Poll: Are most people idiots?

Pages PREV 1 2

Saelune:
Democracy says Clinton should be President.

Yes, some people do have different life experiences, it is called privilege and it upsets people when it is brought up.

Wow, to see such a hand-wave of a reply to a well-thought out, and frankly accurate point is nothing short of disgusting. We live in a democratic country, Trump, whether you like it or not is the leader of that democratic country. If you want to talk about democracy being violated, look at the way Zuckerburg (I think that how the fuckers name is spelled) went before the supreme court because of how Facebook tried to skew the election towards Hilary. He even admitted to it and apologized, whereas the Russia probe turned up jack shit.

Hilary is not the democratically elected president, even if it takes you 4 years to realize. She's a criminal, and she will never, thank fuck, be the president. End of story.

What you said is the problem with the left in a nut shell. Disagree with you? They must be a Nazi. Have a different opinion? It's because of privilege, see A, they're a Nazi.

If you take umbrage with what I've said, and lets be real you do, before you reply, come up with a reply to KingsGambit first. They deserve a response worthy of the thought they put into it, not the bullshit two sentences you posted in response to what they took the time to type out. Maybe then you'll actually be worth debating.

Just Ebola:

Saelune:

Yes, some people do have different life experiences, it is called privilege and it upsets people when it is brought up.

Wow, to see such a hand-wave of a reply to a well-thought out, and frankly accurate point is nothing short of disgusting. We live in a democratic country, Trump, whether you like it or not is the leader of that democratic country. If you want to talk about democracy being violated, look at the way Zuckerburg (I think that how the fuckers name is spelled) went before the supreme court because of how Facebook tried to skew the election towards Hilary. He even admitted to it and apologized, whereas the Russia probe turned up jack shit.

Hilary is not the democratically elected president, even if it takes you 4 years to realize. She's a criminal, and she will never, thank fuck, be the president. End of story.

What you said is the problem with the left in a nut shell. Disagree with you? They must be a Nazi. Have a different opinion? It's because of privilege, see A, they're a Nazi.

If you take umbrage with what I've said, and lets be real you do, before you reply, come up with a reply to KingsGambit first. They deserve a response worthy of the thought they put into it, not the bullshit two sentences you posted in response to what they took the time to type out. Maybe then you'll actually be worth debating.

Hillary got more votes. Stop being rude.

Just Ebola:

Saelune:

Just Ebola:

Twice in a row you've countered paragraphs of actual argument with a throw away sentence that reeks of condescension. At what point do you just admit that you don't argue your point because you actually can't? You're wrong, and you don't have the maturity to admit it, or the knowledge to prove me wrong.

Are you actually that ignorant, or have you never heard of how US elections work? I look forward to hearing your well-thought out response, if the trend keeps up it'll probably just consist of "no u".

I had to take a 1 year hiatus from the Escapist to move up north and work, without internet connection. As someone who can afford to sit in front of a computer and force their ignorant views all day, you seem a damn sight more privileged than most. Ironic, considering your hatred of privilege.

I do not need to write a lot to make a point. Stop being rude.

Saelune:

Just Ebola:

Saelune:

Twice in a row you've countered paragraphs of actual argument with a throw away sentence that reeks of condescension. At what point do you just admit that you don't argue your point because you actually can't? You're wrong, and you don't have the maturity to admit it, or the knowledge to prove me wrong.

Are you actually that ignorant, or have you never heard of how US elections work? I look forward to hearing your well-thought out response, if the trend keeps up it'll probably just consist of "no u".

I had to take a 1 year hiatus from the Escapist to move up north and work, without internet connection. As someone who can afford to sit in front of a computer and force their ignorant views all day, you seem a damn sight more privileged than most. Ironic, considering your hatred of privilege.

No, but you do have to write a lot to back up the ignorance you've been schilling.

Proving you wrong = being rude. Good to know.

Just Ebola:

Saelune:

Just Ebola:

No, but you do have to write a lot to back up the ignorance you've been schilling.

You're being rude because you are belittling me. You are calling me immature, ignorant, stupid etc.

You do not need to be so rude just because you disagree with my opinion.

Saelune:

Just Ebola:

Saelune:

You're being rude because you are belittling me. You are calling me immature, ignorant, stupid etc.

Wrong, yet again. I'm belittling your arguments because you can't defend them. I'm saying you're ignorant because you're espousing a message that's completely untrue. But I have never called you stupid, let's chalk that one up to your persecution complex.

