know, by the "good 'ol boys," like 'noodling' or 'corn holing,' but seeing as you lost me a couple dozen words later with words I can't even begin to pronounce, it's clear rockhounding is a bit more nuanced than sticking your naked arm in a catfish hole and yanking it out by the gills. Do you pursue these hobbies alone or have you joined groups of fellow rockhounds and Numismatists(?)?

Xprimentyl:

Vendor-Lazarus:

Xprimentyl:

Thanks for the clarification. I?ll be honest, ?rockhounding? sounded like something done in the Southern United States, y?know, by the ?good ?ol boys,? like ?noodling? or ?corn holing,? but seeing as you lost me a couple dozen words later with words I can?t even begin to pronounce, it?s clear rockhounding is a bit more nuanced than sticking your naked arm in a catfish hole and yanking it out by the gills. Do you pursue these hobbies alone or have you joined groups of fellow rockhounds and Numismatists(?)?

I'm not entirely sure, but the term rockhounding may very well originate from The South. ,)

I'm a loner, not really by choice but by happenstances and some of my innate "quirks".
If there was some sort of group at my location, I would consider joining.
It's not all that common here though, and I live out in the sticks, or "boonies" as some say.
I do seek out such groups online, but mostly to learn from the shadows. Rarely do I interact.

Xprimentyl:

Wow, sounds like you live a privileged life, lucky bastard! At least you?re spending it bettering yourself. I?d kill for the opportunity to eschew financial worries and immerse myself in my passions. Seriously, I?d KILL; find me on the Dark Web? (that is, of course, a joke!) But I just found a comic book store like the one you?ve described wanting to start near my home. I hadn?t been in a comic book store in decades, but I was looking for something for my girlfriend?s son for Christmas, so I poked my head in and wow, it?s HUGE; things have changed. They have everything you?ve described (except booze;) I must have walked around for the better part of two hours.

Luck more than anything. I knew all the right people at the right times. Any differently and I would have lost most of my wealth in 9 months with the end of the mining boom. I also knew a whole lot of budding, new age investors that didn't follow the same sage advice I did and ended in a deep hole quickly filling with toxic assets, treading water and being able to do nothing else. Some people I knew went into properties around boom towns in WA. Now they're paupers.

Capitalism is a lottery.

As for my passions... I guess? I'm only 33, yet I have a list of things I'll still probably never get around to in any sufficient measure.

Though I have found night courses to proceed with my design and patternmaking! So I'll be doing that ontop of my research and further study at uni. So that'll be fun! I like working with fabric. Fashion is like materials science, ergonomics, psychology and visual arts in one.

Xprimentyl:

tippy2k2:
SNIP

I?m big into [north American] football too! 49ers fan here (yeah, I know?) Here?s hoping the Superbowl in Minnesota doesn?t turn out to be another ?67 Ice Bowl; I like a cold-weather or whited out game during the regular season just as much as the next guy, but for the post season and certainly the BIG game, I want to see the best teams AT there best, not fighting the elements more than each other. And if you live in Minnesota, your town?s going to be a mad house; stay warm up there!

Well it would take one hell of a screw up for another Ice Bowl to happen in Minnesota considering US Bank Stadium is an indoor stadium :D

Reading! Lots of it. These are all the books I read in 2017, from my Goodreads challenge:

I'm an old raver at heart, the majority of my life my interests have been drugs, techno and women who like drugs and techno. I have made a few tunes in my time and although I'm a bit rusty I can still DJ. I have rekindled my childhood interest in Warhammer & 40K because I'm getting old and these days the comedowns far outweigh the highs.

I volunteer in my community. Right now that?s mostly at church, but starting summer I will begin to attend Rotary meetings and find more opportunitys with them.

I also write poetry! Here are a few of my works.

