Getting 502 Bad Gateway errors often with this site.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Am I the only here, and any explination as to what's going on?

No, me too. The site's a bit of a mess right now.

No, the site has been somewhat more broken than usual for about a week now. Depending on what you believe, it is either the final dying gasps of the site before it finally breaks beyond use. Or its the result of someone actually fixing the site.

The fact that the site started breaking after someone claiming to be someone from the company who owns Destructoid said that things were happening, I thought it might be related to that. But seeing as we have heard nothing since that thread creation, I'm beginning to think that maybe we were trolled.

Catfood220:
No, the site has been somewhat more broken than usual for about a week now. Depending on what you believe, it is either the final dying gasps of the site before it finally breaks beyond use. Or its the result of someone actually fixing the site.

The fact that the site started breaking after someone claiming to be someone from the company who owns Destructoid said that things were happening, I thought it might be related to that. But seeing as we have heard nothing since that thread creation, I'm beginning to think that maybe we were trolled.

So what's gonna happen to my account if this site suddenly goes the way of the Dodo?

We now have official confirmation that the site is being "actively worked on". So hopefully whatever they're working on doesn't take too long, and the problems will all be fixed soon.

Like IceForce said, Kross is apparently back and working on the site behind the scenes. Although it's just him vs probably a whole slew of stuff that needs doing, so things may be wonky for some time still. I don't think he'd work for free either.

So somebody is probably spending money on this place, which may mean that something actually is coming.

Chimpzy:
So somebody is probably spending money on this place, which may mean that something actually is coming.

It's probably Winter.

I'm getting 502s and have also had a couple of 504s, which is 2 worse than 502.

KingsGambit beat me to it, but 502s and the odd 504s.

Oddly, when I get that after posting, the post seems to still get through.

Now the avatars below people's usernames have disappeared entirely for me, leaving only text. Spooky

Elvis Starburst:
Now the avatars below people's usernames have disappeared entirely for me, leaving only text. Spooky

Yep, this has happened to me as well. Any solutions?

Silvanus:

Elvis Starburst:

Yep, this has happened to me as well. Any solutions?

Try going here and enabling avatars a try

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/forum_options

Gauche:

Success!

My usual threads don't load unless I go through the pages randomly on the index. Eventually I find one.

Gauche:

That works for a bit, but every time I close the tab and come back, the settings are re-disabled. Any idea about what I can do?

Yeah, I've had to refresh whatever page I'm trying to look at one to five times whenever I get that.

Elvis Starburst:

Gauche:

That works for a bit, but every time I close the tab and come back, the settings are re-disabled. Any idea about what I can do?

On my end after setting "Disable Avatars" to "No" and hitting "Update Forum Options" I get sent to my profile with a notification "Your profile has been updated!"

Returning to http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/forum_options will result in the settings all displaying "Yes" as if the settings haven't saved - this however is not true

While profile avatars are still the default yellow-shirt-black-cap-man, forum avatars are indeed re-enabled

The setting hasn't reverted for me yet
If it is for you I have no real solutions unfortunately

Quote notifications don't but manually checking the message drop down reveals if you've been quoted/messaged or not

Anybody know where to set the forum time?
I think I recall changing it once..loooong ago.. but I can't find it now.
It says 09:35 but it is 13:35 here.
Slightly difficult to estimate new posts. ,)

Oh, yes. I used to only get a 502 error when posting a few days ago.
Now I get 504 errors all the time when loading sub-forums.
Which refreshes into 502 sometimes..mostly stays 504 though.
Given enough time (and F5's) the pages loads fine.

There is one thread that appears sunk ..but I don't want to call attention to it, if it is due to Mod action though...

I read that Kross is helping people working on this site, so that looks good in any case.
Might be a lot fewer servers..that could explain the bad gateway errors..possibly.
Or not..I don't know.

I suspect this is an inelegant way of stopping the spambots without using captcha. But I don't know how the inners of the site work, so it's mere speculation.

Nope, not just you. I've been getting 502 and 504 errors all over the place.

It's worse than ever now. Couldn't open any tabs at all. I barely got in here.
504 and 502 all over the place.

*EDIT*
504 as usual when I tried to post this.
Had to refresh via F5 12-15 times..

I have a feeling this is the end of the line.

Have a lot of fond memories of this place from the last 10 years, it's a shame to see it go out like this.

Should the site finally go down before I visit next, take care everyone.

Yeah, I've been getting 502's and 504's for a couple days now. Sometimes refreshing will connect, other threads will simply refuse to load.

If this is the end of the line, any suggestions for forums to go to? The Escapist has pretty much been my home base for a decade now, I haven't really looked into other gaming forums to participate in.

Edit: assuming I can even load up the thread to see replies......

CaitSeith:
I suspect this is an inelegant way of stopping the spambots without using captcha. But I don't know how the inners of the site work, so it's mere speculation.

We had offers on cool new passports that would totally fool anyone earlier today, so I don't think its working if thats the goal. My guess is server handoff but who knows.

and just like that everything seems to be fine again. Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm not getting 502s and 504s at the moment.

Major Tom:
and just like that everything seems to be fine again. Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm not getting 502s and 504s at the moment.

everything seems to be back again for me too

however the profiles details seems to be gone, and the time seems to be set at 0 gmt

Canadamus Prime:
Nope, not just you. I've been getting 502 and 504 errors all over the place.

Fairly common for me to be unable to load this very thread.

Looks like quote notifications are busted again. That didn't last long.

At the risk of jinxing it. It seems to have stablized for the moment.

EDIT: and the moment I pressed post, I got a 502 error :P

Errors appear to be back and better than ever now :(

Major Tom:
If this is the end of the line, any suggestions for forums to go to? The Escapist has pretty much been my home base for a decade now, I haven't really looked into other gaming forums to participate in.

I've been using the rss to read posts - http://rss.escapistmagazine.com/forums/threads
Entering a thread is dreadful

Warcry forums still work - http://www.warcry.com/forums/
You can log into the site with the same info as you use on the Escapist
Users here could post there for the time being (would take a sticky for awareness though)
Bad news: some CSS is missing so it isn't organized well

edit: Never mind, Warcry is currently gone

As a real suggestion:
https://www.gamerzunite.com/forums/index.php
I like the site and the forums e place is a ghost town
In my search I wasn't able to find a gaming news site with a forum I liked besides that one
Best of luck to you

I dunno about the rest of you, but yesterday I was getting straight up service unavailable errors in addition to the 502s and 504s. How bad is that for a sign?

Major Tom:
I dunno about the rest of you, but yesterday I was getting straight up service unavailable errors in addition to the 502s and 504s. How bad is that for a sign?

I started getting 503s so I guess that's new ground being blazed.

I couldn't get in at all from 19:00 the day before yesterday to yesterday at 17:00 or something.
503's all the time.

Shadow the final destroyer! Shadow the final destroyer! Shadow the final destroyer! Shadow the final destroyer!
Shadow the final destroyer! Shadow the final destroyer! Shadow the final destroyer! Shadow the final destroyer!
Shadow the final destroyer! Shadow the final destroy For the sake of creation all must be from chaos unto order!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here