Jam - Yahtzee Croshaw

Okay, I know I'm really late to the game here, but I just finished the audiobook of JAM, one of Yahtzee's books (Currently halfway through his collective works now, having just finished Mogworld too). The ending kind of threw me a bit. I liked the wrapping up of Don's character, going on to the US the threaten his boss to get a leg up in his career (though I can't quite remember if he managed to save his build or if he left it on the Obi-Wan). And I like how Travis decides to go back and look for Deidre in a more ambiguous way. I also remember in the last scene before the epilogue, Don still had the flash drive stashed in his stolen trousers, which, implicitly was used by US scientists to create the chemical to cause the Jam to cannibalise itself, but I still have one question...
Did they ever explain where the Jam came from? I understand why the outbreak happened, where Yolanda left it on the roof of the car and drove off (that was a stroke of genius right there, by the way, treating the Jam like I often treat my tea from the shop before getting in my car), but did they ever explain how it was created or where it came from? It's just a nagging question in my head that I still feel I'm owed some closure for.

It's been a while since I read the book, but wasn't it established it was designed by the US military as a weapon that would devour organic material while leaving inorganic (and thus infrastructure) intact?

TrulyBritish:
It's been a while since I read the book, but wasn't it established it was designed by the US military as a weapon that would devour organic material while leaving inorganic (and thus infrastructure) intact?

So sorta kinda like a neutron bomb?

Johnny Novgorod:

TrulyBritish:

So sorta kinda like a neutron bomb?

Yeah somewhat. The Jam would remove all of those pesky bodies and sick folk though.

The problem is that you listened to it instead of reading the book yourself. That is why your memory is crap regarding what happened.

American Fox:
The problem is that you listened to it instead of reading the book yourself. That is why your memory is crap regarding what happened.

Worth it just to be able to hear Yahtzee's sexy voice imitating American accents.

I want to read it but it's out of print. And fuck ebooks.

CaitSeith:
[quote="American Fox" post="18.1054991.24237834"]The problem is that you listened to it instead of reading the book yourself. That is why your memory is crap regarding what happened.

I don't really have time to sit down with a book so I listen to audiobooks while I work.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here