Gamefaqs acting dumb dumb

Apparently as of today, gamefaqs.com decided to give up on its previous domain of being gamefaqs.com and became a subdomain of gamespot.com.

Who over at gamefaqs got drunk and decided that this would be a good idea?

Going from an independant domain to becoming a messy looking subdomain, who comes up with this?

Below is a part of a faq from gamefaqs on the matter.

WHAT'S THIS ABOUT GAMEFAQS MOVING?
On February 6th, GameFAQs moved from its old home at "www.gamefaqs.com" to "gamefaqs.gamespot.com". It's the same site, same content, same team, same owner, same everything, only the domain name has changed.
WHY IS GAMEFAQS CHANGING ITS DOMAIN NAME?
The primary reason for this domain change is to show that as a collective, GameFAQs and GameSpot are the definitive, largest destination for gaming on the Internet. By combining our strengths and hosting the sites on the same domain, we will offer the largest and most comprehensive place to go to for anything gaming.
IS GAMEFAQS MERGING WITH GAMESPOT?
No. We're not moving any content or resources over to GameSpot; the message boards, FAQs, Answers, are all staying on GameFAQs. We've always shared cheats between the sites, and we'll keep linking GameSpot news stories and videos from GameFAQs, but there's no real changes there either.
ARE YOU SURE GAMEFAQS ISN'T MERGING WITH GAMESPOT?
Yes. We're only changing the domain name.

I haven't looked at GameFAQs for guides since 2006-9

Wikias and Youtube Walkthroughs has since replaced it for me. Much more orginized and categorized.

Also what are the concequences of becoming a subdomain to a larger domain?

Samtemdo8:

Wikias and Youtube Walkthroughs has since replaced it for me. Much more orginized and categorized.

Shared hosting fees, probably.

I can see the reasoning/ "dick waving" by a parent company wanting to enforce branding.
But yes Dumb and unnecessary for such an established site.

They're owned by the same company anyway, a merger would just mean employees getting sacked.

GameFAQs are still useful every once in a while for the old guides and cheats. I'm glad they're keeping it online at least.

Holy crap GameFAQs is still a thing?

Don't think I've been there since around 2006

Tank207:
Holy crap GameFAQs is still a thing?

Don't think I've been there since around 2006

I'm legit amazed too!

That's weird. I like looking through some of the threads on there sometimes when I'm looking for opinions about specific games, and the faqs are still useful on occasion too, and far far far better than the guides on other sites that are on 20 pages for clicks or the stupid youtube videos where you have to skip through a 20 minute video to find the one thing that you want to know. Nothing beats a huge page with nothing but text for ease of use!

I don't really visit guides on GameFAQs either, unless I'm playing some older games that is. What I use GameFAQs for are the boards actually, I routinely visit the boards of games that I'm currently playing. Certain boards are quite active and a good place to have some fun conversations. With general forums such as the Escapist it can be hard to start up a conversation about a particular game, I find that GameFAQs' boards help in that; everyone on a particular board is interested in said game.

Samtemdo8:

Not too much, it just looks ugly, is a pain in the arse to write and detracts from the GameFAQs brand by making it subservient to GameSpot.

Although users don't notice it all too much, I guess that it also makes it easier for GameSpot and GameFAQs to share their cookies.

That site is so bad. It's pretty much built on hypocrisy, harassment and borked priorities.

Maybe the merger can fix that.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here