You know what...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Even if it turns out that this site was just getting fixed behind the scenes and everything's really all fine, I'm still gonna be super pissed.

They didn't let anyone know about this. Not a forum post or anything. Even the FUCKING EXISTING SITE TEAM has to guess what the hell is going on. This is not how you manage a site and community, people!!!

Hello person who has never encountered any sort of buy out, or significant management overhaul, how is life there?

Arnoxthe1:
Even if it turns out that this site was just getting fixed behind the scenes and everything's really all fine, I'm still gonna be super pissed.

They didn't let anyone know about this. Not a forum post or anything. Even the FUCKING EXISTING SITE TEAM has to guess what the hell is going on. This is not how you manage a site and community, people!!!

They gave us more than most have with the whole "something" thread. Usually you do not even get that before something like that happens. When they are in negotiations and what not, nothing is certain, so they would not be making any announcements until they know what the plan is actually going to be and are ready to present it. These things can take a great deal of time, and there is much uncertainty until they are in the process of actually acting and even then, things may be subject to change for quite some time. Why would they make a post that they may have to retract later when they may not even know how this is all going to happen themselves yet?

Elijin:
Hello person who has never encountered any sort of buy out, or significant management overhaul, how is life there?

Lil devils x:
They gave us more than most have with the whole "something" thread. Usually you do not even get that before something like that happens. When they are in negotiations and what not, nothing is certain, so they would not be making any announcements until they know what the plan is actually going to be and are ready to present it. These things can take a great deal of time, and there is much uncertainty until they are in the process of actually acting and even then, things may be subject to change for quite some time. Why would they make a post that they may have to retract later when they may not even know how this is all going to happen themselves yet?

You guys are misunderstanding me. I'm not talking about the buyout or negotiations or anything like that. I'm talking about how the site was broken for at least a week with zero word on how or why or even who is doing this. Hell, it may be even longer. We'll see how long this site continues to work.

The mods have stated repeatedly that they are as in the dark on this as everyone else here.

Arnoxthe1:

Elijin:

Lil devils x:

You guys are misunderstanding me. I'm not talking about the buyout or negotiations or anything like that. I'm talking about how the site was broken for at least a week with zero word on how or why or even who is doing this. Hell, it may be even longer. We'll see how long this site continues to work.

Kross posted on the something thread about it and Basement cat gave us a heads up that Kross was working on the site as well prior to Kross's post, so they did actually do that. Kross apologized for causing troubles with the site already while he works on it.

Here are the links:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055294-Something-is-coming?page=5#24241114

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055294-Something-is-coming?page=5#24241264

Arnoxthe1:

Elijin:

Lil devils x:

Im not missing shit.

Who is announcing it? Defy, who havent announced a thing in god knows how long? The mods, who have no authority or knowledge of the actual backend? A buyer, who may or may not be at a stage where they can legally publicly talk about their new acquisition? Hell, maybe it's a buyer, who knows and understands there are going to be major teething issues as the servers are moved, and would rather stay silent at let us continue to be mad at Defy, rather than be the face of unavoidable tech issues.

If this complaint has any seriousness and isnt just idle frustration at the ongoing issues, then you live in a tiny bubble of obliviousness.

Arnoxthe1:

Elijin:

Lil devils x:

Welcome to Capitalism, were you, as a consumer, are completely disregarded. TBH, I'm surprised we got anything.

Ah man! I thought this was going to be a thread about unhelpful and vague thread titles that don't give any indication of the subject matter! What a let down, I had loads to say about that.

Baffle2:
Ah man! I thought this was going to be a thread about unhelpful and vague thread titles that don't give any indication of the subject matter! What a let down, I had loads to say about that.

Gee, looks like you actually have to read the OP before you irrationally respond. Sorry. :(

Xsjadoblayde:
The mods have stated repeatedly that they are as in the dark on this as everyone else here.

Yes, that's what I said. The existing site team meaning the old mod team and Jojo and NewClassic were completely left in the dark.

Lil devils x:
Kross posted on the something thread about it and Basement cat gave us a heads up that Kross was working on the site as well prior to Kross's post, so they did actually do that. Kross apologized for causing troubles with the site already while he works on it.

Here are the links:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055294-Something-is-coming?page=5#24241114

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055294-Something-is-coming?page=5#24241264

That was very after the fact though. And it was buried in a thread over 3 pages long. Although I actually don't blame Kross at all. He's not paid to be the community manager. He's here to fix the site. It's not his job to do the new owner's job for him/her/them.

