Deadpool 2 - Spoilers territory

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ok, so i just saw Deadpool 2. Again, if you havent read the title, i will comment about everything in the movie, so full spoilers ahead. if you dot want to read spoilers turn back now

now

ok, you've been warned.

So, first of all, it was very funny. I laughed a lot in that movie. The story have more depth than i was expecting. The dead of his girlfriend is a really emotionnal moment in a movie that is not really driven by emotions. It lead to more caracters developpement than the first one i think. Beside that, the action is really great. CGI is a little let down sometimes, but not enough to pull you out of the movie. The Bond type opening sequence is gorgious.

now the jokes. the three moment i laught the most in the movies is first when deadpool says that the X mansion is always empty when he's there, why the studios cant affort another mutan than colossus, and that you see all the x-men behind him shutting the door.

the second moment of course is the X-force team up. i mean all the trailers shoewd them, the marketing seems to heavily focus on them, then they jump off the plane... ad they all die. great brad pitt cameo as the vanisher (not sure of his name, in french they say fant?me (ghost) but i heard vanisher in a review)

and the post credits scene when deadpool killed x-men origin deadpool, and ryan renolds before he signed for green lantern.

beside that, they often do jokes about the comic book movies in general, both DC and Marvel, and they all land pretty well. the scene when he grow his legs back is funny, but drag too long for me.

i put a solid 8 out of 10 on this one

so have you seen it, what did you thought of it ?

cathou:

So, first of all, it was very funny. I laughed a lot in that movie. The story have more depth than i was expecting.

Agree there, but...

The dead of his girlfriend is a really emotionnal moment in a movie that is not really driven by emotions.

Disagree. Venessa's death is a textbook example of "fridging." Her death is only used to drive Wade's character. And given where she's shot (just below the shoulder), how does she die so quickly?)

It lead to more caracters developpement than the first one i think.

Sort of agree, but it isn't its strong suit. Both Deadpool 1 & 2 are insane, but Deadpool does a lot better (FYI, I loathe Deadpool 1).

Beside that, the action is really great.

Agree.

CGI is a little let down sometimes,

Disagree.

The Bond type opening sequence is gorgious.

Disagree. It pokes fun as to how it killed off Venessa, it doesn't change that it's lazy writing.

now the jokes. the three moment i laught the most in the movies is first when deadpool says that the X mansion is always empty when he's there, why the studios cant affort another mutan than colossus, and that you see all the x-men behind him shutting the door.

It's a good moment, though I'm left wondering where in the timeline this film takes place.

the second moment of course is the X-force team up. i mean all the trailers shoewd them, the marketing seems to heavily focus on them, then they jump off the plane... ad they all die.

All but Domino you twat.

But yes, that sequence is glorious.

great brad pitt cameo as the vanisher

That was Brad Pitt?

Huh.

i put a solid 8 out of 10 on this one

7/10. #2 XCU film for me.

so have you seen it, what did you thought of it ?

See above, but I'll give more thoughts in the "rate the last movie you saw" thread at some point in the future.

I never thought Deadpool was good enough to headline his own movie, and he really isn't. Half of his jokes are so obvious as to not even be jokes anymore. Just going around like 'the Green Lantern movie was bad! Cock! #DeadpoolDP!' isn't enough to carry a joke, let alone a scene or a movie. Deadpool is way too self aware and #Cock to be taken seriously, and yet way too serious to be funny and use the self awareness well.

He's very one-note, good for a single side gag in another super hero's movie, but he can't hold it on his own. And this movie cements that. It was boring, stale, predictable, lame, cringe-worthy and not nearly as good as the subpar first movie, which at least had never been done before, bless its failed little heart. A sequel just takes away the one thing Deadpool has going - there hasn't been a Deadpool movie before - and leaves the movie to just kinda flounder. Like you know how when you cut the head off a chicken its at least a little funny to watch it run around in dying spasms before your shame and guilt kick in? Well DP2 is cutting the head off a second chicken, but you skip the amusement and just go right into the self hate as to why you murder animals for amusement.

I liked the sequel more than I did the original, which is faint praise. In my experience Deadpool wears out his welcome within the first hour. That kind of j/k humor is really exhausting in a two hour feature length movie. Was it even two hours? It felt long.

My main beef with these movies is the same as with Suicide Squad: they're supposed to be irreverent takes on an established formula but in the end they always play out more or less like the thing they're supposed to be riffing on. Both end with a heroic battle to save the world and then the characters walk away in a chummy group shot spouting lessons about family, for crying out loud.

Also - a lot of the jokes are only funny once, then get dragged out two or three more times. All the wink wink nudge nudge about Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds, for example. That tiresome "Hi Yukio!". I wish the movie stayed on that surreal note that certain scenes achieve, like the whole X-Force sequence.

As for the girlfriend:

Silentpony:

subpar first movie, which at least had never been done before, bless its failed little heart..

Yes, because the first movie making an assload of money and being a critical success means it was a failure. Go back to /tv/ with that nonsense.

OT: I think this one is about as equal as the first one, there were plenty of good jokes and great action. I'm a bit miffed they killed Black Tom Cassidy because I would have loved to have seen him in a movie.

Did you guys notice that the two rednecks were Matt Damon and Alan Tudyk?

Kenbo Slice:
SNIP

When was the last time anyone talked about the Deadpool 1 movie, outside of the last few weeks worth of media blitz for deadpool 2? I don't recall anyone mentioning it back in January, or November.

And we all know just because a movie makes money that doesn't mean its a good movie. As a product to sell, Deadpool 1 was a success. As a comedy movie, super hero movie, good movie and noteworthy movie, Deadpool 1 was a massive failure.

Silentpony:

Kenbo Slice:
SNIP

When was the last time anyone talked about the Deadpool 1 movie, outside of the last few weeks worth of media blitz for deadpool 2? I don't recall anyone mentioning it back in January, or November.

And we all know just because a movie makes money that doesn't mean its a good movie. As a product to sell, Deadpool 1 was a success. As a comedy movie, super hero movie, good movie and noteworthy movie, Deadpool 1 was a massive failure.

I haven't bothered re-watching Deadpool 1 in awhile.

Heck I haven't re-watched that many Superhero movies since I saw them in theaters.

I don't even remember what X-Men 1999 was like in its entirety.

I didn't really care for it. There were a couple of funny moments but they were far too few and far between compared to the first one. I think part of the problem is that I am not very familiar with the comics, so I'm sure a lot of the call outs and subversion of the genre may have went over my head. The movie was fine, I just felt really underwhelmed

I thought the mutants=LGBT angle of the the movie was really poorly conceived. Why do we need to make the bads dislike mutants for religious reasons when there are a plethora of very rational reasons to fear mutants? Why are they electrocuting mutant kids when magic "turn off mutant powers" collars are readily available? It's dumb and the writers seem almost aware of it with the "dated allegory for 60s racism" line.

In my humble/honest opinion, the premise of this universe fits much better into an exploration of gun rights/violence. The rights of individuals to wield very deadly power and the public's right to some expectation of safety being at at odds, doesn't that fit better than people who are different are oppressed sometimes? The climax is all about them stopping a troubled young man from going to a school and committing a massacre for goodness sake. Unfortunately, they accomplish this by massacring everyone themselves so the kid doesn't have to.

I was mad about Vanessa until he went back in time and saved her in the end with the writers confirming that the scenes are canonical (along with the Peter one)

Who knows if she'll show up again but at least she's still alive

Silent Protagonist:
SNIP

Also that torture school seemed to be common knowledge, in that Domino knew about it and didn't tell anyone. And the school looked like it was about an hour south from Xavier's School, and why didn't he sense any of it and send the X-Men in to save them years ago?

It feels like a universe whose plot requires it to be separate from the x-men movies, yet constantly relies upon them for jokes and plot convenient twists.

Silentpony:

Also that torture school seemed to be common knowledge, in that Domino knew about it and didn't tell anyone. And the school looked like it was about an hour south from Xavier's School, and why didn't he sense any of it and send the X-Men in to save them years ago?

It feels like a universe whose plot requires it to be separate from the x-men movies, yet constantly relies upon them for jokes and plot convenient twists.

Is it common knowledge? Deadpool doesn't know. The X-Men apparently didn't know. Dominio knows, but to use another analogy, suvivors of sexual assault can sometimes wait years before coming forward. And besides, while this does seem to take place in the altered timeline, where the world seems a bit more accepting of mutants than they were pre-timeline alteration, prejudice still exists. Plenty of people wouldn't care, or say "good, give those damn mutants what they deserve." And given the damage Russell causes, that's understandable.

