Something is coming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

undeadsuitor:

American Tanker:

StatusNil:
Dunno man, I seem to recall them letting Jed Whitaker go, which I think any reasonable person would see as a step in the right direction at least. Hotels have been known to gain a star just for him checking out.

Firing an individual like Jed Whitaker is only the first step. It's a long road to prove that this site won't turn out like I fear it might.

They could start by openly denouncing that "Gamers are Still Dead, Y'all" article and firing the person that wrote it.

"Fire someone I disagree with!"

I thought you supported free speech?

One could almost call it enforcing political correctness...

I dont think OP is the owner of the site as of now. I think it's more "i think to buy the site" situation. We have a confirmation of it's identity from the mods, so this might be serious.

Anyway, anything is a good thing for the site. Yahtzee cannot sustain the whole site by himself for long.

If something do happen, and the site do get back on it's feet, i think they should hand us t-shirts "i survived the escapist exode"

Sooo, does the forum flipping out have anything to do with this? Or is it just pure coincidence?

OH GOD WHY IS EVERYTHING ON FIRE.

vallorn:

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH-

Drathnoxis:
Sooo, does the forum flipping out have anything to do with this? Or is it just pure coincidence?

I wonder, because we were supposed to get news by now. Maybe this is the moment before we get a clue?

vallorn:

It's the end of the world. Repent!!!!!! REPENT I SAY!!!!!!!!!

Catfood220:

vallorn:

It's the end of the world. Repent!!!!!! REPENT I SAY!!!!!!!!!

I gonna die how I lived

Looks like themis-media.com got moved

I sincerely thought that the forum was gone by now. Maybe this will be the last post? It would be an honor for me, my dudes.

American Tanker:
They could start by openly denouncing that "Gamers are Still Dead, Y'all" article and firing the person that wrote it.

Nineteen other articles, and still this is the one everyone picks on.

You'd think, by now, you folks would learn to accept that social criticism has a place in the gaming space. But yet here we still are, and somehow, the opinion that lead to that article only feels more accurate the longer people glower in its direction.

NewClassic:

You'd think, by now, you folks would learn to accept that social criticism has a place in the gaming space. But yet here we still are, and somehow, the opinion that lead to that article only feels more accurate the longer people glower in its direction.

Similarly, they might learn to accept that the greatest measurable impact "social criticism" has in hobbyist media is to divide everyone along political lines, as opposed to bringing everyone together around the things they love, but I guess people will take what they can or will from any given set of circumstances.

vallorn:

It is all your fault for saying that Brits are polite. XD

Either that or the Volcano in Hawaii is hitting the Escapist.

Ogoid:

NewClassic:

Similarly, people might learn to accept that the greatest measurable impact "social criticism" has in hobbyist media is to divide everyone along political lines, as opposed to bringing everyone together around the things they love, but I guess people will take what they can or will from any given set of circumstances.

Yea, I remember when game developers moved to appeal to Athletes to expand their audience and profits. Some made a big deal out of it at that time, but no where near as bad as to when they moved to include females as well. Make gaming target both Athletes and Females?! All hell broke loose.

American Tanker:

Canadamus Prime:
Um... that's great, Menashe. Care to elaborate?

The people that bought Destructoid now own The Escapist.

I'm just going to watch as this site turns into a place that expunges everyone and everything that's not in-line with Antifa and the worst parts of Tumblr.

They fired Jed who was the opposite of that.

If the site has new ownership, why am I still getting shitty ads on mobile that take up half the screen

Because you don't use FireFox?
XD

Ogoid:

NewClassic:

Similarly, they might learn to accept that the greatest measurable impact "social criticism" has in hobbyist media is to divide everyone along political lines, as opposed to bringing everyone together around the things they love, but I guess people will take what they can or will from any given set of circumstances.

So they should just be quiet? Can't tip those apple carts.

What the community could have done was discuss this commentary. But they decided to get triggered over it. "Can't have people talking about games now. That would affect my free speech."

trunkage:

What the community could have done was discuss this commentary. But they decided to get triggered over it. "Can't have people talking about games now. That would affect my free speech."

I'm not sure I understand.

People should absolutely talk about games; but if they're going to go bringing politics and ideologies into it, they should be prepared for the very same kind of inflamed, vitriolic and, quite frankly, tedious squabbles that inevitably follow those - especially if you're going to proclaim that bringing politics into a certain hobby is as much an inevitability as the sun rising in the east, and to disagree with that premise simply means you're on one particular side of the divide (to wit, the wrong one, which makes you a thoroughly contemptible excuse for a human being).

I don't know whether you remember how gaming discussions online used to go, a decade or so ago, before "social criticism" became an apparent sine qua non requirement, but as I seem to recall it, they used to be less hostile than they have since become, not more. And personally, I miss those days.

American Tanker:
Being a gamer is simply about having a passion for games as more than just a time-wasting diversion.

And from where do you think the self-analysis of what it means to be a "gamer" comes? Cthulhu's awakening? Passion for games is just the starting point (the point where just playing games as a time-wasting diversion isn't enough), because that same passion motivates people to search for more ways to experience it and to express it (including writing articles about self-analysis of what it means to be a "gamer").

Ogoid:

trunkage:

People should absolutely talk about games; but if they're going to go bringing politics and ideologies into it, they should be prepared for the very same kind of inflamed, vitriolic and, quite frankly, tedious squabbles that inevitably follow those - especially if you're going to proclaim that bringing politics into a certain hobby is as much an inevitability as the sun rising in the east, and to disagree with that premise simply means you're on one particular side of the divide (to wit, the wrong one, which makes you a thoroughly contemptible excuse for a human being).

I don't know whether you remember how gaming discussions online used to go, a decade or so online, before "social criticism" became an apparent sine qua non requirement, but as I seem to recall it, they used to be less hostile than they have since become, not more. And personally, I miss those days.

you mean the days where we argued countless hours about graphix vs gameplay and guys could get away with saying Titties or GTFO without anyone telling them to STFU and girls just played male characters instead of female because it is easier to do without the hassle?

Reality is those days were not any better, it just takes a rough patch to get to the point of it being better, sort of what we have had to deal with in Medicine. At one time a female physician was very limited in what she was allowed to do and they literally had to promote female physicians to be male doctors superiors and fire/ terminate hospital rights to the male doctors that had a problem taking direction from a woman. It took sheer force to make them accept female physicians as being their equals. The same thing happens in every area as that area progresses. It was just time for gaming to catch up. Hopefully we will go through the rough patch now so that our kids and their kids do not have to because we didn't get the job done right the first time.

baalaagaa:
The final nail has just been hammered into the coffin & it's about to be buried under articles about how everything is racist/sexist.

>Been a member for 8 years
>This is his second ever post

Holy Yahtzee.

OT:I'll guess I'll be logging on daily from now on. Regardless of whether this is good or bad, at least the site is going to be active for the next few days/weeks.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

baalaagaa:
The final nail has just been hammered into the coffin & it's about to be buried under articles about how everything is racist/sexist.

>Been a member for 8 years
>This is his second ever post

Holy Yahtzee.

OT:I'll guess I'll be logging on daily from now on. Regardless of whether this is good or bad, at least the site is going to be active for the next few days/weeks.

Take a closer look at their first post...

Maybe this advice was applied..

Ogoid:

People should absolutely talk about games; but if they're going to go bringing politics and ideologies into it [...]

The thing I've never understood about this line of argument, is why games should strive to be so utterly unique in avoiding politics.

Every other art form has tackled politics (and the criticism/ commentary that has accompanied it has, necessarily, discussed those depictions). Every art form: literature, film, television, theatre, even traditional forms like painting and sculpture.

What makes games so special, making only certain topics-- and not politics-- suitable subjects for depiction and critique? Why afford them so much less respect than the other forms?

Are games really such a lesser form, that social issues are somehow unsuitable to depict and discuss? I don't think so; I rather think I respect the medium a bit more than that.

Silvanus:

Ogoid:

People should absolutely talk about games; but if they're going to go bringing politics and ideologies into it [...]

The thing I've never understood about this line of argument, is why games should strive to be so utterly unique in avoiding politics.

Every other art form has tackled politics (and the criticism/ commentary that has accompanied it has, necessarily, discussed those depictions). Every art form: literature, film, television, theatre, even traditional forms like painting and sculpture.

What makes games so special, making only certain topics-- and not politics-- suitable subjects for depiction and critique? Why afford them so much less respect than the other forms?

AND who are these gatekeepers who decide what is and is not acceptable to discuss? Political discussion has always been a part of gaming community as far back as I can remember, who are these guys coming in imposing their will on everyone as to what is allowed to be discussed? I guess we are supposed to just pretend the whole gaming community wasn't discussing the whole Iran contra affair blowing up in the late 80's early 90's? The Monika Lewinsky affair in the late 90's? One of my gaming friends gave me a buddy the dog meanie baby with panties in it's mouth during that. I have no idea where these new guys coming in are getting the idea that this was not a thing just about everywhere in the gaming community at the time.

In addition, I do not even really consider it "political" for developers to expand their target audience, as that is just good business sense rather than making a political statement.

Silvanus:

Are games really such a lesser form, that social issues are somehow unsuitable to depict and discuss? I don't think so; I rather think I respect the medium a bit more than that.

Games can tackle any subject their creators feel like tackling, as far as I'm concerned, though I'm equally at a loss as to why the medium's respectability would be contingent on its necessarily addressing any specific topics.

If, however, there was to be a complete hegemony of politics and ideology in the coverage of said games - yes, a wild flight of fancy on my part I know, but bear with me here - which not only judged games in accordance to the politics and ideology in question, but maintained that this was the only possible way to judge games, and that to disagree was simply evidence of one's own political and ideological stances instead of, I don't know, wanting to simply talk about some damn video games for a change, I daresay the level of discourse around the whole subject would be lowered rather than raised...

...You know, hypothetically speaking.

Lil devils x:

you mean the days where we argued countless hours about graphix vs gameplay and guys could get away with saying Titties or GTFO without anyone telling them to STFU and girls just played male characters instead of female because it is easier to do without the hassle?

Well, if you like the way things have been for the last 4 or so years better, then be of good cheer; because right now, there seems to be hardly anything on the horizon other than a whole lot more of just that.

Hmmm, well I can still post so...

Let's see where this takes us.

Ogoid:

Silvanus:

Games can tackle any subject their creators feel like tackling, as far as I'm concerned, though I'm equally at a loss as to why the medium's respectability would be contingent on its necessarily addressing any specific topics.

If, however, there was to be a complete hegemony of politics and ideology in the coverage of said games - yes, a wild flight of fancy on my part I know, but bear with me here - which not only judged games in accordance to the politics and ideology in question, but maintained that this was the only possible way to judge games, and that to disagree was simply evidence of one's own political and ideological stances instead of, I don't know, wanting to simply talk about some damn video games for a change, I daresay the level of discourse around the whole subject would be lowered rather than raised...

Lil devils x:

Well, if you like the way things have been for the last 4 or so years better, then be of good cheer; because right now, there seems to be hardly anything on the horizon other than a whole lot more of just that.

I didn't like how the past 10 years have been going for gaming but that is not due to "inclusion" politics, it has more to do with investors calling the shots and the economy not being well enough to allow for more quality Indy development.

I see investors having too many hands in the cookie jar as being the problem with stale games and poor content because they milk the tried and true dry and are not willing to take risks. I am not expecting the good stuff to come from them, I expect it to come from individuals having enough free time to create what they want to play rather than making games for the sake of profits. Once we reduce poverty and increase support of the middle and lower class globally to where less people are spending all of their time struggling to survive and have higher education paid for resulting in more coders, and have more free time on their hands to create what they want to play, I hope we will see a renaissance in gaming as there will then be far more quality and selection to choose from.

The staleness we are experiencing is due to greedy investors milking every cent and the economy not being strong enough to allow for widespread independent creation not due to developers attempting to expand target audiences. A good deal of gaming resources are also currently being dumped into VR. That is great for people who want that but for the rest of us, it just makes the gaming landscape more barren for the types of content we are interested in.

Redlin5:

Cat-sneks are best sneks.
I also seem to be able to post, but my Avatar has gone missing. Oh well.

Roxas1359:

Redlin5:

I just had a post rejected, let's see if my avatar is back, and this even shows up, but your avatar is back for me

Roxas1359:

Redlin5:

I didn't know you were here, Roxas.

RaikuFA:

Roxas1359:

Redlin5:

I didn't know you were here, Roxas.

I've been here for years man. I left this place mostly in 2015 for DToid though and only lurked the forums occasionally. My old usernames here were Maxieon and Neronium.

Profiles seem to have been nuked but avatars in threads show up for me.

vallorn:

It's not that everything is on fire; it's that fire is on everything.

Ogoid:

It's not contingent; it would be a bizarre and pointless omission, though, and would indicate a lack of respect for the medium's capability.

Just like it would be a bizarre and pointless omission in critique, as well: every element of an artistic piece is fair to be discussed in critique.

Ogoid:

But that isn't the case. I've never once seen anybody say political ideology is the only valid way to judge a game-- not even a single random commentator, let alone an actual pundit or professional critic.

I've also quite consistently seen criticism from various different perspectives. For every review that focuses on social impact, there are more that focus on gameplay, and usually several which disagree on those gameplay elements. I can't remember any game for which the critical response was completely uniform, and focused only on political characteristics.

The complete hegemony is imaginary.

Ogoid:

Lil devils x:

How, in detail please, has the inclusion of politics led to the current state of "live services," lootboxes, and all-or-nothing generic mega-releases by the big publishers?

I'd love to see some evidence backing that up. Occam's razor and common sense would say that these ever worsening money-grubbing trends are due to the big publishers focusing on making large amounts of short-term money to appease their shareholder masters, but, please, explain how Kotaku criticizing teenage pantie shots or ridiculously unnatural and oversized bouncing boobs in reviews is the real reason.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here