Elijin:
Im not missing shit.

Who is announcing it? Defy, who havent announced a thing in god knows how long? The mods, who have no authority or knowledge of the actual backend? A buyer, who may or may not be at a stage where they can legally publicly talk about their new acquisition? Hell, maybe it's a buyer, who knows and understands there are going to be major teething issues as the servers are moved, and would rather stay silent at let us continue to be mad at Defy, rather than be the face of unavoidable tech issues.

If this complaint has any seriousness and isnt just idle frustration at the ongoing issues, then you live in a tiny bubble of obliviousness.

Looks like you got a bad case of Stockholm Syndrome I'm afraid.

So you're going to avoid the question of "Who" since you dont have a good answer? Even though its the crux of the issue?

Elijin:
So you're going to avoid the question of "Who" since you dont have a good answer? Even though its the crux of the issue?

Sorry. I forgot to reply to you. But yeah, I'm not fucking psychic. It doesn't matter who though. The new owners could have warned us. They didn't. For a week plus.

It matters a lot.

I already covered the reasons, with Defy being absent and it not being the place, or not wanting to be the place, of anyone else to speak up.

You're complaining about no one stepping up and saying something, but hey, the people who have been running the site for the last year DID step up and share what they could. They just had practically nothing to share.

Arnoxthe1:

Gee, looks like you actually have to read the OP before you irrationally respond. Sorry. :(

I did read the OP. I was surprised to see this forum was now your blog. You should turn off comments.

Baffle2:
I did read the OP. I was surprised to see this forum was now your blog. You should turn off comments.

At least I post threads, Scully. What's the last thread you posted?

Elijin:
It matters a lot.

I already covered the reasons, with Defy being absent and it not being the place, or not wanting to be the place, of anyone else to speak up.

You're complaining about no one stepping up and saying something, but hey, the people who have been running the site for the last year DID step up and share what they could. They just had practically nothing to share.

Hey, you know, I'm not the one who's gonna have to pay for it. They're the ones who are gonna have to to pick up the pieces when this is all done.

We (well, one of the Mods at least) has been in contact with alleged new owner guy and he's basically said the same thing we've all kind of suspected; they can only comment so much as everything is not yet done.

I mean, you can be mad all you want I suppose but Mods are passing along what info that is to be had that can be pieced together from what is seen, new owner can't really say too much as the wheels of Capitalism keep churning, and if you're expecting DEFY to step up, I'd ask why you think they would do that after the last year and change...

Arnoxthe1:

At least I post threads, Scully. What's the last thread you posted?

What possible measure of value is that?! By that reckoning the spam bots were useful contributors!

I think the last thread I posted here was in Gaming Discussion, but I'm not sure. I post a lot on my Facebook though. As though it were some kind of blog.

tippy2k2:
We (well, one of the Mods at least) has been in contact with alleged new owner guy and he's basically said the same thing we've all kind of suspected; they can only comment so much as everything is not yet done.

I mean, you can be mad all you want I suppose but Mods are passing along what info that is to be had that can be pieced together from what is seen, new owner can't really say too much as the wheels of Capitalism keep churning, and if you're expecting DEFY to step up, I'd ask why you think they would do that after the last year and change...

In that case, I wouldn't have said anything at all. That thread got everyone hyped up, and before they knew it, the site was going down the tubes fast. Not exactly the best first impression. Although, I can't believe they could create that "Something is coming" thread but they couldn't create a thread simply saying some site problems are going to be popping up in the future here. That wouldn't breach any business contract that I know of.

Baffle2:
What possible measure of value is that?! By that reckoning the spam bots were useful contributors!

Even excluding this thread though, I contribute way more than you, so ha.

Arnoxthe1:

tippy2k2:

In that case, I wouldn't have said anything at all. That thread got everyone hyped up, and before they knew it, the site was going down the tubes fast. Not exactly the best first impression. Although, I can't believe they could create that "Something is coming" thread but they couldn't create a thread simply saying some site problems are going to be popping up in the future here. That wouldn't breach any business contract that I know of.

My guess is that basically WAS the warning but I don't think he expected Escapist people to be as nutter butters and jaded as we are (the poor naive fool :P).

tippy2k2:

Arnoxthe1:

tippy2k2:

My guess is that basically WAS the warning but I don't think he expected Escapist people to be as nutter butters and jaded as we are (the poor naive fool :P).

LOL! Site gets a few bumps while they are working on it and everyone runs around screaming the sky is falling.

