Dutch Speaker To Help With A Long-Standing Question

Any native (or at least fluent) Dutch speakers in here that can help with a translation? My apologies if what I'm hearing isn't Dutch (maybe German?), but it's my best guess as the artist (Kettel) is Dutch, so I figured I'd start with his native tongue. The song is called Palle's Popsong; I fell in love with it (and Kettel's music in general) YEARS ago. Anyway, this song popped up on my Spotify playlist today, and it got to the end when I remembered always wanting to know what those two people are arguing about; sounds like some intense domestic dispute which is an odd way to end such a pleasant track. A YouTube commentor left this in the comments which seems to be what the guy is yelling ("Daar zit m'n telefoon en alles ik ben zo KUUUT"), but MS Outlook translator isn't giving me anything. Little help to sate this years-long morbid curiosity? The speaking starts around the 3m:56s mark or so. Thanks in advance!

A direct translation would be "There's my phone and everything, I'm so... FUUUUCK!!!"

I think he said 'daar zit mijn telefoon in en alles. Ik ben zo... KUUUUT'.

In the scene you hear some woman throw something through a window. I think the line means 'That contains my phone and everything (/all of my other stuff), I'm so (interrupts himself) FUUUUUCK'. The tone is such as to stress his indignation that his stuff gets carelessly tossed about. A slightly different interpretation would be to read the second line as 'Ik ben zo kut.' Meaning something like 'I suck so bad' indicating he blames himself for something.

What I think happened is his (ex?)girlfriend threw his stuff out the window, possibly damaging it. He complained that it contained his valuables.

The other 2 people are wrong, he's actually shouting "I love Aphex Twin, do I sound like Aphex Twin yet?"

Casual Shinji:
A direct translation would be "There's my phone and everything, I'm so... FUUUUCK!!!"

Pseudonym:

In the scene you hear some woman throw something through a window. I think the line means 'That contains my phone and everything (/all of my other stuff), I'm so (interrupts himself) FUUUUUCK'. The tone is such as to stress his indignation that his stuff gets carelessly tossed about. A slightly different interpretation would be to read the second line as 'Ik ben zo kut.' Meaning something like 'I suck so bad' indicating he blames himself for something.

What I think happened is his (ex?)girlfriend threw his stuff out the window, possibly damaging it. He complained that it contained his valuables.

Thank you both so much; I really appreciate it. So it is Dutch, then? Some sort of domestic spat that escalated into public, and Kettel in his studio recording this track, caught the audio, and said "meh, fuck it; I'll leave it in!" Listening again now, and yes, it does sound like something crashing from a height, and that's certainly the way my voice would sound if my gf tossed my shit out a window. I wonder if that (ex)couple knows their ugly business has been captured for posterity at the tail end of this contrastingly beautiful piece of music?

And for your kindness in translating, two fun facts: The growling you can hear near the end is sampled from the original Doom videogame (the demons dying noises) and Kettel composed the original score for the PlayStation 3 game ibb & obb; never played it, but I own the soundtrack.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:
The other 2 people are wrong, he's actually shouting "I love Aphex Twin, do I sound like Aphex Twin yet?"

Lol, if you're insinuating Kettel is an Aphex Twin (one of my classic favs) wannabe, I couldn't disagree more. This song may bear some passing similarities with some of Twin's mid-'90s stuff, maybe the Richard D James Album at points, or maybe you're referring to the "squanchy" Roland synth sounds that are prevalent through a lot of Twin's work (and subsequently in the repertoire of 99% of electronic artists eventually,) but Kettel's larger body of work is a varied world unto itself, more focused on combining complex rhythm and lush, intricate melody whereas Aphex Twin is most often one or the other. But yes, there is no denying the influence Aphex Twin had on a lot of electronic artists coming out of the '90s and early 2000s; I'd say Kettel and his like built themselves upon the groundwork laid by the legends of electronic music like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Plaid, FSOL, etc., but I'll not deny their own, unique (if inspired) talent. I'd offer you give Kettel an honest listen if you're interested; I was floored when I stumbled upon him 6-7 years ago; highly underrated. I started to recommend specific albums, but stopped when I realized I was listing every album he has up Spotify; they each fuckin' great!

Xprimentyl:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Lol, if you?re insinuating Kettel is an Aphex Twin (one of my classic favs) wannabe, I couldn?t disagree more. This song may bear some passing similarities with some of Twin?s mid-?90s stuff, maybe the Richard D James Album at points, or maybe you?re referring to the ?squanchy? Roland synth sounds that are prevalent through a lot of Twin?s work (and subsequently in the repertoire of 99% of electronic artists eventually,) but Kettel?s larger body of work is a varied world unto itself, more focused on combining complex rhythm and lush, intricate melody whereas Aphex Twin is most often one or the other. But yes, there is no denying the influence Aphex Twin had on a lot of electronic artists coming out of the ?90s and early 2000s; I?d say Kettel and his like built themselves upon the groundwork laid by the legends of electronic music like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Plaid, FSOL, etc., but I?ll not deny their own, unique (if inspired) talent. I?d offer you give Kettel an honest listen if you?re interested; I was floored when I stumbled upon him 6-7 years ago; highly underrated. I started to recommend specific albums, but stopped when I realized I was listing every album he has up Spotify; they each fuckin? great!

