Something is coming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

American Tanker:
The people that bought Destructoid now own The Escapist.

I'm just going to watch as this site turns into a place that expunges everyone and everything that's not in-line with Antifa and the worst parts of Tumblr.

Dunno man, I seem to recall them letting Jed Whitaker go, which I think any reasonable person would see as a step in the right direction at least. Hotels have been known to gain a star just for him checking out.

TopazFusion:
In the end, those mods all left. Not because of personal issues or real-life commitments, nope, they all left because they found too many users to be insufferable and found the community to be too dysfunctional, and they found it too much of an unpleasant and toxic task to try to keep any sort of order here.

Sorry but, you guys trying to "keep order", with the state the site is in now, just comes across a lot like this:

Arnoxthe1:

Canadamus Prime:
Um... that's great, Menashe. Care to elaborate?

He owns the site.

Yeah I got that. I still what him to elaborate on what great things are coming for the Escapist.

Here's hoping the escapist becomes a cam site for gamers.

I am mildly intrigued what this could mean

Here's hoping for good things. I checked out Destructoid and it doesn't seem they have a forum or anything of that nature but they do have actual content and reviews and other things that a real gaming site would have so I'm curious to see if we would be absorbed or if they would repost the content from there or if we would be two completely separate entities...

Either way, whether a rebuild or a bullet, I'm glad to see something is going to happen here.

tippy2k2:

Here's hoping for good things. I checked out Destructoid and it doesn't seem they have a forum or anything of that nature but they do have actual content and reviews and other things that a real gaming site would have so I'm curious to see if we would be absorbed or if they would repost the content from there or if we would be two completely separate entities...

Either way, whether a rebuild or a bullet, I'm glad to see something is going to happen here.

Dtoid used to have a forum (I was on there), but it disappeared a few years ago. I don't remember why.

Wintermute:
Here's hoping the escapist becomes a cam site for gamers.

I...would not be averse to this.

Make it so, CEO dude.

Kotaro:

tippy2k2:

Dtoid used to have a forum (I was on there), but it disappeared a few years ago. I don't remember why.

:/

They better not get rid of the forum here. That wouldn't be "good news". That would be terrible news! Were better off with Defy if that's what they'd do!

StatusNil:
Dunno man, I seem to recall them letting Jed Whitaker go, which I think any reasonable person would see as a step in the right direction at least. Hotels have been known to gain a star just for him checking out.

Firing an individual like Jed Whitaker is only the first step. It's a long road to prove that this site won't turn out like I fear it might.

They could start by openly denouncing that "Gamers are Still Dead, Y'all" article and firing the person that wrote it.

Drathnoxis:

Kotaro:

tippy2k2:

:/

They better not get rid of the forum here. That wouldn't be "good news". That would be terrible news! Were better off with Defy if that's what they'd do!

Given the forum is the only part of this site that continues to really be active, I doubt it. With Dtoid, it might have been related to the fact that they consistently got way more comments on articles and discussions there than they did in the forum. But like I said, I don't remember the exact reason they gave for the closure of their forum.

Kotaro:

tippy2k2:

I can elaborate on why the forums there got shut down. Mainly you had to be approved for membership like how GAF was and the user rate of using the forums as opposed to commenting on articles was rather low. GG also turned the forum into a little place where passive-aggressiveness began to get out of control and eventually the staff decided to shut down the forums. The site had its exodus of users to some new forum that I've not even heard mentioned in ages and others just migrated to the front page or to the newer Quick Posts section which is basically like Twitter in some ways. Destructoid also hopped onto Discord and now has an offical Discord page as well.

Can you tell us how much Yatzhee makes?

Arnoxthe1:

Canadamus Prime:

He owns the site.

So a dumb question: If he's the new site owner, why he is making vague posts on the forums instead of writing up an open letter and having it posted to the main page? Because that would come across as a little more official and legit then "Something is coming".

Dalisclock:

Arnoxthe1:

Canadamus Prime:

He owns the site.