Lil devils x:
a few bumps

I would not call rendering the site literally almost completely inaccessible for a week with no indication that it would ever be relieved, "a few bumps".

Arnoxthe1:

I would not call rendering the site literally almost completely inaccessible for a week with no indication that it would ever be relieved, "a few bumps".

It's not been that bad for me, just the occasional 50x error. More often than not pages have been loading fine. Unless you're using the new, wrong, definition of literally.

I can still see all the avatars too, in case anyone was wondering (I understand some people can't).

Arnoxthe1:

Lil devils x:
a few bumps

Baffle2:

Arnoxthe1:

It's not been that bad for me, just the occasional 50x error. More often than not pages have been loading fine. Unless you're using the new, wrong, definition of literally.

I can still see all the avatars too, in case anyone was wondering (I understand some people can't).

Same here. I never lost avatars, had some issues with posts the first day, but since then have not had many problems. The occasional 50x error corrects when I refresh the page and the info still goes through fine. Kross working on the site was indication it was being relieved.

Yeah, needed to refresh quite a few times occasionally, but otherwise things not worse than usual.

I'll also echo the sentiment that it just has some 50X errors time to time. Not ideal, but not exactly the world coming apart at the seams.

At what point does this go from a dramatic person overreacting to a rival site bashing this one?

Are you guys kidding me? There was a bunch of people that could barely get in. Not just me. Are we seriously gonna deny that now?

Oh, and BTW, often, you could at least go to the Zero Punctuation video page without any errors, but right when you started trying to view threads, that was when it would start 504ing. Yesterday though, I couldn't get onto the ZP page even.

Having it happen is one thing. Having people actively deny that there was any problem at all is quite another.

Arnoxthe1:
Are you guys kidding me? There was a bunch of people that could barely get in. Not just me. Are we seriously gonna deny that now?

I can't speak for other people's experiences, but mine was as I have outlined. Maybe you should try turning your computer off and on again. And then off again.

Yeah, I saw that there were constant errors and that made me take a week off.

Now it looks like the site is being restored.

I should amend my previous statement to include "for me". Irritating, to be sure, but I could still access the forums, with a little more persistence.

I should also perhaps mention that my internet likes playing up every so often for no good reason, so I might be a bit more used to not being able to access the forums.

Baffle2:
Maybe you should try turning your computer off and on again. And then off again.

Maybe you should delete your system32, mate.

Yeah, I'll have to echo Arnox's "A few bumps" quote.

First, all account info was wiped/almost reset, no avatars, no quotes (that lit up yellow anyway).
Then the 504's and 502's.. Everywhere!
25% of the times I got a 502/4 just trying to load the escapist, then 75% 502/4 when posting (though it did get through anyway).
Loading the main forum almost always worked, but sub-forums was 50%, and individual threads went from 25% to 50% to 75% and now they appear fixed.
((All %'s are subjective estimates))
Can't post on either Encaen's new article or Yathzee's new video..
It was not just a few bumps.

Menashe's "something is coming" was indeed way too vague. It might have mean that his company bought the site, was about to buy the site, was buying the site as is, was buying the site to fix up, was buying the site to migrate to a new escapist, was buying it to move accounts to another site, or he was a Defy/Ex-staff...trickster.. that was hinting about Defy pulling the plug.
Vague is too vague of a word to adequately describe the situation.

Now, even if some things couldn't be said because of the situation, leaving everyone more or less completely in the dark is not the least they could've done.

Traffic has also dropped massively just judging from the forums.
Most likely from closing the WW and all the "hiccups" this ..whatever it is.. has caused.

Even with all that said, I still hope it turns out alright.

*EDIT*
HAH! got a 504 posting this! Ironic.
Seems it's still one or two things left. Though mostly okay now.

Let's turn the hostility down a bunch of notches and the civility up by an equal amount. This forum is still up and the CoC still applies, so stick to it.

GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

So whats the grievance? That we, as free users on a voluntary forum, aren't being kept in the loop about what back officer managers are doing?
What makes any of us think we're entitled to that information? We're here to talk video games and random bullshit, not participate in a board meetings for a company we have no stake in.

Man, some of you need to pull your lips off The Escapist's dick long enough to see it's not all sunshine and rainbows around here. I seriously couldn't read threads I had created and would just have to come back hours later for it to work.

Also, being in IT, I see no reason why the site would have to have ANY downtime while this so-called changeover happens. You're just making excuses for bad decisions of other people you don't know. You might even hate them in 3 months!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked