Certain game mechanics you want to see implemented into shows or other media.

I always want to see a series where a character starts with nothing and as the series goes on learns new skills and not only gets better equipment but gets it from his/her enemies.

PapaGreg096:
I always want to see a series where a character starts with nothing and as the series goes on learns new skills and not only gets better equipment but gets it from his/her enemies.

I don't think that's particuarly compelling narrative-wise. If a hero improves over the course of a story, it's usually more compelling for that improvement to come from self-improvement, tapping into inner strength (emotional, physical, etc.), or from gaining knowledge. If the hero improves simply by scavenging extra equipment, I wouldn't call that as compelling.

If you want something like that, something like 'Ready Player One' comes to mind (just finished the book). I'm...not overly fond of the book. Oh sure, the protagonist has lots of swag, both virtual and real by the end of the novel, but I don't feel that he's changed as a person by the end of it.

Dice rolls to determine success.

(I would insert a clip of Gary Gygax from Futurama here where he goes "Its a *rolls dice*..Pleasure to meet you", but ofcourse its not on youtube...)

I want to see blade mode from Metal Gear Rising make its way into medical dramas. Seeing the doctors deciding where to precisely cut and stuff would be cool.

How about choosing the gender or race of your protagonist, in a show?

I... I don't know how that would work.

I suspect that it couldn't work for any old TV series, for example...

Or maybe it could?

You know what? Nevermind. I don't want this after all.

Oh I know! What about an 'apocalypse' option for a horror flick or series that, at your whim, introduces conflict? Like, in a zombie series, aside from specific encounters, you can decide when a random zombie encounter occurs, with possibly fatal results? I mean sometimes it already feels like it's random anyways. And again, I have no practical idea how it would get implemented.

Hawki:

PapaGreg096:

I don't think that's particuarly compelling narrative-wise. If a hero improves over the course of a story, it's usually more compelling for that improvement to come from self-improvement, tapping into inner strength (emotional, physical, etc.), or from gaining knowledge. If the hero improves simply by scavenging extra equipment, I wouldn't call that as compelling.

If you want something like that, something like 'Ready Player One' comes to mind (just finished the book). I'm...not overly fond of the book. Oh sure, the protagonist has lots of swag, both virtual and real by the end of the novel, but I don't feel that he's changed as a person by the end of it.

But you can do both?

Daredevil for instance. He essentially get's his knife-proof gear from a guy that was making it for the Kingpin beforehand. I thought that was neat and fit well with the show as a whole.

Saelune:
Dice rolls to determine success.

(I would insert a clip of Gary Gygax from Futurama here where he goes "Its a *rolls dice*..Pleasure to meet you", but ofcourse its not on youtube...)

Well, duh. When you wipe out the universe and end up in null space, there doesn't tend to be records of it. :P

Fischgopf:

But you can do both?

Daredevil for instance. He essentially get's his knife-proof gear from a guy that was making it for the Kingpin beforehand. I thought that was neat and fit well with the show as a whole.

I wouldn't call that an example of game mechanics. Matt simply gets armour from a guy. That's not a plot point unique to games.

I also don't feel Matt's changed by the end of season 1 (TBH, not really a fan of the Daredevil show), but that's another matter.

Expansion packs? I mean, it would be nice if a popular movie got like a 30 minutes self contained special, at least without the other shitty things connected lately with expansion packs.

I also would have liked the ability to control the camera to kill fast cuts, but that would be near impossible.

Impassable chest-high walls.

"RETURN TO THE COMBAT AREA" messages in war movies. Characters having to drink stamina potions every 20 seconds if they're running.

Bullet time! ...Oh, wait.

More seriously, while I wouldn't want to see actual mana points mentioned in a movie or television show, a more concrete sense of the scale and quantity of magic a user of magic is able to use (beyond "you have three wishes" or "you can use the widget two times") might actually be nice... One major problem of "magic" in many media is that there's often very little sense of what its practitioners can and cannot do. So if they use it, it often comes off as a deus ex machina, and if they don't when it seems like they should have, it comes off as a weakly-written and arbitrary plot contrivance.

I's like to see more credible means of carrying, drawing, holstering, and reloading multiple fire-arms, if only so people would stop defending the two-weapon limit as "realistic".

Oh... And I want to see a five-thousand-year-old Abraham Lincoln lead his troops to overtake the capital of India, where a power-mad and similarly ancient Mahatma Gandhi threatens the world with nuclear weapons.

(Okay, not really. But it would be kind of cool.)

Sean Hollyman:
I want to see blade mode from Metal Gear Rising make its way into medical dramas. Seeing the doctors deciding where to precisely cut and stuff would be cool.

Darn, you beat me to it.

Well, I would like to see a show or movie do something similar to Mad World where you get points based of off the style of kills you do. More stylish the kill, the more of the area you get to unlock and eventually you'll face the boss of that area for the rink. The movie does not have to be an all black and white like the game, but I would not mind if it did.

Also I would like to see a TV show that has something similar to Devil May Cry's Devil Trigger or Dynasty Warriors musou attacks. You know, the more you attack, the more your meter builds up, the more super moves you can do. Or it can add a buffering to all of your attacks.

Callate:

More seriously, while I wouldn't want to see actual mana points mentioned in a movie or television show, a more concrete sense of the scale and quantity of magic a user of magic is able to use (beyond "you have three wishes" or "you can use the widget two times") might actually be nice... One major problem of "magic" in many media is that there's often very little sense of what its practitioners can and cannot do. So if they use it, it often comes off as a deus ex machina, and if they don't when it seems like they should have, it comes off as a weakly-written and arbitrary plot contrivance.

Yeah, but... Midichlorians.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here