So a dumb question: If he's the new site owner, why he is making vague posts on the forums instead of writing up an open letter and having it posted to the main page? Because that would come across as a little more official and legit then "Something is coming".

There are a bunch of different reasons, but the easiest one is probably a new format roll-out. Blue and those that came before him have done a solid job keeping this thing together over the years internally and externally, but this is an old-ass forum system. More modern forum setups are way easier to maintain and denote different levels of authority to people.

Dalisclock:

Arnoxthe1:

Canadamus Prime:

He owns the site.

Chances are they are in the process still of buying the site from Defy, hence why they don't just outright say it. It was similar for Destructoid a bit during that acquisition, but unlike this site which Defy has abandoned Destructoid's owner was the one who announced the acquisition.

Thaluikhain:
Huh...well, this is unexpected. Cautious yays?

Hopefully it means we will get new content AND an increase to the fun and whimsical members of the Escapist community Forums!

Though others have told us something good was coming before and nothing happened so let's hope this time it's good and for real! :D

The final nail has just been hammered into the coffin & it's about to be buried under articles about how everything is racist/sexist.

Worgen kinda deserved that one...

Also, anyone can say they're anyone with an account and confidence. I'm not calling OP a liar, but I am saying he's been here for 8 months. Has no avatar, no links, and 6 posts to his name. If he's going to find "community leaders" within the ranks, I suggest actually talking to said community. 6 posts is not an informed discussion make. So, until I see some levers and gears moving, I'm going to take all this with a grain of salt.

Armadox:

Also, anyone can say they're anyone with an account and confidence. I'm not calling OP a liar, but I am saying he's been here for 8 months. Has no avatar, no links, and 6 posts to his name. If he's going to find "community leaders" within the ranks, I suggest actually talking to said community. 6 posts is not an informed discussion make. So, until I see some levers and gears moving, I'm going to take all this with a grain of salt.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was hinting at with my post. For a guy who apparently owns the site, a grand total of 6 posts and no information in his profile, posting "Stuff is happening" doesn't exactly impress.

Something like "I just purchased the Escapist. AMA" would be a little more helpful, but I'm still in "Wait and see" mode.

American Tanker:

I'm just going to watch as this site turns into a place that expunges everyone and everything that's not in-line with Antifa and the worst parts of Tumblr.

You wouldn't have been happy unless Return of Kings bought the site, so that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Anyhou, we're at the point of "well, it can only go up from here." so willing to give it a chance.

Armadox:

Thing is, I'm not even asking for that crap out of a desire for a "safe space", nor, unlike Smithnikov's statement, would I want this site bought by Return of Kings.

I just want this site to be about games. Not about the politics of what it means to be a "gamer", because that's not what being a gamer is about. Being a gamer is simply about having a passion for games as more than just a time-wasting diversion. Whether that be by getting invested into lore and settings, or optimizing racing lines and character builds, or just finding new ways to exploit a game's design.

It's about getting into games on a deeper level. Not to sound like a "Stop Having Fun!" type, but being a true gamer requires a deeper investment into gaming as a hobby and lifestyle.

American Tanker:

Armadox:

Thing is, I'm not even asking for that crap out of a desire for a "safe space", nor, unlike Smithnikov's statement, would I want this site bought by Return of Kings.

I just want this site to be about games. Not about the politics of what it means to be a "gamer", because that's not what being a gamer is about. Being a gamer is simply about having a passion for games as more than just a time-wasting diversion. Whether that be by getting invested into lore and settings, or optimizing racing lines and character builds, or just finding new ways to exploit a game's design.

It's about getting into games on a deeper level. Not to sound like a "Stop Having Fun!" type, but being a true gamer requires a deeper investment into gaming as a hobby and lifestyle.

Being a true gamer requires playing games. Whether it be candy crush day after day, or 5 hour sessions of skyrim, they play games. Everything else is fluff simply added to build the speaker up, or tear others down.

"True Gamer" is a relic of days past when gaming was taboo. As most of the world plays games in some capacity, the term should be retired, as it's no longer a defining characteristic solely of geek culture. It's been co-opted. We're the norm now.

Sounds positive to me.

Elijin:

Being a true gamer requires playing games. Whether it be candy crush day after day, or 5 hour sessions of skyrim, they play games. Everything else is fluff simply added to build the speaker up, or tear others down.

That's kind of a silly rhetoric, because board gaming is my primary jam. Videogaming is like third, pen and paper is second. To me, it's all about mechanics and the social skills of gaming that videogames more often than not cannot scratch at all. Like Android: Netrunner ... deception, deckbuilding, strategy, resource management, grit and adaptability. All with asymmetrical gameplay meaning to begood at Netrunner means being good at two very different types of games.

And that to me makes it the best kind of game, and video games can't replicate that experience in the flesh.

Then there's the co-op games like the Arkham Horror: LCG ... which is just wonderful.

Then you have the hidden role games where it's just you and 6+ friends playing Resistance: Avalon... which is just great. Basically being able to look your friends in the eye and bullshit to them. Perhaps even accusing your fellow antagonists to draw suspicion away from yourself. Multiple roles that allow different ways of winning... all with a veil of mystery where nothing feels absolutely certain until the very end (unless you're Merlin,and even then not if there's an Assassin).

And videogames could hypothetically deliver that, but not really.

So from my perspective, a 'true gamer' is someone who plays boardgames as well. At least.

Because board games best demonstrate all aspects of gaming. All aspects of what it is.

Like take Gloomhaven ... roleplaying(lite), brilliant strategy, perfectly balanced, wonderful co-op experience with players actively fucking with you on occasion because of battle goals objectives... wonderful mechanics, emergent gameplay options requiring 3D Chess-like 'party building' where players have to get used to other player's characters, especially when they are retired...

Me and my group play it once a fortnight. Great game, all around.

It's just great.

A simple 'opener game' (being a quick, 'warm up to serious gaming') we routinely play is Fairy Tale in my 5 player group...

Very simple game, yet deceptively clever, deceptively strategic, and a hell of a lot of fun that highlights memory, deception, effective drafting strategy, and takes only 25 minutes to play.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Elijin:

That's kind of a silly rhetoric, because board gaming is my primary jam. Videogaming is like third, pen and paper is second. To me, it's all about mechanics and the social skills of gaming that videogames more often than not cannot scratch at all. Like Android: Netrunner ... deception, deckbuilding, strategy, resource management, grit and adaptability. All with asymmetrical gameplay meaning to begood at Netrunner means being good at two very different types of games.

And that to me makes it the best kind of game, and video games can't replicate that experience in the flesh.

Then there's the co-op games like the Arkham Horror: LCG ... which is just wonderful.

Then you have the hidden role games where it's just you and 6+ friends playing Resistance: Avalon... which is just great. Basically being able to look your friends in the eye and bullshit to them. Perhaps even accusing your fellow antagonists to draw suspicion away from yourself. Multiple roles that allow different ways of winning... all with a veil of mystery where nothing feels absolutely certain until the very end (unless you're Merlin,and even then not if there's an Assassin).

So from my perspective, a 'true gamer' is someone who plays boardgames as well. At least.

I... actually suggest breaking off this conversation about board games/trpgs to it's own topic. I'd like to talk more at length about them with you, and the games you prefer and why...

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Elijin:

Sounds like a long winded way of saying you're a gamer, then a bunch of other fluff which builds you up over others.

American Tanker:

StatusNil:

Firing an individual like Jed Whitaker is only the first step. It's a long road to prove that this site won't turn out like I fear it might.

They could start by openly denouncing that "Gamers are Still Dead, Y'all" article and firing the person that wrote it.

"Fire someone I disagree with!"

I thought you supported free speech?

Dalisclock:

Armadox:

Yeah, that's kind of what I was hinting at with my post. For a guy who apparently owns the site, a grand total of 6 posts and no information in his profile, posting "Stuff is happening" doesn't exactly impress.

Something like "I just purchased the Escapist. AMA" would be a little more helpful, but I'm still in "Wait and see" mode.

I'm actually surprised at the level of transparency here, if Menashe really is buying the site, or considering it. Business negotiations are notoriously delicate and I were under the impression they are generally not discussed in public in any capacity whatsoever until fully concluded.

Also, he said he *may* have good news *in near future*. Maybe he did buy the site, maybe not, maybe he's considering it or maybe he's just willing to let Defy use the streaming window on Escapist's main page to stream reviews of vanilla ice cream he's having made by a half-asleep guy pathologically incapable of expressing emotion.

Finally, someone who should know more than either of us seems to believe him, so there's that too:

NewClassic:

Silentpony:
Mods, this guy for reals or just some elaborate troll?

I've had relatively minimal contact with Menashe, but he's the CEO of Enthusiast Gaming, who acquired Destructoid sometime last year, if I'm remembering the date right.

So, make of that what you will.

So likely this site has been purchased by the guys/girls who currently run Destructoid? Given the below points this can only be a good thing:

1. Destructoid is a decent site that a) has regular content updates, and b) has actual gaming news that is up-to-date and constant.
2. Much as I enjoy Yahtzee's content we need more than just him on the site. Destructoid has actual content creators.
3. A proper tech team!

On that note there need to be a massive number of changes to the site if it's to survive, while I'm in full support of Enthusiast Gaming they have a lot of work to do given Defy ran it into the ground. New mods certainly (while keeping some of the old team who are still decent), get rid of the Wild West forum entirely (and ban quite a few of the people who post there - obviously not all, but the troublemakers definitely), and hire a decent set of content creators, who they're able to actually pay and work with in a positive way (I'm guessing quite a few of you will be too recent to remember the fallout from creators like Jim Sterling and the guys behind Extra Credits especially).

Put it this way. I joined wayyyyyy back in 2008 and became a very prolific member of the community, and relatively well known. A couple of years ago I stopped posting as often and this now is the last post I've made in about a year (I still occasionally visit just to see what's going on). If this is news enough for me to make this post and welcome the announcement then it's pretty damn welcome news, not to blow my own trumpet. While I'm still somewhat sceptical because of how far down the site has fallen, it's worth keeping an eye on. I look forward to the coming weeks and months with a degree of caution, but healthy optimism too.

(oh, and just a side note but one I dare say many would be grateful for - regarding the Publisher's Club. Many of us were granted Pub Club membership when the original tech team were fired, yet even though it's still active we still have many of the issues that membership is supposed to get rid of, most notably pop-up adverts. While I don't mind adverts per se could the new regime please look into this and maybe either restore the non-advert site for Pub Clubbers, or just make them less intrusive? Thank you :D )

Trivun:
get rid of the Wild West forum entirely

While it hasn't quite been subject to damnatio memoriae...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055188-In-Regards-to-Wild-West

Zykon TheLich:

Trivun:

While it hasn't quite been subject to damnatio memoriae...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055188-In-Regards-to-Wild-West

Fair point, I hadn't actually seen that until after I made my post. Pleased to hear about it though :)

Trivun:
...get rid of the Wild West forum entirely (and ban quite a few of the people who post there - obviously not all, but the troublemakers definitely)...

Well. Same to you, buddy.

You've been away a long while, haven't you.

Trivun:

As it's been pointed out the Wild West has already been closed

Trivun:

and ban quite a few of the people who post there - obviously not all, but the troublemakers definitely

You've posted in the Wild West. We're going to need more specifics about who deserves it.

Trivun:

I'm guessing quite a few of you will be too recent

Mostly just long time posters left now. No reason for new users to sign up. Most will have seen it. Any new posters that appear are suspiciously familiar with goings on .

Trivun:
most notably pop-up adverts. While I don't mind adverts per se could the new regime please look into this and maybe either restore the non-advert site for Pub Clubbers, or just make them less intrusive?

Blame Kross

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or