Silentpony:

Silent Protagonist:
SNIP

I mean, we know that illegal immigrants are rounded up and thrown in inhumane internment camps, but not only do the majority of people not care most are willing to vote the guy running them into public office

or how about the for-profit prison system that cares less about the reformation of criminals, and more about legal slavery

like, the world is a shitty place and people's care-bubbles don't really expand far from their person, especially when minorities are involved

Hawki:
SNIP

undeadsuitor:
SNIP

Remember Xavier can sense every mutant ever, at all times, and only someone like Magnetto can't be sensed because of his helmet. And they didn't establish at any time that the school was Xavier warded.
So why didn't he know exactly what was going on only like 90miles away? It's like Batman not knowing Two-face has a law school just outside Gotham and has been at it for decades, but Creeper finds out while teamed up with...The Judge, one of Two-Face's students.

It stretches credulity.

Silentpony:

Hawki:
SNIP

undeadsuitor:
SNIP

Remember Xavier can sense every mutant ever, at all times, and only someone like Magnetto can't be sensed because of his helmet. And they didn't establish at any time that the school was Xavier warded.
So why didn't he know exactly what was going on only like 90miles away? It's like Batman not knowing Two-face has a law school just outside Gotham and has been at it for decades, but Creeper finds out while teamed up with...The Judge, one of Two-Face's students.

It stretches credulity.

Xavier can sense every mutant, but he has to be specifically looking for them.

I don't exactly remember the dialog from DP2, but it seemed like the place was basically Juvie for mutant kids and was entirely legal on the front. But this is kinda dumb, we're arguing the logic of a deadpool movie where shit is just kinda placed there for the story.

its like asking why an operating wood chipper was sitting at an intersection.

Or why Cable's time travel thing seems to hop between "the transportation between physical and temporal spaces" and "mental time travel" depending on the scene.

or why the collars have a one number pass code

I think there was less jokes but they hit with more consistency. By far the funniest bit was the post credits scene, and I asked why the funniest part was at the end.

Fringing was bad, Reynolds says for DP to work, you need to take everything away from him so I don't think I'd want to see a DP3.

Cable could go back to any time, and that's what he chooses? Come on movie

Didn't have as good a story as the first one, but it was funnier.

Never thought I'd see Deadpool's dick on screen in my life. That's one off the bucket list.

Hawki:

Silentpony:

Is it common knowledge? Deadpool doesn't know. The X-Men apparently didn't know. Dominio knows, but to use another analogy, suvivors of sexual assault can sometimes wait years before coming forward. And besides, while this does seem to take place in the altered timeline, where the world seems a bit more accepting of mutants than they were pre-timeline alteration, prejudice still exists. Plenty of people wouldn't care, or say "good, give those damn mutants what they deserve." And given the damage Russell causes, that's understandable.

Its weird how this film and GOTG Vol 2 have a similar theme in the whole family part or orphans growing up and treated poorly. Picked up on that when I saw DP 2 again.

Honestly I kinda stopped giving a shit about continuity in the X-Men films.

So as someone who liked the first Deadpool, but got weaker the more I rewatched it, I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed Deadpool 2. Over the past year or so, I've gotten more into the Deadpool comics and this felt like an actual Deadpool comic come to life.

David Leitch was a major improvement over Tim Miller. Action is better directed, more dynamic shots in frame, the story was actually interesting too. Really liked that they touched upon the tragic part of Wade Wilson as well.

My only complaints are that the first act was a bit uneven structurally as there's a lot of shit thrown in to find a balance and a couple of jokes don't work, but overall this was a much better film and what I wanted from the first one. I've seen it twice already and surprisingly was better for me personally on rewatch.

I... didn't really care for it.

I found that about 50% of the jokes fell flat, and I didn't really care too much for the plot - mostly because the kid annoyed me immensely.

It wasn't all bad, though. Ryan Reynolds gave it his all, Josh Brolin was really good as Cable, and Zazie Beetz's Domino really stole the show for me. I also really enjoyed the expectation subversion of the whole X-Force thing. Oh, and the post-credits scenes were easily the best parts of the film.

Overall, i'd give it a 6/10.

I think my favorite thing is that by giving him time travel and fixing all the problems, DP beat the Avengers to the end of Infinity War. Thus proving that Deadpool is better than the rest of the MCU.

