Is anyone continuing to use Facebook?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I guess we've all sort of thought that Facebook is using our data for means that we didn't want, and they were reading our messages, but now that it's official...it's really awful. I haven't deleted my account yet, but considering it. Thing is, there isn't anything as useful or large as Facebook. did anyone delete their account?

I held out against it for the longest time.
The thing was that my paternal grandfather, and definitely my paternal great grandfather (quite a mouthful, against the Swedish Gammelfarfar "elder-father-father") are from a place 50 miles north of here. Though my paternal grandmother is from 50-ish miles south of here, all their children moved back north. My father as well, though lastly.
The only real way to stay in easy contact was through facebook, which they frequently use themselves on their ipads and iphones (ugh, brr).

After that I only logged in for a few minutes a day to see if anything family related had transpired.
After 2014 it became more..political. Started following a lot of happenings.

Then another relative moved away. 50 miles south this time.

And now I'm in two hobby-groups. One for finding and identifying mushrooms, the other for finding and collecting coins.

Those few minutes turned into an hour a day all too easy.

There are alternatives, like VK.com and Minds.com but the major problem is getting people to migrate, or join other such sites as well.

Oh yes. The personal integrity and data collection thing.
All too few think of it. I only put out things I feel comfortable sharing with everyone.
No address,no phone number, etc.
Only first and last name on facebook and one photo. No more.
I use several different aliases/handles throughout the internet.
Another big thing is the password. A lot of people use the same one everywhere (together with name).
That is a disaster. I use different ones on each. One part personal, one part related, no part word.

I still have a Facebook account, but I can't even remember the last time I posted anything myself and I was never very active to begin with. As for personal data, there's nothing in there you couldn't easily find out some other way. Just my name and birthday, and the email I used to sign up (which is now defunct).

It's useful. University events and different student groups are neatly ordered. Nowadays rarely just browse my Facebook wall, because of the learning algorithms showing me the same stuff all the time. Anyway, the EU data protection legislation is coming into effect on the 25th of May. FB will have to update the data management tools for each user. We'll see what really changes.

EDIT: I've never used Messenger or the Facebook mobile app, and with the recent news I'm glad I haven't.

Vendor-Lazarus:
my paternal great grandfather

Hmm, you were born in 1985. So that makes him... kinda old. I think I know the guy.

I started a Facebook ten years ago, but promptly deleted it before posting anything. It didn't seem useful without any real life friends. I just reactivated it a month ago to see if it helps improve my social life at all. I don't know if I'm gonna keep it open.

I haven't been paying attention to the news. So it's official that they're doing that eh? I actually don't touch my Facebook that often. I'm kinda scared of what I'll find if I go there between CBC news which I somehow ended up following and some of the political crap my friends post.

To this day, I never had and I never will make a Facebook account.

I was a hipster back in the day thinking Facebook is dumb, we have Cell-phones for communication, so why need facebook and twitter?

I also told Facebook to screw off a long time ago. Twitter even moreso. Forums are the superior social networking tool for me.

"Continuing to use"? The question is wrong.
I never used it in the first place.

Yes? What do I care? Not like I put anything I expect to be private on a social network.

Spying on chat is a bit more concerning, but even without any data sharing it's not like end to end encryption was ever advertised as a feature (right?), so the same reasoning applies. At the very least, the assumption was always that your "private" conversations were subject to Facebook's internal perusal.

Facebook is a tool, use your tools with discretion and use the right tool for the job.

Samtemdo8:
To this day, I never had and I never will make a Facebook account.

Ditto.

Never saw any reason to use it before, now I'm glad I didn't.

I find it too useful for keeping up with friends, plus events.

That and the LARPs I join typically organize over facebook, so if I want information about what's going on, or getting some sweet "downtime" action, I kinda need to be on it.

So I'm kinda stuck. :s

Jadak:
Yes? What do I care? Not like I put anything I expect to be private on a social network.

Spying on chat is a bit more concerning, but even without any data sharing it's not like end to end encryption was ever advertised as a feature (right?), so the same reasoning applies. At the very least, the assumption was always that your "private" conversations were subject to Facebook's internal perusal.