All good, it did remind me of RDJ which I've been listening to (again) recently. I absolutely love most of Aphex Twins work so it was a compliment if anything.

Xprimentyl:

Casual Shinji:

Pseudonym:

Thank you both so much; I really appreciate it. So it is Dutch, then? Some sort of domestic spat that escalated into public, and Kettel in his studio recording this track, caught the audio, and said ?meh, fuck it; I?ll leave it in!? Listening again now, and yes, it does sound like something crashing from a height, and that?s certainly the way my voice would sound if my gf tossed my shit out a window. I wonder if that (ex)couple knows their ugly business has been captured for posterity at the tail end of this contrastingly beautiful piece of music?

And for your kindness in translating, two fun facts: The growling you can hear near the end is sampled from the original Doom videogame (the demons dying noises) and Kettel composed the original score for the PlayStation 3 game ibb & obb; never played it, but I own the soundtrack.

When was that song created? Might just be a sample from a then popular viral video on the internet. There is a Dutch website that hosts all kinds of funny and "shitposty" videos, it's pretty big and relatively popular with certain young people, it could be a sample from there, hard to tell without a timeframe though.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Xprimentyl:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Lol, if you?re insinuating Kettel is an Aphex Twin (one of my classic favs) wannabe, I couldn?t disagree more. This song may bear some passing similarities with some of Twin?s mid-?90s stuff, maybe the Richard D James Album at points, or maybe you?re referring to the ?squanchy? Roland synth sounds that are prevalent through a lot of Twin?s work (and subsequently in the repertoire of 99% of electronic artists eventually,) but Kettel?s larger body of work is a varied world unto itself, more focused on combining complex rhythm and lush, intricate melody whereas Aphex Twin is most often one or the other. But yes, there is no denying the influence Aphex Twin had on a lot of electronic artists coming out of the ?90s and early 2000s; I?d say Kettel and his like built themselves upon the groundwork laid by the legends of electronic music like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Plaid, FSOL, etc., but I?ll not deny their own, unique (if inspired) talent. I?d offer you give Kettel an honest listen if you?re interested; I was floored when I stumbled upon him 6-7 years ago; highly underrated. I started to recommend specific albums, but stopped when I realized I was listing every album he has up Spotify; they each fuckin? great!

All good, it did remind me of RDJ which I've been listening to (again) recently. I absolutely love most of Aphex Twins work so it was a compliment if anything.

Ah, gotcha; I've been listening to Aphex Twin for decades (had the VHS of the "Windowlicker" video if that dates me at all,) so I'm right there with you. But my recommendation of Kettel (and myriad others who've worthily carried the torch forward from "The Greats") still stands fervently if electronic music is at all your thing like it is mine.

bluegate:

Xprimentyl:

Casual Shinji:

Pseudonym:

Thank you both so much; I really appreciate it. So it is Dutch, then? Some sort of domestic spat that escalated into public, and Kettel in his studio recording this track, caught the audio, and said ?meh, fuck it; I?ll leave it in!? Listening again now, and yes, it does sound like something crashing from a height, and that?s certainly the way my voice would sound if my gf tossed my shit out a window. I wonder if that (ex)couple knows their ugly business has been captured for posterity at the tail end of this contrastingly beautiful piece of music?

When was that song created? Might just be a sample from a then popular viral video on the internet. There is a Dutch website that hosts all kinds of funny and "shitposty" videos, it's pretty big and relatively popular with certain young people, it could be a sample from there, hard to tell without a timeframe though.

Looks like the album that track came from ("Myam James, Part 1") released in early 2008.

Xprimentyl:
Ah, gotcha; I?ve been listening to Aphex Twin for decades (had the VHS of the ?Windowlicker? video if that dates me at all,) so I?m right there with you. But my recommendation of Kettel (and myriad others who?ve worthily carried the torch forward from ?The Greats?) still stands fervently if electronic music is at all your thing like it is mine.

Can't claim it is unfortunately. I don't know why exactly but Aphex Twin (or rather Richard D James) has some sort of spark in his music which makes me love it, almost all of it, which is saying something since his stuff is so varied. Please don't ask me to pin down what it is because I couldn't tell you.

Outside of that I don't really like electronic music, unless its that progressive goa trance stuff which seems to be really popular at the moment, and I only like that under very... Specific circumstances, which is only 2 or 3 times a year.

I gave Kettel a try and didn't really "get" most of what I listened to, if that makes sense. Still, your thread indirectly set me on an Aphex Twin binge which was long overdue, so thanks for that. Ptolemy is still an absolute banger.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here