You can call me rude, but I'd call it common sense. Maybe if you could actually have a dialogue with someone instead of calling them a big meanie you'd grow as a person.

It's funny, you call me rude, but you've been extremely disrespectful with everyone who has tried to debate you, whereas I've actually tried to reach across the isle. But dealing with you is pretty much like dealing with any liberal. Quick to call names, quick to play the victim, doesn't actually defend any of the points they hold so sacred. You should know that interactions like this only serve to entrench what you call "Nazis" (conservatives) deeper in their views. Hows it feel to contribute to a cycle you hate? Right, like you're going to read any of this anyways.

Just Ebola:

Saelune:

Just Ebola:

Wrong, yet again. I'm belittling your arguments because you can't defend them. I'm saying you're ignorant because you're espousing a message that's completely untrue. But I have never called you stupid, let's chalk that one up to your persecution complex.

You can call me rude, but I'd call it common sense. Maybe if you could actually have a dialogue with someone instead of calling them a big meanie you'd grow as a person.

It's funny, you call me rude, but you've been extremely disrespectful with everyone who has tried to debate you, whereas I've actually tried to reach across the isle. But dealing with you is pretty much like dealing with any liberal. Quick to call names, quick to play the victim, doesn't actually defend any of the points they hold so sacred. You should know that interactions like this only serve to entrench what you call "Nazis" (conservatives) deeper in their views. Hows it feel to contribute to a cycle you hate? Right, like you're going to read any of this anyways.

I have defended them, you just do not like how I defended them and that I did not use a lot of words to do it.

You could try having a dialogue with me instead of being rude. Lead by example.

How are you reaching across the isle? You are not, you are just belittling me and my opinions.

I read your whole posts.

Saelune:

Just Ebola:

Saelune:

I have defended them, you just do not like how I defended them and that I did not use a lot of words to do it.

How are you reaching across the isle? You are not, you are just belittling me and my opinions.

I read your whole posts.

No, you haven't, you haven't addressed any of the points I brought up. Even the few you did deign to use didn't defend anything.

Explain how I'm being rude, all of my arguments are sound, and I'm showing you more respect than you show people who disagree with you. And "ignorant" isn't an insult, I genuinely think you're woefully misinformed.

No, I'm making an attempt to understand and educate. If that isn't reaching across the isle, what is? If I was going to take a page from your book, I'd just respond to everything you say by yelling "RUDE!".

For a few examples of things you haven't defended:

How do you defend the viewpoint that everyone who disagrees with you must inherently be a Nazi or a bigot?

How do you defend the statement that Hilary should be president despite Trump being democratically elected?

How do you shit on people for being privileged, when you have internet access 100% of the time and seemingly make your social justice campaign a full-time job?

These are things you "have defended" but in reality haven't said a damn thing about. If you read my posts in full, do you just choose not to respond to most of it? That's what it seems like. Can't wait for you to offer no actual response and call me rude.

Just Ebola:

Saelune:

Just Ebola:

I read your whole posts.

No, you haven't, you haven't addressed any of the points I brought up. Even the few you did deign to use didn't defend anything.

Explain how I'm being rude, all of my arguments are sound, and I'm showing you more respect than you show people who disagree with you. And "ignorant" isn't an insult, I genuinely think you're woefully misinformed.

No, I'm making an attempt to understand and educate. If that isn't reaching across the isle, what is? If I was going to take a page from your book, I'd just respond to everything you say by yelling "RUDE!".

For a few examples of things you haven't defended:

How do you defend the viewpoint that everyone who disagrees with you must inherently be a Nazi or a bigot?

How do you defend the statement that Hilary should be president despite Trump being democratically elected?

How do you shit on people for being privileged, when you have internet access 100% of the time and seemingly make your social justice campaign a full-time job?

These are things you "have defended" but in reality haven't said a damn thing about. If you read my posts in full, do you just choose not to respond to most of it? That's what it seems like. Can't wait for you to offer no actual response and call me rude.

Democracy = vote of the people. More people voted for Clinton than for Trump. Calling a Republic a Democracy is wrong. People who like Trump tend to be people who do not face adversity. Just because they do not understand that black people are unfairly targeted by the police, that women are held to unfair standards that men are not, and that gays are treated as deviant monsters, does not make their problems not real. Most people who like Trump tend to only be concerned with themselves, many not even that much.