Facebook is a tool, use your tools with discretion and use the right tool for the job.

Part of the problem is the Facebook app on the phone listens in to phone-calls, emails and texts, even outside of Facebook. You use What'sApp for messaging, Facebook is taking a copy of those messages. You place a call, Facebook is logging to whom and for how long. You send an email, Facebook makes a copy.
Hell it came out Facebook was tracking people who didn't even have a Facebook through phone apps!

As for myself I deleted my Facebook account back in '06 after an argument with my then girlfriend who wanted my password so she could change whatever she wanted, delete photos and unfriend people she didn't like, all on my behalf, to make us a better couple. It was either her or Facebook, so I choose neither and haven't looked back since. And with the current news, I don't feel bad about it.

Silentpony:
Part of the problem is the Facebook app on the phone listens in to phone-calls, emails and texts, even outside of Facebook. You use What'sApp for messaging, Facebook is taking a copy of those messages. You place a call, Facebook is logging to whom and for how long. You send an email, Facebook makes a copy.
Hell it came out Facebook was tracking people who didn't even have a Facebook through phone apps!

Wow, wow, wow, wait, what?

I was kinda like yeah whatever about this entire thing, rip to the ladies who sent nudes over messenger I guess but I don't sent dick pics so I'm good. But that last sentence is fucked up. Someone needs to go behind bars for that. Tracked without installing the app? Now how does that work?

I use it to send messages and videos to my gf, friends, and family.

I don't make actual posts though.

Never used it once. I always new that it would become a worse version of MySpace. At this point, Facebook is about to be as dead as MySpace.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Silentpony:

I was kinda like yeah whatever about this entire thing, rip to the ladies who sent nudes over messenger I guess but I don't sent dick pics so I'm good. But that last sentence is fucked up. Someone needs to go behind bars for that. Tracked without installing the app? Now how does that work?

The way it worked was the Facebook app comes pre-installed on phones, and cannot be uninstalled. And even without activating the app, without logging into Facebook through the app or creating a Facebook using the app, the app was already tracking phone usage.
So lets say you get a new iPhone. The facebook app goes 'Oh hey, Riseofthewhitewolf's new iPhone is on! Lets just see what he's doing and send his contacts back to facebook. He thinks that if he never uses me I can't track him, teehee'

It was very very insidious and Facebook still hasn't answered how it was legal and how its not stealing private data.

I deactivated my account before this even happened.
The place is just filled with narcissists, showboaters and political activists who think they are morally superior. It's just turned into one big circle jerk where your either in the clique or youv tuned them out or unfollowed anyway.
Besides I don't want to see your baby, food or your legs on some random beach thanks, I'm good.

Silentpony:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Silentpony:

The way it worked was the Facebook app comes pre-installed on phones, and cannot be uninstalled. And even without activating the app, without logging into Facebook through the app or creating a Facebook using the app, the app was already tracking phone usage.
So lets say you get a new iPhone. The facebook app goes 'Oh hey, Riseofthewhitewolf's new iPhone is on! Lets just see what he's doing and send his contacts back to facebook. He thinks that if he never uses me I can't track him, teehee'

It was very very insidious and Facebook still hasn't answered how it was legal and how its not stealing private data.

Wow thats insanely scummy.

I have the Facebook app on my phone (installed of my own free will) and the thought of them reading my emails is a bit unnerving. Whatsapp and stuff not so much, sure the stuff I chat about is pretty private but its banal enough in the grand scheme of things to be of no interest I guess.

What stops me personally from being too alarmed by all this is that I strongly assume that I'm on 3 or 4 government watch lists already anyway (because of various memberships, downloading TOR, etc) so Facebook is just the cherry on top.

Wakey87:
I deactivated my account before this even happened.
The place is just filled with narcissists, showboaters and political activists who think they are morally superior. It's just turned into one big circle jerk where your either in the clique or youv tuned them out or unfollowed anyway.
Besides I don't want to see your baby, food or your legs on some random beach thanks, I'm good.

I see this complaint all the time. If you Facebook feed is overwhelmingly filled with virtue signalling, showboaters and narcissists that isn't Facebooks fault, you just associate with shitty people.

