Your life events through the life of The Escapist

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I've been coming to this site for a long time. Looking back, I've had a lot of things happen in my life over the last 10 years. I joined when I was still living with my parents, and working as a game tester for Microsoft (Lol Too Human, does anyone even remember that game?), and as the years progressed, I moved out to a house with some highschool friends, got a job at a warehouse for a year and then got into IT work. Now I have plans to buy my own house in the next year or two because I just landed an IT job that looks like it will take care of me quite well.

So what's happened to you since you joined? Are you in a better place or worse?

That Yatzhee at one point destroyed my enthusiam for gaming and replaced it with cynicism and jadedness.

Something I am trying to get out of. But other youtubers shitting on the gaming industry is not helping matters.

2008 is when I graduated college...

I too am trying (though I am currently failing) at buying a house. This is kind of a shit market right now for buyers where I'm at at least and I'm right on the edge where the houses I can afford are beaten up and kind of janky (which are being bought by flippers, leaving people like me out in the cold) and the houses I can juuuuuust barely not afford are actual livable homes.

Second profile so, yeah, I've been around a decade as well.

Ten years ago I had hope. Now, well...now I'm a cynic who hopes for Star Trek but thinks Alien is more likely.

Well, I did stop doing all that heroin, so there's that. The Escapist was a big part of giving me something to do while I cut myself off from that particular social circle. Thanks escapist.
Other things have happened, but I'd say that was probably the most significant. Most other things that have happened can be linked back to that anyway.

I'm no longer happy with where I'm living and working though, I'm planning to move back to my home town by this time next year after 15 years away.

Can't quite believe that back when I joined the site in 2010, I was still in school. Well, my last few months. Since then I've gained a degree in biology, did a slight shift into physics and then recently started training to be a tax accountant. Eight years though... time flies, right?

First degree, second degree, professional standing, extra management accolades (horseshit mostly but its more letters). Mostly collecting letters really, but hey, it hasn't made me happy but I'm not NOT happy so that's cool.

Last Year of High School - Expanding my social circle with friends who weren't mired in the culture of my hometown by posting here, optimism, goofing off. Post count really exploded over these early years. There Will Be Brawl

Early University Years - Big shocks to my naivety, posted a thread about my dog dying here, The Susan Years, things stabilized although content creators begin to slip away as time wore on. Doraleous and associates

Later University Years - LRR goes and with them the last of my non-Yahtzee content creators I enjoy, watching the cracks begin to show, trying to Escape my own impending responsibilities like any good student. Met some very important people to me. Forum Games winds down. We lose Kross

Now - No management, given a hammer, Discord (regrettably, still like this forum format best) has become what these forums used to be for me for daily chatting, old habits and yay responsibilities are here! 502 BAD GATEWAY

5 Aug 2009

Feels like ages ago. A lot has happened to me off-site. I'm sure a lot of people who have been ironically and unironically called 'Old-scapist' in the past have the same feelings. That was 8 years, 9 months, 9 days and roughly 17 hours ago.

2 kids and bought a house. And stayed at the same job doe 6 years now. It's been a big life change

Redlin5:
...regrettably, still like this forum format best...

I know, right? I don't spend much time on any forums at all these days, but I feel like social media in particular killed forums as a concept. Shame, because I refuse to engage in social media, and they don't offer the same format that forums do anyway.

Well, I graduated high school, flunked out of university, got a tech diploma, worked five different jobs, briefly relocated to East Europe (twice), spent three years in the States, nearly died of parasites in Cambodia, and took assorted religious classes in pursuit of staffing them.

Escapist was a hell of a time sink through all that for eight years. Wow. Thanks, y'all.

When I first joined here in 2008 I was still in high school. Over the last decade of being on here, I've finished high school, been through Sixth Form, got a degree, played a festival, made a funk album, taught at two schools and as of now I'm a year into my postgrad. Also got to moderate on here (twice, must be a mad bastard!)

I finished army service when I was still lurking without an account in 2012. I got into university of applied sciences that eventually got me my rather useless "bachelor of media" or whatever it ought to be called. Then I applied to Medical School twice and got in last spring. Also I've managed to get my weight back to what it was in the army (lost 15kg, though not all at once). Been on a date once during all this time.

Dang, when did I sign up? 2011?

Welp, I was in school back then. Left school, worked as a janitor for two years for almost no payment, started an apprenticeship working in tax administration, failed that apprenticeship, worked as a mailman, worked in a factory as a temp job and now I'm making another apprenticeship as a secretary where I do a lot of work for less than 500 € a month. So, basically, my life got worse ever since I've created an account here. I'm pretty sure it's not your fault, though.

i signed up in april 2009 ? Wow, that's a long time... i had two kids, i got my first house, and sold it, so that i can buy a bigger and better house (and actually a new house, not a used one).

i was working as a sale representative in a company that were selling computers to other companies, and i hated my job. i took a nigth class to get a college diploma in computer science, and got as IT for the government in a public hospital.

i smashed my first new car in a head to head collision with an SUV (i had a yaris, which is super compact), got a new one, resold it and buy a minivan because kids.

i gave up smoking, then two years after, i started smoking again for 6 months. then i quit for two more years, then i restarted again for a year, the i quit again for a year, and i started again... now i'm planning on quitting smoking...

My dad died, my wife dad's died, my wife's grand mother died, 4 hamsters and 12 goldfish died. but i got a new cat !

so yeah, i joined at 29 years old, and now that i'm almost 39 i must say that the past decade have been really good for me in general.

2009?!

Apparently I watched ZP (and a bit of Unskippable when that came along) for 2 years without seeing the need to make an account.

Joined in August of 2011; at the time, I'd been away from home for just over a year with the full expectation that I'd be returning within the subsequent year (still hasn't happened,) had four girlfriends, had three cars, my cousin had a major life-changing accident, I went to New Orleans twice, I skied for the first time, I boated and watched cliff diving in Possum Kingdom, I had a threesome, I went kayaking and camping twice, I slept under the stars, I finally saw my favorite NFL team play and win handily in arguably football's grandest stadium, I met my favorite author twice, I had to put my 12-year-old dog to sleep and became a godfather. Oh, and I ate sushi.

cathou:
i signed up in april 2009 ? Wow, that's a long time... i had two kids, i got my first house, and sold it, so that i can buy a bigger and better house (and actually a new house, not a used one).

i was working as a sale representative in a company that were selling computers to other companies, and i hated my job. i took a nigth class to get a college diploma in computer science, and got as IT for the government in a public hospital.

i smashed my first new car in a head to head collision with an SUV (i had a yaris, which is super compact), got a new one, resold it and buy a minivan because kids.

i gave up smoking, then two years after, i started smoking again for 6 months. then i quit for two more years, then i restarted again for a year, the i quit again for a year, and i started again... now i'm planning on quitting smoking...

My dad died, my wife dad's died, my wife's grand mother died, 4 hamsters and 12 goldfish died. but i got a new cat !

so yeah, i joined at 29 years old, and now that i'm almost 39 i must say that the past decade have been really good for me in general.

Maybe try vaping? Helped me a lot. These days I just suck on glycerin vapor with minimal to zero nicotine.

EvilRoy:

cathou:

Maybe try vaping? Helped me a lot. These days I just suck on glycerin vapor with minimal to zero nicotine.

yeah i've think of it, but i'm kind in a denial state. nobody except my wife know i'm smoking. none of my coworker know i'm smoking, my kids never saw me smoke... i'm like a closeted smoker. so, going for vaping would had myself admiting that i'm a smoker.

i assure you in my head it make sense!

Same job, same apartment, same health issues.

When I joined 8 years ago, I was a 30-something no-life loser.

8 years later, I am a 30-something no-life loser.

I first heard about the escapist, because I was watching Halo Wars reviews, and I stumbled across the ZP video on it. I then lurked for about 7 months, before finding the forums and deciding that I want to respond to something. I remember a thread about what the worst thing you had ever eaten was. It was great.

In my life, though, when I joined, I was... 13? Probably a bit too young, but here we are. So, safe to say that I was still in school back then.

Since then, I have done my GSCEs, started my A-Levels, dropped out of college, and done an apprenticeship in IT. Im just about to leave my current job as an IT tech at a school, to go and join a bank's IT Team, so it is a pretty big accomplishment for me.

Its been a big old run on the Escapist.

Since joining this site I've finished secondary school, done a four year college course, and then decided to take a few months off. Those few months are now approaching three years without a huge amount to show for it.

I tried to be in a band for a while, but that all fell through (though I maintain it wasn't my fault). I have just finished recording my first solo album though, so that's something. I have, in recent months, been thinking about what I want out of life and what I need to do to achieve those things, and I think things are looking well for me. Hell. 24's a good enough age to start trying to get your shit together. I'll be fine.

Samtemdo8:
That Yatzhee at one point destroyed my enthusiam for gaming and replaced it with cynicism and jadedness.

Something I am trying to get out of. But other youtubers shitting on the gaming industry is not helping matters.

See I like the cynicism and jadedness. Its a good counter-balance to the AAA trend following and desperate marketing ploys. And maybe I'm cynical, but it seems the cynics and jades are right more often than not.

No Man's Sky has a billion-gillion-GooglePlex planets sized universe so large no one will ever meet another played. And my jaded thought was 'I'll bet they're lying about that'
Or TitanFall 2 claiming it has a full length campaign that's not just a multiplayer demo, and my cynicism didn't believe it for a second.

Just saying, when it comes to games and marketing, its easier to assume they're lying than take what they say as a truth.

I was 15 when I created this account... ah shit, I've been visiting this site for 1/3 of my entire life.

Signed up late in September of '08 while on a two/ two and a half year run of unemployment (put in applications but nothing took). Got hired on st one retail chain- got let go at the end of the ninety day probation period for just barely failing to meet expectations, got diagnosed with mild ADHD (more attention problems than hyperactivity) and medication for it.
Got hired on at a different retail chain-passed their ninety day probation period eventually quit taking the ADHD meds because I didn't like the side-effects. Worked at the same store for about seven years and recently transferred to a different store working the opening shift (4:00am to 1:00pm).
I've also started looking into taking compute programming courses so I can eventually move away from retail and have decided to start working on a handful of fantasy novel/short story ideas that I've had bouncing around in my head for several years now.

I cared for my father during his final years before he passed away, Sold my house, have been travelling to countries all over the world,(although not for recreation, either for Medical conferences or with MSF), contracted a "superbug" while doing so that knocked me down for a while and I may never fully recover from it but am glad to have survived, most everything else is still the same...,

Thank you for making me feel old there :P

Let's see... I graduated from university in 2012.

Was cheated on by my boyfriend at the time. Met another one. Had a long distance relationship. He cheated on me. Met the man I'm with now, and have been with him for five years now. I've been penniless, been lost and confused. Got my first job working in GAME, then in other places. Got fired for something I didn't do. OH moved out of my parents house. Got 2 cats. Made some damn good friends and lost some old ones.

Stopped playing league of legends and started playing Final Fantasy XIV.

It's been a great 8 years guys. At some points I wouldn't have gotten through it so well without this forum. Thank you.

Fostered over a dozen puppies (so sad when they leave you, but I kept one!), bought and sold a house, ended a very unhappy marriage and went from not being able to cook at all to being a pretty kick-ass amateur chef.

Aw man, 2011. I was a young lass of 25 at the time, and now I'm 32. Jesus, I'm old.

