Um, what happened to this site?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Why has this thread not been locked yet?

Alot of bad blood here it seems. I do agree with Canadamus Prime, can we have a mod lock this thread please? Thank you

WolvDragon:

Worgen:
As far as I can tell the owners awhile back let the gamer gate idiots pull up shop here and that ended up pissing off a lot of the content creators and split the sites user base. Once all that calmed down most of them left but they had managed to push a lot of the other users off the site so we hemorrhaged the rest of our content creators aside from Yahtzee. Keep in mind this might not be accurate, I tend to lurk and not give a damn, I'm mostly going by what I remember others saying.

So Gamergate is to blame then?

We kind of are, people must not associate with GamerGate. I am one thud I am a racist, misogynist, Nazi, and A Rpaeist thus no person an even be seen in my presence unless they are aswell.

Inb4 lock.

n0e:
Well, hindsight has taught anyone involved that allowing the discussion of GG to happen in this community has done more harm than good, and should never have been allowed, as it was shunned by other gaming and "nerd" communities.

If that's the case, all that "gamers are dead" stuff should have been banned too, since it's the other side of the coin. Otherwise you'd just be emulating the purity spirals of NeoGAF and the like (until it unsurprisingly collapsed under its own judgmentality). And whatever you can call those communities, "non-toxic" ain't exactly the first thing that comes to mind.

The unfortunate reality is that people who are active on forums are often the upwardly mobile ones, with aspirations to being a "better class" of hobbyist (intellectual, even). So they identify with who they perceive to be "opinion leaders" (such as the GJP crowd), and take criticism of these questionable role models personally. That's why such topics are so seemingly divisive, it's all to do with asserting one's superiority to the hordes of commoners around one. The kindling, as it were, was ready and primed for a conflagration. That's not a particularly "healthy community".

Of course the whole thing could have passed within a week or two with a minimal show of responsibility on the part of the media. But such was their hubris that any idea of responsibility was unthinkable. So here we are now.

Also, to everyone confused about this, let the record show that the only content creator who voluntarily left the site appears to have been "God Have Mercy On" Jim Sterling, son.

WolvDragon:
Alot of bad blood here it seems. I do agree with Canadamus Prime, can we have a mod lock this thread please? Thank you

That would be notably ironic, wouldn't it? Keeping the GG megathread open all those years but closing down a thread that debates the megathread's effect on the decline of this site?

Not saying it shouldn't be locked, BTW, since it appears this is headed in exactly direction so many of these discussions have gone in past. Just noting how ironic, not to mention how indicative of said decline, it would be.

Exley97:

WolvDragon:

That would be notably ironic, wouldn't it? Keeping the GG megathread open all those years but closing down a thread that debates the megathread's effect on the decline of this site?

Not saying it shouldn't be locked, BTW, since it appears this is headed in exactly direction so many of these discussions have gone in past. Just noting how ironic, not to mention how indicative of said decline, it would be.

Well the difference is I am personally asking it to be locked because I don't think it's gonna do us any good if the site's members are at each others throats. I never paid much attention to the drama the forums had until now, so I was curious as to what was causing the escapist's decline. I never intended it to be another battlefield about GG.

Locked per OP's request.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked