Poll: Are most people idiots?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I see this sentiment expressed quite frequently, I'm curious if this is the majority opinion.

Edit: frickin' site! What good is this thread if the poll doesn't work!?

Idiots? No, not specifically. I think most people are gullible - for good reasons as we're expected to listen to 'experts' in fields - but often what they're told is complete BS.
I mean I've lost track of the number of Evangelical preachers who claim to be a doctor and spout medical dogma, while not having a degree of any kind.
That dude from History channel, Dr. 'It was Aliens'? Yeah his doctorate is in physical therapy not history or archaeology. Every thing he says is shit and idiotic, but someone who repeats what he says isn't inherently an idiot. We're told he's a doctor and he's spouting 'facts'. It just happens he's a charlatan.

That's the problem. Its simply too easy to trick people and a bunch of people have made careers spreading fake news and facts.

There's a saying that relates to this, I think it goes "a person is smart, people are stupid."

Yes. Relax, you're not of them of course.

Drathnoxis:
I see this sentiment expressed quite frequently, I'm curious if this is the majority opinion.

Edit: frickin' site! What good is this thread if the poll doesn't work!?

Everyone is

People taken as a whole tend to sheep, which follows the most visible and current trends despite those being good/bad.
Individually they act more like goats. Stubborn and going their own way.

The average is average, half are indeed worse than that.

Sure, everyone who isn't me.

I think if most people were idiots then the world just wouldn't function. There's just a few idiots, its just they're really good at making noise and mess so we have to notice them more

No, but many people function (through choice or otherwise) in areas where the things at which they are good are not so apparent. I mean, yes, some people are idiots, but most aren't.

If the guy from my local garage were to try to do my job, he would mostly likely look like an idiot; if I were to try to do his, I would definitely look like an idiot. Same across all skills/professions/walks of life.

Then there are, of course, the people who pretend the Daily Mail is a real newspaper. People who prefix their statement with 'I know it was in the Daily Mail, but...' and then repeat the thing they read in the Daily Mail as though it were true, even though they've prefixed the statement with an acknowledgement that it most likely isn't!

I think it was Lewton in Discworld Noir that once said something along the lines of "You know how stupid the average person is?" "Most people are stupider than that", which I always took as a thing about how if the average person is stupid then most people you meet will probably be stupider than that because that's how averages work.

Yes... roughly 100%. But the universe won't ever let us be smart. Merely idiots of varying degrees of arbitrarily defined measurements.

To be fair, you don't need to be smart to be beautiful. And we're all cspable of being beautiful.

I think most people think they are smart. I would say every person will be good at something you are not and 'smartness' is subjective and based on society's, also subjective, measurements. It would be very easy to call the majority stupid for voting for Trump or for voting Brexit, but it's more likely that they have come to a strange conclusion owing to limited information, propaganda and the fact that people have a lot going on in their lives.

But every person in the world will be better than you at something. So, no, people aren't stupid. They just have different skills and interests.

Yes.

SupahEwok:

But... That's more than most people!

Eh, yes and no. Mostly, no, but every so often a reasonable person will make a stupid mistake, and sometimes they can be impressively big and seem to outweigh the things they didn't get wrong.

The only people I find stupid are the people who think they know everything and usually don't know much at all. Everyone else - you wanna live you life a certain way, so be it. As long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

Yep. Even people who are incredibly well informed in one sphere of knowledge can be utterly clueless in another.

I imagine that 'idiot' is a subjective term, but I'll just say no.

To imagine everyone else (or just most other people) with all their different experiences and trials, as being somehow inferior to your somehow 'unique' development, is ignorant. Experiencing someone making mistakes or fucking up or simply not knowing something, or being misinformed about something, is a shitty means of then summing that person up in their entirety.

Having said that, it happens all the time and is also a part of human nature.

We're idiots, after all.

Yes? No? Maybe? I don't know.

Speaking as a simian professor though, I can say with certainty that apekind is much smarter. For example, when we don't like something, we just literally throw shit at it, instead of using those clumsy wordnoises. Much more honest and straightforward, and far less prone to misunderstanding.

MiB put it best

Palindromemordnilap:
I think if most people were idiots then the world just wouldn't function. There's just a few idiots, its just they're really good at making noise and mess so we have to notice them more

I'm of this mind, but I refine it in my own way.

People are not purely anything. Pal-lap is exactly right in saying that this world would explode if everyone was a pure idiot. But what happens is that people have layers to themselves.

It's how EVERYONE has that family member who has deeply biased or hatefully racist beliefs but still have a genuine soft and loving heart for everyone else. Nothing in life is cut and dry.

There are people in the American Government who graduated the top schools of the land, had successful law careers... and every time they open their mouth, you could believe you're listening to a comedy sketch group's idea of how people like that sound. But they were smart enough to pass their classes, so they can't be strictly idiots, right?

I honestly think most people are smarter than they are given credit for, quite frankly.

Yeah it's highly likely, when one considers how few are able to critically think for themselves anymore. What's that saying about modern education, smart enough to follow orders and repeat what they're told, dumb enough to think it makes them smarter than everyone else.

We're lacking intangible values and forgotten how to be humble due to the fact that decency in society is slowly unraveling. Too many conflicting viewpoints aren't helping, but there's the catch; we need to think for ourselves but it only works if everyone's "right". Somehow we need to get back to the basics.

Yes, " we" are. But we are idiots by choice. Because it's comfortable.

Now that most have stated they think most people are idiots, here is a question for you to think about: are you one?

I personally wouldn't say "idiots"...But humans are irrational, often uneducated in the matters they're talking about, and prone to actions that are counterproductive because in the moment they seem to make sense.

CaitSeith:
Now that most have stated they think most people are idiots, here is a question for you to think about: are you one?

Absolutely.

Like, I'm pretty damn smart about a lot of things, but I'll freely admit that I do dumb things or do act without thinking, or otherwise do things expected of an idiot sometimes.

Hell, I keep going back into R&P knowing full well that I'm just going to get mad at someone not showing any empathy and then proceeding to say something deliberately infuriating...And that I'm just gonna waste time and energy getting upset over it. But I just keep doing it. I'd say that qualifies as "idiot" territory. XD

But hey, being aware that you're being an idiot is the first step to not being one. At least until your next dumb move, right?

Yes including me.

No, people are not idiots. Groups of people are idiots. You get a person by themself and they are smart enough to be above the "idiot" bar.

CaitSeith:

SupahEwok:

Way ahead of you.

I mean, yeah, everyone is an idiot sometimes. And other times we aren't. So if you're stupid more than half the time, then you're an idiot overall, but everyone is stupid sometimes so it's hard to tell the stupid from the less stupid.

For example, I'm not making a good case for not being a stupid idiot with this post...

Some people are pretty smart in a pretty narrow range. Everybody's an idiot in most respects. Some people are idiots in almost every respect.

CaitSeith:

Not in the way I use the word idiot, since I am not using it to refer to someone who has trouble with math, but using it for people who cannot understand why oppressed groups might be upset at being oppressed, who cannot see why people hate Trump, who cannot see why people hate guns, who cannot see why people hate letting 'private corporations' do whatever they please.

I think everyone is an idiot.
Sure, some of us manage to get proficient at 1 or 2 areas of life and develop a career in that field, even revolutionize it.
Looking at the bigger picture however, even these people are idiots (check out scientists who talk about things from outside of their epxertise, Ben Carson is my favorite when it comes to saying dumb things).

It depends what your definition is. If you're talking intelligence, then it should be noted that the average IQ is 100. This is the mean average and about 70% of people fall between 85 and 115. On average, for every person above 100 there is another below. Over 90% fall between 70 and 130. What's left are the the outliers. So you describe people with IQs lower than 85 as idiots, then that's about 20% of people. If it's lower than 100, then it's between 40-50% of the population.

But it depends what you mean by idiot. If you're talking about intelligence, there's that. If you're talking about wisdom or street smarts, that's another thing entirely. If you're talking about technically savvy, good with the ladies, business savvy, etc these are all different measures.

But by most measures, the majority fall into a bell curve similar to IQ, so I would still maintain you have 20-40% idiots by most measures.

Saelune:
who cannot see why people hate Trump

Those don't make people idiots, it makes them people with different opinions and life experiences than you. For some people, the economy, illegal immigration and unemployment are important issues, so to them Trump is a great President. That's the way democracy works, everyone gets a vote and the majority wins. Trump was elected by people who don't hate him (inasmuch as people hate most politicians). You should appreciate that people in this world have different views than you and are just as entitled to them as you are to yours.

KingsGambit:
It depends what your definition is. If you're talking intelligence, then it should be noted that the average IQ is 100. This is the mean average and about 70% of people fall between 85 and 115. On average, for every person above 100 there is another below. Over 90% fall between 70 and 130. What's left are the the outliers. So you describe people with IQs lower than 85 as idiots, then that's about 20% of people. If it's lower than 100, then it's between 40-50% of the population.

But it depends what you mean by idiot. If you're talking about intelligence, there's that. If you're talking about wisdom or street smarts, that's another thing entirely. If you're talking about technically savvy, good with the ladies, business savvy, etc these are all different measures.

But by most measures, the majority fall into a bell curve similar to IQ, so I would still maintain you have 20-40% idiots by most measures.

Saelune:
who cannot see why people hate Trump

Those don't make people idiots, it makes them people with different opinions and life experiences than you. For some people, the economy, illegal immigration and unemployment are important issues, so to them Trump is a great President. That's the way democracy works, everyone gets a vote and the majority wins. Trump was elected by people who don't hate him (inasmuch as people hate most politicians). You should appreciate that people in this world have different views than you and are just as entitled to them as you are to yours.

Democracy says Clinton should be President.

Yes, some people do have different life experiences, it is called privilege and it upsets people when it is brought up.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here