Quick Question: What do they call this kind of Jumpscare?

Jumpscares came in many different flavors, I am wondering what is called this one?

You look out a window and nothing is there, than you turn and look for something else nearby, than you look at the window again and BOO something is there where only a second ago there was nothing? And there are variations of this kind of scare, whether looking at a mirror and on your shoulders.

What do they call this kind of jumpscare? I ask because I wanna know if TVTropes have an article on it.

or when somebody checks themselves out in the bathroom mirror/cabernet before opening it up to take/check medicine/toothpaste/pregnancy paraphernalia (etc), then upon closing it *BAM!* ...creepy dude/monster/hallucination/mother appears in reflection and we totes did not see that one coming, no we did nots, sir! You surprised us all with your clever twist of expections!

but as far as I'm aware, they're not given any different term. Just another jump-scare. They're too boring and cheap for anyone to care, I'd imagine

How about 'fenestrated jump scare'?

I think if you want to categorize jump scares then:

1: The Trick Scare; the particular type you posted about.
Characterised by the obvious set up of innocuous activity so banal that you feel the "scare" coming minutes before it happens. "You guy's, they'll never see it coming... she's just brushing her teeth, she opens the bathroom cabinet to put the toothpaste back and 'AARrgh'! I'm telling you the audience will fill thier pants!"
"That's pure gold Chip, have another line!"

2: The Bump Scare; nothing actually frightening happens.
The protagonist (female, probably wearing a too-small vest) investigates the *generic dark place* and is scared out of thier wits as a cat jumps up into view. The moment is usually diffused by the cat's cute "mew" abd the protagonist laughs at how nervous they are feeling.
"You guys! The audience will be expecting something horrific to happen, but we subvert thier expectations by scaring the crap outta them with something not scary at all. I dunno... I'm thinking maybe a cat could jump into view..."
"Chip, that's awesome! Pass me the mirror!"

3: The Double-Trick Scare (often follows The Bump Scare);
The movie makers are so clever & stuff that they get you twice! Twice!! Following the cute cat/child who just got out of bed/friend who just popped around unnanounced, they immediately follow up with the real scare. You WILL NOT see this coming due to the cleverness of the very clever movie makers.
"You guys, you guys! We get them once with a scare that turns out to be nothing. THEN... we get them AGAIN with the real scare. I'm thinking the hero/heroine is laughing at thier own stupidity when it crashes through the window...or door ... or.."
"Chip, you are a solid gold GENIUS!! *sniff* ...what was that idea again?"

4: The How-Many-Times-Are-They-Gonna-Pull-This Scare;
Just watch the 2012 Woman In Black.
"Chip, I love your jump scare ideas bro! What about a movie built on JUST jump scares?"

Dudemaker:
The protagonist (female, probably wearing a too-small vest) investigates the *generic dark place* and is scared out of thier wits as a cat jumps up into view. The moment is usually diffused by the cat's cute "mew" abd the protagonist laughs at how nervous they are feeling.
"You guys! The audience will be expecting something horrific to happen, but we subvert thier expectations by scaring the crap outta them with something not scary at all. I dunno... I'm thinking maybe a cat could jump into view..."

The scare with the cat (or similar) is called the Cat Scare. One of the first (and influential) uses was in Cat People, though it involved a bus, not a cat.

*Jump startle

That's the mirror scare. So named because its most common application is through reflections. Observe:

Asita:
That's the mirror scare. So named because its most common application is through reflections. Observe:

I made this thread because I watched the Mummy movie from 1999 recently and it had that exact scare.

And I forgot how played straight that movie was its almost charming.

No hispter subversion here, its just what I think is the good old fashioned Block Buster movie, and a decent mix of horror and action.

Thaluikhain:

Dudemaker:

The scare with the cat (or similar) is called the Cat Scare. One of the first (and influential) uses was in Cat People, though it involved a bus, not a cat.

Also the 'suddenly falling object/rickety window shutting by itself/so many variants.
Maybe in the future so called "horror movies" could come with a lame-o-meter for things like this - like it'd score 5 cats for over use of jump scares...
I'm a wishful thinker.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here