I deleted my account back when I first realized that Facebook had the ethical standards of the Gambino family, maybe ten years or so ago, and I wasn't on it for very long in the first place. If you do decide to bail on them (and good for you if you do!), bear in mind that you'll likely find it trickier than I did; some people didn't bother responding to the emails I sent, and I've since lost contact with them, and things have only gotten worse since then. You'll find a surprising amount of content gated off behind Facebook's walls- for example, I had a devil of a time in the election last month because several candidates only kept a Facebook page. If I ignore them, am I being practical, or just spiteful?

The are alternatives out there, but while you may persuade a handful of people to set up new accounts, they're not likely to stick to them. Facebook, like EA, has its potential customers divided into two groups: for the first group, it doesn't matter what the company does, they'll stick with it. For the second group, it doesn't matter what the company does, they've already left. (Truth be told, I don't even know what they've done this time; I'm guessing it's yet another massive privacy violation.) My point is, you're not likely to see a massive exodus. Should you leave? Yes, absolutely; even if this particular case isn't especially heinous, sending the message that you have standards is a good thing to do, but you're likely to become a bit more isolated than you already are.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Silentpony:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

I have the Facebook app on my phone (installed of my own free will) and the thought of them reading my emails is a bit unnerving. Whatsapp and stuff not so much, sure the stuff I chat about is pretty private but its banal enough in the grand scheme of things to be of no interest I guess.

What stops me personally from being too alarmed by all this is that I strongly assume that I'm on 3 or 4 government watch lists already anyway (because of various memberships, downloading TOR, etc) so Facebook is just the cherry on top.

I doubt you're on any watch list. There actually aren't nearly as many as people think there are, and most of the time they tell you your on this list or that, and those lists come with legal restrictions, like the No Fly List or the Terrorist Watch List. And having TOR and doing darkweb stuff isn't nearly enough. Watch Lists and active surveillance are expensive to maintain, and are meant to lead to prosecutions, so unless you're doing actively illegal things online and think the van at the end of the block is watching you in preparation for a raid next week, you're fine.

Silentpony:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Silentpony:

I doubt you're on any watch list. There actually aren't nearly as many as people think there are, and most of the time they tell you your on this list or that, and those lists come with legal restrictions, like the No Fly List or the Terrorist Watch List. And having TOR and doing darkweb stuff isn't nearly enough. Watch Lists and active surveillance are expensive to maintain, and are meant to lead to prosecutions, so unless you're doing actively illegal things online and think the van at the end of the block is watching you in preparation for a raid next week, you're fine.

Maybe databank of "increased risk" persons would be more accurate or something, idk. I do know downloading TOR in the USA or Germany will land you in a databank of those countries respective intelligence agencies. I vaguely remember a similar thing about the CNDUK (which I am a member of) and UK government when no trident replacement was really popping off like a decade ago. And then theres all the countless scandals about the Verfassungschutz spying on or not spying on left wing organisations here.

What I'm saying is, when I put all of these things together its rather likely that governments have taken a closer look at me than Facebook. Didn't bother me then, doesn't really bother me now.

I should probably add two more relevant things.

I've never posted a Status update..thingie. Ever.
I only comment and like others posts.

I also don't own a smartphone. At least not one with an internet connection. An old one used as a camera mainly.

I would still be using my Nokia 3510i if it wasn't for the bad charging connection. Had to stand it up, weighing down onto the connector to even get it to charge at the end.
So now I'm using a Samsung GTE 1080 instead.

McElroy:

Vendor-Lazarus:
my paternal great grandfather

Hmm, you were born in 1985. So that makes him... kinda old. I think I know the guy.

Not quite, but doesn't all old people look alike? ,)
I was fortunate to meet both my "gammelfarfar" and "gammelmormor" before they died.
I think I was around 15 when they passed.