And I?m an avid learner. I chart what I learn from online courses to one day use it and teach it to someone else. See if you can?t learn from my universal notebook! https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahw0pOj8IEIzgbdH8q_cvRk5vlWnSw

If I'm not playing video games or watching YouTube videos, it's usually because I'm doing something less enjoyable like work or chores. I don't have any friends that I've ever been able to hang out with for one reason or another, and while I would love to get back into drawing or read more often I just don't have the free time to do a whole lot of things.

Xprimentyl:
That?s a broad range of sounds, good deal. I?ve always been envious of musicians with wide spectrums like yours; when I tell someone I play the piano (and invariably, they catch me off guard and pull a piano [oft poorly tuned] out of their ass,) they always want to make requests like Pop Song #437 or R&B Love Ballad #291, and I have to tell them ?Nah, I don?t know any of those, but I CAN play you a dozen relatively obscure lyric-less solo piano pieces which I?m 100% sure you?ve never heard before in your life.?

I've always made a point of it to learn songs from as many genres and styles as I can, including ones I don't actually enjoy listening to myself, and ones that aren't traditionally played with my chosen instrument. I learned a lot from it. Not just new techniques and ways of playing or how to achieve certain sounds, but also learning to appreciate music that I previously scoffed at (used to be a real 'brutal and tru only' type metalhead). Which in turn led me to more music to play (and sometimes start listening to), and more things to learn from that in some horrible and eclectic vicious cycle of discovery. Does it make me a better musician? Maybe, I don't know. I'd say I'm certainly not as good at a particular style of music as someone who specialists in it, but I'm at least somewhat competent at many. I feel that has merits of its own.

Oh, and I usually can't just play Pop Song #437 or R&B Love Ballad #291 requests at the drop of a hat either. "Songs I think would be fun to learn and play as a musician" doesn't always overlap with "Songs that are popular requests". Maybe a decent approximation if its a well-known enough song. Not that, as the bassist, I get a lot of requests, 'cept that time Seven Nation Army was all the rage and that was all people ever asked.

Depends on the day, my mood, and weather. If it's warm and sunny, I'll probably be kayaking (used to row, but good lord the training burned my enjoyment out of me).

If it's raining I'll probably be working through my "to do list" of films and shows, often doing some basic critical breakdown of it so I can have some real discussions with whoever recommended it to me.

Finally if it's a tuesday, friday or saturday evening and I have nothing on the next day, I'm going to be at my local club, most likely topless (I'm not even sure how that became a thing, just did).

I read.

A lot.

tippy2k2:

Xprimentyl:

tippy2k2:
SNIP

I?m big into [north American] football too! 49ers fan here (yeah, I know?) Here?s hoping the Superbowl in Minnesota doesn?t turn out to be another ?67 Ice Bowl; I like a cold-weather or whited out game during the regular season just as much as the next guy, but for the post season and certainly the BIG game, I want to see the best teams AT there best, not fighting the elements more than each other. And if you live in Minnesota, your town?s going to be a mad house; stay warm up there!

Well it would take one hell of a screw up for another Ice Bowl to happen in Minnesota considering US Bank Stadium is an indoor stadium :D

Y'know, I knew that; I don't know why I posted that! I think the combination of talking about the Ice Bowl recently, the couple of games with snow we had this regular season and the word "Minnesota" took my mind to a cold place. I also I had Super Bowl XLV on my mind. It was played in Arlington, TX at AT&T Stadium; it's domed too, mostly because the Dallas CowGIRLS are a bunch of pansies and Jerry Jones is nothing if not a gracious pimp. Anyway, the influx of people for the Super Bowl congested the entire DFW metroplex; I live in Plano which is about 40 miles northeast of the stadium and remember every restaurant being packed to the gills for a few days before and after the game. But most significantly, poor preparation, an overselling of seats coupled with unseasonably cold temperatures led to several hundred ticket holders having to watch the game in standing rooms and OUTSIDE, in the COLD, on TV. We got a lot of shit for botching the biggest event in sports, especially since the pimple on the face of Texas they call "Jerry's World" is supposed to be such a lavish and luxurious venue. Just sayin', Minnesota: don't fuck this up!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here