But the standout moments are definitely the X Force and the Juggernaut's theme.

I had fun, and it was a nice irreverent change of pace from the usual MCU fare that I've been seeing lately. Even the more comedic entries like GoTG or Ragnarok pale in comparison to both Deadpool films. The landing sequence was the highlight of the film, and although some of the jokes fell flat for me, it still felt like a good time with a reasonably easy pace and a relative lightness of tone. You can only see so many films about the world getting genocided before it becomes boring, so it was nice to see a more down to earth, B-grade plot that was just about a dude wanting to fuck his girlfriend again by saving a fat kid.

Wow, tough crowd in here...

I adored it. I loved it just as much as Deadpool (and I adored Deadpool).

Really, the only mild complaint I would have is that the movie does take a bit of time to pick up in that kind of beginning-middle (basically from the Xmen Mansion to the prison before Cable shows up) but other than that, I really enjoyed it. The action was great, the movie was hilarious, and overall was just great. I would have called it pretty on PAR with the first Deadpool movie until that end credit sequence, which might be enough to edge Deadpool 2 to be the better movie for me.

I haven't reviewed a movie since January as I've gotten kind of bored with reviewing (I generally don't review a movie unless I really like it or if I feel like it's new enough that people might actually read it) but I will likely review this movie.

EDIT: I did indeed review it if anyone cares. I do always stay away from spoilers though so you're likely to get a better conversation in this thread about it then in my review...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.1055455-tippy2k2-tells-you-what-to-think-Deadpool-2

Laggyteabag:
I... didn't really care for it.

I found that about 50% of the jokes fell flat, and I didn't really care too much for the plot - mostly because the kid annoyed me immensely.

It wasn't all bad, though. Ryan Reynolds gave it his all, Josh Brolin was really good as Cable, and Zazie Beetz's Domino really stole the show for me. I also really enjoyed the expectation subversion of the whole X-Force thing. Oh, and the post-credits scenes were easily the best parts of the film.

Overall, i'd give it a 6/10.

Yup, a solid 6/10 from me as well.
Also I'm not sure how you "spoil" Deadpool. Everything's played for laughs in this movie. Nothing matters, nothing sticks.

tippy2k2:

Really, the only mild complaint I would have is that the movie does take a bit of time to pick up in that kind of beginning-middle (basically from the Xmen Mansion to the prison before Cable shows up) but other than that, I really enjoyed it. The action was great, the movie was hilarious, and overall was just great. I would have called it pretty on PAR with the first Deadpool movie until that end credit sequence, which might be enough to edge Deadpool 2 to be the better movie for me.

I haven't reviewed a movie since January as I've gotten kind of bored with reviewing (I generally don't review a movie unless I really like it or if I feel like it's new enough that people might actually read it) but I will likely review this movie.

I mean, does The Escapist community ever react positively to mainstream, big production stuff? It's generally pretty cliche about being significantly slanted towards being cynical and negative towards anything and everything...

Elijin:

tippy2k2:

I mean, does The Escapist community ever react positively to mainstream, big production stuff? It's generally pretty cliche about being significantly slanted towards being cynical and negative towards anything and everything...

Always with the extremes. If you don't like Deadpool 2 you're a joyless contrarian.
I'd argue Infinity War, Deadpool 2 and Solo (for example) are cynical themselves. And that says nothing about my opinion on other "mainstream, big production stuff".

I'm with tippy, I love both Deadpool movies. The first one is just fun, and the second one is fun plus more and better action. I do kind of have a problem with fridging Vanessa, but I also knew that was going to happen. What else were they going to do with her?

But if anything, DP2 is even funnier than the first. When watching comedies I don't often experience sustained, hysterical laughter, even when something is really funny, but there were a few times here when I couldn't stop laughing. That's more than I can ask from any movie, especially what is nominally an action movie, so this gets a thumbs up.

Domino is great, Cable is great, long live the X-Force.

TheVampwizimp:
I'm with tippy, I love both Deadpool movies. The first one is just fun, and the second one is fun plus more and better action. I do kind of have a problem with fridging Vanessa, but I also knew that was going to happen. What else were they going to do with her?

But if anything, DP2 is even funnier than the first. When watching comedies I don't often experience sustained, hysterical laughter, even when something is really funny, but there were a few times here when I couldn't stop laughing. That's more than I can ask from any movie, especially what is nominally an action movie, so this gets a thumbs up.