I even have a picture of me, my father, my "farfar" and my "gammelfarfar" together in one.
Same with my mother, my "mormor" and my "gammelmormor".
Should probably scan them for the future. Future-proofing the past. ^^

I have an account, i talk to one person and all my details are fake and created just for that account. My friend knows who i am, i just dont trust FB with any of my real information. People need to get on with a real life an use FB once a week or when they have something interesting to say. But people live their whole life on it, faking things to make out their life is good. Obsessing about their friends lives....."friends" that they have never met and never will. Its pathetic. When you turn your laptop or phone off and you have no friends......then you need to sort your real life. Friends online are not real when your alone offline.

Had an account, threw that shit in the trash years ago. Only used it to talk to a handful of people anyway, which I now do elsewhere. The message spying and data collection is extremely old news.

Vendor-Lazarus:
I also don't own a smartphone. At least not one with an internet connection. An old one used as a camera mainly.

I'd be more bored without a smartphone. I commute about two hours a day. I mainly listen to music, using my HD 558 headphones. I've also started using an amp, the FiiO E12A. Over the last month, I watched all the Peanuts specials (ripped from my DVDs) and finished the Tom and Jerry Chuck Jones collection on the train, bus and during my lunch breaks. If I didn't have my smartphone, I'd just be staring at nothing for two hours a day and thinking bad thoughts.

Silentpony:

Can I get a source for this? How can Facebook possibly not be sued billions for this? Facebook is basically malware! Glad I don't have Facebook, or a cell phone.

Drathnoxis:

Silentpony:

Can I get a source for this? How can Facebook possibly not be sued billions for this? Facebook is basically malware! Glad I don't have Facebook, or a cell phone.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-technology/internet-privacy/facebook-tracking-me-even-though-im-not-facebook

The gist is that combined with tracking phone usage, Facebook creates what I'd call Dark-Profiles of people not on Facebook. For example, lets say I do have a facebook, you do not, and we meet up at a Star Wars Con. I take a selfie of SilentPony and Drathnoxis, and post it to my facebook. You do not have a facebook to link to, so facebook takes note of that, and cross-references with my contacts. Lets say your Mom in Chicago sends you a Facebook invite. Well now we know there's some who knows MomDrax and SilentPony and likes Star Wars and lives in Chicago. Now extrapolate my likes, ie liberalism, coffee, ponies, etc, with MomDrax's love of Thanksgiving, and chances are, without you having a facebook, Drathnoxis is from Chicago, likes Star Wars, thanksgiving, ponies, coffee and votes democratic. And that's from 2 people and a single photo
Imagine what it's like for a dozen people and hundreds of photos.

Facebook was tracking and selling that data for marketing.

Silentpony:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Silentpony:

At least this explains why having the facebook app at all sucks the battery out of your phone like crazy. I got 3 more hours a day by jailbreaking and pulling it and a bunch of pre-added apps.

i mainly find facebook useful for organising things with people and keeping in contact with old friends who I don't necessarily have the numbers for anymore. i don't just randomly things post on it.

I read the terms of service a good hour read, years ago and realized it was not for me.

I didn't like the notion of your photos being used for Ad purposes without compensation or control.
Didn't like the wording they used for third party accessibility with the amount of data they were exposed to.

Also that a deleted accounts where not totally truly deleted and could be accessed.

https://www.quora.com/Can-Facebook-honestly-explain-how-long-they-store-data-from-deleted-accounts
https://turbofuture.com/internet/Obsolete-Facebook-Profile-Charade

In the end never signed up ,had other ways of communicating with my office and with my friends.

Ezekiel:

Vendor-Lazarus:

I'd be more bored without a smartphone. I commute about two hours a day. I mainly listen to music, using my HD 558 headphones. I've also started using an amp, the FiiO E12A. Over the last month, I watched all the Peanuts specials (ripped from my DVDs) and finished the Tom and Jerry Chuck Jones collection on the train, bus and during my lunch breaks. If I didn't have my smartphone, I'd just be staring at nothing for two hours a day and thinking bad thoughts.

I read books during my commute. I can heartily recommend it.

Jadak:

OPSec. I don't have anything on my facebook I wouldn't want my ex to see, much less a government or ad agency

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Silentpony:

I hope you guys don't have yahoo accounts anymore, because they are going to start doing the same thing, now. I do get encrypted e-mails so I will be canceling my Yahoo account

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here