Something is coming

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Hi folks. I hope to have good news for you in the coming days regarding The Escapist's future.

Well then. Guess I should stick around long enough to see what's coming. Hopefully something concerned with escapism for a change.

I remember you!

As long as I'm waiting out the end result of the "In regards to the Wild West" thread, I'll be here. Lurking.

I'll remain hopeful about the news, until proven otherwise.

thats what she said

I wait with bated breath.

Is this another false calling of the end times?

Cause I'm sick of listening to how the Escapist is going to die in X amount of time. Either kill it or make it immortal so we never have to hear how it's dying ever again.

Who... are you?

Johnny Novgorod:

I wait with bated breath.

Mods, this guy for reals or just some elaborate troll?

Silentpony:
Mods, this guy for reals or just some elaborate troll?

I've had relatively minimal contact with Menashe, but he's the CEO of Enthusiast Gaming, who acquired Destructoid sometime last year, if I'm remembering the date right.

So, make of that what you will.

Correct. We acquired Destructoid in June 2017.

you would think a CEO could pick a better avatar

wheres the pizzazz

The writing's on the wall, people. Considering how this site has been fixed by a formerly unknown third party, it's INCREDIBLY likely that Menashe now owns this site.

As to whether it's a good or bad thing, I have no idea. But they can't be any fucking worse than Defy so...

-

Also, yayyy. 4,000th post.

Menashe:
Correct. We acquired Destructoid in June 2017.

So its a Canada based video game related advertising company, that primarily targets male games 20s-35s? And you are Menashe Kestenbaum, CEO of Enthusiast gaming with a degree in Talmduic Law and a Masters in Psychology?

I supposed that's good news in that at least someone will have investment in the site.

Initial reaction:

Post-NewClassic reaction:

Honestly, I didn't know what to make of it, but the explanation of who Menashe is...well it adds significantly more weight to the OP than I originally assumed it had.

NewClassic:
I've had relatively minimal contact with Menashe, but he's the CEO of Enthusiast Gaming, who acquired Destructoid sometime last year, if I'm remembering the date right.

That's all I needed to hear. I'll be bailing out on this joint shortly.

See you all in Hell.

American Tanker:

NewClassic:

That's all I needed to hear. I'll be bailing out on this joint shortly.

See you all in Hell.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
Hmm, then again I don't like the destructoid redesign. Oh, well, things to ponder.

Um... that's great, Menashe. Care to elaborate?

Canadamus Prime:

He owns the site.

Well, this is an interesting development.

I'd just like to suggest, Menashe if I may, that when you take over this place you conduct a thorough and comprehensive review of all the moderators and moderation procedures and rules. Even better, dismiss the entire mod team and open up applications to everyone (the current mods would be free to re-apply for their roles if they so desired).
Sometimes when a business is taken over by new owners, it's not uncommon for existing staff to all have to reapply for their positions, so this wouldn't be unprecedented.

I know this is going to sound like a very demanding request and a tall ask, especially coming from a lowly forum user like myself. But you need to be acutely aware of the history of poor moderator decisions and unscrupulous moderator actions that have happened in the past, and the detrimental and negative effects it's all had on the forum community as a whole.

Looking forward to seeing you turn this place around.

Canadamus Prime:

The people that bought Destructoid now own The Escapist.

I'm just going to watch as this site turns into a place that expunges everyone and everything that's not in-line with Antifa and the worst parts of Tumblr.

American Tanker:

Canadamus Prime:

The people that bought Destructoid now own The Escapist.

I'm just going to watch as this site turns into a place that expunges everyone and everything that's not in-line with Antifa and the worst parts of Tumblr.

We wouldn't want to alienate our incel base

No way. I don't believe it. It's unbelievable.

I guess that would explain why WW was canned.

A happy den of shitposters wouldn't look that great to potential investors and ad providers.

undeadsuitor:

We wouldn't want to alienate our incel base

So, is that meant to be referencing you or Tanker?

Huh...well, this is unexpected. Cautious yays?

I'm very confused as to what is going on.

Go Team Avatar?!?!?

Neat. Hope it's something good.

Fingers crossed.

Arnoxthe1:
Considering how this site has been fixed by a formerly unknown third party

See, I was putting that down to aliens fixing our technology to make it easier to assimilate us at a later date.

But your theory has some merit, too.

As a resident of Destructoid and formerly here, I wish Enthusiast Gaming well in trying to remold this place. Hope everything goes well.

I'd love for this place to become how it was when I joined back in 2009. I'd love to see another March Madness take place her again.

SolidState:
Well, this is an interesting development.

I'd just like to suggest, Menashe if I may, that when you take over this place you conduct a thorough and comprehensive review of all the moderators and moderation procedures and rules. Even better, dismiss the entire mod team and open up applications to everyone (the current mods would be free to re-apply for their roles if they so desired).
Sometimes when a business is taken over by new owners, it's not uncommon for existing staff to all have to reapply for their positions, so this wouldn't be unprecedented.

I know this is going to sound like a very demanding request and a tall ask, especially coming from a lowly forum user like myself. But you need to be acutely aware of the history of poor moderator decisions and unscrupulous moderator actions that have happened in the past, and the detrimental and negative effects it's all had on the forum community as a whole.

Looking forward to seeing you turn this place around.

Might as well make it a policy to recruit only people with zero ties to the previous team, or this community even, as slowly but surely old people will be recruited into the fold and everything would just revert to the old ways. Even if people aren't put into places of power directly, they will more than likely be involved in team related discussions, and in bad scenarios enjoy protection even though they are crossing the lines.

Anything new would be an improvement from the current situation. I just came back here out of curiosity and the front page is a wasteland. Literally only ZP videos and a Twitch embed? Talk about a decline.

bluegate:
Might as well make it a policy to recruit only people with zero ties to the previous team, or this community even

They tried that. The recruitment of that contingent of mods from GameFront a little while ago was as a direct response to the many suggestions from people to appoint moderators with no connections to the site or community.

In the end, those mods all left. Not because of personal issues or real-life commitments, nope, they all left because they found too many users to be insufferable and found the community to be too dysfunctional, and they found it too much of an unpleasant and toxic task to try to keep any sort of order here.

n0e can confirm, he was the one who recruited them.

Will...will this mean we have a tech team?
More content?

SolidState:

I'd wager they'll hit reset on everything anyway; maybe keep around a few of the more senior mods to ease transition or something. And there will probably be massive sweeping changes to the rules. Remember we're basically operating under a skeleton crew who are basically just upholding the 'Don't be a dick' rule.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here