What do you think of the forum's health bar ban system?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's unfair. It takes way too long (six months without infractions) to be reduced one level. I always assumed your oldest infractions drop off after six months, but no, you can be held accountable for things you did years and years ago. Six months without infractions is kind of a lot to ask with how some of the people here act. Like, this one guy badgered me with dumb, loaded questions a couple of months ago, so I told him to fuck off with his loaded questions. There's this other guy who brings the worst out of me after he's argued endlessly with every other thing I've said for a year. I just don't think this system is helping when the forum is almost dead.

You get five chances to screw up before you even get suspended. Sounds pretty lenient to me. And as someone who almost got banned and waited the two years for a total health bar reset, if you keep doing things for mod infractions, it's on you.

I am still on Probation, no idea how long will it take.

Also this is the only Forum Community that does this as far as I am aware.

Eh, I have no real complaint about the health bar. My only real complaint would be that infractions are applied unevenly. Like, why do some users just get their posts edited or removed, while others get a warning?
But the Bar system seems to work fine by me

Not really been that involved with it to have an opinion one way or the other. I had exactly one infraction marked on it, and I managed to get the mods to take it back off again when I argued my case.

Yeah, no. You could make a case against pretty much any forum ban system, including this one, but I'm not buying it from the guy that goes "this one guy badgered me" and "this guy brings the worst out of me". No, your actions aren't somebody else's fault. And eight strikes should be more than enough to learn the lesson.

Also, "Six months without infractions is kind of a lot to ask with how some of the people here act" implies it's out of your hands and you're gonna keep at it, you're just sorry that at your rate the warnings are inevitably going to pile up.

I think the health bar system is fine in principal, it just makes a triangle of doom with the style of moderation and certain users. Each of the 3 is fine on its own but the combination can be pretty toxic/dysfunctional.

i am a lurker but when i do say things i try to refrain from saying things that could get me into trouble and i have zero marks on my health bar was close to premaban

I dunno, I have been around here ages and I haven't had any trouble with it.

I think it's gonna stay whether we like it or not and discussion about it is now pretty irrelevant.

I have never gone as far as to get suspended, but I'm not a big fan of it.

Don't feel like writing up too much, but what I dislike about it is that the sum of one's infractions doesn't always total up to the final punishment, which is a ban. In general I'm personally in favor of suspending people for X amount of days, up to a week or so, rather than banning, but that's a different story altogether.

Don't think that anything is likely to change on this site though.

By the by, welcome back Ezekiel.

I don't think it's so much the problem with the health bar but a problem with something else I'm not allowed to say because this isn't the Wild West.

Ezekiel:
It's unfair. It takes way too long (six months without infractions) to be reduced one level. I always assumed your oldest infractions drop off after six months, but no, you can be held accountable for things you did years and years ago. Six months without infractions is kind of a lot to ask with how some of the people here act. Like, this one guy badgered me with dumb, loaded questions a couple of months ago, so I told him to fuck off with his loaded questions. There's this other guy who brings the worst out of me after he's argued endlessly with every other thing I've said for a year. I just don't think this system is helping when the forum is almost dead.

Or... Crazy thought here, ignore it maybe? If someone goads you, don't take the bait. If someone is somehow magically able to make you say stuff that gets you moderated then don't respond to them. That is all on you. There is no need to start complaining and throwing a fit over the moderation--much less doing so in one topic, then making another topic just to post that exact same complaint elsewhere. Especially when your first instinct seems to be engaging that very same person you claim you can't be civil with despite knowing how it will turn out.

It isn't like the place wants to die, it looks like you actually want to get perma-banned.

I think its better than a standard 3 strikes system.

Also i find it funny how you think youre not the one st fault when you should have not responded.

Having worked with it, it sucks.
It was far better before that system was put in, if only because the new system automatically goes up to the next level of punishment, whereas before, you could hand out multiple suspensions to people without it going to an automatic insta-ban.

Arnoxthe1:
I think it's gonna stay whether we like it or not and discussion about it is now pretty irrelevant.

Chances are it can't be removed anyway, because there's no one around who knows how.

Maybe I'm just not a hostile poster, even when people really say things that make me ask questions about them...But I haven't had any real trouble with the forum health bar thing.

Like, I think the only two strikes I got where mentioning The Thing That Shall Not Be Named. XD

I was more fine with it back when the site was in a good place. Now though? Well, I think if possible, the amnesty period should be reduced from 6 months to 1 or 2. It used to automatically apply it, but now Basement Cat apparently has to manually do it. Dont know exactly how it works, but it seems he can see some sort of time table for when you get warnings, since when I had a warning that I successfully contested by emailing him, I also had another pip removed due to the amnesty period without asking him.

With our ever shrinking community, I think we should be less prone to such permanent punishment, and yes, I apply this to people I otherwise dont like too, not just for my own sake.

aegix drakan:
Maybe I'm just not a hostile poster, even when people really say things that make me ask questions about them...But I haven't had any real trouble with the forum health bar thing.

Like, I think the only two strikes I got where mentioning The Thing That Shall Not Be Named. XD

On this site, there are may Things that shall not be named.

Also, I go have a kid, take a week off and find out that something actually happened on the site. Disappointing. Now I have to wait another 6mthx before the next one

Ehhh, seems like you've deserved it so far.

Shifting the blame to others or the system doesn't really hold up when your personal conduct is at fault.

Rip Van Rabbit:

Shifting the blame to others or the system doesn't really hold up when your personal conduct is at fault.

You can look at my last suspension. The mod told me not to be rude. I didn't insult the guy. But that's getting off topic. I don't want this thread to be about me.

Ezekiel:

Rip Van Rabbit:

You can look at my last suspension. The mod told me not to be rude. I didn't insult the guy. But that's getting off topic. I don't want this thread to be about me.

Then don't base your argument on:

Like, this one guy badgered me with dumb, loaded questions a couple of months ago, so I told him to fuck off.

There's this other guy who brings the worst out of me after he's argued endlessly with every other thing I've said.

It's completely useless in the site's current state.

Don't even think it functions correctly anymore.

Johnny Novgorod:

Ezekiel:

Rip Van Rabbit:

Like, this one guy badgered me with dumb, loaded questions a couple of months ago, so I told him to fuck off.

There's this other guy who brings the worst out of me after he's argued endlessly with every other thing I've said.

If you think holding someone accountable for what they said years and years ago is alright, then fine, but I think it's ridiculous and unfair. Six months is far too long. It's insane that I need to wait three years for all my points to drop off. The person that you're handing out this kind of permanent punishment for (the one who you think was insulted) probably barely even cares, and users aren't so distressed by talk of piracy that the guilty party needs that held against them forever.

Ezekiel:

Johnny Novgorod:

Ezekiel:

If you think holding someone accountable for what they said years and years ago is alright, then fine, but I think it's ridiculous and unfair. Six months is far too long. It's insane that I need to wait three years for all my points to drop off. The person that you're handing out this kind of permanent punishment for (the one who you think was insulted) probably barely even cares, and users aren't so distressed by talk of piracy that the guilty party needs that held against them forever.

Learn to use the Ignore option.

Ezekiel:
It's insane that I need to wait three years for all my points to drop off.

Three years and six months.
Just learn to move along dude. Online arguments are 100% inconsequential, if you get such agita from them you shouldn't bother.

Does the thing even work right anymore? I'm pretty sure it's broken like a lot of the site's features.
Anyway I was pissed off when they first implemented it. Mostly because I because when they brought in the heath bar I was immediately bumped up to being on probation because I had like 2 infractions before hand. I was pissed about that and complained, but my complaints fell on deaf ears.
All in all though it seems like a decent enough system, assuming it's even working. As for your situation, it sounds to me like you only have yourself to blame. Sure the other person may be goading you, but it's still on your to respond. And I'm pretty sure on many other forums you would've been banned by now so I think the system is pretty lenient.

Canadamus Prime:
And I'm pretty sure on many other forums you would've been banned by now

I was never suspended from Gametrailers, even when people found me so depressing that I decided to start going by the name Killjoy. A lot of people got banned from GT, but I never even received any warnings, from what I remember. I've been on MyAnimeList for ten years and have never been suspended. I only remember receiving one or two warnings. I've never been banned from Steam.

The only forum that I've been banned from is Giantbomb. I was too negative for them. They finally suspended me for "shitposting" when I said I already deleted Evil Within 2 and mentioned how disappointing it was in a thread about a first person add-on, then banned me when I came back to the thread, explained myself and asked for justification. They always delete posts like that to make themselves look good. Their system works so that users can suspend you for anything, without approval from a mod. That place is so fake.

Johnny Novgorod:
Yeah, no. You could make a case against pretty much any forum ban system, including this one, but I'm not buying it from the guy that goes "this one guy badgered me" and "this guy brings the worst out of me". No, your actions aren't somebody else's fault. And eight strikes should be more than enough to learn the lesson.

Also, "Six months without infractions is kind of a lot to ask with how some of the people here act" implies it's out of your hands and you're gonna keep at it, you're just sorry that at your rate the warnings are inevitably going to pile up.

Just learn to move along dude. Online arguments are 100% inconsequential, if you get such agita from them you shouldn't bother.

Preach, louder for the people in the back, can I get an amen, etc etc. The thread could've ended right here. The system's fine. The consistency from the mods is the only thing that should be considered an inconsistent factor, the health bar itself is excellent. You get more than enough chances to not fuck up. And to be perfectly honest, after someone has 3487 posts (as of writing this) and joined on 19 Jun 2013, then that's MORE than enough time to learn what to do and what not to do in order to avoid increasing that bar. There's no excuses after that point.

I find it funny that this is being brought up in its own dedicated thread while the OP is 1 warning away from a banning. What a convenient time to complain the system is wrong. Maybe you should've conducted yourself better to not get there in the first place? Granted, I have seen some mods go a bit overboard with some warnings, so I will concede the possibility that some of those warnings are misplaced. But if I'm to suspect ALL of them are misplaced? Nah, doubt it

Alright. Looked at your profile and I can see that this topic is inspired by "one more strike and you're out".

Look, I've had one pip (as far as I can remember) on here, none on GT or Gamespot and only a couple on Gamefaqs. Most of that was pretty much stuff that I agreed with after the fact. If you're this far down the hole, chance are that you deserve most if not all of it.

Ezekiel:
It's unfair.

"Unfair" is the most common thing someone says when they are punished for their action. It's usually in response for being held accountable for your actions.

Ezekiel:
Six months without infractions is kind of a lot to ask with how some of the people here act.

If you're so easily triggered that you can't refrain from getting yourself in trouble, maybe you need to take a break from the forums. A little time away might help you gain perspective.

Also, as other people have pointed out, saying "it's all everyone else's fault but my own" indicates that it's pretty much your fault. Most of your responses since the first post keep shifting blame away from you. "The system isn't fair." "The mods were out to get me." "Other users are jerks." This is the sort of victim mentality that isn't helping your case. Instead of focusing on how unfair everything and everyone is to you, focus on what you can do to avoid that final infraction.

If that means that you have to start using an E-mail checklist (Work recently distributed one with rules such as "don't write and send stuff when you're angry), then do that.

If it means leaving for awhile to get a little perspective, then do that.

If you just need to put a post-it note near your monitor that says "Keep it to yourself", then do that.

The only thing that you can really change here is your own behavior. Expecting everything or everyone else to change because you can't keep yourself in check is going to leave you disappointed.

Elvis Starburst:
And to be perfectly honest, after someone has 3487 posts (as of writing this) and joined on 19 Jun 2013, then that's MORE than enough time to learn what to do and what not to do in order to avoid increasing that bar. There's no excuses after that point.

I find it funny that this is being brought up in its own dedicated thread while the OP is 1 warning away from a banning. What a convenient time to complain the system is wrong. Maybe you should've conducted yourself better to not get there in the first place?

I never even read how the system works until a few days ago. I just assumed the oldest points drop off after a while, because that would make sense. To be honest, I was ready to say goodbye to this place after last week's suspension, as I felt it was unwarranted (along with the previous infraction that was removed by a mod) and since there's so little activity here anyway, so at this point I wouldn't be too sad about a ban. Seriously, I was planning to end my post (for the thread in question) that I wrote more than a week in advance with "Goodbye." I'm not expecting to have a mod fix those points for me. If I wanted that, I'd contact one.

Also, about what to do and not to do... I don't talk about pirating here. I haven't for a long time. But you're still holding that against me. So, it doesn't matter if I learn not to do it. You can hold it against me forever no matter what. I wonder who the mods are even protecting by giving out these potentially permanent punishments for potentially minor offenses. Are people so fragile that they need this kind of system in place?

Ezekiel:

Canadamus Prime:
And I'm pretty sure on many other forums you would've been banned by now

I was never suspended from Gametrailers, even when people found me so depressing that I decided to start going by the name Killjoy. A lot of people got banned from GT, but I never even received any warnings, from what I remember. I've been on MyAnimeList for ten years and have never been suspended. I only remember receiving one or two warnings. I've never been banned from Steam.

The only forum that I've been banned from is Giantbomb. I was too negative for them. They finally suspended me for "shitposting" when I said I already deleted Evil Within 2 and mentioned how disappointing it was in a thread about a first person add-on, then banned me when I came back to the thread, explained myself and asked for justification. They always delete posts like that to make themselves look good. Their system works so that users can suspend you for anything, without approval from a mod. That place is so fake.

My point was merely that the health bar system makes things less ambiguous than I'm pretty sure many other forums are.

EDIT: Also, you're still responsible for your own actions.

Ezekiel:
I never even read how the system works until a few days ago. I just assumed the oldest points drop off after a while, because that would make sense.

Sounds like someone never read the CoC.

Also, about what to do and not to do... I don't talk about pirating here. I haven't for a long time. But you're still holding that against me. So, it doesn't matter if I learn not to do it. You can hold it against me forever no matter what.

Do you mean "you" as in me, or "you" as in the the mods? Cause I have no idea what you're talking about, I never talked to you about pirating or anything like that.

Again though, if you've paddled yourself this far up shit creek, and considering the CoC has pretty much always explained how the health bar system works... I don't think you actually read the thing. Which is also on you entirely. If you did read the CoC...

"Unfair" is the most common thing someone says when they are punished for their action. It's usually in response for being held accountable for your actions.

Also, as other people have pointed out, saying "it's all everyone else's fault but my own" indicates that it's pretty much your fault. Most of your responses since the first post keep shifting blame away from you. "The system isn't fair." "The mods were out to get me." "Other users are jerks." This is the sort of victim mentality that isn't helping your case. Instead of focusing on how unfair everything and everyone is to you, focus on what you can do to avoid that final infraction.

The only thing that you can really change here is your own behavior. Expecting everything or everyone else to change because you can't keep yourself in check is going to leave you disappointed.

... then this is quote interesting. I dunno if you were hoping everyone would rally behind you and agree, but... That's clearly not happening.

You said you were ready to say goodbye to this place. If you're not willing to realize your mistakes and reflect on the fact you're deflecting blame onto everyone but yourself, maybe it is time to leave? I dunno, up to you really. If you choose to stick around, by all means. But no more of this nonsense of "This guy made me be an asshole" or "I chose not to ignore this guy's badgering" and the like if you do.

I used to be an elitist asshole myself a good 6 years ago, very early on when I joined. Took a few warnings and a few people telling me to cut it out to make me realize I was being a complete cock goblin. So I took that, smartened up, and hey, been squeaky clean ever since. Maybe this is your chance to make a turn around. Ball's in your court!

Never had an issue with it, then again I've never gotten in trouble on here.

Elvis Starburst:
Do you mean "you" as in me, or "you" as in the the mods? Cause I have no idea what you're talking about, I never talked to you about pirating or anything like that.

It's perfectly appropriate, since you support this system.

Also, I don't know why you keep bringing up the irony of me talking about this now. Would this potentially permanent punishment system be more acceptable if I had only three points? Not to me. Six months is a lot of time to draw a mod's attention.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked