Let Us Say Hello And Goodbye Together!!! CELEBRATE THE ESCAPIST!!!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I believe the rumours of this website's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Silentpony:

Marik2:
Lol, chocolate pickles got banned.

Wow, I legit didn't see that coming. I didn't think his post of calling me a coward was even warning worthy...

He was a truly toxic person. They were just waiting for the right moment to ban him.

Silentpony:

That's one thing I do teach pupils - most people bluff and back down instantly.

Now I'm curious about what you teach them to do in the cases when it isn't a bluff.

Samtemdo8:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Bye all. I will miss being called a nazi.

Well with that avatar, I am not surprised you are.

Varg memes aside, thats why I love him. He triggers do gooders so much due to his beliefs, which people will happily portray as destructive while sipping on a Starbucks latte and scrolling though an iPhone. Varg himself chills out on a self sufficient farm far away from other people. No one better to shove a mirror in their hypocritical faces.

CaitSeith:

Silentpony:

That's one thing I do teach pupils - most people bluff and back down instantly.

Now I'm curious about what you teach them to do in the cases when it isn't a bluff.

One thing that's very important to teach people in Krav is that you win 100% of the fights you walk away from. Never, ever go looking for a fight. An actual self-defense fight is insanely dangerous, will cost thousands of dollars in legal fees, and you will be hearing from your opponent every year with lawsuits and counter suits for medical bills, or trauma, therapy, etc...
However if you enter what I call a 'Krav Universe' where you are suddenly fighting for your life, don't lose. That's not a fight you can afford to lose, and there is no morality in fighting. Nothing is off limits, nothing is unfair. If you have to smash someone with a coffee mug, push them into traffic, stab them with a pen, whatever, do so.

In the hypothetical case of a bar bully, you never want to openly just challenge someone. But if he's actively trying to fight you, number one thing to do is protect your head, and number two is to constantly shout for help and that you're being attacked. Now this is not to actually get help - not really. The help is useful. The shouting is for any police reports later. You want witnesses to go 'Oh yeah, I heard CaitSeith shouting for help. He sounded really scared' and 'SilentPony kept attacking him even after CaitSeith shouted for him to stop'

It makes your attacker look even worse, and it makes whatever you did to him - smash a beer bottle on his head and slash his face with the jagged edges for example - perfectly justifiable because you felt your life was threatened and your attack was actively ignoring verbal commands to stop.
And that's something we actively train. When we run drills and scenarios, we are expected to shout out 'Help help!' or 'He's attacking me' or 'Back away! Help help!'

I miss the old days as well.

I loved the comics and the videos and the articles and the when the forum was only super toxic in the Wild West.

Now where am I going to shitpost at 5am while looking after a basket of newborn puppies? Thats literally when I do most of my posting on here.

I leave you all to your own devices for 5 hecking minutes and this is what I come back to? Should send you all to your rooms without dinner.

Seriously though, you guys have gotten me through some goddamned bad times. You've made me laugh, cry, want to gouge my eyes out sometimes... but I always came crawling back to you. If this site goes, I'll be damn proud I was ever a part of it.

See you in the next life I guess.

Be on your best behaviours now!

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Samtemdo8:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Bye all. I will miss being called a nazi.

Well with that avatar, I am not surprised you are.

Varg memes aside, thats why I love him. He triggers do gooders so much due to his beliefs, which people will happily portray as destructive while sipping on a Starbucks latte and scrolling though an iPhone. Varg himself chills out on a self sufficient farm far away from other people. No one better to shove a mirror in their hypocritical faces.

All I can say is he's a very pretentious nazi/white supremicist.

What is it with northern scandinavians being so racial and nazi symphethizers, and especially gung ho about their Viking past?

Samtemdo8:
All I can say is he's a very pretentious nazi/white supremicist.

What is it with northern scandinavians being so racial and nazi symphethizers, and especially gung ho about their Viking past?

Yeah, what is it with that? Sweden is just the worst, total bastion of nationalism.

Seriously though, of course thats all you can say. Thats the funny bit to me. In practical terms Varg leads a better life than all of us.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:
He triggers do gooders so much due to his beliefs, which people will happily portray as destructive

Pretty sure that is what happens when you burn down multiple buildings and murder your best friend, fam. People who do that tend to get portrayed as destructive.

Well it's been fun. All that's left for me to say is

Errors seem to hit some people more than others.

Sometimes good for me, other times it takes a LOT of effort to open a thread. This was one of those times.

Anyway.

OT: Treating every post like my last, thankful for the years here and I hope the best for the users as they find other haunts. This place was a hive of activity for many years I suppose could be formative for me, glad I was able to enjoy it.

Marik2:

He had a good run. So much for people saying the death of the Wild West was encouraging him to make better posts.

Drathnoxis:

Marik2:

He had a good run. So much for people saying the death of the Wild West was encouraging him to make better posts.

No, I said the death of the Wild West would filter out our more toxic community members. It would seem I was right.
Because I'm always right.

Can I make my own goodbye thread

Wintermute:
Can I make my own goodbye thread

Sure, I dont see why not. As long as theres discussions value like your top 5 moments or best threads or whatever, you can totally make a thread.

Drathnoxis:

Marik2:

The wild west just needed a no death threats and call out thread rule. That was what was ruining the fun for everyone.

I enjoyed posting on the Visual Novel group page back in the day. Now those were some good times

springheeljack:
I enjoyed posting on the Visual Novel group page back in the day. Now those were some good times

That was a fun place. Got me into a niche hobby.

If this is indeed the end, godspeed ladies and gentlemen (and the rest of you degenerates).

BreakfastMan:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:
He triggers do gooders so much due to his beliefs, which people will happily portray as destructive

Pretty sure that is what happens when you burn down multiple buildings and murder your best friend, fam. People who do that tend to get portrayed as destructive.

The churches had it coming and so did Euronymous(no idea where you take the best friends thing from)

springheeljack:

Does Phoenix Wright count as a Visual Novel? If so, the genre actually has merits.
What aboot Planescape: Torment?

Another victim of gamergate - this site become so toxic at the high of that it killed the site, ah well all good things must come to an end

TopazFusion:

ResonanceSD:
Let's aggressively moderate the users with no consistency then take a weak-ass position on issues affecting gaming, then blame the audience

- Some super successful website, somewhere. Oh wait that was you lot.

Bitter until the very end. Good show.

If their last contribution on the grave of the escapist is an epitaphs of what caused its demise, it is still being infinitely more beneficial to the world than the actions of the ones that so eagerly rushed it to the grave in the first place.

Marik2:

springheeljack:

Same man same. Hey if you are still playing the vn's you should join Fuwa

springheeljack:

Marik2:

springheeljack:

Same man same. Hey if you are still playing the vn's you should join Fuwa

Didn't know fuwanovel had forums. I only lurked 4chan for VN news.

Chimpzy:

Marik2:
Seems the 504 has calmed down

Addendum_Forthcoming:
The 504s and 502s seems to have drastically reduced. There's no more bots rushes. So that would suggest people have fixed things, right? Which is a good sign...

True, although there's still plenty of stuff busted. Things are looking up slightly.

But NOT ENOUGH to prevent me from being deliciously dramatic about it:

But the page, loading lonely on the placid screen, displayed only
That one word, as if its soul in that one word it did outpour.
Nothing farther then it uttered, not a thread did not stutter
Till I scarcely more than muttered "Other forums have flown before
On the morrow it will leave me, as my Hopes have flown before."
Quoth the page "504."

Well... as long as your drama is delicious, I can't fault you for it.

Can I get a childhood friend of yours murdered by a 504 error as you fall to your knees, cradling their head as they drift into oblivion and death in the rain?

The Escapist, the site that folded faster to CIG than Gawker did to Hulk Hogan; truly the site of the "ethics and journalism" crowd.

As a Derekologist I'm not going to miss this site in the slightest...but as a Ponibooru refugee, I sincerely sympathise with those of you who will. I wholeheartedly will you all well in your future endeavours and luck in finding a new home o7

Souplex:

springheeljack:

Does Phoenix Wright count as a Visual Novel? If so, the genre actually has merits.
What aboot Planescape: Torment?

It technically is a visual novel crossed with a point and click game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here