While I do not think you are right, being right and being rude are not mutually exclusive. You can be right AND rude. You are not showing me ANY respect. I am more bothered that you -think- you are rather than you actually respecting me though.

Again, you are not making any attempt to understand or educate. Reaching across the isle would be tryng to understand my point of view and understanding why I think how I do. You are not doing that.

The viewpoint that everyone who disagrees with me must be a Nazi is not my viewpoint. It is a flagrant misrepresentation of me and my views meant to defame me. The only people who have that view so far have been people who well, extremely disagree with my political views. Plenty of people disagree with me who I do not think are a Nazi, and I do not think think I think they are a Nazi. In Trump terms, it is 'fake news'.

Trump was not democratically elected, Hillary got more votes.

I have many privilages. I do not let that blind me to the suffering of others. The problem is how many people have privilage and claim that if they have it so great, how can anyone else have it bad? I am privilaged for being an American and not in China or the Middle East. I am privilaged for living in New York. I have enough troubles being trans in New York, I could not imagine how horrible it must be for LGBT people in most red states.

Saelune:
Snip

Just Ebola:
Snup

I know the topic of idiots leads naturally into politics, but I made this outside of R&P for a reason. That reason was that I didn't want it consumed by yet another endless petty argument. So if you don't mind, could you continue this elsewhere. (Or drop it, I don't care)

Just Ebola:

Saelune:
Democracy = vote of the people. More people voted for Clinton than for Trump. Calling a Republic a Democracy is wrong. People who like Trump tend to be people who do not face adversity. Just because they do not understand that black people are unfairly targeted by the police, that women are held to unfair standards that men are not, and that gays are treated as deviant monsters, does not make their problems not real. Most people who like Trump tend to only be concerned with themselves, many not even that much.

While I do not think you are right, being right and being rude are not mutually exclusive. You can be right AND rude. You are not showing me ANY respect. I am more bothered that you -think- you are rather than you actually respecting me though.

Again, you are not making any attempt to understand or educate. Reaching across the isle would be tryng to understand my point of view and understanding why I think how I do. You are not doing that.

The viewpoint that everyone who disagrees with me must be a Nazi is not my viewpoint. It is a flagrant misrepresentation of me and my views meant to defame me. The only people who have that view so far have been people who well, extremely disagree with my political views. Plenty of people disagree with me who I do not think are a Nazi, and I do not think think I think they are a Nazi. In Trump terms, it is 'fake news'.

Trump was not democratically elected, Hillary got more votes.

I have many privilages. I do not let that blind me to the suffering of others. The problem is how many people have privilage and claim that if they have it so great, how can anyone else have it bad? I am privilaged for being an American and not in China or the Middle East. I am privilaged for living in New York. I have enough troubles being trans in New York, I could not imagine how horrible it must be for LGBT people in most red states.

The way the US election process works isn't based off the sheer number of votes, if that were they case, cities like LA and NYC (your roost, which doesn't surprise me) would determine every election. We have delegates, and an electoral college, and considering Trump won despite heavy influence by the left should tell you a lot. Yet you insist the career criminally Hilary Clinton is the rightful president. And I'm not being hyperbolic when I say criminal. I, for one, think the US has no place for political dynasties, and we've had enough Clinton for a fucking lifetime.

But yea, better her than Trump, who committed the unforgiveable sin of banging a porn star. That's pretty much all rich old men do, it'd take a fool to be shocked or offended by that.

You have no sense of awareness, I could just as easily say people on the left are ignorant millennials that think they can have everything provided for them if the suck Marx's dick.

I'm going to lay down some difficult truths for you. There is no such thing as white privilege, blacks are responsible for more black death than any other race, and men are held to standards that are just as unfair as women's standards. I can't say I'm surprised you have a persecution complex though.

I've shown you more respect than you show the people who try to have a conversation with you, who write paragraph upon paragraph that you meet with a few dismissive lines. I'm not being rude by disagreeing with you, I'm not being rude by poking holes in your paper-thin logic.

I understand your position perfectly, I've seen you push your flawed ideology for a long time. I've tried to educate by pointing out the flaws in your logic, but you'd rather play the wounded party or barely respond than learn.

You can say you don't treat the opposition like Nazis until you're blue in the face, but every time I've seen you argue someone from the right, you religiously fall back on the whole Nazi clich?. Anyone disagrees with you? They must be a Nazi, or a racist, or a bigot. Putting aside the million fucking reasons they might want Trump as president that don't include being a monster.

You know how many people of privilege I know who can't fathom people might not be as well off as them? Fucking zero. Isn't it crazy how people other than you can have self-awareness? I applaud you for realizing how privileged you are, but you even seem uniquely privileged compared to most escapists. There are people who have been here 10+ years (myself included) who haven't reached the level of prolific you have. Even if it's not a good prolific.

For someone who's always shitting on the so called "privileged" you seem to be in the top 1% as far as internet trollers.

Also no. You're lucky you weren't born in the middle east, where they throw they're LGBT folk off of rooves, on a good day. Red states aren't all that bad, speaking as one who grew up in Texas. Nice try though.

Drath asked us to stop.

Saelune:

No, democracy said Trump won, that's how the US collegiate system works. Hence, President. Privilege is a nonsense term used by far left marxists to try and demean others while claiming moral superiority. You're privileged to have Internet, a computer and live in a democratic country where you can be rude about your leader publicly. If you said a word against the rulers of China, Egypt, any Arab state, N. Korea and other less free countries, you'd be jailed or executed for speaking out. You have more privilege than over half the world, so be thankful.

This thread has become toxic. I'll give all of you exactly one more chance to remember the part about civility and respect towards other users. Any more rude comments or flame baiting will see more warnings handed out and the thread closed.

Well, the average person is kinda dumb. Therefore, half of all people are dumber than that, which I guess would put them into the "stupid" category. By that standard, no, *most* people aren't stupid.

KingsGambit:

Saelune:

No, democracy said Trump won, that's how the US collegiate system works. Hence, President. Privilege is a nonsense term used by far left marxists to try and demean others while claiming moral superiority. You're privileged to have Internet, a computer and live in a democratic country where you can be rude about your leader publicly. If you said a word against the rulers of China, Egypt, any Arab state, N. Korea and other less free countries, you'd be jailed or executed for speaking out. You have more privilege than over half the world, so be thankful.

The US is not a Democracy. The EC is undemocratic and a tool created to serve racism. And as I said, bringing up privilege just upsets people, but it is a real thing. And yeah, I AM thankful that I can criticize Trump without being jailed or assassinated, but that does not mean I should be -thankful- that we are getting closer to that not being true as Trump constantly pushes us further and further to well, that. Trump believes we should be forced to stand for the anthem. He has praised China's abolition of term limits. And he is in bed with Russia.

Trump is a cancer to American freedom. No, we are not as bad as China, Russia, North Korea, etc...and lets KEEP it that way.

Everybodies an idiot outside of their own field of knowledge, training or experience. Even intelligent scientists can be wrong about their opinions on things outside their field. The worlds too big for any one person to have all the skills and knowledge needed these days.

Thats why we need to trust each others opinions when they are more qualified and realise our unqualifed opinions are worth shit, like what the fuck does the average person know about Global Warming? Way too complicated to understand how the weather fully works without years of study. So just trust the experts. Yet we think our opinions are so precious.

aegix drakan:
I personally wouldn't say "idiots"...But humans are irrational, often uneducated in the matters they're talking about, and prone to actions that are counterproductive because in the moment they seem to make sense.

CaitSeith:
Now that most have stated they think most people are idiots, here is a question for you to think about: are you one?

Absolutely.

Like, I'm pretty damn smart about a lot of things, but I'll freely admit that I do dumb things or do act without thinking, or otherwise do things expected of an idiot sometimes.

Hell, I keep going back into R&P knowing full well that I'm just going to get mad at someone not showing any empathy and then proceeding to say something deliberately infuriating...And that I'm just gonna waste time and energy getting upset over it. But I just keep doing it. I'd say that qualifies as "idiot" territory. XD

But hey, being aware that you're being an idiot is the first step to not being one. At least until your next dumb move, right?

Ah, I can definitely relate there. I don't go to R&P, but similarly, there are certain posters whom I won't name, and every time they leave something, I end up eagerly jumping to their posts thinking, "All right! Maybe this time he'll say something tactful and thoughtful! Come on! Don't let me down!" I'm almost always disappointed, but can't seem to stop hoping to be surprised. Really reminds me of Vas's definition of insanity. Haha.

It is more that people are just ignorant or not thinking. I have had people ask "What are the odds?" to correct change and have them look shocked to hear "One in a hundred" almost everyone knows this but people are still shocked to hear it even if it from a cashier that is literally experiencing such odds.

Lol, ebola got suspended.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or