What happened to Caramel Frappe?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Why the account wipe?

(Apologies for the user directed thread)

He didn't say anything to me at least so...

It's the only reasonable explanation

I sent him a PM in early December asking about bringing back some community features. Nothing.

Last time I spoke with him he was really disillusioned with the community and clearly having been the community manager caused him a lot of stress to the point that he stopped interacting with the community, I think he was just done with this place which is a shame because he was a really nice guy but now you know the consequences of being such huge jerks.

Kaleion:
Last time I spoke with him he was really disillusioned with the community and clearly having been the community manager caused him a lot of stress to the point that he stopped interacting with the community, I think he was just done with this place which is a shame because he was a really nice guy but now you know the consequences of being such huge jerks.

The Wild West was a mistake. Always was, always will be. Its a drag on the site and the users. The sooner its closed for good, the better.

I was wondering that as well. A damn shame that he's gone, but understandable as to the probable reasons why.

Oh my, that's a darn shame, he was a good chap 😞

I do hope he comes back.

Silentpony:

Kaleion:

The Wild West was a mistake. Always was, always will be. Its a drag on the site and the users. The sooner its closed for good, the better.

Enough other places to also lay blame on if you want to go and play that game 🙄

Silentpony:

Kaleion:

And yet we voted to keep it.

Redlin5:

Silentpony:

Kaleion:

Who is we?

We is not plenty of people outside the WW, nor is we even a majority of the WW, based on the WW poll that was fairly close. (I wasnt honestly expecting the anti-WW option to win, but it was a slimmer margin than I think many expected)

Jokes on him, we can still see his history through the Wayback Machine!

I used to be a regular here, made friends with quite a few people, then did some stupid shit and got myself banned. Only recently just came back because I remembered liking it here. Caramel was one of the few people I remember, alongside Daystar Clarion and Redlin.
Are they still around?

Saelune:

Redlin5:

Silentpony:

Who is we?

We is not plenty of people outside the WW, nor is we even a majority of the WW, based on the WW poll that was fairly close. (I wasnt honestly expecting the anti-WW option to win, but it was a slimmer margin than I think many expected)

What is this Wild West thing?

Sean Hollyman:

It's a "no rules" subforum for people with an active subscription. Which is surprisingly many, but that's because apparently a severely disgruntled tech team gave a permanent subscription for free to most active users upon being suddenly laid off.

I wiped his profile and stole his mod powers. I am Caramel Frappe now and anyone who wipes me and steals my powers will become him too.

Well, people can always return, even after being "wiped". Let's not forget that.

I assume he left for personal reasons, probably through stress at not being able to deliver on stuff he felt he promised in status updates.

EDIT: Which is understandable but, pardon me for saying it, unfair on him if it's the case. He had zero power and was desperately trying to represent peoples interests. Sure, he gave unrealistic estimates and such but I take it he's not trained on project management and in this case he had no power to enforce those estimates and schedules.

I was wondering that myself. He was really great to have around and one of those that seemed dedicated to holding the site together. I can't blame him if the stress finally got to him though.

Probably gave up. This place is beyond saving anyway.

Well shit, this place is DEFINITELY has gond downhill and beyond saving if even him had bailed out!

Granted I'm not suprised however.

Saelune:

Redlin5:

Silentpony:

Who is we?

And people voted for Donald Trump. Does that make it the right decision?
And what is the Wild West if not the Donald Trump of the Escapist? Loud, obnoxious, unfiltered, deliberately antagonistic and toxic and playing by a completely new set of rules most users find disgusting and damaging.

But at least you guys can post shitty memes, eh?

Redlin5:

WW has nothing to do with this.

Fischgopf:
This place is beyond saving anyway.

This. Even the best people can only take so much mismanagement before they wash their hands of everything. It doesn't exactly feel nice to have all your hard work invalidated because some execs keep taking a big crap on it and even sometimes make you into a supposed liar because they were too lazy to do anything.

Now, did the community get on his back way too much? Yeah, they did, but I'm pretty sure seeing the complete lack of help from Defy was the final nail in the coffin.

Regardless of all that, I'll definitely miss him. See ya', space cowboy.

Kaleion:

That was pretty much the sense I got with my conversations with him. Too much "CHRIST Frappe, why haven't you fixed X yet?!" "GOD'S SAKE Frappe you don't have the ability to solve Y, WHY HAVEN'T YOU SOLVED Y?!" "HEY FRAPPE YOU FUCK I keep reminding you why I think you're a screw up and hounding you like an ungrateful jackass, so why aren't you doing MORE FOR US?!" and more nonsense like that. Obviously I'm exaggerating for effect, but all of those are things that happened in some format with a few community members. I repeated often that Frappe was the only one who seemed to care enough to try and turn things around, and yet many people kept kicking him down and being extremely unhelpful. No wonder he left.

There were a lot who supported him, and that's awesome. But there was an equal amount of unbelievably ungrateful frustration spewing people that probably made that job suck. Frappe hid away in silence to avoid all of it. I've seen the "he should be prepared for that in his position, if he can't handle it he's not suited for it" argument, and there's some validity to it. But if those naysayers just calmed down and tried being helpful instead of scrutinizing, then we might still have our community manager, someone who cared a lot about this place. But nope, had to ruin it. Thanks guys.

Edit: Mismanagement and lack of help from Defy also contributed, I know that. My focus here is just what I gathered from my conversations from Frappe about him trying to hide from all the people giving him shit. I know there's more to it

The Escapist Forums have always been full of self-righteous, trolling, passive-aggressive, harassing, toxic posters. Yeah, sure. Blame the Wild West forum for driving people away. You know. The only place on The Escapist where people can stand up against these bullies without getting moderated.

Thanks for playing.

Silentpony:

Wild West is a symptom, not a cause.

Fischgopf:
Probably gave up. This place is beyond saving anyway.

Yep. It's a sisyphus work to try bring a fresh breeze of life into an abandoned site, with a fleeing content creators/userbase, that's overrun with adbots.

Sad to see Frappe go, he was one of the people who actually cared.
But one thing that really miffs me is this wiping of people who leave. But myself and others have asked for this and just get told we can go and edit our comments (which lets face it, for thousands of posts this is absurdly time consuming).

The Escapist runs on salt and tears, it needs the WW.

MrCalavera:

Silentpony:

Wild West is a symptom, not a cause.

Most people don't revel in their cancer and think it makes the site fun and worthwhile. Most sites don't need to appeal to the 4chan crowd with \b lite

Jumped off the sinking ship. Can't blame him.

Sean Hollyman:
I used to be a regular here, made friends with quite a few people, then did some stupid shit and got myself banned. Only recently just came back because I remembered liking it here. Caramel was one of the few people I remember, alongside Daystar Clarion and Redlin.
Are they still around?

Saelune:

Redlin5:

Who is we?

A pubclub member only 'no rules (mostly)' forum that non-pubclub members cant even see.

Caramel spent a lot of time asking us to step up and fight for the community. Every single time, the community said no.

Everyone says they want this community but no one will lift a finger to save it.

If your still listening, thanks Caramel for all your efforts

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Redlin5:

Who is we?

And what is the Wild West if not the Donald Trump of the Escapist? Loud, obnoxious, unfiltered, deliberately antagonistic and toxic and playing by a completely new set of rules most users find disgusting and damaging.

I assume you're using my post as a jumping off point, considering I am on your side here.

trunkage:
Caramel spent a lot of time asking us to step up and fight for the community. Every single time, the community said no.

Everyone says they want this community but no one will lift a finger to save it.

If your still listening, thanks Caramel for all your efforts

...Except we're sitting blind here. I didnt want to bring up negativity against Frappe here but...

Frappe promised alot and delivered little. And when they failed to deliver, ran and hid from us without saying anything.

Sorry if this is a dick thing to say but...Frappe is kinda hitting par for the course with this. (Thats not to say that much of the rest of those in power of The Escapist didnt all do it first, Frappe is just imitating them I suppose)

Hell, more mods keep popping up suddenly and unannounced. Thankfully I think Gethsemani is a swell person, but suddenly they are a blue-named mod too?

You criticize the community for not wanting to help, but most of us have our hands tied and our eyes covered.

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Saelune:
Who is we?

I assume you're using my post as a jumping off point, considering I am on your side here.

Yes. I am emphasizing what you said.

Damn, that sucks. He was a pretty reasonable fella.

Rednog:
Sad to see Frappe go, he was one of the people who actually cared.
But one thing that really miffs me is this wiping of people who leave. But myself and others have asked for this and just get told we can go and edit our comments (which lets face it, for thousands of posts this is absurdly time consuming).

He used his access to do it, something the mods have no ability to.

Maybe someone offered him a slightly less thankless task, like picking up dogshit from other people's dogs, or being the cup in 2 girls 1 cup (which, I have to say, I haven't seen and refuse to read a description of, so my reference may be incorrect).

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here