I was working all over Phoenix in bars, clubs, theatres, churches, and some random places for sound gigs. Got a pay cut from a place that used to give me steady pay. Got mad and went back to school out of spite, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Went some really awesome people that I would call my closest friends.

Moved out of the country to Vancouver for graduate school, and living in a place with two other people. They're good boys. And I broke my right ankle back in February that needed surgery and now I'm walking kinda sorta again.

Some major things and some minor things happened as well, but I have discovered that Vancouver has amazing scotch so I don't think I'll ever leave.

Oh, I even went to the two Escapist Expos! Met some great people, some forum peeps, and the staff and content creators that were still around. Good times, man.

Been a wild ride, let me tell you.

Oh, I thought this was going to be about the impact the Escapist had on us, not just about our lives.

Because, man, has the Escapist ever had an impact on me. It expanded my taste in many genres of media, there have been so many great games/shows/youtube channels that I've discovered through the Escapist. In fact, I started relying on these forums for honest opinions on games, which were far more valuable than any review. Reading these forums has expanded my worldview on a great many issues and topics. Who I am, and what I currently believe has been influenced a great deal as a result of being exposed to so many differing perspectives and ideas on these forums.

My biggest regret is that I didn't start to actively post here until after the site had already passed it's heyday. But lurking was a lot of fun too.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
When I joined 8 years ago, I was a 30-something no-life loser.

8 years later, I am a 30-something no-life loser.

If only all of us could have made such progress!

Since joining this place?

• 2009: Started A Levels
  • 2010: Appointed a mod here
  • 2011: Left the mod team to get ready for uni
  • 2011: Started uni
  • 2011: Came out as bi
  • 2013: Got my first job
  • 2014: Had my first experience of a career in research
  • 2015: Graduated
  • 2015: Started my PhD
  • 2015: Got into running
  • 2017: Did my first 10k
  • 2017: Came out as trans
  • 2018: Did my first half marathon

I joined in the middle of a failed attempt at my first year in college. Since then, I've gotten a degree, done nothing with it, gotten married, gotten two kids, and one fuckload less of free time.
On the whole it's been a decent ride.

2007-2008: Zero Punctuation was my only connection with the Escapist. Was faffing about at uni with duel degrees in Comp-Sci and Sociology.

2009-2011: The golden age of the Escapist. Was a halcyon time in my life when I dropped out of university to get a degree in IT at a polytech (technical college for you burgers).

2012-2014: The decline of the Escapist. The in-between years of life where I was caught in the maw of Arse Effect 3's terrible ending (where the Escapist staff stuck up for those of us on the correct side of history) and figuring out how to go from polytech to my current job.

2015-16: The Derek Smart dick-sucking years of the Escapist. Multiple surgeries to remove potentially cancerous moles and starting my journey to where I am today work wise.

2017-: The end of the Escapist. Satisfactorily where I am work and life wise, though might move away for a fresh start.

Neonbob:
I joined in the middle of a failed attempt at my first year in college. Since then, I've gotten a degree, done nothing with it, gotten married, gotten two kids, and one fuckload less of free time.
On the whole it's been a decent ride.

Dude, I remember when you joined because I laughed my ass off at your avatar, and you only had like 22 posts at the time. That was back when I had been a member for just over a year at that point, on my original profile; Darth Mobius.

I had a bit of a melt down after my daughter died, and ended up getting banned, but came back quietly several months later and mostly kept to myself, mainly using the page for keeping in touch with my old friends rather than trying to stir up shit or get back at anyone who may have felt like I was going to be a trouble maker.

I got my shit in order, bought a project car, moved on with my life, had a kid with another woman and also helped her raise her kids, and we have been a family for 7 years as of the 13th. I still pop in every once in a while to watch the videos and rarely discuss things, but mainly still come for the videos, so it shocked me to find out how little traffic there has been here for quite a while because I just never really posted.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here