Domino is great, Cable is great, long live the X-Force.

I agree with you agreeing with me!

The entire sequence with The X-Force was basically one giant gut laugh from me. Watching them all land in comically deadly ways was a freaking riot. Follow it up with an absolutely awesome action sequence (Domino's powers steal that scene and I loved the way they pulled that off) and that sequence alone made it worth the price of admission.

Johnny Novgorod:
I liked the sequel more than I did the original, which is faint praise. In my experience Deadpool wears out his welcome within the first hour. That kind of j/k humor is really exhausting in a two hour feature length movie. Was it even two hours? It felt long.

My main beef with these movies is the same as with Suicide Squad: they're supposed to be irreverent takes on an established formula but in the end they always play out more or less like the thing they're supposed to be riffing on. Both end with a heroic battle to save the world and then the characters walk away in a chummy group shot spouting lessons about family, for crying out loud.

Also - a lot of the jokes are only funny once, then get dragged out two or three more times. All the wink wink nudge nudge about Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds, for example. That tiresome "Hi Yukio!". I wish the movie stayed on that surreal note that certain scenes achieve, like the whole X-Force sequence.

As for the girlfriend:

Deadpool doesn't save the world in his movies, yeah sure Russel killed Cable's family but its not really a "Bad Future"

PapaGreg096:

Johnny Novgorod:

As for the girlfriend:

Deadpool doesn't save the world in his movies, yeah sure Russel killed Cable's family but its not really a "Bad Future"

There was an unspoken element hinted at in the future scenes that super murder-y mutants like Russel lead to a pretty anti-mutant, sentinel heavy, war torn future.

PapaGreg096:

Johnny Novgorod:

As for the girlfriend:

Like Elijin mentioned, it goes without saying that they're preventing a quasi apocalyptic future. It's not just saving Cable's family, the future scenes make it clear Russell's a tyrannical mass murderer.

Johnny Novgorod:

PapaGreg096:

Johnny Novgorod:

As for the girlfriend:

Like Elijin mentioned, it goes without saying that they're preventing a quasi apocalyptic future. It's not just saving Cable's family, the future scenes make it clear Russell's a tyrannical mass murderer.

But not a guy who started the apocalypse just someone who personally killed lots of people and if Cable wanted to he could've killed adult Russel before he killed his family

Elijin:

There was an unspoken element hinted at in the future scenes that super murder-y mutants like Russel lead to a pretty anti-mutant, sentinel heavy, war torn future.

So that basically means there are more people like Russel, again not really big in scale as say a portal in the sky

I mean, who knows about all the different mutant timelines at this point? The Sentinel timeline was prevented which supposedly followed the timeline of the original trilogy of movies(?). Then there is the Logan future which maybe follows the "good" timeline in which Apocalypse was stopped in the 80s(?) And that's the same timeline Deadpool's in. Also Days of Future past wiped out X-Men Origins: Wolverine... right? Though at least it's dead after this one for sure.

I found the evil orphanage cliche the most ridiculous one out of them all actually... well, maybe a tie with "your heart is in the right place". And that's on top of the prison stuff and fridge wife.

PapaGreg096:

Johnny Novgorod:

PapaGreg096:

But not a guy who started the apocalypse just someone who personally killed lots of people and if Cable wanted to he could've killed adult Russel before he killed his family

Elijin:

So that basically means there are more people like Russel, again not really big in scale as say a portal in the sky

Not as big scale as sky portal but definitely save the world territory. Cable's flashbacks have a distinct post-apocalyptic tone to them.

Johnny Novgorod:

PapaGreg096:

Johnny Novgorod:

Elijin:

Not as big scale as sky portal but definitely save the world territory. Cable's flashbacks have a distinct post-apocalyptic tone to them.

Russel just killed a lot of people, thats it everything else must have been something else because I don't remember the film mentioning that Russel himself created the post apocalyptic future.

Cable specifically blames Deadpool's generation for fucking up the world, not Russel. And he states his intentions at the end to stick around to prevent those fuck ups that leads to the world going to hell, which is as clear an indication as you can get that Russel's redemption doesn't change the world's fate. The film's scope is bigger than the first Deadpool, but definitely way smaller and more personal than any of the other superhero films in between except for Spider-Man.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here